Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:31   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Now at 15,000 kms & 3rd service don

Thank you benbsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
In terms of long distance driving, i feel the Scorp quite comfortable which explains why its been putting on the miles rather quickly. Wifey too says she prefers the comfort of the Scorp over long drives. She also commented the visibility offerred by it is much better than the Ikon, which is her ride these days.
I think that sums it beautifully. You may find another convert soon, who knows!!!
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:56   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Now at 15,000 kms & 3rd service don

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thank you benbsb

I think that sums it beautifully. You may find another convert soon, who knows!!!
Let me know if you want to check it out in detail sometime.

However, all said and done, i would recommend the SLE variant if you can afford it, as it comes with a whole lot of features which are nice to have in their own little ways, and the all-important ABS.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:08   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I was overtaken by a Scorpio, while I was doing ~120Kph. The SUV was driven well and felt composed at that speed, as it went over some road undulations, typically found on fyovers. It was nice to see, though I might never try that on a Scorpio.
If so, how was the passenger comfort? I've never traveled long distance on Scorpio.
I prefer a laid back seating position far away from the wheel. In Scorpio, everything seem to be so close to you. Also the seat is flat. Does it induce fatigue on long driving
I can pitch in here with 5 years, 20 states and all kind of road conditions with the Scorpio.
The truck feels very safe and planted, even during decent lane changes at 120kmph, but beyond that, you feel that it is an SUV and needs to be driven like one.

Things do seem close to you but it only a matter of getting used to it, don't worry, it happens within the first 100kms of driving one.
Last weekend, we were 2 couples, and drove from Chitradurga to Hampi and back to Bangalore with, let alone complaints, but no fatigue at all from both our middle row passengers who had, travelled this long a distance, in a personal vehicle, for the first time in India.

2 months ago, 3 of us did an almost non stop drive from Bangalore to Bilaspur and nobody was tired or uncomfortable for a moment in Hariya.

I, as a the sole driver, have done Blore-Delhi non-stop umpteen times and have never felt fatigued or any body pain of any nature.

Hope this helps.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 13:07   #139
Team-BHP Support

The first replacement on my Scorpio was done this week, which was the door switch for the rear hatch door. This switch is activated to turn on the rear cabin light, and used to work intermittently right from the time i bought the vehicle. I had raised this at each service, and each time they used to apply some WD40, and it would work for some time.

I finally realized i had enough of it, as the cabin light wouldnt turn on when it needed it in the dark, and so decided to get it replaced. I got it done at the Sireesh Auto outlet at Marathalli, and had to wait about an hour for the job to be done although the actual job tookonly about 5-10 mins.

The cost of the replacement including labour came to about Rs. 76/-.

That said, the Scorp now hovers around the 18,200 kms mark and we also made a trip to Yercaud for Easter.

Some pics from the trip attached.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_3144.jpg

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_3197.jpg
Old 25th May 2012, 13:17   #140
Team-BHP Support

20,000 kms service done.

With the 20,000 kms mark approaching, the Scorpio was due for its first paid service. It's not surprising that the first paid service also turns out to be a major service as per the Scorpio's manual.

Frankly, i find this 5000 kms service interval rather irritating. It turns out to be just another money spinner for the dealerships, and added traffic at the service centers. I cannot fathom why Mahindra cannot come up with 10,000 kms service intervals, where the work carried out in the alternate service is clubbed with the one at the 10,000 kms interval!

That said, i booked to have the service done at Sireesh Auto in Marathalli, as this is where i have been getting it serviced all along, and also developed a rapport with one of the service advisors there.

Going for the service, the odo read 19988 kms, and had the following tasks to be addressed :
  • Wiper spray nozzle was blocked, so only one jet was being sprayed, rather than the dual spray.
  • Missing rubber knob for the outer RVM on the passenger side. This is not a part that is easily available, and the previous one had gotten damaged when some relative's kids were playing with it.
  • Wheel rotation - 4 wheels.
In the morning, I handed in the vehicle which had on it a whole lot of muck from the Bangalore rains, and got a call from the service advisor about it being ready in time in the evening, as promised. Full marks on the punctuality.

However, when i inspected the vehicle parked outside following the service, i was disappointed with the washing. Post washing, the black
bumpers were looking rather faded and greyish, not to mention the same for the grille and door handles.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-photo0986-copy.jpg

I pointed out the same to the service advisor, and asked to have them polished which was promptly done. The vehicle appeared much more presentable following this.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-photo0988-copy.jpg

As a pleasant surprise, the wiper nozzle block issue was resolved and i was also given the ORVM rubber knob with no extra
charge.

Following is the breakup as per the bill :
PARTS :
Fuel Filter Cartridge : Rs. 1647.37
Emery Paper : Rs. 34.85
Oil filter : Rs. 133.64
MahindraMaximile : Rs.253.52 * 7 litres = Rs. 1774.57
Rust Off : Rs. 103.54
TOTAL including taxes : Rs. 4211.09

LABOUR :
Washing and Vacum : Rs. 375
Major Service charge : Rs. 2700
TOTAL including taxes : Rs. 3455.07
GRAND TOTAL : Rs. 7666.00

Looking back at the bill, i am surprised to see the engine oil being billed for 7 litres! I remember there being a discussion on this in the past wherein it was informed that the 2.2L engine should take in only about 6.x litres.

Comparing the service costs of the Scorpio to the Fortuner perhaps brings out the fact that the Toyota does come with lower servicing costs, IIRC. I am surprised that despite there being no major problems to report, the bill amount still comes to so much!
Old 25th May 2012, 15:31   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Comparing the service costs of the Scorpio to the Fortuner perhaps brings out the fact that the Toyota does come with lower servicing costs, IIRC. I am surprised that despite there being no major problems to report, the bill amount still comes to so much!
M&M service costs have indeed risen (is it a part of "Mahindra Rise") to very high levels Benny. 7k INR for a service is actually expensive.

Also, when you look at the break up, M&M has charged INR 3400 to replace parts worth 4200, this is astonishingly expensive.

Since when did major service charge become 2700.00? AFAIK, it was 900.00 for service and 900.00 for brakes OCA.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:45   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
M&M service costs have indeed risen (is it a part of "Mahindra Rise") to very high levels Benny. 7k INR for a service is actually expensive.

Also, when you look at the break up, M&M has charged INR 3400 to replace parts worth 4200, this is astonishingly expensive.

Since when did major service charge become 2700.00? AFAIK, it was 900.00 for service and 900.00 for brakes OCA.
There is a big board at the service center which says major service cost is 2700. I do not remember how much it was mentioned for a non-major service.

The only solace i derive is that maintenance is not being billed to me as it is on lease.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!

Quote:
Looking back at the bill, i am surprised to see the engine oil being billed for 7 litres! I remember there being a discussion on this in the past wherein it was informed that the 2.2L engine should take in only about 6.x litres.
It's 6 liters and I remember pretty well. It's here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The list of works to be attended to last week when I dropped the car was
  1. Engine Oil Change.
I leave 6 liters of Shell Engine Oil also with them.My priority was to get the car serviced and delivered whatever time of the day it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Dev its been so for atleast year now, the major service price I meant. Check here (Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done).
Old 29th May 2012, 10:42   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
20,000 kms service done.

.. the engine oil being billed for 7 litres! .. it was informed that the 2.2L engine should take in only about 6.x litres.
Vengeance is all mine ! Said Benny, as he knocked the miles & clocked the kilometers.

Reg the oil, pls check the oil level. Next time you go for oil change, get the SA to write down on the JC to put in only 6.5 lit or so. It is absolutely safe to be a notch below the max on the dip-stick.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:22   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
It's 6 liters and I remember pretty well.

Dev its been so for atleast year now, the major service price I meant. Check here (Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done).
Thanks for confirming, Riju. I also remember reading a discussion on the quantity on the Scorpio yahoo groups as well.

Somehow i feel the labour costs are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Vengeance is all mine ! Said Benny, as he knocked the miles & clocked the kilometers.

Reg the oil, pls check the oil level. Next time you go for oil change, get the SA to write down on the JC to put in only 6.5 lit or so. It is absolutely safe to be a notch below the max on the dip-stick.
As Riju has mentioned, and also from what i have read in the past, the quantity to be charged is 6 litres.

As for the kms piling on, the home-office commute and weekend leisure trips are the culprits.
Old 6th June 2012, 23:19   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

benbsb29 read your later posts. Your Scorpio is quite well maintained. Already it has run 20 K kms in an year. The bumper and other black plastics were faded before the servicing. Please use 3M Plastic Shield to polish them once in awhile. This works very well on the dash and all other black plastics.
As regards the engine oil, I am sure the Maxi Mile plastic can can accommodate no more than 6 litres.It is tailor made for such oil changes. I am not sure how they charged you for seven litres? I find that I have also been charged for six litres.
True, the 5000 kms interval is quite absurd in these times when most other manufacturers are switching over to the 10 K intervals. I believe the Logan /Verito also has a similar recommendation of 10 K intervals, that they used to loudly proclaim.
In one of the pictures, to the right of your Scorpio are parked dozens of Logans. I am not sure how they have landed there?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th June 2012 at 23:22.
Old 12th July 2012, 16:11   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
benbsb29 read your later posts. Your Scorpio is quite well maintained. Already it has run 20 K kms in an year. The bumper and other black plastics were faded before the servicing. Please use 3M Plastic Shield to polish them once in awhile. This works very well on the dash and all other black plastics.
As regards the engine oil, I am sure the Maxi Mile plastic can can accommodate no more than 6 litres.It is tailor made for such oil changes. I am not sure how they charged you for seven litres? I find that I have also been charged for six litres.
True, the 5000 kms interval is quite absurd in these times when most other manufacturers are switching over to the 10 K intervals. I believe the Logan /Verito also has a similar recommendation of 10 K intervals, that they used to loudly proclaim.
In one of the pictures, to the right of your Scorpio are parked dozens of Logans. I am not sure how they have landed there?
Anjan, i use the tyre cleaner spray to clean and polish the bumpers as well. Following this, they return to their original condition. It's like 2 birds with one stone.

The excess charging on oil was noticed earlier as well, but i didnt follow it up as yet.

I would much rather prefer a 10k service interval, which is definitely possible. M&M just seems to be carrying on with this to increase the income for their dealers.

The Logans you notice there are serviced by the same Mahindra dealer, i believe, although not at the same facility. They share the common yard, i guess.

----------------------------------

Moving on, here is the latest update.

Since the past month or so, i have been subjected to an irritating and persistent rattle on my Scorp. This does not happen when the vehicle is started from a cold start, but starts after the vehicle has warmed up a bit. This is observed mainly when the vehicle is at low RPMs, and as the RPM increases, the sound stops, or rather goes away as the frequency is changed now.

The sound is observed mainly near the dashboard area, although it cannot be claimed to be emanting from it. I checked the engine bay for any unusual signs in there, like any loose object which could be responsible, including the stand for the bonnet, but to no avail.

The sound is a persistent drone, which really has me irked. Has anyone else faced such an issue? Pointers on where to check would be highly appreciated.

Fuel effeciency figures have been good for the size of the vehicle, and the kind of roads i regularly commute, as this is a daily drive. A snapshot of the same has been provided below.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-fueleffeciency.jpg
Old 18th July 2012, 20:11   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29

Moving on, here is the latest update.

Since the past month or so, i have been subjected to an irritating and persistent rattle on my Scorp. This does not happen when the vehicle is started from a cold start, but starts after the vehicle has warmed up a bit. This is observed mainly when the vehicle is at low RPMs, and as the RPM increases, the sound stops, or rather goes away as the frequency is changed now.

The sound is observed mainly near the dashboard area, although it cannot be claimed to be emanting from it. I checked the engine bay for any unusual signs in there, like any loose object which could be responsible, including the stand for the bonnet, but to no avail.

The sound is a persistent drone, which really has me irked. Has anyone else faced such an issue? Pointers on where to check would be highly appreciated.

Fuel effeciency figures have been good for the size of the vehicle, and the kind of roads i regularly commute, as this is a daily drive. A snapshot of the same has been provided below.
This rattle sounds familiar to me, I had it in my Scorpio within 6 months of purchase and after two visits and a complete opening up of the dashboard the service centre was at a loss of words to find the solution, I took it to a road-side mechanic who earlier used to service my other vehicles, he just asked me to rev the vehicle at the point where the noise comes and then did a ear scan of the vehicle and he found the radio antenna on top of the vehicle loose and just tightened it, it did not rattle for the 120k kms that I drove before selling it. You can just check this.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 18th July 2012 at 20:12.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 21:54   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Benny,

Great to see you munching miles in the Scorpio!

One small question: Sorry if this has been asked before, but, does the vehicle come shod with Apollo Hawk A/T's as OE?
Old 19th July 2012, 14:24   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
This rattle sounds familiar to me, I had it in my Scorpio within 6 months of purchase and after two visits and a complete opening up of the dashboard the service centre was at a loss of words to find the solution, I took it to a road-side mechanic who earlier used to service my other vehicles, he just asked me to rev the vehicle at the point where the noise comes and then did a ear scan of the vehicle and he found the radio antenna on top of the vehicle loose and just tightened it, it did not rattle for the 120k kms that I drove before selling it. You can just check this.
Rajesh, thanks a lot for the tip! I shall check this today itself. However, i kinda feel the sound originates from somewhere near the dashboard, so never thought of this as an option. Also, i cannot rule out the option that my 3 year old daughter could have dropped something through the A/C vents near the windshield. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Benny,

Great to see you munching miles in the Scorpio!

One small question: Sorry if this has been asked before, but, does the vehicle come shod with Apollo Hawk A/T's as OE?
Thanks for visting this thread, Dhanush.

On my particular vehicle, i got the Apollo Hawkz as OEM. These are any day better than the JKs, if i were to get them! My colleague and friend got JKs on his Scorpio SLE, and cannot get enough words to curse them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks