Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 17:13   #871
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Does anyone feel that the ANHV looks very narrow when you look at it from the back.

I like the side profile of the car and the rear three-quarter view. Those tail lights are gorgeous. But not a big fan of the looks of the car when you look at from straight ahead (too similar to the i10) and directly from the back (looks too narrow).
Old 7th June 2011, 17:18   #872
Senior - BHPian

On New Verna's highway manners. I had a chance to lead a new Verna on Kodai Ghat section where the Driver was trying endlessly to overtake me on the ghats and was having trouble passing me mostly because in the twisty-turvy road he was loosing composure and had to brake hard every time he would wobble. From what i could see in my RVM the car was not as planted on the road and he wasn't very comfortable in taking the corners at high speeds.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th June 2011 at 17:22. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 7th June 2011, 23:02   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelust View Post
Took delivery of my Verna Fluidic 1.6 Petrol SX on 1st June (last Friday).

More as I break her in….
Congrats on your new ride . Look forward to you starting your ownership thread
Old 8th June 2011, 09:03   #874
BHPian

I liked the car more in pictures.Physically I found it less attractive from most angles.The placing of the door handles following the side curves is very stylish though.It is very curvy-but I still find ANHC's curves more futuristic and, in a combination of curves and straight lines,more elegant.The new front grill design may be signature Hyundai,but I don't find it as appealing as say,BMW and Audi( I am not comparing Hyundai to premium brands to find faults).The front look of new i10 and Verna vaguely resemble the new Fiesta too.Is it all that unique?And good?
Old 8th June 2011, 10:57   #875
Senior - BHPian

Drove the 1.6 CRDi within the City on Saturday for a short duration. Here are the few points that I noted.

The car looks good in flesh. The side profile is stunning with the 16" wheels and discs all around, except for that plastic piece on the C pillar which sticks out and clearly doesn't belong there. The rear profile is good, but I would have preferred the boot lip to be little flatter. It looks a bit heavy in middle now. And Hyundai could have done a little better with the front end. There is something wrong with the shape of that hexagon, especially the lower part. The panel gaps which Zappo referred to in the official review has been taken care of in the production version and I found the gaps to be narrow and consistent.

I am no fan of faux wood and beige and the new Verna has it in spades. The faux wood on this one at least looks better than the old Verna but what is wrong with a good satin silver finish or a piano black like the Cruze? And I didn’t like the door padding at all. The MID look really cool and is very easy to read. And the soft rubber like material used on top of the dash is of high quality and good texture. I love it. The reverse camera is totally cool and very useful for precision parking.

The seat is well bolstered and hugs the driver but the padding on the side was fouling with my elbow when I was shifting to 2nd or 4th. The gear shifting is good with short and sure throws.

The 1.6 is not at all like the old rocket propeller. It felt silent and refined but it didn't gave the catapult feel of the old 1.5 and the 2nd & 3rd (which I was using the most) felt a tad tall for the city and little surprising since its 6 speed. But to be fair, it was a really short drive and to comment on the engine and it should get better once it opens up a bit.

And the cabin is well sealed from the surroundings. Everything is muted and the engine felt very silent on the inside. I cannot comment on the handling but the suspension felt soft soaking up giant potholes with ease at slower speeds. The steering is just too light and offers little feedback.

Overall, I am impressed by the car. Should be a good one to own for city use.

Last edited by deetjohn : 8th June 2011 at 11:00. Reason: Rewording
Old 9th June 2011, 16:37   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelust View Post
Took delivery of my Verna Fluidic 1.6 Petrol SX on 1st June (last Friday). Delivery experience was good – mine was the fourth Verna delivered by Himavasini Hyundai at Hosur (was told other three were all diesel). No freebies excepting mud-flap & mats (did ask, was told no freebies are there being new launch et al). Also the showroom manager will not let me take delivery before 4.30 pm even if I was there by 3.15 pm – something to do with auspicious timing.
What is the FE in city and on highways.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:44   #877
BHPian

Re: Safety features, Engine, Performance and Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
To sum up it felt like a good diesel ANHC loaded to the gills with features. I think this was what Hyundai was going for. I was not completely impressed with the car but I still liked it a lot. I'm going to wait to compare it with the Ford Fiesta before making a decision as to what car I need to buy a diesel car for my usage of 1800 kms a month of 30% city and 70% highway driving. Unfortunately Volkswagon Vento guys in Chennai did not even bother returning my call to book for a test drive and informed me that the Highline Diesel will take upwards of 9 months to deliver. Cruze is out of my budget and my brother and father will not let me even consider the Linea because of my problems getting spares for my Palio in the past. Its down to either the Verna or Fiesta.
I believe you meant ANHV above. Havent you considered Honda City?
Old 9th June 2011, 16:55   #878
BHPian

Re: Safety features, Engine, Performance and Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
I believe you meant ANHV above. Havent you considered Honda City?
No I meant that Hyundai tried to make a Diesel clone of the Honda City to sway the potential Honda City buyers who wanted Diesel economy. I feel they tried to duplicate the following points.

1. Styling - they tried to make the Verna look really futuristic like the City
2. Steering - EPS feels light and super easy to maneuver inside the city like the City
3. Noise levels - Even though its a diesel its super quiet inside the cabin and barely any vibrations filter through, I often have to check if my dad's City is on by checking the RPM meter because its so unbelievably quiet
4. Power - Verna might just be able to match the City in terms of 0-60 or 0-100 and has a lot more torque

I personally didn't consider the city because of 2 reasons, one being that I drive in excess of 1800 kms a month and need the diesel economy and secondly I personally feel Honda is charging a premium for the City which I do not want to pay. My brother, uncle and my father own the city so I guess I'm in the minority here...
Old 9th June 2011, 18:25   #879
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

My 1.6 CRDI SX Carbon Grey has been registered today and I am taking delivery tomorrow from Advaith. I am very excited.

Cheers

KPS
Old 9th June 2011, 18:34   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
My 1.6 CRDI SX Carbon Grey has been registered today and I am taking delivery tomorrow from Advaith. I am very excited.

Cheers

KPS
Excellent! Congrats. Please share lots of pics and start a new thread ASAP.

How long did you have to wait? And how long is the current delivery time?

Cheers.
Old 10th June 2011, 07:39   #881
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Excellent! Congrats. Please share lots of pics and start a new thread ASAP.
How long did you have to wait? And how long is the current delivery time?
Cheers.
Thanks for the wishes. I had to wait three weeks. My initial colour choice was stone beige but then I opted for a Carbon Grey to speed up the delivery.

Cheers

KPS
Old 10th June 2011, 08:59   #882
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers

KPS
Congrats on your new acquisition!

I should be getting mine in a week or ten days. Opted for a Crystal White 1.6 SX CrDI.

This segment (read ANHC, Vento, Verna, Fiesta) would offer you some awesome deals in the near future. If anyone is not eager to pick up the sedans now, should wait a little. Hope at least the long waiting period for the Vento would reduce too.
Old 10th June 2011, 09:35   #883
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers

KPS
Congrats KPS. Please keep us posted with your experiences. I am considering buying ANHV petrol sx 1.6. Hence very much looking for the FE details.
Old 10th June 2011, 10:58   #884
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to both of you KPS & JK007. So the Fluidic Verna tribe is growing. Looking forward eagerly to your initial ownership experience. We already have Verna of Mathranik on this thread & his inputs have really been quite useful for potential Verna buyers. Also it would be interesting to know what made you choose Verna from the long list of options available in that segment.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:22   #885
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations to both of you KPS & JK007. Also it would be interesting to know what made you choose Verna from the long list of options available in that segment.
In my case I have owned Hyundai CRDi vehicles since 2003. I had run my 2003 Accent CRDI for 82000 kms and sold it for Rs. 3 lakhs in 2009. I had a very good experience with this car and Hyundai Service was top notch.

in 2009 moved from the Accent to i20 CRDI Asta on which I had done 23000 kms. Wanted to move back to a sedan and ANHV was the automatic choice. Got a very good deal on my i20.

I am extremely comfortable with this manufacturer and have love their CRDI cars and their features.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks