Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 21:30   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A power steering whine will be like a whirring sound.It will be loudest in the morning but if it persists even after warm up
I don't think the noise is due to power steering. Anyway, I will try to get this checked too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
You can tell when a man loves his car and this thread is the perfect tribute to that.
Thanks a ton for that nice complement coolkurt. I have loved cars since childhood and that love isn't showing any signs of coming down.
Quote:
Did you change the speakers as well or just the HU?
Nope, I just changed the head unit. Speakers are still stock.
Quote:
I'd advise you to just get basic service done at HASS and all repairs/part replacements outside. Sourcing parts for civic from the open market is not a hassle yet, atleast in NCR.
I have been thinking of doing that for quite some time now but couldn't muster courage to do so. This probably is the right time to try and find an independent garage.
Old 5th March 2015, 23:14   #257
Senior - BHPian

After a few weeks of experiencing a pretty noisy ride in the car, I finally managed to sort the problem out last weekend. It was indeed the front wheel bearings that went bust, something that I confirmed with not one but three sources - HASS, Ignite (an independent garage) and a local mechanic.

As usual, the HASS folks didn't have the parts in stock when I took the car over to them in the third week of February. Including labour charges, they indicated a tentative cost of INR 19,000 for replacement of the two front wheel bearings. Provided me placing the order on the same day, the parts would take atleast another week to arrive.

That's when I decided I will have to seek the advice of a trusted independent garage this time, no matter what. I also hadn't forgotten these statements from Team-BHP friends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
1. I guess we Civic owners must know where to source spares outside of HASS as most of the times we are taken for a ride by them. In this context, please enlighten me with possible sources in Chennai.

3. As an extension to point 1 above, we need to identify a competent local garage as well that could take care of all mechanical needs and body shop work at reasonable rates. Again, any pointers for this in Chennai if you could share would be appreciated.
Quote:
Arvi and RR Zen guys it's time you guys look for a good independent garage rather than HASS for maintaining your Civic.
Quote:
I'd advise you to just get basic service done at HASS and all repairs/part replacements outside. Sourcing parts for civic from the open market is not a hassle yet, atleast in NCR.
Based on the feedback from those who had been there, I decided to try out Ignite this time. I took a prior appointment with Mr. Raghav, the proprietor of Ignite, and took my car to them for diagnosis. Unfortunately, he is recovering from an accident and couldn't drive the car. One of his mechanics took the car out for a test drive and confirmed that the front bearings are gone. The price quoted was a mere INR 3,500 per bearing excluding labour charges. Mr. Raghav confirmed that these bearings are made by NTN, the same brand that supplies OE bearings to Honda. Apart from the reasonable prices, what I liked about them was the honest feedback and straightforward answers to our complaints. I took an appointment again for last Friday with a request to deliver the car back by Saturday afternoon.

As fixed, I gave my car on Friday afternoon and got it back on Saturday. When I drove the car back home, I felt that I was driving a completely different car altogether. I'm not exaggerating but it just highlighted what I was missing from the Civic in the last couple of months. The car is back to its super smooth state now and the free-revving 1.8 i-VTEC can be heard in all its glory now again. I paid Ignite INR 10,400 which included INR 1,500 for replacement of wheel hubs. Overall, it has been a positive experience till now with Ignite and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to others.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 09:52   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
After a few weeks of experiencing a pretty noisy ride in the car, I finally managed to sort the problem out last weekend. It was indeed the front wheel bearings that went bust, something that I confirmed with not one but three sources - HASS, Ignite (an independent garage) and a local mechanic.

As usual, the HASS folks didn't have the parts in stock when I took the car over to them in the third week of February. Including labour charges, they indicated a tentative cost of INR 19,000 for replacement of the two front wheel bearings. Provided me placing the order on the same day, the parts would take atleast another week to arrive.

That's when I decided I will have to seek the advice of a trusted independent garage this time, no matter what. I also hadn't forgotten these statements from Team-BHP friends:

Based on the feedback from those who had been there, I decided to try out Ignite this time. I took a prior appointment with Mr. Raghav, the proprietor of Ignite, and took my car to them for diagnosis. Unfortunately, he is recovering from an accident and couldn't drive the car. One of his mechanics took the car out for a test drive and confirmed that the front bearings are gone. The price quoted was a mere INR 3,500 per bearing excluding labour charges. Mr. Raghav confirmed that these bearings are made by NTN, the same brand that supplies OE bearings to Honda. Apart from the reasonable prices, what I liked about them was the honest feedback and straightforward answers to our complaints. I took an appointment again for last Friday with a request to deliver the car back by Saturday afternoon.

As fixed, I gave my car on Friday afternoon and got it back on Saturday. When I drove the car back home, I felt that I was driving a completely different car altogether. I'm not exaggerating but it just highlighted what I was missing from the Civic in the last couple of months. The car is back to its super smooth state now and the free-revving 1.8 i-VTEC can be heard in all its glory now again. I paid Ignite INR 10,400 which included INR 1,500 for replacement of wheel hubs. Overall, it has been a positive experience till now with Ignite and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to others.
Thats encouraging to hear. What are the other things that you got done that pushed up the bill to 10.4K ?
Old 6th March 2015, 10:20   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats encouraging to hear. What are the other things that you got done that pushed up the bill to 10.4K ?
8K was the cost of the two bearings including VAT and 2.4K was the labour charges including ST.
Old 8th March 2015, 08:13   #260
Senior - BHPian

Some Honda OE components in the after market are much cheaper than at HASS. For eg Honda quoted 12K for a condenser fan. I got the same, denso make, at 3.3K outside. Ditto for the radiator fan which i got for < 3K outside. Did not bother to find HASS prices for the radiator fan

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th March 2015 at 08:15.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 06:18   #261
Senior - BHPian

I'm hearing the front wheel bearing noise again in the car since Monday. I had a quick chat with Raghav, the owner of Ignite - the garage where I replaced both front wheel bearings just a month back, and he has asked to bring the car for a check. I'm hoping I would find time this weekend to take my car there for inspection.

There is no way in hell that two new bearings could go kaput in less than a month. So, I have my fingers crossed now.
Old 30th April 2015, 13:16   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm hearing the front wheel bearing noise again in the car since Monday. I had a quick chat with Raghav, the owner of Ignite - the garage where I replaced both front wheel bearings just a month back, and he has asked to bring the car for a check. I'm hoping I would find time this weekend to take my car there for inspection.

There is no way in hell that two new bearings could go kaput in less than a month. So, I have my fingers crossed now.
Did you get your problem fixed as yet ? I have been wanting to check with you on this for sometime now and incidentally today happened to a read some negative feedback about Ignite here (Car repairs & maintenance : Ignite Garage (Chennai))
Old 4th May 2015, 15:56   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm hearing the front wheel bearing noise again in the car since Monday.
Quote:
Did you get your problem fixed as yet ?
As stated earlier, I was hearing noises from the front wheels within a month of replacing both the bearings from Ignite, an independent garage in Chennai that has earned a name for itself. I took the car back to Ignite and Raghav himself offered to inspect and later drive the car too. On visual inspection, he said the noise could be because of the tires. Of late, the front tires have gone worse with a lot of visible small cuts on the surface. The road-laying work in my locality was on and the authorities, as usual, had left the road with the grainy gravel for some weeks. I had to drive on that to reach my house and that has probably taken its toll on the tires.

Next up was the test drive. I stayed in the car and he drove through both smooth sections and few rough, patched up sections of the ECR. His theory was the intensity and the pitch of the bearing noise wouldn't change with the change in road surface. In our case, it did. He also swerved a few times, looking for change in frequency of the noise but we couldn't find any change in frequency too. Finally, when we were back in the garage, all four wheels were raised individually and checked for play and noise and nothing could be heard. He concluded tires were the culprit.

I'll post pictures of the tires shortly. They are in very bad shape and have to be replaced immediately, especially the front tires. Meanwhile, I'm still deliberating as Raghav advised to get the suspension checked thoroughly before replacing the tires. He said both the front and rear suspensions are showing signs of weakness and they will have to open the car to find out what are to be replaced and what not. I'm still undecided.

Quote:
incidentally today happened to a read some negative feedback about Ignite here (Car repairs & maintenance : Ignite Garage (Chennai))
I had a different experience. I spoke to Raghav directly and he clearly indicated the tentative cost before hand. In fact, he even stated that lathe charges for removing and refitting the wheel hubs would be additional and said that it will be added to the final bill. I found them to be very professional in their assessment and workmanship too.
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 10:12   #264
Senior - BHPian

Arvi,

How many kms have the tires done ? Also as per my Honda advisor and also going by Laluk sir's car , the Civic shockers can run upto 90k kms without needing change under normal circumstances. What exactly the suspension components are needed to be checked as suggested by Ignite garage.

In my case my left shocker was busted and i could hear rumbling and dull clunking sound while going over potholes. Weak suspension could mean busted bushes. At most the ball joints and bushes could need replacing. 33.3k was what cost me for a front suspension overhaul so your figure should never cross this mark if they quote something.

I am not sure but i think bearing noise can be checked by jacking up the car and rolling the wheel with the tires off the ground.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...-bearings.html
Old 4th July 2015, 13:55   #265
Senior - BHPian

It's been just over 4 years now since I drove home in the Civic. The odometer is now nudging close to 70K and the next service is on the cards now. Again, I'm in a dilemma as to whether to go to the Honda dealership or try out Ignite again. The last time I went to Ignite for replacement of my wheel bearings, I had a very good experience which is pushing me to try them again for the upcoming service.

Meanwhile, a couple of issues have cropped up. Two weekends back, the brake lights went kaput and wouldn't turn off even when I switch off the engine and pull out the key. It happened on a Sunday evening and I rushed back to the Honda dealership to see if it could be sorted out. It couldn't and I had to get the switch disconnected. So, my car is now running without brake illumination and I'm afraid to take it out this way. Incidentally, the left side door opening lever stopped functioning the same week. The door can be opened from outside but not from inside.

These two niggles apart, I have a whole lot of items to be checked in the upcoming service.

1. At lower RPMs in first and second gear, the car isn't decelerating smoothly. Instead, it chokes. I'm not sure if this is due to the poor low end of the i-VTEC or something else.
2. At times, when I press the clutch to upshift at higher revs, there is a mild jerk. This has been there for some time now and I am thinking of getting it checked now.
3. As suggested by Ignite's Raghav last time, the suspension has to go under the scanner too to see what has to be replaced. When I asked the Honda dealership to check the suspension as there are loud thuds every time I drive over potholes, they guessed it could be due to the lower arm bushes. The service advisor though suggested its not necessary and all Civics give out loud thus when going over anything more than a small pothole.
4. There are a few scratches the car has picked up, most of them due to notorious two and three-wheelers crisscrossing Chennai. So, a nip and tuck is on the cards too.
5. As I mentioned in the previous post, the tires are due for replacement too.

I would really appreciate if fellow Civic owners in the forum could help me with points 1, 2 and 3 listed above. Have you experienced something similar?

All in all, I'm looking at a hefty cost for my next service. And that brings me back to the same question - Honda dealership or Ignite? I'm scratching my head still.

I'm sorry Sumeet, I just failed to notice your query all these days.
Quote:
How many kms have the tires done ?
These tires were one of the first things I changed when I bought the car. So, they have been on since 29,000 km. Given that the car is currently 69.5K ish, the tires have done a little over 40,000 km.
Quote:
What exactly the suspension components are needed to be checked as suggested by Ignite garage.
As I said before, Raghav wouldn't comment before checking the suspension components thoroughly. So, I have no idea what's good and what's gone.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 14:13   #266
Senior - BHPian

I had the same brake light issue. There is a switch under the dashboard which needs replacing and is not a big deal. For engine device i would recommend Hass as i have observed somehow after a hass service the car is more smoother. Ask for throttle body cleaning, injector cleaning and ecu reset which should be at done last. This should reduce jerk issue.
Old 4th July 2015, 15:56   #267
BHPian

Quote:
the left side door opening lever stopped functioning the same week. The door can be opened from outside but not from inside.
Check for the child lock. It might have been engaged by mistake.

Quote:
3. As suggested by Ignite's Raghav last time, the suspension has to go under the scanner too to see what has to be replaced. When I asked the Honda dealership to check the suspension as there are loud thuds every time I drive over potholes, they guessed it could be due to the lower arm bushes. The service advisor though suggested its not necessary and all Civics give out loud thus when going over anything more than a small pothole.
I have the same problem. Keeping my fingers crossed. The thud sound for me happens only when come across a pothole while turning or coming out of a deep hole at moderate speeds. But if I go over the hole with brakes (not the right way, but sometimes it happens) the sound is not heard. Im driving carefully and go over potholes at speeds less than 10km/hr.
Quote:
5. As I mentioned in the previous post, the tires are due for replacement too.
29000 for a tyre change is premature. Were the tyres with older manufacturing date whenyou purchased? Cracks appear only when the rubber hardens, which is usualy 4 to 5 years from vulcanizing.

Quote:
All in all, I'm looking at a hefty cost for my next service. And that brings me back to the same question - Honda dealership or Ignite? I'm scratching my head still.
Given an option go to a good FNG. I dont have any near my home so stuck with HASS.

Have few problems of my own. The steering is now hard for the last few hundred kms. Initially we thought the engine mounts was the culprit, changed them (It was due for a long time!), but still the problem persists.

Tried wheel alignment, checked the steering system. Was fine.

HASS guys has no clue. Pls. suggest.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 22:15   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For engine device i would recommend Hass as i have observed somehow after a hass service the car is more smoother.
I've observed this too. Thanks, the advice is taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Check for the child lock. It might have been engaged by mistake.
Wow, didn't think of it. I'll check this first thing tomorrow, thanks.
Quote:
The thud sound for me happens only when come across a pothole while turning or coming out of a deep hole at moderate speeds. But if I go over the hole with brakes (not the right way, but sometimes it happens) the sound is not heard. Im driving carefully and go over potholes at speeds less than 10km/hr.
I haven't observed such details as I am now sort of used to the thuds. But yes, I negotiate potholes with utmost care at slow speeds too unless I'm caught out on those highway drives.
Quote:
29000 for a tyre change is premature. Were the tyres with older manufacturing date whenyou purchased? Cracks appear only when the rubber hardens, which is usualy 4 to 5 years from vulcanizing.
The steering is now hard for the last few hundred kms.[/quote]
It could be the power steering fluid leak problem. Our forum member Sumeet faced the same problems too. You can find out details on this problem in the following thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-449.html. Just search for 'Power steering fluid leakage' and you'll find several posts on that.
Old 5th July 2015, 08:01   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been just over 4 years now since I drove home in the Civic. The odometer is now nudging close to 70K and the next service is on the cards now.
It's high time you have this thread moved to the long term ownership section

Quote:
1. At lower RPMs in first and second gear, the car isn't decelerating smoothly. Instead, it chokes. I'm not sure if this is due to the poor low end of the i-VTEC or something else.
2. At times, when I press the clutch to upshift at higher revs, there is a mild jerk. This has been there for some time now and I am thinking of getting it checked now.
I had a similar jerk issue which reduced considerably after a throttle body cleaning. When was your fuel filter changed ? In a worse case it could be ignition coils but don't mention this to Honda as they cost a bomb (4.5k a piece and there are 4) let them come up with the diagnosis. If they do advise to change the coils remember you need not change all 4 and only the weaker ones can be changed.

Quote:

Civic's suspension is tough and can take abuse till 90k atleast. If the loud thuds are not translating to thunks etc i suggest don't bother changing anything for now. At-most get it inspected for peace of mind but i am quite sure your suspension is fine because even my 10k old overhauled front suspension goes thud thud so i think it's the car's characteristic.

Quote:

Have few problems of my own. The steering is now hard for the last few hundred kms. Initially we thought the engine mounts was the culprit, changed them (It was due for a long time!), but still the problem persists.
By any chance had you bought a new set of upsized tires ? Engine mount would not lead to a hard steering but a thunk sound. Check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir.
Old 6th July 2015, 09:32   #270
BHPian

Quote:
It could be the power steering fluid leak problem. Our forum member Sumeet faced the same problems too. You can find out details on this problem in the following thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-449.html. Just search for 'Power steering fluid leakage' and you'll find several posts on that.
Quote:
any any chance had you bought a new set of upsized tires ? Engine mount would not lead to a hard steering but a thunk sound. Check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir.
Thanks guys, the steering system is fine no leaks and enough oil available.

Ive been running with upsized tyres for almost 3 years now. Recently changed my alloys. But did not check for the difference in offset. Had to get this checked. But will this have any effect on steering?

Most Viewed