Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 15:33   #571
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

I have got an oppurtunity to test drive the new verna 1.6L. The GC is not mentioned any where and the sales consultant mentioned that it would be around 163. I feel 163 is too less for Indian roads and speed breakers. I read a lot of Honda City customer having complaints about the low GC. Could you please share your thoughts if 163 GC will have the issue of hitting high speedbreakers and so on? Thanks in advance.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:37   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks a tonne virtualage. Earlier for me too it was not opening in Mozila Firefox, but when I opened the site in Internet Explorer I could see the missing sections as you rightly pointed out.
Doesn't the link take one to the old Verna Transform page? That is what I got as a landing page, there's no trace of the new Verna?!
Old 13th May 2011, 15:40   #573
BHPian

@ Souravc - Very true. Options are great & the Indian Automobile Sector is truly opening up in all its segments. Apart from the fiesta, Nissan & Skoda (even Renault perhaps) will soon enter this segment.
As for the differentiation, exactly why i mentioned in the post that its regardless of driving dynamics, etc. since the views are based on the parked display car at the showroom. Also, cant comment until the actual test drive with regards to the handling & build quality may not be as good but im thinking that the pep ought to match, if not beat, the competition

@Karthik - no problem
Old 13th May 2011, 16:55   #574
BHPian

At this point of time, there is only one thought which is annoying me and i.e. HMIL have not yet updated their website.

It's still showing an older Verna. I mean, this is totally un-acceptable. Do we have to tell them, why web-sites are meant for?

Have reached to some decision point, that I will be going for 1.6 SX- Petrol and when? may be in next 4-5 months, not to wait for discounts being offered but wish to do some more savings and take less loan as @interest for auto-loans have increased a lot.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:03   #575
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I know comparing doesnt make any sense, that wasnt my point. My point was both are manufactured in their respective countries then why the difference. I can understand about cars like Accord, Camry, etc which are imported and will have import duty, but why these home manufactured cars?
Thats true, but I guess its all about the market. Ours is a market, where a new version of an existing model can easily jump a segment up, and buyers still accept it, and that too in a big way. How good it would have been (for the customer) if the Verna is selling as the new Accent, in or around the same price range
Old 13th May 2011, 18:08   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
While the idea of plonking the 1.4 engines was smart, the pricing is definitely not! It dosent seem like the reduced cost has been passed on to the customer.
I dont see why anyone should go for the base variants, it does not make sense at all!
Very rightly said. I guess Hyundai is looking at the Taxi segment with the 1.4 engines, especially the CRDi. But the price difference should have been at least a lakh between the 1.4 and the 1.6, or with same equipment levels as the base 1.6 if they kept the existing prices. Overall for the entire range of 1.6 barring the AT, though the car remains VFM, I think Hyundai could have really shaken the segment up with about 20-30 K or even 50 K less than the declared prices.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:16   #577

The Website has been updated with the details of the new Fluidic Verna!

Yes it is surprising that the GC has not been mentioned anywhere!!! When I asked the sales consultant he was clueless!! He said it might be around "165-168".

Had a test drive today of the 1.6 L Petrol machine. Couple of things that I noted:

1. The Petrol engine was quite a smooth drive. However there seems to be some amount body roll for the rear passengers.
2. Rear seat upper thigh support is sorely missing as mentioned by everyone. My Maruti Swift has a better thigh support...
3. The space between upper part of the front tyre and the wheel pit is very less. Looks like if I brake hard on a pothole/speedbreaker the tyre will rub against the wheel pit!

I guess Maruti needs to bring in their "Discount Mantra" to their Diesel cars else it will be a tough time for them to sell them...
Old 13th May 2011, 19:55   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynaphade View Post
Have reached to some decision point, that I will be going for 1.6 SX- Petrol and when? may be in next 4-5 months, not to wait for discounts being offered but wish to do some more savings and take less loan as @interest for auto-loans have increased a lot.
If u r going for the new verna, I would suggest u the diesel instead of the petrol. Reasons

Petrol prices are rising and will continue to do so.

Diesel gives more mileage.

Diesel is cheaper than petrol and will remain cheaper in India.

If you checkout the TV reviews most of them if not all have said the diesel handling is better than the petrol one. I think even though the suspension is same they might have put a different suspension coil in the diesel ones either that or the deisel engines weight might be the cause.

Diesel engine lasts forever compared to petrol ones.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:56   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
The GC is not mentioned any where and the sales consultant mentioned that it would be around 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhi_bhat View Post
Yes it is surprising that the GC has not been mentioned anywhere!!! When I asked the sales consultant he was clueless!! He said it might be around "165-168".
True that. The GC hasnt been mentioned anywhere. In comparison, the 1st Gen Verna had a GC of 170 mm AFAIK. Never had any problems even though the GC was reduced when i upsized the tyres.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:20   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
If u r going for the new verna, I would suggest u the diesel instead of the petrol. Reasons

Petrol prices are rising and will continue to do so.

Diesel gives more mileage.

Diesel is cheaper than petrol and will remain cheaper in India.

If you checkout the TV reviews most of them if not all have said the diesel handling is better than the petrol one. I think even though the suspension is same they might have put a different suspension coil in the diesel ones either that or the deisel engines weight might be the cause.

Diesel engine lasts forever compared to petrol ones.
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't diesel engines noisy and heavier? Also what happens to the smooth driving feel that ones gets in petrol? Just thought of asking in case my notions are wrong. No doubt about the prices and FE though.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:31   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't diesel engines noisy and heavier? Also what happens to the smooth driving feel that ones gets in petrol? Just thought of asking in case my notions are wrong. No doubt about the prices and FE though.
Compared to petrol engines the diesel engines are noisy, but if you look at the current gen diesel engines they are really very quite. The engines weight shouldnt matter to this segment, since its diesel and fuel efficient. Most of the people wont bother about the weight of the diesel engine as long as its fuel efficient. I've seen the new verna and like I mentioned in my earlier short review it feels as if you are sitting in a petrol car. Its is so smooth and really very quite.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:41   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Why the heck coundn't Hyundai keep the SX (O) manual diesel under 10L? We could have saved some on the road tax here in Bangalore. Just because of 4K we will end up spending 30K more I think.

This point should be brought to the notice of the Hyundai people. There is every likelihood that they will price it at Rs. 9,99,999/- for Karnataka to boost sales of that particular model. They can even make some of the things like alloys optional or the spare wheel optional or some thing else which can be easily fitted optional and bring down the price.

Somebody having contacts with the Hyundai people who can do some thing about it please convey the message.

The road tax in Karnataka is insanely abnormal and the idiot chief minister who is also the finance minister is increasing the road tax every year in every budget which is totally baseless.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:51   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
This point should be brought to the notice of the Hyundai people. There is every likelihood that they will price it at Rs. 9,99,999/- for Karnataka to boost sales of that particular model. They can even make some of the things like alloys optional or the spare wheel optional or some thing else which can be easily fitted optional and bring down the price.

Somebody having contacts with the Hyundai people who can do some thing about it please convey the message.

The road tax in Karnataka is insanely abnormal and the idiot chief minister who is also the finance minister is increasing the road tax every year in every budget which is totally baseless.
Pricing it at 9,99,999 would mean that they reduce the price of the top end diesel MT (SX-O) by 17K odd. Alloy wheels are standard for this segment, only thing I can think of is the chrome interior package, that just might reduce the price by 17K or so.

+1 to the comment on Karnataka road taxes, given the state of roads!
Old 13th May 2011, 21:16   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
True that. The GC hasnt been mentioned anywhere. In comparison, the 1st Gen Verna had a GC of 170 mm AFAIK. Never had any problems even though the GC was reduced when i upsized the tyres.
This is quite strange, why HMIL is mum over the ground clearance of its New Verna. I was browsing through the Hyundai Internantional website, & there for the Accent the Minimum Ground Clearance (mm) is specified as 140mm.

Hyundai Asia Resources, Inc.

It would be better if members who are visiting their nearest showroom carry a measuring tape with them & actually measure the GC. Only this can rest all the speculations & doubts @ GC to rest.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:19   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

If the GC was good it would have found its way in the specifications!

Hope it is above 170mm.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks