Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 18:11   #736
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
For those who do not have the price list of new Verna, here it is. Please note this is Bangalore pricing.
(CLICK THE IMAGE TO SEE A BIGGER IMAGE)

Attachment 547964

Also, in case you want a comparison with other models, here are the prices of i10, i20 among others.
Attachment 547965
Not sure why there is a price difference between Blue and Trident in Bangalore.

Trident is offering CRDi SX at 11.34 lakhs and SX(0) at 12.56 lakhs compared to
Blue hyundai's On Road Price of 11.45 L and 12.65 L.

Thats 10K less for each variant
Old 20th May 2011, 19:06   #737
BHPian

Just had a longish test drive of the 1.6 CRDi Sx MT at Advaith Hyundai, ORR, B'lore. My observations:

What I liked:
- Excellent low end torque -> Minimal Turbo lag. You will be at ease driving in bumper to bumper traffic. The car pulls cleanly from as low as 1k rpm in all gears except the 6th. Remember, you are unlikely to slot to 6th at such a low rpm anyways.
- Verna's famed Turbo-pull is now gone. Sure, you do notice when the turbo kicks in, but the acceleration is now much more linear. You will have lesser complaints from family members for throwing them into the back of their seats too often.
- The front seats are very spacious. You will find loads of legroom and headroom up front. The footwell is not crowded either. The rear seats are more spacious then the Vento and Fiesta (classic). City might be slightly better. But only just.
- Excellent driveability. I would think the in-gear timings of this Verna will be very close to Vento's (the segment benchmark).
- Good mid range punch. Overtaking on highways should be a breeze with the mid range pull that this car has. The engine doesn't start sounding coarse till about 4k on the tacho as well.
- A soft suspension gives you real good ride quality in the city. Especially at low speeds. Eats potholes/rough stretches well.
- The gadgets. If you like them, then you will love this car. The reverse cam works like a charm. The start button is neat. The cooled glove box might be useful on long journeys. And Curtain airbags are a segment first.
- Steering Tilt adjust offers decent travel and it won't be difficult to find a good driving position.
- The 16 inch alloys fill the wheel bay well and look good. You have lots of after market options at this tyre size too.

What I did not like:
- The steering! It's a joystick. NO feedback. Not even a tiny weeny inch of it. It is light at parking speeds but doesn't weigh up enough later. And you will actually look at the steering to see if it's centered correctly when you go through undulations at any speed. Comparable to the old Wagon R PS.
- The Handling! I was hoping against hope that this would no longer be the Verna's bane in my books. Unfortunately it still is. High speed stability is miles behind the Linea. Even the City is more stable on straight tarmacs. The car does not mask speed well purely because it gets too titchy at any decent speeds. Do not expect to attack corners aggressively with this car at all. Body roll is significant on quick lane changes as well. Clearly, handling is not something Hyundai intended to address with this Verna at all.
- Performance! Sure it's good but not really an improvement over the old verna. Where did all the extra horses go?!

What was okay'ish:
- Ac: Definitely not a chiller. Only just about acceptable cooling. In Bangalore's not so hot weather, the ACC at 19 and Fan blower at full speed should ideally freeze your fingers off. But this was just about keeping the car cool. My current Fiesta's AC is surely better.
- Braking: Adequate. Rear Discs increase the braking power but that is offset by the tendency of the rear to step out on hard braking. I had it stepping out on braking hard from 85-90 kms/h. Expect no better at higher speeds. Also, looks like hard braking + maneuvering the car at the same time is when the car loses composure too easily.. Although the nose dives a bit as well, it is not as bad as the old verna. You will brake in time when needed, but will have a few butterflies in your stomach will doing it.
- The seats are set a little low for my liking. But they offer decent lumbar support.
- The 'premium cloth' used for interiors is SX doesn't exactly feel premium.

All in all, an excellent family car. The best at the moment in this segment. I can see why this is expected to eat into City sales and I think this deserves the bookings it seems to be getting.
But,for an enthusiast, this car doesn't tick some very important boxes. I will have to let this one pass and wait for all the new Fiesta.

Dealer experience:
8/10: The salesman was courteous, the test drive was offered by them straight away and the overall experience was pleasant. They let me drive in peace without trying to bombard me with information. Answered most questions satisfactorily although he simply couldn't understand my cribbing about the light and vague steering - 'Sir, light steering means easy steering sir. All customers now ask for very light steering sir. You can drive with two fingers' He did explain all the other gadgets on the car well though.

Apologies for what turned out to be quite a long post!
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 19:17   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Does anyone here have info on the max speed of 1.6 CRDi, Ground clearance and service interval alongwith standard warranty and extended warranty options. I went to Samara Hyundai at Delhi. Couldnt get any confirmation on the above figures as it was Sunday and they didnt have anyone to answer these queries. The SE though mentioned GC as 165mm but other questions he preferred not to answer.
Shatrughna, the answers to most of your queries could be found in this thread itself.
max speed of 1.6 CRDi = 190 kmph (not sure though)
Ground clearance = 163mm
service interval = Can be obtained from Service Manual (probably Mathranik can throw more light on this referring to his car manual)
standard warranty = 2 years (don't know kms though)
extended warranty = 1 year (approx INR 9.5K extra)
Old 20th May 2011, 19:49   #739
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Review!

Went to the Hyundai and VW showroom today and here is the head and leg room comparison pictures. Just in case if the pictures dont make it clear. The Vento has more head room and leg room compared to the new Verna. Although the head room is just a bit more in the vento, but the sitting position of the vento gives it more head room.

Thanks
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 20:25   #740
BHPian

Service interval is 10k. First service @1.5k
wolfff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 20:53   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Not sure why there is a price difference between Blue and Trident in Bangalore.

Trident is offering CRDi SX at 11.34 lakhs and SX(0) at 12.56 lakhs compared to
Blue hyundai's On Road Price of 11.45 L and 12.65 L.

Thats 10K less for each variant
Oh! That should not happen! I have a friend in Blue Hyundai. Let me ask him for a clarification. I will post his reply.
Old 20th May 2011, 21:55   #742
BHPian

My views in bold below. Didn't really do more than a 20 min TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
You drove the A/T !! The one variant I've really been wanting to drive. Can you give us some detailed feedback and impressions about the four speed gearbox? In order to help you answer (since it's a vague question), you could use the following parameters :

1. Shifts : quick+smooth or abrupt+jerky?
Seemed pretty smooth, couldn't really tell when it changed
2. Kickdown : Reasonable or too much lag?
Awesome! Took off like a rocket!! On slamming down, it did seem to think for a split sec, but reaction was pretty fast.
3. What was your impression of cruising at 70 kmph+ in fourth?
Didnt feel strained if that's what you mean
4. Did you try any overtaking maneouvers at cruising speeds?
No
5. Does the engine feel strained at three digit speeds?
Hit a max of 90
6. Gear changes in tiptronic (manual override) : quick / smooth / lag / abrupt?
It was quick, not smooth as it was done manually. No lag.
7. General driveability : On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being very good.
Would much appreciate your feedback about the 4-speed AT gearbox.
Old 20th May 2011, 22:32   #743
h.k
BHPian

i have used the previous gen verna for 80,000 kms and i this is what i have to say.
excitement fun to drive power punch, and eaze of over taking, if this is what you look forward for a car look no further, HYUNDAI does the job, however if you are looking for low cost of ownership then re consider the same, the expenses are very high. do not expect a bill less than 7000 after u run 10,000. the suspension also needs to be checked always, if you run in the city for long ask them whats the warranty for clutch, also whats the expected kms that the company recommend clutch change, which shall cost you another 12 15k. also ask then before you buy what is expected service cost as per the service records.
h.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 22:54   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
My views in bold below. Didn't really do more than a 20 min TD.
How exactly did you come to that figure of 7.33?
Old 21st May 2011, 00:00   #745
Senior - BHPian

@ incinerator : Thank you very much for your replies. It sounds encouraging. Will have to TD for myself, of course. God knows when I'll be able to find a CRDi AT TD. HMP was not at all encouraging when I asked them about even the possibility of having one of them around.
Old 21st May 2011, 10:36   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
i have used the previous gen verna for 80,000 kms and i this is what i have to say. excitement fun to drive power punch, and eaze of over taking, if this is what you look forward for a car look no further, HYUNDAI does the job,
I guess one expects all the above by default when one looks at the Verna. However good to know this being endorsed by a previous generation Verna owner.

Quote:
however if you are looking for low cost of ownership then re consider the same, the expenses are very high. do not expect a bill less than 7000 after u run 10,000.
That is really shocking Are you saying this from your own experience? What were the majority of the expenses towards? I don't think consumables would cost that much, so if I am not wrong are you hinting to some parts malfunctioning & needing replacement. But then aren't these covered under warranty?

Quote:
the suspension also needs to be checked always, if you run in the city for long ask them whats the warranty for clutch, also whats the expected kms that the company recommend clutch change, which shall cost you another 12 15k. also ask then before you buy what is expected service cost as per the service records.
Those are some eye opening inputs from a first generation Verna owner. What was your experience with the suspension? As far as clutch life is concerned, I think a lot depends upon the driving style & the traffic/ roads etc. Though I would like to mention here that I am still on my OEM clutch even after 92K+ kms & know a couple of friends who haven't touch their clutch even after 100K kms. Could you please share the link to your long term ownership experience with your Verna (if you have one) or other links where you have penned down your car maintenance details.
Old 21st May 2011, 11:57   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

That is really shocking Are you saying this from your own experience? What were the majority of the expenses towards? I don't think consumables would cost that much, so if I am not wrong are you hinting to some parts malfunctioning & needing replacement. But then aren't these covered under warranty?
My friend whose had a Verna for the last 3 years also tells me that every service costs him atleast 5000. Though he loves the car to no end.
Old 21st May 2011, 12:45   #748
Senior - BHPian

^^ A bit off topic but I believe service for any car in this segment would cost the same / similar if:

> Synthetic oil is used.
> The free services have all been exhausted.
Old 21st May 2011, 13:03   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
- The rear seats are more spacious then the Vento and Fiesta (classic). City might be slightly better. But only just.
- Excellent driveability. I would think the in-gear timings of this Verna will be very close to Vento's (the segment benchmark).
I just saw the Autocar review on TV on the new Verna and the Vento. The guy said that the Vento was more comfortable at the rear.

He also said the in-gear timings of the Vento in 3rd and 4th gear were far superior to the new Verna. The only plus points of the Verna were the refined engine and the host of features.
Old 21st May 2011, 14:01   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanfully the Fluidic Verna has reached the showroom in my hometown,just came back from there.The TD starts tomorrow and already 8 people are registered for it.Mine is 9th number.They have the 1.6 Diesel Manual as the test drive vehicle.I'm waiting for my turn now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks