Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 18:36   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

@bangalore Tbhpians: Whats the OTR for Cruze LT in bangalore? Only then we can actually judge how the bad or good the pricing is. Because I believe even cruze LT will be costly in bangalore owing to the higher road tax. Sorry for being off-topic.
Old 12th May 2011, 18:40   #512
BHPian

While we may cry that the Verna pricing is overdone, it's only the top variant with AT being considered, which IMO, will sell the least among all trims. Compare the prices of the SX variant of 8.25 L and 9.35 L with the features table I have extracted from the brochure, it's totally VFM. Just add 70 K to that and you get leather uphostery, start/stop button and smartkey, and SIX AIRBAGS. Try and find one car below 15 L with this safety feature. (You also get chrome door handles which is something nobody will miss, am sure.)

Hyundai gives ABS and EBD on all 1.6 engine variants, is a very good thing. And also rear disc brakes too. New thinking indeed.

A very smart choice of plonking the 1.4 engines and see the reduced cost. So with the same car, Hyundai has cut across through most of C segment. I See this variant eating into DZire, Manza, Linea sales while the 1.6 fights it out with the Vento and ANHC and the forthcoming Fiesta.

We all know that Hyundais are not great handlers, heck even Hyundai ad shows the Verna in the ad video manoeuvring along with a boat, haha. But VFM, I think Hyundai has got it spot on with the new Verna.

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-verna-features.jpg

Last edited by Delta Wing : 12th May 2011 at 18:49. Reason: Image upload woes
Old 12th May 2011, 18:51   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
@bangalore Tbhpians: Whats the OTR for Cruze LT in bangalore? Only then we can actually judge how the bad or good the pricing is. Because I believe even cruze LT will be costly in bangalore owing to the higher road tax. Sorry for being off-topic.
The OTR price for Cruze LT is 15.06L in Bangalore. The discussion here is mainly on the automatic being overpriced, if i am not wrong. No matter what the features are, the 4 speed auto will sap the engine power. The minimum it requires is a 5 speed auto, preferably a 6 speed. Other than that the verna is pretty much priced competitively.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:35   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Man my sympathies are with you poor people. 15.06L otr for LT. Thats day light robbery. And even after this the roads remain shoddy in bangalore.

As far as AT box is concerned I dont think Hyundai is cheating the customers here. I agree a 5 speed AT is desirable but the segment the car belongs to has 4 speed AT. For ex SX4. Hyundai is giving you a lot of features over its competitors to justify the increase in price of the top end model. And with the next AT Diesel being only Cruze which is around 16L OTR in Delhi (god knows what they charge for it in Bangalore ), the ANHV is not a bad deal at 12.2L OTR.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:45   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
Hope to do a TD soon on the diesel AT. If I like its city handling, I'll go for it and give out the interview that someone here wanted.
You might be able to get delivery in 1 day. Eagerly waiting for a detailed review. :P

Can people who have take test drives update which showroom has which car variant? i don't think each showroom will have all variants. will help to get a quicker test drive. Please mention the color also.

Your impressions about the handling and driveability will also help.
What about the display readings in the driver information system like instantaneous mileage / Average fuel mileage etc?

Thanks

Last edited by optimist : 12th May 2011 at 19:59.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:45   #516
BHPian

Hyundai's strategy of positioning Verna across a broad spectrum of entry level sedans can go either way IMO. While the strategy can work towards maximizing its sales, as there is an option for any budget, overlapping over multiple segments can create confusion - sort of it neither belongs here nor there.

For instance, won't the lower 1.4 variants, pitted against the likes of DZire, create a branding problem for the image-conscious prospective C segment (read 1.6 SX/SX(O)) kind of of buyers?

Last edited by sith_lord : 12th May 2011 at 19:49.
Old 12th May 2011, 19:51   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
Hyundai's strategy of positioning Verna across a broad spectrum of entry level sedans can go either way IMO. While the strategy can work towards maximizing its sales, as there is an option for any budget, overlapping over multiple segments can create confusion - sort of it neither belongs here nor there.

For instance, won't the lower 1.4 variants, pitted against the likes of DZire, create a branding problem for the image-conscious prospective C segment (read 1.6 SX/SX(O)) kind of of buyers?
Thats quite true. A good example of that is that my dad called me from his office saying that your Verna has been launched and its only 6.99L. Only later when I explained to him the dozen different models did he realize that this actually may end up costing him more than the Vento.

And even if the verna is high on the feature list compared to the Vento, VW as a brand is associated with luxury by many people. It can really go either way.

Last edited by drmohitg : 12th May 2011 at 19:53.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:11   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Thats quite true. A good example of that is that my dad called me from his office saying that your Verna has been launched and its only 6.99L. Only later when I explained to him the dozen different models did he realize that this actually may end up costing him more than the Vento.

And even if the verna is high on the feature list compared to the Vento, VW as a brand is associated with luxury by many people. It can really go either way.

Very tue My wife has the habit of removing the decimals from the price or go with first few digits to convince me to buy something new stuff. ( eg. rs 899.00 will be Rs 800 for her but for me its Rs 1000 ( 900+tax).

She knew that I was eyeing for Verna and she also saw the price list and said it costs around 6L where as for me its 13.65L OTR BLR for AT.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:26   #519
Senior - BHPian

Sx seems to be the obvious choice unless you are a gadget freak.
It is priced similar to VentoD high-line.

As far as features are concerned:-
1) It has EBD
2) 16" alloys opposed to 15".
3) Rear disc brakes
4) Rear view sensors
5) Bluetooth & usb
6) Steering mounted controls + remote?
7) Electrically folding mirror
8) Cooled glove box
9) And most importantly 6 speed gears (cant call it a feature though)

Looses out on
1) Telescopic steering
2) Passenger seat adj from rear.

So feature wise Verna beats Vento Black and Blue.
Also refinement is supposed be much better. Initially the am janata going for Vento will now definitely go for Verna. Frankly speaking am janata has no reason to go for Vento.

And who calls Verna over priced? It is priced similar to Vento D high-line and still offers those 9 extra features. (Sorry if I missed anything else)
Old 12th May 2011, 20:29   #520
Senior - BHPian

I am not impressed with Verna's pricing. So many variants to choose from adding confusion for a person like me. I don't find a reason why ANHC or Vento should be worried that much by Verna. Pricings are not value for money for sure. Since many TV reviews like CNB has doubted on its handling at speeds above 90-100 make things not so comfortable at this pricing.

It will definitely sell and in good numbers especially the diesel one. Waiting for June-August sales figures to know the impact of Verna on C segment.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:35   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
I spoke to Trident, he said OTR for AT D is 13.43! Compared to the Delhi rates, makes me wonder why we are being ripped off in Blr.

Having said that, is there still a diesel auto that compares with this new car, price included? The Vento looks great, has great quality interiors, but what about long term running costs? All German cars tend to cost you a lot in the long run. It also doesn't have a diesel auto.

GC according to the rep is 165.

Another query on the key is what happens if you leave the key inside, lock the doors manually and close the door? Will it still open because key is sensed nearby or would you need the spare?

Hope to do a TD soon on the diesel AT. If I like its city handling, I'll go for it and give out the interview that someone here wanted.
@incinerator, I'll be happy for you if you buy this Diesel AT in BLR. I'm sure you will enjoy the car but I don't have extra money (or throw away money) to buy this car with unwanted features and 4 speed AT.

Having said that, if you are not in a hurry, I suggest you to wait for Linea MJD AT (Dual logic). If Fiat is not so stupid like Hyundai you may be able to grab the funtastic car for atleast 1.5L lesser than this.

Anyway, I was the one (few others) who asked for the interview. I'll be happy to congratulate and take interview for one of the very few owners of this car in BLR .

I have already heard few potential buyers (bhpians), including me, staying away from this car because of un reasonable price for AT. They won't be able to sell significant number of AT cars and you may get some discounts few months down the line.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:56   #522
BANNED

IMO, only the base variants will sell, and those who are ready to spend 12L will definitely look for the brand value which Hyundai and Verna don't have. So, Hyundai cannot achieve the sales target of 45,000 units yearly.

They had to price the 1.4L Petrol at 6 - 6.2L ex-showroom, and target the customers in a segment lower, to notch up the volume. They have the new Elantra to fight in the 10 - 12L category, and why they need Verna to do that job? Over confidence - and will end up in the Jazz way of things though not that much less numbers, IMO.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:21   #523
BHPian

automaticfan,

I doubt if discounts can be expected any soon. Not atleast for an year, that too if the sales are quite low or if a worthy competitor has stepped in with a sensible price. It can be a long wait for discounts to start!

Last edited by vinu99@gmail.co : 12th May 2011 at 21:26.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:39   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Sx seems to be the obvious choice unless you are a gadget freak.
+1. If I have to buy a Verna the SX makes a lot of sense ! Personally, I am not fascinated by the start / stop button or the curtain airbags. I feel the SX makes a good buy and should help the Bangy guys from that extra tax too. And I believe the 13.xx lakhs is a total rip off for a 4 speed Auto. At that price, I would start looking at the Cruze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu99@gmail.co View Post
automaticfan,

I doubt if discounts can be expected any soon. Not atleast for an year, that too if the sales are quite low or if a worthy competitor has stepped in with a sensible price. It can be a long wait for discounts to start!
Looks like the manufacturers are bitten by the "introductory price" bug ! Trying to make the most out of the "new launch image" ? And personally I think the target of 45,000 units annual is pretty much achievable. Now what we need to see is who is the "actual" winner from the C segment products - Chances of seeing some discounts for SX4 D ?
Old 12th May 2011, 22:03   #525
BHPian

Without a doubt the new verna will be selling in good number, no question about it. The question is if its going to sell in large numbers it will be common, so do you want to buy it? Sorry I was just kidding.

Jokes apart I think the aam janta will be buying the new verna, since it has so many features and it looks awesome. More features than the vento or any other car in this segment.

I'm not buying though, will wait for the Fluence till 23rd and decide between Fluence and Cruze or I just might make my father really happy by buying a SUV

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks