Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 20:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI

Buddy your car looks stunning! (Touch-wood). Sx4 is indeed a gem of a car. I too have Sx4 Zdi which has done about 14k in last one year. But i don't get above 15-16 km/L in case of mileage, which is mix of city and highway. May be due to regular turbo thrills which i love to take. I only use synthetic oil.

The only negative factor is abit of turbo lag b/w 1100-1600 RPM above that its total game changer.
Old 9th July 2013, 21:59   #77
BHPian

Re: Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI - 50K kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Hesitating to take it for the 50K service with the fear that MASS will rip me off
Rightly said Peter, we have a Vento/Ertiga/SX4D in our family. When ever you land into MASS they will keep pushing you for unwanted items during servicing and always recommend an interval of 5K for the service . So in effect the VW service cost (once in 15k) is more or less same as the MASS service ( 2 service cost at an interval of 5 K).

These unwanted items recommended by MASS are not really needed but they keep pushing for it mentioning it is a preventive mechanism and would end up in a big issue at a later point in time.
Old 10th July 2013, 14:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Buddy your car looks stunning! (Touch-wood). Sx4 is indeed a gem of a car. I too have Sx4 Zdi which has done about 14k in last one year. But i don't get above 15-16 km/L in case of mileage, which is mix of city and highway. May be due to regular turbo thrills which i love to take. I only use synthetic oil.

The only negative factor is abit of turbo lag b/w 1100-1600 RPM above that its total game changer.
Thanks Amit ,

Indeed .. spirited driving has its cons , the mileage is whats hit the most.
Old 10th July 2013, 16:56   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
So in effect the VW service cost (once in 15k) is more or less same as the MASS service ( 2 service cost at an interval of 5 K).
Sandeep, It is not required to service car at 5K interval. Service intervals of Ertiga and SX4 are 10K like other Maruti's I guess. Though service center pushes for 5K interval for milking money.
Old 10th July 2013, 19:44   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Sandeep, It is not required to service car at 5K interval. Service intervals of Ertiga and SX4 are 10K like other Maruti's I guess. Though service center pushes for 5K interval for milking money.
You are right Suhas but any issues with the vehicle MASS will keep on complaining that it occurred because the vehicle was serviced at 10k Interval instead of the 5k Interval .

The front bearing had gone bad on the Ertiga because of a manufacturing defect and it was blamed on us because we had serviced the vehicle at 10k interval.

Even if we complain to Maruti there is no use because the service center and manufacturer are hand in glove.Maruti could have probably issued a show notice to the service center on their recommended service interval.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:01   #81
BHPian

Try Mandovi Motors at Hennur Cross. They will not create any issues for this 10k interval, although they also recommend stuff not required or ask for 5k interval. Talk to Neil.

Tata Motors is good in this regard. Even though I ask for 7k service interval, they keep pushing for 10k interval saying it is not required. My safari being of old lot, it is written on the dashboard to change oil every 8k kms.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:13   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The front bearing had gone bad on the Ertiga because of a manufacturing defect and it was blamed on us because we had serviced the vehicle at 10k interval.
Bearing of a vehicle should not go bad this early. Ertiga came to market only last year so guessing your vehicle would not have covered more than 20K. Even if you had serviced at 5K intervals manufacturing defect like this would have come up and service center will come up with some different stories.
I guess you are in Bangalore, where do you give the vehicle for service ? I usually give my Alto for service at Suraksha near Silk board junction, Hosur road. They too put a sticker mentioning the next service when I cross 5K KMS. However I never bother to get it done and they don't insist too. Of course my vehicle is out of warranty period so it is different.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:42   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if we complain to Maruti there is no use because the service center and manufacturer are hand in glove.Maruti could have probably issued a show notice to the service center on their recommended service interval.
Maruti has tens of dealers and even more authorized non dealer service centers. you can happily change and go to another service center.

I have been giving my car for service only when i am close to 9-10K(from last 6+ years) and no one really complains. They do mention 5K interval but that has something to do with cars user manual. we are advised to check wheels every 5K(alignment,rotation etc), top up fluids and cleaning of air filter etc. Now, you can do all of this outside as well(Like i do) Only additional thing they do in the name of service is a full body wash(I have hired a guy for this at apartment) and checkup.

And coming to they trying to push extra stuff, better avoid such guys. Most probably dealerships always do this work, because their primary service requests come from those who have bought the car in last 1-2 years max and no modern car will have big issue in initial period.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:59   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess you are in Bangalore, where do you give the vehicle for service ?
Suhas the vehicle bearing was changed in AVG at Kottayam

The bearing going bad at such as early stage points to manufacturing defect.

I was afraid whether maruti would disclaim any issues because of the service interval of 10K . The items mentioned by Rajesh (if i get the name correct) can be done at a good tyre shop out side + a local workshop to top up the fluid.

MASS always recommend the nine-point check up during the 5 K interval service . This nine-point check up cost would easily touch 3 to 4K (service cost + consumables). INR 1350 is the standard service cost + other items on the list.

I feel we are hijacking Peters thread and probably deviating

However one needs to knowledge able enough to know what is required and what is not . Sometimes the SA are too good in convincing you and you realize at a later whether it was really needed.
sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 12:45   #85
BHPian

Firstly apologies to hijack your thread!

I am Sx4 diesel engine, the car has done about 14K in past one year. I am getting mileage of 15 to 15.5 (tankful method with 100% ac) which is believe is on the lower side. Also i have seen under hard acceleration there is puff of black smoke.

I do understand Diesel engine are prone to emit back smoke but hardly seen MJD engine emitting black smoke under heavy acceleration.

Now i am worried is this mileage (under moderate traffic) and black smoke normal?
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:20   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Firstly apologies to hijack your thread!

I am Sx4 diesel engine, the car has done about 14K in past one year. I am getting mileage of 15 to 15.5 (tankful method with 100% ac) which is believe is on the lower side. Also i have seen under hard acceleration there is puff of black smoke.

Now i am worried is this mileage (under moderate traffic) and black smoke normal?
Hey Amitpunjani,

Abrupt accelaration ( If thats what you mean ) will surely emit black smoke , cause what you are doing is nothin but feeding excess diesel which further on gets pushed out as black smoke , I see this somethimes when I accelerate more then required at the relevant rpm levels .

But if its normal acceleration then there should not be black smoke , offcourse also depends on the health of the engine as well , regular oil changes and the works.

Regarding on the mileage part .. its difficult to comment , as there are varipous factors that could contribute to the drop , especially bumper to bumper traffic , abrupt braking , excess revving etc

cheers
Peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 19:43   #87
BHPian

Re: Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI - A 62K update

Dear Team,

Almost 3 years now ( completing next month ) , driven 62K kms and time to give away the Black Beauty as am leaving the country for better prospects , thought Id might as well share an update

- The Car still feels as good as new ,
- Turbo is in its best of health
- NO Vibrations until today
- The engine .. just amazing
- No drop in mileage yet , still gives me around 19kms to the litre
- Battery is still going strong .. no signs of weakness until today
- The tyres had worn out so have replaced them recently
- Managed to keep the engine bay sparkling until today
- Overall a very good purchase , no repentence whatsoever .. hate to let it go

A few pics to sum up this ownership thread
Attached Thumbnails
Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI-img_20131226_174502_1.jpg  

Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI-img_20140301_105657.jpg  

Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI-img_20140301_110013.jpg  

Peter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 21:27   #88
JLS
BHPian

Re: Midnight Black SX4 DDIS VDI - A 62K update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Dear Team,

Almost 3 years now ( completing next month ) , driven 62K kms and time to give away the Black Beauty as am leaving the country for better prospects , thought Id might as well share an update

---snip---
A few pics to sum up this ownership thread
Peter,
Excellent ownership thread, I had followed up your thread since beginning.
I was also in a similar boat, had Hyundai Accent and keenly considered SX4 VDI based on your thread. However lack of ABS and other features compared to ZDI held me back, and SX4 ZDI did not seem much VFM. Hence, I continued with Accent till Sep 13.
Eventually, exchanged my Accent (2008) for Ertiga ZDI and am enjoying since then.
Wishing you all the best for your overseas endeavour.

Regards,

JLS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks