Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2014, 23:25   #2161
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Today evening I got Autorunner spring assisters installed in all four springs. Had a short drive thereafter. Alone in the car. I could feel the improvement very clearly. Ride height is more now, ride quality much better, potholes are managed more silently without unsettling the car like before, on speed breakers the rear oscillation is lesser. I think the GC problem should be over. I still have the stock springs in my car. Did not find any problem with the breaking of the car, but still to check the ABS functioning.

The assisters have been installed at the middle of the springs. The lower the position, less stiffer are the springs & the vice versa. I guess, that the front assisters need to be lowered a bit.

Going on a four day trip with family starting from tomorrow morning. Will cover around 700 kms & will update my experience after I come back from the trip.

Posting snaps of the assisters after installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_20140501_174911608.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img_20140501_201515947.jpg  

Chitta Pradhan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 23:02   #2162
BHPian

Back from 600 odd km trip. All kinds of roads like 4 lane highways, broken, undulated, wavy,gravelly roads etc covered.

My conclusions-

- What a fabulous upgrade, why did I wait so long to go for these assisters ???
- The worst of my fears like any kind of possible adverse effects of third party products have vanished, the only one is head lights need to be adjusted- with rear more raised than the front. ABS works fine.
- The ride quality vastly improved now. The same undulated roads now feels much better paved.
- GC increased, not sure by how much. But the result is no scarping issues now over the same mountainous speed breakers. As per info of supplier, the GC should increase by 0.75 inch, ie 18/19 mm. I think the supplier is very close.
- Thud sound reduced by almost 50%. Also, broken & undulated roads are now tackled much more silently.
- Rear pitching problem gone. Significant improvement can very well be felt on wavy roads & on multiple large bumps.
- The earth quake within while going over large sized multiple bumps in an angle have gone.
- I have got used to the handling, but now it feels better.

I never expected this big an improvement of the car with this mod. I am extremely satisfied with these assisters. These have taken care of the weakest link of the car.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 09:30   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Back from 600 odd km trip. All kinds of roads like 4 lane highways, broken, undulated, wavy,gravelly roads etc covered.

My conclusions-

- The worst of my fears like any kind of possible adverse effects of third party products have vanished, the only one is head lights need to be adjusted- with rear more raised than the front. ABS works fine.
- The ride quality vastly improved now. The same undulated roads now feels much better paved.
- GC increased, not sure by how much. But the result is no scarping issues now over the same mountainous speed breakers. As per info of supplier, the GC should increase by 0.75 inch, ie 18/19 mm. I think the supplier is very close.
- Thud sound reduced by almost 50%. Also, broken & undulated roads are now tackled much more silently.
- Rear pitching problem gone. Significant improvement can very well be felt on wavy roads & on multiple large bumps.
- The earth quake within while going over large sized multiple bumps in an angle have gone.
- I have got used to the handling, but now it feels better.

I never expected this big an improvement of the car with this mod. I am extremely satisfied with these assisters. These have taken care of the weakest link of the car.
Chitta,
Congrats on the Mod! Thanks for providing the update with details from an extensive test of the same. Had a couple of questions:
  1. How did you evaluate if the ABS is working fine?
  2. Could you also post details of how much the whole thing costed and how long it took for the modification/Spring Assister to be fitted onto the car?
Old 5th May 2014, 10:01   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Is there a rear aircon vent available on any variant of the 2014 Verna?
Old 5th May 2014, 10:09   #2165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

My conclusions-

So who told you about this upgrade for your Verna?

This is good to hear. A simple fix to the Verna's biggest flaw, the bumpy, oscillating ride.
Old 5th May 2014, 11:10   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
No rear vents on any variant.
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 11:50   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today evening I got Autorunner spring assisters installed in all four springs. Had a short drive thereafter. Alone in the car. I could feel the improvement very clearly. Ride height is more now, ride quality much better, potholes are managed more silently without unsettling the car like before, on speed breakers the rear oscillation is lesser. I think the GC problem should be over. I still have the stock springs in my car. Did not find any problem with the breaking of the car, but still to check the ABS functioning.

The assisters have been installed at the middle of the springs. The lower the position, less stiffer are the springs & the vice versa. I guess, that the front assisters need to be lowered a bit.

Going on a four day trip with family starting from tomorrow morning. Will cover around 700 kms & will update my experience after I come back from the trip.

How much did you pay for these?
And source?
Old 5th May 2014, 11:57   #2168
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info and pic!

Please also comment on the long term affects this might have on the suspension. From the little I know, this puts more stress than normal on the suspension, hence causing decreased life. Is that right?
Old 5th May 2014, 14:56   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Chitta,
Congrats on the Mod! Thanks for providing the update with details from an extensive test of the same. Had a couple of questions:
  1. How did you evaluate if the ABS is working fine?
  2. Could you also post details of how much the whole thing costed and how long it took for the modification/Spring Assister to be fitted onto the car?
- I got a perfect stretch of gravely roads to test the ABS. Hard braking at 60/70 kmph, the car glides over the gravels , ABS kicks in & car can still be steered as before. Also tested on normal highways with hard braking, after looking at the back mirror. Stopping distance is same as before & ABS kicking in perfectly as experienced on gravelly roads. ABS kicking produces a typical sound from which you can easily know that yes, ABS is in operation.

- Cost 4000/-, courier charges- 300/-, installation charges- 200/-, total- 4500/-. It takes around 1- 1.5 hours to install those. For front it is very easy, just jack the car & insert the assisters. For rear too same process can be followed, but since I got thicker ones installed in the rear, it was bit difficult to insert those as front, but possible. My HASS tried, but did not succeed. Then they removed the rear springs, got the assisters inserted & fitted back the springs. Rear spring removal & re-fitting is a very simple job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So who told you about this upgrade for your Verna?

This is good to hear. A simple fix to the Verna's biggest flaw, the bumpy, oscillating ride.
Joke of the day . Our very own GTO & of course this great forum. Sorry if I have missed some of your earlier opinion on this mod.

Got some useful info from gearheads too.
https://*************/showthread.php...Cushion-Insert . Some more threads can be googled out in same site.

I got much more than my penny. Never thought that even Verna can glide over less than perfect roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How much did you pay for these?
And source?
Cost- see above. Source- Darryl, Mumbai-9821047448.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Thanks for the info and pic!

Please also comment on the long term affects this might have on the suspension. From the little I know, this puts more stress than normal on the suspension, hence causing decreased life. Is that right?
It can put stress on the springs only because they limit the travel of the springs.

Front springs- minimal stress because both ends of the assister stay away from each other. No way it will reduce life of the springs.

Rear springs- little more stress than front as one end of the assister rests over the other end. Should not reduce life. If some one wants lesser stress on the springs, then can install those as front ones, but this will reduce the GC & make the springs less stiffer than my car. Each of the rear spring costs only Rs 750 /-. Who cares about life of 750/- item, when these mods radically improve the car.

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 5th May 2014 at 14:58. Reason: addition
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 12:03   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
No there are no rear air con vents. I just got my 1.6 CRDi SX (O) AT 15 days back so can say so rather safely.
Old 7th May 2014, 22:09   #2171
BHPian

20K Service Update

Just did the recommended items during this 3rd Free Service. The SA included the Windshield Wash Shampoo in the list, I asked him to remove it and top it up with only distilled water. I chose to do Wheel Alignment, Balancing and Rotation. Total bill was Rs. 5993/-.

Engine Oil 5.3 Lts - Rs. 1,370.05
Engine Oil Filter - Rs. 363.71
Fuel Filter Cartridge - Rs.1736.39
Air Cleaner Filter - Rs. 301.42
Consumables - Rs.128.81
Wheel Balancing - Rs.525
Balancing Weights - Rs. 195.55
Wheel Alignment - Rs. 635

The Alignment report was not provided, apparently the printer is not working (@ Trident Sheshadripuram) for several months and they didn't bother to fix it. I insisted the SA to show me the report in the system and he promptly complied. Without the report there is no way to check whether alignment was done. I am going to register this in my feedback when I receive calls from Hyundai for service feedback.

At the time of delivery, he opened the bonnet and I could see Engine Lacquering had been done. I refused to pay for it stating I did not ask for it. The SA removed it from the bill without hesitation.

I discussed the gear shifting issue with SA, he said clutch bleeding has been done for that. I would have to wait and see if it recurs.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 7th May 2014 at 22:16.
Old 10th May 2014, 19:41   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Cost 4000/-, courier charges- 300/-, installation charges- 200/-, total- 4500/-. It takes around 1- 1.5 hours to install those. For front it is very easy, just jack the car & insert the assisters. For rear too same process can be followed, but since I got thicker ones installed in the rear, it was bit difficult to insert those as front, but possible. My HASS tried, but did not succeed. Then they removed the rear springs, got the assisters inserted & fitted back the springs. Rear spring removal & re-fitting is a very simple job.

Joke of the day . Our very own GTO & of course this great forum. Sorry if I have missed some of your earlier opinion on this mod.

Got some useful info from gearheads too.
https://*************/showthread.php...Cushion-Insert . Some more threads can be googled out in same site.

I got much more than my penny. Never thought that even Verna can glide over less than perfect roads.

Cost- see above. Source- Darryl, Mumbai-9821047448.

It can put stress on the springs only because they limit the travel of the springs.

Front springs- minimal stress because both ends of the assister stay away from each other. No way it will reduce life of the springs.

Rear springs- little more stress than front as one end of the assister rests over the other end. Should not reduce life. If some one wants lesser stress on the springs, then can install those as front ones, but this will reduce the GC & make the springs less stiffer than my car. Each of the rear spring costs only Rs 750 /-. Who cares about life of 750/- item, when these mods radically improve the car.
Can you suggest if I should for both front and rear assisters or just rear should be sufficient ? I am in conversation with Darryl and will be ordering these pretty soon. I have not had any issues from the front. It is only the rear that bothers me. Also you mentioned that you got them installed from HASS ? I didnt know they install after market mods as well for a fee
Old 10th May 2014, 19:56   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
Can you suggest if I should for both front and rear assisters or just rear should be sufficient ? I am in conversation with Darryl and will be ordering these pretty soon. I have not had any issues from the front. It is only the rear that bothers me.
Which model your car is? If you are happy with the front , you can very well go for the rears only. Later if need be, you can go for front ones any time.

Quote:
Also you mentioned that you got them installed from HASS ? I didnt know they install after market mods as well for a fee
Yes, here they do. Installing B3s at rear is a very simple job. Only you need to jack the car & insert the assisters. Hardly a 15 min job & can be done any where. Do share your experience after the mods.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 21:34   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Which model your car is? If you are happy with the front , you can very well go for the rears only. Later if need be, you can go for front ones any time.

Yes, here they do. Installing B3s at rear is a very simple job. Only you need to jack the car & insert the assisters. Hardly a 15 min job & can be done any where. Do share your experience after the mods.
mine is a 2012 verna 1.6 EX CRDI. Me and @revved_up have been having pretty rough dealings with the HASS in Delhi regarding the coil springs change without any results so have decided to go for these now.

Will have my friend pick em up from Darryl in Mumbai this month.
B3s mean the coil assisters right ?
Old 10th May 2014, 22:23   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Will have my friend pick em up from Darryl in Mumbai this month.
B3s mean the coil assisters right ?
Darryl also provides delivery through courier , quite a helpful guy. Yes by B3 , I meant the spring assisters. I have B3s at front & B4s at rear. Higher the numeric, thicker the size. I think for rear only, you should go for B3s. Darryl will assist you in deciding the size. Hope you will be happy with the mod.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks