Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 14:00   #496
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Hyundai seems to have got the pricing reasonably spot-on. The equipment list in the ANHV is never ending. The engine specs look very good on paper. The 4 speed AT is the only disappointment. If the dynamics of the car are anywhere above decent, the ANHV should be a slap in the face for the arrogant Honda who are on the verge of losing the last vestiges of whatever market share they have. I am happy to see Hyundai coming out with 4 engine variants.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:03   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Anyone who can live without few (if at all) gizmos and is looking for a comfortable and spacious diesel must test drive the Optra Magnum Diesel. Words won't do justice to the driving pleasure. Stonker of an engine (1991cc, 304Nm Torque, 125bhp). Lots of space. Absolutely brilliant ride. Excellent high speed composure, especially in a straight line. All 4 disc brakes. etc etc. Poor resale value and a dated look make this beast sell under 10L OTR in Delhi for the LT model. The LS is cheaper by about 1L.

GM has been offering about 30k discount on this for a few months atleast, under one name or another.

It almost a decade old! else yes, its a good car. Sad that they priced it a bit higher initially and there was a.s.s. & technical issues.

The AT diesel will be one of its strong selling points IMHO.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:07   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who can live without few (if at all) gizmos and is looking for a comfortable and spacious diesel must test drive the Optra Magnum Diesel. Words won't do justice to the driving pleasure. Stonker of an engine (1991cc, 304Nm Torque, 125bhp). Lots of space. Absolutely brilliant ride. Excellent high speed composure, especially in a straight line. All 4 disc brakes. etc etc. Poor resale value and a dated look make this beast sell under 10L OTR in Delhi for the LT model. The LS is cheaper by about 1L.

GM has been offering about 30k discount on this for a few months atleast, under one name or another.
Thanks for that info Poitive. Though this is , I would like to know the rpm band in which the max torque of 304Nm is reached. I don't doubt the highway manners of this vehicle, but it this agile enough for city driving?
Old 12th May 2011, 14:08   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
It almost a decade old! else yes, its a good car. Sad that they priced it a bit higher initially and there was a.s.s. & technical issues.

The AT diesel will be one of its strong selling points IMHO.
Being old is what makes it sell under 10L. Are there any significant a.s.s. or technical issues at present?

Since this is going a bit off topic, you may want to reply at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html

----------------------------------------------------

There has been a lot of talk about Verna's pricing and comparing it to the Honda City and VW Vento.

Don't you guys think that Honda and VW should command some premium for the reputation they have built? And it is not hollow reputation. Honda's are well known to be trouble free for very long periods. VW is supposed to be very sturdy and built to last. Don't think Hyundai can claim either.

Besides the costs, the price of course, is based on what the customer is willing to pay. What the customer is willing to pay is influenced by the resale value of the car. Especially in markets like India looking for VFM. Honda's (and probably VW) are likely to fetch a much higher resale, which then makes them better VFM even if they are sold at a higher initial price.

Am I going to be beaten like for making Honda seem VFM?
Old 12th May 2011, 14:14   #500
Senior - BHPian

Visited the showroom today and inquired about the brochure and the price list. They didnt have the brochure but gave me a price list which I am enclosing. These are on-road Delhi prices
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundai-price-list-i20-accent-verna-sonata-santa-fe-x0001.jpg  

harjeev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 14:16   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for that info Poitive. Though this is , I would like to know the rpm band in which the max torque of 304Nm is reached. I don't doubt the highway manners of this vehicle, but it this agile enough for city driving?
If I remember correctly, after BS4 revisions it is reached at 2000 rmp. There is a lot that is talked about Turbolag. To me it seems only a matter of getting used to your vehicle. Unless you change between driving many different cars, it should be east to get used to in a few weeks. Unless you drive a whole lot in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, the Optra should be fine.

Now since this is off topic here, we could discuss more at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...continued.html which discusses 5 diesel test drives and especially the optra.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:52   #502
Senior - BHPian

on road bangalore For AT CRDi 13.69
Old 12th May 2011, 14:55   #503
BHPian

Thanks @Eddy for enlightening me.
Hey @pamishra, it's on display @ Kothari Hyundai, Kharadi and @vnabhi you have a perfect understanding.
@Sith_lord, I have never denied the fact that VW Vento is a bad car but it too has some problem, and people should accept it.

The whole argument from past 24 hours hrs is about pricing and trust me, they have priced it reasonably.

The problem is with road tax in Bangalore, too high.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:58   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Visited the showroom today and inquired about the brochure and the price list. They didnt have the brochure but gave me a price list which I am enclosing. These are on-road Delhi prices
Cheers
Just noticed from Harjeev's post that Extended warranty cost is put as '0' for verna, sonata and Santa fe. So does that mean Hyundai won’t be providing extended warranty for Verna?
Does Sonata, Santa Fe have extended warranty option?
Old 12th May 2011, 15:36   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rising View Post
Check out the New Fluidic Verna Ad

The music is amazing.....

Also uploaded at Youtube
Stop at 19 seconds into the video and you will know Hyundai's handling benchmark I think they could have taken up a better theme and come up with much better execution. Please give us an ad which does justice to the car Hyundai.

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th May 2011 at 17:24. Reason: Please DO NOT quoting large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 16:12   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
@Sith_lord, I have never denied the fact that VW Vento is a bad car but it too has some problem, and people should accept it.

Would go in for the German technology and what Vento offers as a total package rather than the Korean!

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th May 2011 at 16:13.
Old 12th May 2011, 17:31   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I remember correctly, after BS4 revisions it is reached at 2000 rmp. There is a lot that is talked about Turbolag. To me it seems only a matter of getting used to your vehicle. Unless you change between driving many different cars, it should be east to get used to in a few weeks. Unless you drive a whole lot in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, the Optra should be fine.
I dont think any diesel car would get its peak torque as early as 2000rpm. For the Cruze, it's 2600rpm the peak torque of 324NM is at your behest. So, I would imagine for the Optra, it would be around same rpm range or higher.

What you said about the turbolag is absolutely right. It's just the matter of getting used to it. After a few weeks with it, it becomes a non-existent issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
on road bangalore For AT CRDi 13.69
Holy Cow! They have now encroached the Cruze territory. Wonder who will pay that price for the Verna.

They price so high initially and then in a few months realize it's not selling. Then the discount offers will start coming out. They are repeating their story.

Would be interesting to track figures of AT figures in Bangalore
Old 12th May 2011, 17:35   #508
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Would go in for the German technology and what Vento offers as a total package rather than the Korean!
Cheers!
Guess Indian manufacturers should have no hope as they are so far behind the Koreans! Hyundai is the 5th largest manufacturer in the world and must be respected for that. However individuals can have their preferences but the car must not be viewed from a nationality perspective.

Cheers

KPS
Old 12th May 2011, 17:45   #509
Senior - BHPian

Please excuse me for this Off-topic post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008

I dont think any diesel car would get its peak torque as early as 2000rpm.
I beg to differ with you here.

For instance, Maruti Swift 1.3 produces a maximum torque of 190Nm @ 2000rpm

Fiat Punto 1.3 produces a max torque of 197Nm @ 1750rpm.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:23   #510
BHPian

I spoke to Trident, he said OTR for AT D is 13.43! Compared to the Delhi rates, makes me wonder why we are being ripped off in Blr.

Having said that, is there still a diesel auto that compares with this new car, price included? The Vento looks great, has great quality interiors, but what about long term running costs? All German cars tend to cost you a lot in the long run. It also doesn't have a diesel auto.

GC according to the rep is 165.

Another query on the key is what happens if you leave the key inside, lock the doors manually and close the door? Will it still open because key is sensed nearby or would you need the spare?

Hope to do a TD soon on the diesel AT. If I like its city handling, I'll go for it and give out the interview that someone here wanted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks