Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 21:23   #586
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
This is quite strange, why HMIL is mum over the ground clearance of its New Verna. I was browsing through the Hyundai Internantional website, & there for the Accent the Minimum Ground Clearance (mm) is specified as 140mm.

Hyundai Asia Resources, Inc.

It would be better if members who are visiting their nearest showroom carry a measuring tape with them & actually measure the GC. Only this can rest all the speculations & doubts @ GC to rest.
I had read in one of the reviews (don't know if its autocar or overdrive) that the GC was 165mm. I will check it our tomorrow when I go for a test drive. If the new Verna clears the Bangalore speed breakers without scrapping then it should be able to go off-roads also. Just kidding.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:51   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thats true, but I guess its all about the market. Ours is a market, where a new version of an existing model can easily jump a segment up, and buyers still accept it, and that too in a big way. How good it would have been (for the customer) if the Verna is selling as the new Accent, in or around the same price range
That is not entirely true. India is known for heavy taxes on cars and cars had been costly (double of what it may cost in US, for example). On the other hand, Indians had been very conscious of price and never used to care for power, features, safety or comfort or whatever. So, the upgrade of accent would have been gradual in other countries, while in India it was not.
Old 13th May 2011, 23:15   #588
BHPian

Even if the honda city is close to 9L Ex show room, I guess there will be little change in the sales of petrol version of the sedan, considering that competition is only from Vento and verna. There is a difference b/w comparing the cars on paper and comparing the cars when you drive them. ANHC has a better feel for both driver and rear seat drive. I see the competition now only in the vento v/s verna in diesel version. Petrol still remain with the ANHC. the 2500 odd for Vento (verna figures will flow in the future) are for D and P versions. even if a rough estimate of a 70% to 30% split for the D to P version (correct me here if you have details) petrol numbers for vento will be ~750 units around 50% of the ANHC. Wondering if the verna will change equations for petrol too, diesel surely will see some swing.

If you just close your eyes for a second and think about a good, trouble free petrol sedan to buy....I always land with the ANHC!
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 06:57   #589
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

One factor which we need to consider at this point is the curtailment of ANHC production due to the Tsunami impact in Japan. Now if sales figures drop for ANHC due to this and buyers shift to ANHV due to availability, it would be a tough task for ANHC to regain ground. Key for Hyundai would be to keep the waiting period as low as possible for the next 6 months and pump maximum cars in the market which would lead to a natural migration to ANHV.
Old 14th May 2011, 07:32   #590
Senior - BHPian

Driving experience of a Verna, regardless of Diesel or Petrol wouldn't match that of the ANHC for sure. The petrol engined Verna or Vento or Fiesta is never going to beat City on sales numbers front. But with rising petrol prices, Diesel sedans seem more lucrative for the buyers these days. So ultimately Verna would sell, but not the petrol Verna.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:52   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Driving experience of a Verna, regardless of Diesel or Petrol wouldn't match that of the ANHC for sure. The petrol engined Verna or Vento or Fiesta is never going to beat City on sales numbers front. But with rising petrol prices, Diesel sedans seem more lucrative for the buyers these days. So ultimately Verna would sell, but not the petrol Verna.
+1 to that.
Diesel is where the Verna may score. And score well. The GC may be an issue though, in case it is only 140mm as quoted above.

The price of the Fiesta may change the scenario, however. Even the Fiesta is a pretty good looking car, though doesn't seem to be as large as the Verna.

Happened to see a Test Drive Verna moving alongside an Accent. Surprisingly, it seemed nearly two segments larger.

Last edited by Poitive : 14th May 2011 at 09:53.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:08   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
That is not entirely true. India is known for heavy taxes on cars and cars had been costly (double of what it may cost in US, for example). On the other hand, Indians had been very conscious of price and never used to care for power, features, safety or comfort or whatever. So, the upgrade of accent would have been gradual in other countries, while in India it was not.
Sorry, I did not really get what you're trying to say. I am not comparing with the cost in US or in any other country. Anyway, what has US got to do in Accent being sold as Verna. And from what I know, I have not seen version upgrades happening in India in a faster pace (compared to other countries).

Anyway, from the pictures I have seen so far, I guess Hyundai have a cracking winner in the new Verna.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:34   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But doesn't this translate into more of Diesel winning over petrol rather then ANHV winning over ANHC? I think ANHV is a better product which is more VFM with all its new features that will make it a better seller then the ANHC.
But ofcourse even though Honda has come under a lot of criticism recently, I still believe they are a force to reckon with.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:02   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
@Naren - From Which dealer your are buying SX CRDI for 10,36,000 OTR BLR? In that case SX (o) CRDI AT will not be more than 12L. I may be interested if its around 12L. Please clarify.

I am buying from Advaith Hyundai Outer Ring Road - SX(o) Price will be

Ex- 10,17,892
Insurace - 36,125
Road Tax - 1,92,078
INC charges - 6618

Total -- 12,52,713 Rs...
Old 14th May 2011, 13:00   #595
BHPian

Quote:
This is quite strange, why HMIL is mum over the ground clearance of its New Verna. I was browsing through the Hyundai Internantional website, & there for the Accent the Minimum Ground Clearance (mm) is specified as 140mm.
I had a visit to HMP to see the car myself and was able to check on two issues today.
1. GC - its 165mm
2. in my previous post I had written about the key less start - well 1st time the consultant had explained to me slightly wrong, so I need to say sorry here to all of you - the correct explanation given by the guy who knew things technically was saying that the keys have to be within 70mm from the door handle where you have a sensor which will allow you to open the car. Further, the key has to be very much inside the car for you to start & drive the car away.
bimi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 13:05   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
I had a visit to HMP to see the car myself and was able to check on two issues today.
1. GC - its 165mm
Thanks buddy for checking the GC. Did you check this on the SX/ SX(O) which has the 16" alloys? I have a feeling that this is a tad lower given the size of the wheels. So for the base variants (sporting 15" wheels) it would be even lower, am I right?
Old 14th May 2011, 13:32   #597
BHPian

Quote:
I was browsing through the Hyundai Internantional website, & there for the Accent the Minimum Ground Clearance (mm) is specified as 140mm.
Hyundai Asia Resources, Inc.
Indian versions of all cars always have certain technical changes to suit our roads. Increasing the ground clearance is one of the major changes that all international models go through when being launched in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The GC may be an issue though, in case it is only 140mm as quoted above.
Happened to see a Test Drive Verna moving alongside an Accent. Surprisingly, it seemed nearly two segments larger.
140 is for the international versions. Indian version will for sure be higher.
Yes, thats another point i forgot to mention in the mini-review i posted when i checked out the display car. It does look bigger. Dont know about the accent, but it does seem like a segment larger from the current & 1st gen verna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
1. GC - its 165mm
Thanks for that. 165 is pretty ample.
Quote:
Thanks buddy for checking the GC. Did you check this on the SX/ SX(O) which has the 16" alloys? I have a feeling that this is a tad lower given the size of the wheels. So for the base variants (sporting 15" wheels) it would be even lower, am I right?
Not exactly. Technically, along with the rim size change, even the tyre profile is changed. A downsize on rim diameter (from 16 to 15) would mean that the tyre profile would have changed as well.
In all probability, the GC will remain more or less same.

Last edited by Xehaust : 14th May 2011 at 13:33.
Old 14th May 2011, 14:21   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Tyre Diameter for 1.6 (195*55*R16) is 620.9 mm
Tyre Diameter for 1.4 (185*65*R16) is 621.55 mm

GC is 165 mm. I had confirmed this with the sales rep today.

This should answer your query.

Last edited by vinu99@gmail.co : 14th May 2011 at 14:29.
Old 14th May 2011, 14:34   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu99@gmail.co View Post
Tyre Diameter for 1.6 (195*55*R16) is 620.9 mm
Tyre Diameter for 1.4 (185*65*R16) is 621.55 mm

This should answer your query.
Thanks for the calculation Vinu. However the 1.4 variants sport a tyre size of 185/65 R15 (& not R16 as you have pointed out above). The Tyre diameters you have mentioned through are quite correct 620.9 mm for 1.6 variant & 621.50 mm for the 1.4 variant.

Had the size of 1.4 variant been 185/65 R16, the tyre diameter would have come out as 646.9 mm

Others, please correct me if I am wrong.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 14:46   #600
BHPian

This is one great looking car. With so many options to choose from, Hyundai has now announced in a big way that it wants to be the boss of c segment. The car is definitely better looking than the new Fiesta and much better than the previous Verna, Vento, SX4. I still like the city better in terms of looks though.

This one will definitely lead the sales numbers soon. Watch out Vento and City and SX4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks