Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 23:44   #466
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
For those calling the verna overpriced, check out how much the city is priced at and how underequipped the city is. And please compare the ex showroom price, not the on road price. The verna is fantastically and competitively priced. Just what I expected, in the range of 7-11 lakhs ex showroom. And check the features that the SX-O comes with.
The city is horribly overpriced. No questions on that. I would never put down close to 13L on a 4 speed auto. About the features, well some of them are just a novelty thing for the first few days. The SX seems ok to me. Some doubts I have on the new Verna are that it might not be fuel efficient in the city (ever present turbo-lag). I am also very apprehensive about the service costs. My first paid service on the i20 diesel cost me 5K. Anyways I will take a test drive and decide between New Verna SX/SX(o) and Cruze.

One question I had was between the cruze and the new Verna, which is a better handler?

Last edited by shivasuma : 11th May 2011 at 23:46.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:48   #467
BHPian

I second that, sidindica. People keep comparing the prices of other top-end cars with ANHC, which is under-equipped. I too feel that Hyundai has a winner or at least one among the winners.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:53   #468
Senior - BHPian

I meant the view through the IRVM. Of course it is also true that I don't like the rear profile of the car. Looks a bit bulky and disproportionate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise

Agree with you. This rear thing puts me off when it comes to Verna design. Vento is worst?? I liked it a lot though the tail lamp could have been bettered

Rear seats of verna has very poor thigh support..even rear seat center portion has a little bumpy leather packing

On front visibility, for me it looks like both does not offer a great view

Confusion continues
Old 11th May 2011, 23:56   #469
BHPian

I have an ANHC and i20 CRDi Asta(O) [with six airbags and sunroof]

I honestly prefer ANHC to i20. I used to HATE ANHC - But now regret I bought the high-end Hyundai - What use is all gizmos if the basic car isn't great? Terrible AC, Lousy steering, dynamics like a boat and so on. [On paper has 90 BHP and 224 Nm Torque!]

I'll rather plonk my money on arrogant Honda instead of unstable Hyundai with all the gizmos.

12.5L for a Hyundai Verna (OTR Bangalore?)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 11th May 2011 at 23:58.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 00:24   #470
BHPian

I feel the prices are very competitive. So looks like almost all OEM's in this segment have aligned themselves and got the prices pretty much in the right slot except for Honda.

Well done Hyundai.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:07   #471
Senior - BHPian

Today's TOI carries the news of new Verna launch.

Article Window

HMIL has set up an aggressive target of selling at least 45000 units in the first year.

Strangely though there is no ad of the new Verna in today's TOI, whereas the Pune Times carries an ad of Optra Magnum Diesel @ 8.62 lacs (free insurance). Is this the new Verna effect?

Article Window
Old 12th May 2011, 08:14   #472
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : SX or the SX(O)

Watching a few movies where radio locks are decoded by handheld computers, it better to have the key lock in the steering?

A google search for keyless auto theft or similar throws up scary data.
an example is Car Theft by Antenna - Technology Review
What happens if the programmable keyfobs get a grey source? i'm willing to bet the auto manufacturers do not have a military grade secure facility to make them.

To start/stop the car, either the button or a key will be required once. A remote opener can suffice as we have been doing this all along. It is better to lock the vehicle manually from inside when parking to avoid any chance of key sniffers and decoders.

Maybe this particular discussion is better off the the relavant thread but in view of the verna variants , i preferred to do it here as the sx only seems to be better after reading the above.

If the same seat trim can be made in a leather of our choice to bring it up to the sx-o, the rear seat can be brought up to provide more comfort.

Chrome handles? Do not affect driving. Why pay money to look good in other's eyes?

6 Airbags? The extra four might be helpful in the rarest cases.

All the rest being the same, why not the SX at 11,38,000 on road Bangalore, instead of the the SX-O which is at 12,56,000?
Old 12th May 2011, 09:40   #473
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it is competitively priced ! A buyer would surely bring the Cruze LT into radar (after stretching the budget). But this car should do well since it is loaded to the brim, Hyundai A.S.S. , looks good and has a good 1.6 CRDI under its hood ! I just hope VW does not hike the prices of the Vento soon and instead give us additional features !
Old 12th May 2011, 10:32   #474
BHPian

Thought of sharing Verna brochure

file has been splitted in to 3 parts due to size limit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Verna brpchure 1.pdf (1.84 MB, 1352 views)
File Type: pdf Verna brochure 2.pdf (2.28 MB, 1385 views)
File Type: pdf Verna brochure 3.pdf (2.65 MB, 1310 views)
phoenix_rising is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 11:24   #475
BHPian

Friends – I was looking at a diesel sedan with budget constraint of 10 Lakhs, My options was limited to Sx4 D (VDi) and now the Verna (1.4 ).

Any feedbacks on the models mentioned with respect to the engine and features. ABS is a feature which makes stretch by budget to the Sx4 zdi and verna 1.6 crdi and this is missing in the lower variants.

Iam also particularly interested in knowing the GC for the verna when compared to the SX4 .
Old 12th May 2011, 11:30   #476
BHPian

Just an update: Yesterday, I went to have a look @ 'New Fluidic Verna', a carbon grey color. Fantastic, out of this world. My grouse is with the beige interiors and under thigh support @ rear seats.
Can we improve the thigh support with some sort of extra cushioning, please answer?
Following are Pune OTR prices of few petrol cars, IMO 'New Fluidic Verna' very well looks like a VFM car when compared to 'Honda City'. It may seem pricey when compared to Vento but here is the catch. Look at the specification and equipment level of 'New Fluidic Verna' and Vento and all of us will realize that it’s not at all expensive.
I beg to differ with members who call Vento as a VFM car, how can a car with, if not many but few design flaws, average equipment level can be termed as a VFM car? A question.
How many of us would have bought a Vento if it was not VW and any other not well known brand, let’s say ‘ICML’?
I agree with ‘The Master’, this car is priced excellently. This Saturday, I will go with my SLR and click some pictures of 'New Fluidic Verna', carbon grey color.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-comparison.jpg  

Old 12th May 2011, 11:43   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Friends – I was looking at a diesel sedan with budget constraint of 10 Lakhs, My options was limited to Sx4 D (VDi) and now the Verna (1.4 ).

Any feedbacks on the models mentioned with respect to the engine and features. ABS is a feature which makes stretch by budget to the Sx4 zdi and verna 1.6 crdi and this is missing in the lower variants.

Iam also particularly interested in knowing the GC for the verna when compared to the SX4 .
Ah, Sandeep same here. I was also on lookout for a diesel sedan in same budget range. The 10 L rs limit was made after I stretched out from the budget of diesel hatchbacks ( around 7 lakh range). Then came to know only Sx4 ZDi comes with ABS/ EBD so the budget was stretched to 11 lakh. Now its a dilemma, Verna's bells and whistles list is huge when compared to Sx4, got all disc brakes and a 1.6 L engine. But on the other side I am finding conflicting views regarding Hyundai's diesel engine reliability (past 70k kms)

Also, thanks to 'Optmist' for uploading the brochure link yesterday night itself.
Old 12th May 2011, 11:57   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
I beg to differ with members who call Vento as a VFM car, how can a car with, if not many but few design flaws, average equipment level can be termed as a VFM car?
Can you please elaborate on the design flaws? The new Verna is a good car but calling other cars as "flawed" is plain ignorant. VFM is again a very subjective term. If you want a lot of features in a car, then Verna might be value for money. If you want driving pleasure then its far from VFM. Look at what you want in a car and then decide whether it fits or not. All cars in the market are designed after a lot of research. Each car is good in its own way. See if the car is designed in the way you want and go for it.

Last edited by shivasuma : 12th May 2011 at 12:05.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:14   #479
BHPian

Check out the New Fluidic Verna Ad

The music is amazing.....

Also uploaded at youtube

phoenix_rising is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 12:15   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I have an ANHC and i20 CRDi Asta(O) [with six airbags and sunroof]

I honestly prefer ANHC to i20. I used to HATE ANHC - But now regret I bought the high-end Hyundai - What use is all gizmos if the basic car isn't great? Terrible AC, Lousy steering, dynamics like a boat and so on. [On paper has 90 BHP and 224 Nm Torque!]
I'll rather plonk my money on arrogant Honda instead of unstable Hyundai with all the gizmos.
12.5L for a Hyundai Verna (OTR Bangalore?)
I agree with you. If I want to choose between ANHC and ANHV for petrol AT, I'll go with Honda even if they are arrogant. Why would I pay more money for 4 speed petrol AT from Hyundai where as I can get a funtastic Petrol AT (V-Tech, 5 speed, paddle shift etc) that has all basic safety feature and a great look. I was also a critic of Honda but now I understand why their cars are (were) selling like hot cake even though it was littel over priced.

We need a good car basically and not all those zigmos in a below par car in all aspects unless they price it low. I'm even willing to buy top end Manza for the sheer VFM even compromising on the quality, but not new Verna.

I really hope that Diesel AT is a big failure for Hyundai and they learn from their mistake and provide AT in lower end models that might attract some customers for the VFM.

BTW, I'm the owner of i10 AT and happy with the car for the money I have paid and purpose its serving for me. But I'll not buy Verna AT for their illogical pricing. Now I'm thinking of Scorpio 6 speed diesel AT as I can get that SUV if I pay another 50K more than Verna AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks