Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 22:31   #31
BHPian

Re: 200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
So for your upgrades in mind.... have you not yet considered a reverse parking camera or was that something that I missed as already integrated into the display head unit?
Yeah. I forgot to mention the camera / Bluetooth and the Maps in my upgrade list I am contemplating on getting a camera like something which another Bhpain has got in his i20. Something which can be turned on whenever i need it rather than only when i put the car in reverse gear. (@govtavamsee on the forum). I am getting the Bluetooth BTB 200 module from Dubai next month. Maps, i am currently managing with Google maps on the phone. The Map my india maps is way to expensive for what ill be using it for and currently not on my hit list
Old 20th June 2011, 09:05   #32
BHPian

Amazing review friend, congratulation for the car. Looks like you have put in a lot of effort, so enjoy your drives. One quick question: You mentioned you drove Shimoga, goa and other routes which I belive have ghat section. How was the 1st and 2nd gear performance in the ghat areas?
Old 20th June 2011, 21:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydswift View Post
Amazing review friend, congratulation for the car. Looks like you have put in a lot of effort, so enjoy your drives. One quick question: You mentioned you drove Shimoga, goa and other routes which I belive have ghat section. How was the 1st and 2nd gear performance in the ghat areas?
Thanks a lot Bangalore Shimoga does not have any ghat section. Its generally beyond shimoga that there is Ghat section (After sagar towards Jog falls).

Bangalore - Goa also has very less ghat section when you go through Hubli from Bangalore. But yeah, Its still a Ghat section with some steeps and curves. Performance in 1st and 2nd gear is really good. I had a fully loaded car with 5 people and luggage and never really felt any difference in pulling in both 1st and the 2nd gear. It pulls very clean.

But one irritating aspect when you drive in those ghats, you keep crusing around 60 in 3rd gear, You have a curve, you slow down to 20 -30 and come out of the power band , there is no way you can continue at those speeds in 3rd Gear due to Turbo lag. So, it defiantly needs frequent downshifts when compared to a petrol car.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:55   #34
BHPian

Congrats Kimified,

Glad to see one more addition in the community!

I've the ditto ride and the i20 is at its best in Asta CRDi 6-Speed avatar. I got mine delivered during Sep 2010. I've covered almost 19000 kms till date. Did several Bangalore - Cochin trips and its a beast on those Krishnagiri - Avanashi route!.

So far I've kept her in stock condition. I've a few upgrades in mine for the 20000 kms service like a better horn, 90/100 head lights, HID for foglamps and all round tints. I find the OEM music system good for vocals (mid) and high feqs, so I am planning to add a shallow mount sub either under the driver seat or on the rear door pad under the wind shield, any take on this?

Last edited by aa_asif : 24th June 2011 at 11:01.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Congrats Kimified,

Glad to see one more addition in the community!

I've the ditto ride and the i20 is at its best in Asta CRDi 6-Speed avatar. I got mine delivered during Sep 2010. I've covered almost 19000 kms till date. Did several Bangalore - Cochin trips and its a beast on those Krishnagiri - Avanashi route!.

So far I've kept her in stock condition. I've a few upgrades in mine for the 20000 kms service like a better horn, 90/100 head lights, HID for foglamps and all round tints. I find the OEM music system good for vocals (mid) and high feqs, so I am planning to add a shallow mount sub either under the driver seat or on the rear door pad under the wind shield, any take on this?
Yeah. The way it keeps pulling at speeds above 100 all the way up till 160 without a hint of cribbing from the engine is really addictive on the highways. Enjoy the drives

Horn. I have got the Hella Red Grill ones. They sound pretty shrill and good enough for city and occasional highway use. There are bigger horns available in the market. And since you drive a lot on the highways, You can check them out too.

100/90. Philips bulbs with Harness circuit would do.

I don't about HID's. Haven't really thought about getting them on my car.

Yeah. The OEM player is pretty decent but lacks the Bass. About the placement of the sub, Won't it be better to place it in the boot rather than under the seat ? I am an ICE noob, But something tells me it won't produce the desired result if you place the sub under the seat. I would suggest you to put it on the ICE expert section and get views from there.

The tints, if you are looking at the dark tints, Don't go beyond CS20 like i mentioned in my first post. There are other 3M series sun films which provide greater transparency. I suggest you check out there website to decide on what you need.

Just happened to see your Gallery. The pics are really nice. But i think it'll look even better with tints and blackened B pillar
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 08:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Horn. I have got the Hella Red Grill ones.

100/90. Philips bulbs with Harness circuit would do.

About the placement of the sub, Won't it be better to place it in the boot rather than under the seat ?

There are other 3M series sun films which provide greater transparency. I suggest you check out there website to decide on what you need.

Just happened to see your Gallery. The pics are really nice. But i think it'll look even better with tints and blackened B pillar
Thanks alot for the replyBuddy! .

Did you get the horn and 90/100 blub fixed at the service centre? I hope these Hyundai A.S.S jokers will not create a problem on the warranty if i get it done outside.

I have the exact horn in my mind, Could you share the price and where you picked and fixed it from? and did you go for a clamp or a stay to fix the extra one? (i20 comes with a single horn right?)

Did you go for Philips rally bulbs? again the price and place please?

Regarding the Sub, I came to know that putting it under the seat will not help at all.

I have also almost cleaned up that rear hatch "billboard", ( Too many stickers on the back door!! ). Removed that "H Y U N D A I" and "ABS" tag.

Black B Pillar was always there in my mind. I was just too lazy to get it done. I need to find a good place to get it done.

Those pictures in the gallery was taken when the baby was around a week old, Glad you liked them.

Enjoy your ride too, Hope to meet you sometime somewhere in Bangalore.

Cheers!
Old 30th June 2011, 21:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif

Thanks alot for the replyBuddy! .

Did you get the horn and 90/100 blub fixed at the service centre? I hope these Hyundai A.S.S jokers will not create a problem on the warranty if i get it done outside.

I have the exact horn in my mind, Could you share the price and where you picked and fixed it from? and did you go for a clamp or a stay to fix the extra one? (i20 comes with a single horn right?)

Did you go for Philips rally bulbs? again the price and place please?

Regarding the Sub, I came to know that putting it under the seat will not help at all.

I have also almost cleaned up that rear hatch "billboard", ( Too many stickers on the back door!! ). Removed that "H Y U N D A I" and "ABS" tag.

Black B Pillar was always there in my mind. I was just too lazy to get it done. I need to find a good place to get it done.

Those pictures in the gallery was taken when the baby was around a week old, Glad you liked them.

Enjoy your ride too, Hope to meet you sometime somewhere in Bangalore.

Cheers!
I did not bother about the warranty. I knew I would not be able to play around with anything if I am worried about the warranty. Even installing the window roll up module and the HU would require cutting wires. So I got it the headlights done from outside. I think my electrical warrantty is already invalid

Yeah. I20 comes with a single horn. You have to fit the extra one. The clamp comes with the horn. You don't have to buy it extra.
Got it done from a local accessories shop close to my place in jayanagar Bangalore. I have been going to him from past 2 years for all these small fittings, so kind of get most things done from him unless its got to do with some ICE stuff. I get the ICE stuff done from thouqeer in kormangala Bangalore. I paid 1.4 k for the horn including the fitting.

Yup. I got the rally bulbs. Costs around 150 for each bulb. The harness circuit would cost around 600 bucks. Got it done from the same guy in jayanagar.

Yeah. Even I have been contemplating on removing all the badges at the back. I want to remove everything except crdi and asta (I would like to remove asta also, but I like symmetry. So have decided to keep asta also )

Blacked b pillar would make it look really good. Get it done when you get the headlights and sub done.

Sure. Would love to meet you too. Happy driving
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 00:14   #38
BHPian

Updating this thread after quite a gap. My car has now done 13k km and well, Nothing's majorly changed. I still haven't got any Steering Rattle (touch wood) but the engine noise at cold starts has slightly increased albeit a very small increase.

Mileage figures have improved after the second service and oil change. I am getting 12.5 kmpl as compared to 11.8 i used to get before in city and with a heavy foot.
One strange thing i have noticed, There is a drastic difference in FE figures if i fill at other fuel stations. I generally make it a point to fill at only IOC bunks. But i have had to fill at HP pumps 3 times in the 13k kilometers coz the fuel level was too low to take it to the next IOC pump.There is a drop of 1kmpl every single time!

I think i have got used to the Turbo lag so much that i don't really notice it kicking in these days at all I don't know if the lag has reduced after the service (I am not technically good enough to comment on it anyway) or i am just too used to it and shift better.

Did a Bangalore - Davangere around a month back. I still love it so much on the Highways. Pulls so neat and clean. Am doing a Bangalore - Shimoga tomorrow morning, Will update with the mileage figures once i am back.

Some random pics.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-wow.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-wow1.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-wow3_edit1.jpg

Hyundai people had called me up for rating the service. I rated 2 parameters a 8 on 10. (Delay and the wash). Delay coz they made me wait for close to an hour and half more than what they had promised for and the wash coz they had put the polish on the door pads which made the beige color look dirty (The polish was actually for the arm rest on the doors. But they had by mistake touched the beige part as well). I just thought it was a customary review and nothing too serious.

Someone from Hyundai calls me in the next 10 minutes and asks me for an appointment so that they can come and wash the car at my place. I was really impressed!

I really did not know the rating i give actually affects my SA as well. He calls me in the evening and says "Sir, why did you give that rating! I would solved you all your problems and given you a free wash anytime you wanted". I apologized to him and asked him to tell the Hyundai guys to call me again. Gave a 9 rating the second time. I really like my SA, he is a very nice and honest guy. Did not want him to be disappointed.

All this coz of Hyundai's horrible rating scale. They have 1 - 8 as bad. 9 good. 10 Excellent. Where is Average ?? Why would they need 8 levels for bad. Beats me!

I ordered and got a ELM327 bluetooth scanner for 20 dollars (Check OBD thread for the link). Worked fine for 3 days and then stopped working. I met other BHPian's Salbin and White-Rabbit around 2 weeks back. They wanted to try out the scanner on there Beat. I plugged out the scanner from my car's OBD port and plugged it on the beat, It stops working! No more recognized by my phone. I think i removed it from the slot when the car was on. So not really sure if that caused the problem. I mailed the people whom i ordered from that i have a problem with it, they asked me for the pics, I promptly mailed them the pics and guess what, they are ready to replace it with a new one for me. (Just that i have to ship the old one to Hong kong and i know it'll cost me a bomb). Haven't mailed them back, will do tomorrow telling them that it'll cost me more to ship than the product itself and asking them for an alternative.
For the time it was working, it worked like a charm without any problem.

I have also ordered for the L-shaped Merc type DRL's. Haven't got them as yet. Will update once i get it. Cheers!
Old 15th August 2011, 01:11   #39
BHPian

The 1-8 funda is really funny. On the day of delivery the sales executive gave me his form and told me that 1-8 is bad and 9 and 10 are the good ratings. I jokingly told him that I would give him a 4 :-)
He laughed and told me to rate him better (which he deserted for sure). He said that the company takes it seriously and that i would be getting a call from Hyundai to confirm the same. Within a week i got a call from Delhi asking me to confirm the ratings..!! :-)
arrowaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 20:18   #40
BHPian

Nice Pics Kimified !!! Shows your love for the car..keep driving
classicselva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 19:48   #41
BHPian

Gifted a Necklace for Ganesh Chathurthi DRL's go on!

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-drl_1_edit.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-drl_edit.jpg
Old 28th August 2011, 20:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Those DRLs have definitely scaled up the front looks of your i20.
Where did you get these installed? What was the cost? What changes in wiring were made to install these DRLs?
Old 28th August 2011, 20:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Gifted a Necklace for Ganesh Chathurthi DRL's go on!
The DRL looks great in the i20 and the white color of your car just accentuates the looks of it. Quite brilliant! I also like the pictures that you have uploaded a few posts earlier. Loved the positioning of the LTD sticker and the black&white frontal shot of the car. Wishing you many more happy miles in the car!
Old 28th August 2011, 20:58   #44
BHPian

Nice pics.
As expected, the DRLs looks great.
Where did you fix the switch for the DRL?
Old 28th August 2011, 21:47   #45
BHPian

Hi Kimified,

I have driven a friend's 5 gear i-20 CRDI top end model ( approx 1.5 yr. old) & loved the wonderful pulling power of the car. I think, it is way better in comparision to Swift DDIS. Also I felt, on highway the engine is very refined & hard to hear, again better than Swift DDIS. But the AC was pathetic to say the least. Enquired with my friend about the AC problem. He said, it is there from day 1. He had lodged a complaint with Hyndai after which AC of the car was serviced several times by Hyundai, but no improvement was observed.

You seem to be quite satisfied with AC of your car.Newer owners of i-20 too are happy with AC performance of the car. Has Hyundai done any improvement on AC of new i-20 cars??? If that is so, then I feel the weakest point of the car is gone.

Have you driven new Verna CRDI 1.6. If yes, can you compare the power delivery & high speed cruising abilities of the car with your i-20. Many new Verna reviews suggest that it can not handle speed in excess of 120 kmph with confidence. Due to it's soft suspension, it gives uncomfortable riding experience to the rear pasengers too. Any such issues with your i-20.

I have booked one Verna 1.6 CRDI, thus the querries. Kindly reply at the earliest.

Any one having experience of both i-20 CRDI & Verna fluidic CRDI may contribute plz.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks