Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2014, 14:53   #2371
BANNED

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
All. Need some quick help. I am at the ASC for first free service. The SA is asking me to go for underbody coating as Verna is prone to scrapes. Is it worth it? I am reading mixed reviews about underbody coating. He said they use wurth priduct , which is supposed to be good.

Five years back I had got it done on my i10.
Arvind - That was a quick 1500 km run
Btw, Under body coating is usually needed if the climate is extremely humid or if there are too many exposed iron surfaces to the water. Let the under body scrap a little more with all the Bangalore speed breakers and then get the under body coated after 3 years. Make sure the rust is finely scraped away before the application the coat.

I got my car's first service done over the weekend with Advaith, Subramanyapura and advised them not to sell me the idea of under body coating nor their Philips Extreme vision lamps.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3531273

Last edited by santhosh_lv : 16th September 2014 at 14:56.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:18   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
All these extra works recommended by ASS are absolute rip-offs. Underbody coating, Teflon, engine polish, engine flush, coolant additives, oil supplements, and the biggest one; ENGINE DECARBONISATION!!! On new cars!! Can you guys believe these folks? Decarbonising needs to be done after at least 50,000 Km's or more, AFAIK. MOST OF THE TIMES THEY DONT EVEN DO IT AND JUST CHARGE YOU IN THE BILL BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY ITS NOT NEEDED AND YOU WONT FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE ANYWAYS, SO YOU CANT TELL IF THEY EVEN DID IT. Stay away people, just follow the service manual recommendations and you're good to fly. Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
No coating will prevent damage from scrapes. Common sense right ;-)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Arvind - That was a quick 1500 km run
Btw, Under body coating is usually needed if the climate is extremely humid or if there are too many exposed iron surfaces to the water. Let the under body scrap a little more with all the Bangalore speed breakers and then get the under body coated after 3 years. Make sure the rust is finely scraped away before the application the coat.

I got my car's first service done over the weekend with Advaith, Subramanyapura and advised them not to sell me the idea of under body coating nor their Philips Extreme vision lamps.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3531273

Thanks guys. But at the end I did get the under coating done. But let me explain.

So I told the SA that I want to see the underbody first and then take a call. He was okay with it. After the car was washed, I was taken to the shop floor to check out the underbody. And this is what I saw.

Notice the rusting on the exhaust. As per the SA and the wash guys the exhaust is made of Iron and so rusting is common. And also notice Hyundai has not even bothered to cover the welding spots.

So, I wanted to be little careful and asked them to go ahead with the coating. They used 3 new cans of Wurth (MRP is 1350 INR. But was billed for only 2). I watched the whole process and so was okay with it. As per the product manual, I made sure the entire area was cleaned and wiped. But as FYI - if I wasn't on the spot the guys would have applied it to a wet under body and with mud/grease in a lot of places. Also as per normal process, they do not spray on the exhaust, which for me was the main area. With a little nudge from me the SA got it done on the exhaust as well.

So this is how the under body looked at the end.

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-1a.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-2a.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-3a.jpg

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-4a.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2014 at 05:56. Reason: Resized pictures
Old 26th September 2014, 19:33   #2373
BHPian

Hyundai sponsored outlet vs third party dealers

Hyundai runs its own sponsored dealer network (called Hyundai Motor Plaza/ HMP) in various cities. They sell their vehicles through this model as a lot of you already know besides through third party dealers. Is there any merit (or loss) through buying a vehicle through a HMP showroom? Drawing an analogy, if I were to buy a samsung mobile, I would rather purchase it from a CROMA or a Rel-Dig rather than a Samsung showroom where the landing cost tends to be much higher. I am planning to buy an Elantra, I wish to know if i save monely by buying it from a third party dealer.
Old 27th September 2014, 10:20   #2374
i10
BHPian

Re: Hyundai sponsored outlet vs third party dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Is there any merit (or loss) through buying a vehicle through a HMP showroom?
They are just like any other showroom. You can bargain, and they can offer you discounts. Nothing special or different. The only reason I bought from a HMP is because it was closest to my workplace. The one other thing you do get from an HMP is peace of mind that they would not be indulging in malpractices of mis-selling (like I know one dealer did trying to mark one model as another).
i10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 23:58   #2375
BHPian

Verna diesel automatic users, your inputs please.
I have finalised on a 2011 diesel automatic which has done 35k kms. During the test drive, when I checked the mid, it showed a horrendous 7.6kmpl.
What's the average mileage you guys are getting in pure city conditions? Also, this has wrong tires of size 205/60/16. I would need to change to 205/50/16 after getting delivery. Could the wrong tire size be the culprit?
P.S: This car will be used by my dad and will be driven very sedately most of the time. It's the mileage that is concerning me.
Old 30th September 2014, 10:46   #2376
BHPian

Can someone please answer my above query? Need to finalise on my decision soon.
Old 30th September 2014, 15:23   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Can someone please answer my above query? Need to finalise on my decision soon.
@headers drives a 2014 Verna diesel, and from what he's told me he gets about a KM or 2 lower than my manual - a 2013. Now I'm getting 21+ in highways if driven sedatelt and 14.5 to 16 in city traffic. The MID values learn with your driving style, so if you drove badly or were traffic immediately after a tank up, you'll see abysmal readings...

The most appropriate upside would be 205/55 R16, up from the stock of 195/55 R16. 205/50 will lower the already-low ground clearance. 205/60 may be beyond the safe upsize limits. Look up those sizes in the miata garage tire size calculator.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 30th September 2014 at 15:24.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 09:59   #2378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Verna diesel automatic users, your inputs please.
I have finalised on a 2011 diesel automatic which has done 35k kms. During the test drive, when I checked the mid, it showed a horrendous 7.6kmpl.
What's the average mileage you guys are getting in pure city conditions? Also, this has wrong tires of size 205/60/16. I would need to change to 205/50/16 after getting delivery. Could the wrong tire size be the culprit?
P.S: This car will be used by my dad and will be driven very sedately most of the time. It's the mileage that is concerning me.

Hey, I drive a 2014 Verna Automatic in Bangalore. Detailed review available here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nsmission.html

Answering your question - I get about 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore city( 8 to 9 kmpl during bumper to bumper traffic conditions) and 16-17 kmpl on highways. FE is definitely disappointing on Verna 1.6 CRDi automatic.

205 will definitely drop the FE by 0.5 to 1 km. Feel free to reach out to me for more specifics.
Old 6th October 2014, 17:37   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
If you have not done any kind of modification to your headlight assembly you can very well claim to replace under warranty.
During my second free service, the service advisor presented me with a note giving details on how it is acceptable and general phenomenon for condensation within headlamps. There was some stupid procedure of trying to keep the headlights 'on' for 30 minutes. He told me to conduct the test and ask for a replacement only if the test was not successful :(
Old 8th October 2014, 13:40   #2380
BHPian

So average mileage figures on my new 2014 Verna started behaving very weird today. Here is what happened.
1. Started from home with my odo reading 1947kms. Average mileage showed 14.1kmpl. The fuel level was (-2 bars). I had driven for 150kms since the last tank fill.
2. Drove for 2 kms and stopped to get my air pressure rechecked.
3. Start my car again. And the average mileage showed 8kmpl. The fuel level was (-4 bars). i.e. 2 bars lost within a few mins when the car was switched off.
4. I drive for a 3 kms again and the fuel level actually increased by one bar. So currently it is -3 bars level. And the average mileage has been sweeping from 8kmpl to 12kmpl in the last 10kms of my drive to office.

I restarted the car again and still no fix.
Has anyone faced this? Is this a known issue? Will it get solved when I refill again?

Arvind
Old 9th October 2014, 20:49   #2381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay.Hemmady View Post
During my second free service, the service advisor presented me with a note giving details on how it is acceptable and general phenomenon for condensation within headlamps. There was some stupid procedure of trying to keep the headlights 'on' for 30 minutes. He told me to conduct the test and ask for a replacement only if the test was not successful :(
Tell him that you will not try this procedure of 30 mins and ask him politely for a replacement again. If he refuses just email hyundai and complain. This is only if you have not done any kind of modification to your head light assembly.

I'm getting a slight annoying noise while turning the wheel. It can be heard during parking the car. Does anyone know what's the problem and how to fix it ?
Old 9th October 2014, 21:22   #2382
BANNED

Quote:
So average mileage figures on my new 2014 Verna started behaving very weird today. Here is what happened.
1. Started from home with my odo reading 1947kms. Average mileage showed 14.1kmpl. The fuel level was (-2 bars). I had driven for 150kms since the last tank fill.
3. Start my car again. And the average mileage showed 8kmpl. The fuel level was (-4 bars). i.e. 2 bars lost within a few mins when the car was switched off.
4. I drive for a 3 kms again and the fuel level actually increased by one bar. So currently it is -3 bars level. And the average mileage has been sweeping from 8kmpl to 12kmpl in the last 10kms of my drive to office.

Has anyone faced this? Is this a known issue? Will it get solved when I refill again?

Arvind
Hi Arvind - I did notice the fuel level indicator behaving like this with my 2014 verna as well, it may be because of the inclined surface?. However, the average dropping down from 14 to 8 after a vehicle start is something weird.

Btw, I wanted to compare the FE b/w AT and MT. Can you tell me about it inside the Bangalore city limits and highways?
Old 10th October 2014, 14:48   #2383
BHPian

Quote:

Arvind
Was this a one time occurrence?
What could have happened is the following. You stopped the car on an incline and the fuel level changed drastically. When this happens the fuel mileage calculator gets reset. And when you came back to level ground, the the fuel level came back to 3 levels below full.
Old 12th October 2014, 10:59   #2384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Hi Arvind - I did notice the fuel level indicator behaving like this with my 2014 verna as well, it may be because of the inclined surface?. However, the average dropping down from 14 to 8 after a vehicle start is something weird.

Btw, I wanted to compare the FE b/w AT and MT. Can you tell me about it inside the Bangalore city limits and highways?
Hi Santhosh

I am yet to do a proper highway trip yet. All I have done is a trip to Shivasamudram and Mysore. On both the trips I got a mileage of about 16+.

On Bangalore driving I do the most dreaded stretches everyday that too at the peak hours. I drive 35km every day from Meenakshi mall to Ecospace on ORR via BTM layout and silk board at peak times.

And I get 12.5 to 13 using tankful method. This not what MID shows but what I calculate.

Next week I will be on a proper NH for a long drive. Will update the mileage then.
Old 12th October 2014, 14:09   #2385
BANNED

Got to drive the my friends Verna petrol AT on a highway for a while, and I don't know much about cars but the drive is just horrible. Don't know enough to explain what I feel, but there is no stability feeling in the steering. It just kind of feels 'loose'. Like I said, can't explain it in better terms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks