Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 23:31   #646
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Wish the new Fiesta & the 1.6 Multijet would be as much fun to drive, else I would cut a cheque for the Fluidic Verna
The new fiesta would win hands down if its fun to drive factor you are looking at. So would the Linea but there is no news of the 1.6 multijet, only rumors. The fiesta would lose out on space and power.
Old 16th May 2011, 00:31   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Guys,
I happened to visit Blue Hyundai in Mysore road, Bangalore today. As I own Vento Diesel Highline, I was naturally curious to compare Vento & "Fluidic" Verna. I took many snaps through my phone & here they are along with my observations..
Liked your keen observations done between VW Vento & ANH-Verna.
Haven't you seen its base 1.4l CRDi or VTVT variant !
As its the variant which is pitted directly against the base diesel benchmarks, like SX4 Diesel & VW Vento TL 1.6 TDi & can only tell how much VFM this car actually is.
Old 16th May 2011, 01:19   #648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Braking seems to be just enough during the above drive. My i10 with uprated tyres seems to brakes sharper. Guess a tyre upgrade from the B250 will be required.
Braking of the i10 better than the New Verna. Despite all 4 discs on the Verna? With the kind of power the Verna is supposed to have on paper. Seems like a serious flaw. A car with all the power, but not the stability, predictability and brakes to match is no good.

Quote:
Caution: Long post, read at liesure

As the engine came to life, there was almost "pin drop silence", the engine was hardly audible.
The car pulled effortlessly with the AC on full blast. The gear shift was quite smooth. The car builds up momentum after 1500 rpm, & beyond 2000K it is a real beast (I could feel the adrenaline rush). With 6 people onboard & AC ON, the way in which the car pulled was simply superb. (Just imagine a man used to driving a Normally Aspirated Indica V2 for 7 years, the feeling was beyond imagination).
2. The rear visibility did not cause me much of a problem.
7. When I was cruising @ 80 in 5th gear on an open road, a bicycle chap suddenly made a right turn from nowwhere. The SE had his heart in his mouth, but not me. The brakes are damn good & the car behave well under sudden braking. Whole credit to the all 4 discs, ABS with EBD
Everyone seems to be praising the silent diesel. It "sounds" impressive.

Am surprised that there wasn't a problem with the rear visibility. The boot does seem pretty high. Without having driven the car, that seemed like a potential problem, especially fast highway driving.

Optimist and Autoindian seem to have pretty diverse views about the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The new fiesta would win hands down if its fun to drive factor you are looking at. So would the Linea but there is no news of the 1.6 multijet, only rumors. The fiesta would lose out on space and power.
About those rumors of the 1.6MJD - are there any for a 1.6 on the Manza?
Old 16th May 2011, 09:08   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of observations:
1. The much talked about rear seat under thigh support (this is the thorn in the neck), though ladies didn't complain about it, Dad who is 5'9" cribbed about it. Fortunately most of the times he would be in the co-drivers seat & this shouldn't be a deal breaker.
2. The rear visibility did not cause me much of a problem.
3. The 16 inchers fill up the wheel wells, leaving very little gap. Now the suspension being tuned on the softer side I am a bit apprehensinve about the tyres rubbing against the well, when car is fully loaded.
4. The front bumper bottom is exactly 185 mm above the ground level (measured with a tape). So for a car with GC of 165mm as said earlier, there would be some parts at a level even lower than the front bumper, couldn't make out as it was dark.
5. When the ignition is turned on, the dash is illuminated with the blue-white light for day running (This is also a very handy feature). When the parking light is turned on the dash light dims quite a bit. In most of the cars I have observed that the instrument cluster is illuminated only when the parking light is turned on along with the key in ignition position.
6. The boot is humungous & the spare wheel is an alloy.
7. When I was cruising @ 80 in 5th gear on an open road, a bicycle chap suddenly made a right turn from nowwhere. The SE had his heart in his mouth, but not me. The brakes are damn good & the car behave well under sudden braking. Whole credit to the all 4 discs, ABS with EBD
Hey AutoIndian,

That was a good review!

BTW, How was the handling of the car? Since you drove it above 100kmph, did you always feel in control of the car, esp at corners? How was the steering...too light? did it weigh up as you crossed 100kmph?
Old 16th May 2011, 09:23   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Braking of the i10 better than the New Verna. Despite all 4 discs on the Verna? With the kind of power the Verna is supposed to have on paper. Seems like a serious flaw. A car with all the power, but not the stability, predictability and brakes to match is no good.
You see that the car's speed was pushed hard maybe to 90-100 and braked from there. It felt adequate enough, as i was not the driver. Will go for a test drive again by late morning as i hope to get some more time with the car and verify again for myself. Damn! too many people wanting to go for a drive makes the showroom give only a 2Km ride.

You see i don't push my i10 like that and it's tyres are in the signature below. They really really help as they stay planted on turns including turns with rough patches (repaired stretches) and have a great bite. Good Yoko's

Quote:
Everyone seems to be praising the silent diesel. It "sounds" impressive.
Let me do it again as i came away disgusted with the Vento, Fiesta, Polo, Figo. When pushed past 3500 rpm, there was a nice roar and not the noisy clatter from the rest.

Quote:
Am surprised that there wasn't a problem with the rear visibility. The boot does seem pretty high. Without having driven the car, that seemed like a potential problem, especially fast highway driving.
No it's managable. The size if the IRVM seems to be just barely enough and does not cover the full window. The reversing display is great without which the driver will be handicapped while reversing. Besides, having a vehicle like this who needs a RVM on the highways? It's in the city they will be a letdown.
The visibility of the orvm's are acceptable. They also have a great adjustment range where you can look till the mid pillars and can very clearly see the where the rear tyre is going if needed.

Quote:
Optimist and Autoindian seem to have pretty diverse views about the brakes.
Explained above.

Last edited by optimist : 16th May 2011 at 09:52. Reason: reworded for clarity
Old 16th May 2011, 09:25   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Hey AutoIndian,

That was a good review!

BTW, How was the handling of the car? Since you drove it above 100kmph, did you always feel in control of the car, esp at corners? How was the steering...too light? did it weigh up as you crossed 100kmph?
Thanks mate. Since I was with my family, didn't throw the car at corners. But in the 25kms test drive, never felt the car let me down. The steering was super smooth & when I crossed 100kmph it did not weight up as folks over here would wish, but felt to be in total control. That was a very short 100+ kmph stint though, to make any concluding judgement. Wish I had hit the highway to test its real character at three digit speeds.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:06   #652
Senior - BHPian

Technical Specifications and Price Comparison has been added to the review in the second post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2330981
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 10:21   #653
BHPian

Any comments about the previous Hyundai CRDI verna engine and maintainence?
Old 16th May 2011, 10:27   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Technical Specifications and Price Comparison has been added to the review in the second post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2330981
Thanks Stratos, was eagerly looking forward for the comparo. All the doubts @ GC are laid to rest, so it is 163 mm finally. SX4 with 170mm sets the benchmark.

Last edited by Stratos : 16th May 2011 at 11:16.
Old 16th May 2011, 11:26   #655
BHPian

Thanks @srijinair. I will definitely think on the Diesel variant as well with petrol prices going through the roof. Hope it suits the budget as well.

Thanks @AutoIndian, for a short but a helpful review. It has actually double boosted the confidence in me for this product. Last Saturday, I went along with my Parents, to have a look at the car, some observations:

1) The car actually looks great & BIG. My Mother said, 'Beta, bahut badi lag rahi hai, parking me aa jayegi kya?"
2) Tested BT connectivity, piece of cake, trust me, the voice clarity inside is excellent.
3) My Father was also impressed, initially he sat in front & then behind for 5 minutes. He said, rear seats are not that un-comfortable, BTW both of us are 5'11" tall.
4) Audio quality with 4+2 ( tweeters) was good enough, a lot better than which comes out of Vento's HU.
5) Interior fit & finish is excellent.

So we have first 'New Fluidic Verna' from @mathranik, was going through his thread. Overall, the new 'Verna' looks like a no-nonsense car with killer looks and positive attitude from dealers & their SE.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:03   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mods: The comparison does add value to the test drive report. However, wondering why was Fiat Linea left out of the tribe, doesn't it belong to the same segment?
Old 16th May 2011, 13:04   #657
BHPian

Many congratulation @mathranik for your new car. White looks out of this world.
Trust me, in coming days, people will address you as a trend-setter as many will follow to buy this beauty.
I also foresee, the onus is now on you to satisfy queries from many potential buyers.

Drive safe and once again hearty wishes.

Last edited by ajaynaphade : 16th May 2011 at 13:07. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 16th May 2011, 14:33   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I think the prices for all cars in the comparison are not correct.
Can you please check again?

Kudos to Hyundai for bringing a fully-loaded car.
The pricing is debatable but given the number of features,it is not bad.

I don't know if Hyundai has the badge value of Honda/VW to compete with them as the pricing is similar or more (even if they offer much more features).
Old 16th May 2011, 15:13   #659
BHPian

Excellent Review! and a brilliantly packaged car!

While vento successfully took the battle to the ANHC, new Aerna is bringing in the much needed spice into the battle. Now eagerly waiting for fiesta.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:30   #660
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the CRDI A/T as the manual TD vehicle is yet to come. Really enjoyed the ride. The engine is really smooth and the gear change is not noticeable. However I have would opt for the manual car as we already have a i10 Auto at home.

Karnataka has killer road tax and the highest fuel prices in the country

I am putting up the prices and road tax so that the rest of the country can sympathize with us.

Cost of CRDI SX (O) 1.6 in Bangalore is Ex-Showroom Rs.1017892 + Road Tax Rs. 192078 + Insurance Rs.39862 + Inc Charges Rs.6618 = Total Rs.1256450

No Cheers to road tax

KPS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks