Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 23:11   #526
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
.....I feel the SX makes a good buy and should help the Bangy guys from that extra tax too. And I believe the 13.xx lakhs is a total rip off for a 4 speed Auto. At that price, I would start looking at the Cruze.
In that case, Bangy people should always purchase a car which is a segment below the car of their choice. Because, the TAX pushes a vehicle to the next segment, which doesnt seem VFM or affordable

So it'll be like

I look for Verna.... 13L OTR (Well.... Lets bump up to next segment)

Wow, Cruze (150 BHp).... 15L+ OTR (Ah, C'mon.. We'll try a segment above)

Jetta?? Hmmm.. Superb??? Ummmm... ~20L OTR (OMG!! what have I got myself into!!!!!)

Take a re-look... GO Down ~3 segments

Fiesta Classic, Dzire, Manza, Etios??

Prices well under this New Verna...

In this case, bottom line of Hyundai QED'd -> New Thinking New Possibilities
(though the culprit is tax)

PS: But I still love this new Verna ;-) (Ting!)
Old 12th May 2011, 23:20   #527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
on road bangalore For AT CRDi 13.69
Wow that is some insane pricing. Are you still going for it?

I was feeling a realistic price would be between 12 and 12.5 on road here but 13.69 is way out.
Old 12th May 2011, 23:59   #528
BHPian

New Verna

US Top End Petrol Accent (Verna) - Price 672000
India Top End Petrol Verna - Price 900000+

Both are and will be produced in their respective countries. So why the difference? and What VFM are you guys talking about. You can get a Sonata in 10 lacs in the US.

How do you decide VFM, by comparing features? by comparing other cars in that segment? Whats your criteria?
Old 13th May 2011, 00:17   #529
BHPian

I think the pricing is higher than expected but a lot of folks are reasonably happy with it so Hyundai should not have trouble finding buyers. But with the market becoming competitive I wonder how the 10-12 lakh segment will pan out.

Honda is probably responsible for taking this segment close to 10 lakhs than it should be but that no reason for others to follow suit. From my perspective Hyundai in all markets is serious VFM but somehow in India most manufacturers tend to veer towards higher pricing.
Old 13th May 2011, 00:35   #530
Senior - BHPian

Ok i see some people trying to defend the top end diesel and petrol pricing of the Verna. My question is what price will the Elantra sell at now? Will it be a 15 Lakh plus car? Isnt that a nail in the coffin for a car that does hold some potential?
And what about the new Sonata/I45? Will we its pricing closer to the Accord now?

The Lower end variants do seem well priced and they will form the bulk of sales.
Old 13th May 2011, 00:55   #531
BHPian

Went to the showroom today to have a look at the car & get the Mumbai pricelist & the brochure. Unfortunately, they ran out of brochures & gave me a xerox of the feature sheet of the brochure. Will post both soon. They didnt have a test drive car yet & it should arrive by next week.

The car was white and was the top end variant - SX(O) AT. Will also post some views regarding seeing the car for the first time along with the feature sheet & pricelist.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:32   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I dont think any diesel car would get its peak torque as early as 2000rpm. For the Cruze, it's 2600rpm the peak torque of 324NM is at your behest. So, I would imagine for the Optra, it would be around same rpm range or higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Please excuse me for this Off-topic post.
I beg to differ with you here.

For instance, Maruti Swift 1.3 produces a maximum torque of 190Nm @ 2000rpm

Fiat Punto 1.3 produces a max torque of 197Nm @ 1750rpm.
Checked the brochure. Optra (BS4) does produce peak 305NM torque at 2000 RPM. Before BS4, if I remember correctly, it used to peak at a higher RPM but it had about 19NM more torque. Peak power has increased from ~120ps to 125ps though at a higher 3800 RPM. (if there is more to discuss on this, let us do it on the Optra/Diesel Sedan thread).

Back to Hyundai and Verna now. Like Honda and Toyota, Hyundai seems to produce 'all round/please all' sort of cars. The Japs are supposedly a whole lot more reliable and with a longer life. That to my mind, justifies them charging more. At a quick look, the Verna does seem to be priced a bit on the higher side.

As was said in posts before too, it does seem selling models across the wide price bands may hurt the higher priced models. Someone spending 11-13L may may have a perceived image of say 7-8L, which would hurt a lot of image conscious buyers. I think that is why Honda would not have introduced "value" models (without some gizmos and safety features) - to keep the image based buyer happy. To keep the badge with some premium.

I don't particularly like the Honda city etc. But do appreciate some parts of how they run their business.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:41   #533
BHPian

Looks are very impressive, but pricing is little steep for people who would be interested in going from Hatch to Sedan Migrations.

Though I can say Looks Do "The" Kill
Just Love the Sharp design, in hindi i would call it very Kataksha
Old 13th May 2011, 01:56   #534
BHPian

I spent some time today with the displayed 1.6 CRDi SX(o). While I was seated in the car with Smart Key inside and Engine OFF, music system refused to turn ON. It worked only when the car engine was running! Is this a design aspect that the music system will work only when the engine is ON or am I missing something here? The sales rep who was sitting with me was surprised totally and told me that music system won't work till the engine is ON. I found this quite weird, though the sales rep seemed to be someone with below par knowledge about this car! Though, the turn key is missing in SX(o), isn't there a way to turn the music system ON without burning fuel?

Last edited by vinu99@gmail.co : 13th May 2011 at 01:57.
Old 13th May 2011, 02:32   #535
BHPian

Bro when u in the car with the key..when u 1st press the start button the ignition comes on then the deck works...2nd press car starts,thats what bi did when i went to check the car,By the way guys i have booked sx o diesel white color on 11 may,the dayy it was launched.the dealer ran out of brochures,But he had a big booklet with verna and comparing it to other cars like honda city and all.he said it was for their traning,i was tempted to take it away..lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu99@gmail.co View Post
I spent some time today with the displayed 1.6 CRDi SX(o). While I was seated in the car with Smart Key inside and Engine OFF, music system refused to turn ON. It worked only when the car engine was running! Is this a design aspect that the music system will work only when the engine is ON or am I missing something here? The sales rep who was sitting with me was surprised totally and told me that music system won't work till the engine is ON. I found this quite weird, though the sales rep seemed to be someone with below par knowledge about this car! Though, the turn key is missing in SX(o), isn't there a way to turn the music system ON without burning fuel?
Old 13th May 2011, 07:09   #536
Senior - BHPian

Oh, i think we all are repeating the same thing that we did during the launch of i20 and i10 Facelift - 'Bashing up Hyundai for overpricing and for being over-confident'. But month on month, still people are clueless why those two 'i' cars (which are perceived to be overpriced) sells in quantities that the competition could only dream of. The same will happen again with the New Verna.

While bashing up Hyundai for the top-end CRDI AT version, we seem to forget the 9 other variants that have been priced from 6.99 Lacs. There is a Verna for everyone - from the Dzire buyer to the Cruze buyer. And this is definitely going to play into their hands.

The numbers that Hyundai loses (the image-conscious buyers) would be much much lesser than the numbers they would gain (buying from the Dzire/Manza segment trying to upgrade) with the new Verna.
Old 13th May 2011, 07:10   #537
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
New Verna

US Top End Petrol Accent (Verna) - Price 672000
India Top End Petrol Verna - Price 900000+

Both are and will be produced in their respective countries. So why the difference? and What VFM are you guys talking about. You can get a Sonata in 10 lacs in the US.

How do you decide VFM, by comparing features? by comparing other cars in that segment? Whats your criteria?
In my opinion, the criteria should be based on what is available in the market, and who are the immediate competitors. In this case, it will be usual suspects – Vento, City, New Fiesta etc.

It’s mentioned in many other threads as well – comparing with US, or any other markets does not make much sense. If the Sonata is available for 10 lakhs in the US, the same car costs around 43 lakhs on-road in Singapore. That does not stop Singaporeans from buying the car
Old 13th May 2011, 08:09   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
Bro when u in the car with the key..when u 1st press the start button the ignition comes on then the deck works...2nd press car starts,thats what bi did when i went to check the car,By the way guys i have booked sx o diesel white color on 11 may,the dayy it was launched.the dealer ran out of brochures,But he had a big booklet with verna and comparing it to other cars like honda city and all.he said it was for their traning,i was tempted to take it away..lol
Thank you Jeetu. I will check this next time I visit Hyundai. Hyundai should ask their Sales reps to go through Team-bhp and educate themselves before they talk anything about the new Verna . Congratulations on your booking. White looks elegant
Old 13th May 2011, 08:47   #539
BHPian

I think people are finding it overpriced becuase they are just looking at the top variants. The verna has many variants that stretches in a huge price band, 7lakhs - 11 lakhs ex showroom. I think if we look at each variant and compare its features with the competition it might not be that over-priced.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:14   #540
BHPian

1.6 VTVT SX at 9.98 Lakhs on-road Bangalore? That is the same as the Vento 1.6 Petrol Highline.

What would the potential buyer choose? Perceived premium brand(VW) vs Actual premium features(Hyundai)?

A very tough call for the buyer! I will say this though, Hyundai has kept the positioning very much in line with what they did with the i20.

However, make no mistake. The reign of the Honda City is well and truly over. With the Vento and the Verna in such form, Honda needs to kit its car to the hilt (if they want to keep the price premium) or lower the price (which is unlikely to happen).

Though I must confess, if I were in the market to buy a sedan right now, I would still go for the Honda. The back seat is much more comfortable than in any other C-segment car. The drive is spectacular, that i-VTEC engine is simply to die for. It just needs more features to justify the price. The absence of ACC is inexplicable, for instance.

On another note, what will this car do to the SX4 Diesel? Just as Maruti was beginning to come good with its sedan, comes this knockout punch from its Korean rival.

Last edited by Pyrotek : 13th May 2011 at 09:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks