Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:32   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post

Thanks Frontosa!

1. Yes, 3M's vinyl wrap is available in various colors. As far as I can remember, they have Carbon Fiber finish in Black, Silver, Grey & Matte finish in the same colors.
I highly doubt the availability of Pink from 3M.
But worry not, guys like D.A.D, Motormind & J&J Motorwerks should be able to get you any color you fancy at a pretty reasonable price.

2. The ride quality after the up size is almost similar to the stock setup.
These rims should set you back 37k for a set of four.

Please tell me you've booked the TSI
Thank you for the info!
No I didn't book TSI , for now vento as I put family car needs first , 2nd in line by end of this year sometime could be TSI - pure personal car, for now I don't want my driver to loose his job
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:34   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I love the transition your Polo has been through, speed kills. The wheels look hot and subtle touches like the honeycomb grille and carbon fiber trim look fantabulous. Certainly one of the most tasteful Polos around!

I do have a few questions though.

What's the ride like on 16" wheels and 55 profile tyres? I'm sure that the grip levels have improved, but what about ride? And does the wheel-well have any problem accommodating the upsized wheels / tyres? What's the effect on the steering?
Thanks a lot Suhaas!

Rolling on 16's, I expected the ride quality to be harsh, but to my surprise it was almost similar to the stock set up.

The handling has significantly improved with the broader tires. The steering feels heavy (just the way I like it).

Regarding the wheel-well, the Polo 6R should be able to accommodate tires upto the 215/45/R17 profile.

The ground clearance has improved too, not that I'm a fan of it. I'm contemplating lowering the vehicle

Here's a reference pic
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-evolution.jpg  

Last edited by speed kills : 2nd May 2013 at 00:36.
speed kills is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 00:40   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
2nd in line by end of this year sometime could be TSI - pure personal car, for now I don't want my driver to loose his job
Haha! Good decision. Hopefully by then the TSI would under go a price correction too
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:08   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!

Hi speed kills,

Had seen your car in "Tastefully modified" section/thread but never knew it belonged to a BHPian

Good stuff

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd May 2013 at 11:11.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 12:38   #140
BHPian

Guy's, fish me out of this soup

I've ordered a set of H&R lowering springs (25/45mm) for my 1.6, but now I'm confused weather I should upsize to 17" VW Brooklyn's or stick with my current set of 16's.

Image Source : J & J Motorwerks
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-1236414_554991234561173_516011632_n.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-img1low.jpg  

speed kills is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 23:10   #141
Senior - BHPian

Honestly Prashanth, I think that your current setup looks Brilliant, not only aesthetically but also practically.

Of late, BBMP are on a "Moon walk Marathon" in Bangalore and seem to have decided to make the surface of the moon appear ironed out in comparison to our streets!! THE BIG DIG or something.

17" would probably be perfect for your Grey Hound, only if you have plans of exporting the steed to Singapore for daily use. LOL
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:36   #142
BHPian

Twenty nine months & 20,001 kms later, she's still the only reason I go to work for, well almost

The proverb, too much of anything is good for nothing has been proved wrong. I just can't get enough of this German.

A couple of upgrades in the past one month.
  • The highly recommended OEM VW Armrest
  • The not-so-practical H&R Sports springs

The next time you see a Grey Polo struggling to get over a Bangalore speedbreaker, it's probably me
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-dsc02990.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-dsc02989.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-dsc02956.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-dsc02961.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-dsc02965.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-img20130920wa0000.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-before-after.jpg  

Last edited by speed kills : 25th September 2013 at 13:05.
speed kills is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 12:59   #143
BANNED

Wow looks awesome mate!
This might sound foolish but is Polo 1.6 still being sold.
scarlet.fever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 13:14   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Wow looks awesome mate!
This might sound foolish but is Polo 1.6 still being sold.
Not anymore. Though you can find one in used car market. Mine might get listed in classified section soon.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:07   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Brand : TSW
Name : Nurburgring
Size : 17x8
Tyre : Apollo Aspire
Profile : 215/45

I thought I'd update this thread for you.

Anyways just came here to say that you have perhaps the best looking polo in the country. <3
HyperRetard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 20:58   #146
BANNED

hi sk,

no updates in a long time. well I'm getting my polo in a few days and looking to get the 205 55 15. only choice i have come across is kenda komet, hankook v8 rs and s drive. can you share a bit more about how and why you chose the kenda komet ?

how do they compare in grip, road noise, ride and comfort against the michelin and hankook ?

cheers.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 21:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
hi sk,

no updates in a long time. well I'm getting my polo in a few days and looking to get the 205 55 15. only choice i have come across is kenda komet, hankook v8 rs and s drive. can you share a bit more about how and why you chose the kenda komet ?

how do they compare in grip, road noise, ride and comfort against the michelin and hankook ?

cheers.
Congratulations Kirti on your purchase.

The Kenda Komet was a very good tyre. Barring one sidewall puncture (read soft sidewalls), I had absolutely no issues with the set.
The icing on the cake is gotta be the road noise (or the lack of it). Compared to the S Drives, these are very silent.

Of course, Kenda being an unknown brand here in India, I had to sell my 11,000 kms old tires for next to nothing while upgrading to 17's.

If you're looking for performance tires, the S Drive is a no brainer. For sedate city driving, the Kenda is a reasonable bet.

Speaking of upgrades, here are a couple of pics with the latest addition:
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-img_0403.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-img_0402.jpg  

Polo 1.6 : My Grey Hound!-img_0400.jpg  

speed kills is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 23:57   #148
BANNED

I like the style brother. I like the style :-) pls pm me source and price of tail lamps.

about the kenda. you said they were good for sedate driving in city.

but are you saying they aren't good/suitable for highways or for spirited driving ? can they handle what the gt tsi can put them through ?
Old 29th June 2014, 07:47   #149
BHPian

Wow. Just went through all the transformations your car underwent, and boy does she have character! Lovely mods. Love it to bits. Especially the whole understated German Grey tones running around the car. Goes really well with the look of the car!
Lovely engine too. Enjoy it to bits, I'm sure you already do!
Samar117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 16:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Speaking of upgrades, here are a couple of pics with the latest addition:
Prashanth I should not have met you today bro and seen your Polo. I think I might be breaking my promise which was 'not to even think of any mods on my GT' !!!

I had decided that I would not drive your Vento when we meet, but you caught me totally off guard with the Polo bro. I honestly feel that your's is one of the Best Looking Polo's in Bangalore.

Those Stunning Rims, Wide Rubber, Lowered Stance, Smoked out Headlights & Tail lights,... man I am just totally blown away bro.

I was so involved in looking at your car that I totally forgot to take our my DSLR lying on the back seat. I want to meet up again and want to take loads of snaps Prashanth, so lets plan one soon please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

about the kenda. you said they were good for sedate driving in city.

but are you saying they aren't good/suitable for highways or for spirited driving ? can they handle what the gt tsi can put them through ?
Hey rana_kirti I don't mean to barge into this thread and I am quite sure Prashanth has more experience & expertise on this, but just my 2 cents from the current setup on my GT TDI:

- Kenda Komets are not at bad or jugard. At the same time you cannot compare them with S-drives (for example). I have Kenda on my GT TDI with 205/55 R15 setup. Having driven 1000kms, I can safely say that they are amazingly silent and decently grippy.
- One USP ( I felt) of Kenda is that they appear larger than they really are. For example, when the Kenda 205/55 tyres were kept beside the Apolo's 225/40 (I guess) tyres by the tyre seller, they appeared almost similar in width.
- Kenda Komet is economical set of rubbers and not 'Cheap' ones. At 5300/- INR, they are only slightly lesser than the immediate competitor Yokohoma DB series.

I am definitely not promoting Kenda and neither am I encouraging you to buy one. Please decide what best suits your driving style and other important factors that you feel must not be compromised.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 29th June 2014 at 16:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks