Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:55   #1
BHPian

Chevy Beat Diesel is here!!!!

The buildup

It was around 2009 end the necessity of learning to drive and owning a car struck me,as i missed lots of opportunities of driving on t-bhp meets and with friends .Before that i was happy to be called as crazybiker46

The first criteria in choosing a car - Width of the car

My house is located at a tight spot where you have to reverse into a narrow road (width < 2m) and go about 50m in reverse , any hatchback bigger than say i10 will be tough on a daily basis

Bought an used Maruti 800 to learn the art of driving & reversing for myself,bro and dad

Wanted to buy a diesel as new car ,so Figo and Ritz where the primary options but failed on dimension test.

With no option for a small diesel car i had decided to go ahead with Hyundai i10

I was following Beat diesel through the forum but launch seems to be delayed and also pricing was uncertain.i had decided to give Beat D a try if pricing is around 5 lakhs

Finally Beat D got launched and pricing of LS suited my criteria.Took a TD and impression was far better than i expected (my feedback is in Beat D review thread)

Also brought the TD car home for dimension test and felt ok for doing it on a daily basis, will definitely need more practice & patience

Finalised on Beat D as this car is meant for my family (3 people will be using the car),if it had been solely for me i would have gone for i10

Booking

Negotiated on exchange value of my old car and got a decent price.Regarding discounts/freebies offered 3k or central locking only

Checked out if there is more freebies/discounts via friends and relatives as customers ,surprisingly all Sales exceutives approached were offering the same

Booked the car on August 13th ,pushed for further freebies and SE offered floormats,mud flap and 3M wax coating

Expected delivery date was 2 weeks

Car arrived on August 25th ,paid remaining amount with 5k in balance on same day. Did an inspection ,noted down VIN and Engine number

Registration happened next day , we wanted to take delivery on Eid so had to wait till 31st August

Delivery day

It was chaos as i said delivery time as 12PM to make things ready but i was planning to reach at 2PM only

So the SE whom i was dealing with made an appointment for TD with a customer on 2PM at a far place from dealership

So all delivery process was done by couple of other guys and with T-bhp PDI checklist on hand i was running all over the dealership to cross check everything

And the final price came nearly 1k less than the price quoted by dealer 5,15,538 on booking with central locking,floormats,mudflap,3M wax coating

Evrything went fine except for tyre pressure (was low) and i inisisted on wiping the car once again as i found dust accumlations at some places (was done by 3M guys)

Chevy Beat Diesel is here!!!!-pic1.jpg

Chevy Beat Diesel is here!!!!-pic2.jpg

Chevy Beat Diesel is here!!!!-pic3.jpg

After the key hand over it started raining and we drove out with 5 people on board

Initial review

With 5 people on board i had to adjust gear shifting as car was moving at snail's pace when i shifted outside turbo range

Intelligent launch support support system - Car was able to move effortlessly on gradients with half clutch

Suspension and steering are very good so far

Braking - I think it could have been better,had a scare when an autorickshaw jumped in from nowhere .On braking i'm always low on confidence
,i break early and it was raining,may be due to that

Haven't taken car for a good drive even in city till now as its raining like hell here,planning for a madurai trip to drop cousin after Onam holidays

Hope i have covered all points i intended ,will update if anything i missed pops up in mind

Pics of car at decision making road

Chevy Beat Diesel is here!!!!-pic4.jpg

Chevy Beat Diesel is here!!!!-pic5.jpg
crazybiker46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevy Beat D is here!!!!

Congratulations.
Not only the width but also the small turning radius of Beat will be of great help to you. But the real visibility is a problem. Do you have any plans for reverse cameras?
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:21   #3
BHPian

Congratulations for the Beat D. The narrow lane must have given you good reversing practice.
The color looks good on the Chevy. BTW, What was the final OTR in Kerala? And FE updates, if any would also be appreciated.
Happy mile crunching.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Chevy Beat diesel.

I guess this one is a first on team-bhp. Please do keep the thread updated regularly.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:50   #5
BHPian

This is the first time I am seeing a beat in grey color and it looks splendid. I now think that this is the best option for beat. Congrats on your buy and an excellent choice of color.

I can see another car behind your beat in the last pic. I guess when the car behind needs to go out, the other car must come out. So double work. Be extremely cautious while reversing into your parking lot.

That said, congrats on your buy once again and hope you get many miles of hassle free ownership from the beat.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! Beautiful choice of colour da.

I'm coming to trivandrum tomorrow. Will meet up if you are free any day. Done with ICE?

How good is the test drive provided by Deedi motors? Will they bring the car to peroorkada for checking the 'width'? Sadly, its a limitation for me too.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd September 2011 at 21:05.
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:04   #7
BHPian

Congrats on the beat-D. The car looks even better in grey. Given the space constraints I think you made a very sensible decision. I think a reverse camera especially at night should be a must.

Now Beat it
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. It looks awesome in grey.
I think its too early to ask about FE. Please update the same once its calculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
With 5 people on board i had to adjust gear shifting as car was moving at snail's pace when i shifted outside turbo range
Its common in turbo diesel engines. Its useless to floor the pedal outside turbo range as you won't notice any change in increase in acceleration. Give a slow, gradual acceleration which will easily take you into the turbo range. At what rpm does the turbo spools in?

Please post some interior pics.

Have more happy miles with it and drive safely.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:15   #9
BHPian

Thank you all

Glad everyone liked the colour,i always had a liking for Sandrift grey when it comes to Chevy,my colleague has a sandrift grey Optra magnum which looks nice on that colour,so had no second thoughts on deciding colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Congratulations.
Not only the width but also the small turning radius of Beat will be of great help to you. But the real visibility is a problem. Do you have any plans for reverse cameras?
I forgot to mention about turning radius,its very much useful while entering and leaving the lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congratulations for the Beat D. The narrow lane must have given you good reversing practice.
The color looks good on the Chevy. BTW, What was the final OTR in Kerala? And FE updates, if any would also be appreciated.
Happy mile crunching.
Yes ofcourse,today i did reversing on heavy rain with tinted glasses rolled up and minimal visibilty,took 5 mins

My car's final OTR price is 5,14,635 and quoted price was 5,15,538

FE updates ,only done 80km so far thanks to work and rain,will update after a good drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations on your Chevy Beat diesel.

I guess this one is a first on team-bhp. Please do keep the thread updated regularly.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Mine is the second Beat D and first LS,bhpian fangface is the first ,LT(O) i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
This is the first time I am seeing a beat in grey color and it looks splendid. I now think that this is the best option for beat. Congrats on your buy and an excellent choice of color.

I can see another car behind your beat in the last pic. I guess when the car behind needs to go out, the other car must come out. So double work. Be extremely cautious while reversing into your parking lot.

That said, congrats on your buy once again and hope you get many miles of hassle free ownership from the beat.
My car is parked inside the gate in pic,so won't be a problem always

And its me who have instilled confidence on my neighbors that its possible to use a car on a daily basis living there and its result is the maruti 800 in covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats! Beautiful choice of colour da.

I'm coming to trivandrum tomorrow. Will meet up if you are free any day. Done with ICE?

How good is the test drive provided by Deedi motors? Will they bring the car to peroorkada for checking the 'width'? Sadly, its a limitation for me too.
Sure aliya,the chevy people will come to any place you would like

ICE is getting confused,as discussed over phone lets meet on monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats on the beat-D. The car looks even better in grey. Given the space constraints I think you made a very sensible decision. I think a reverse camera especially at night should be a must.

Now Beat it
Reverse camera is an option i'm looking forward to future,haven't tried reversing in night ,but i have done in heavy rain with minimal visibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Congratulations. It looks awesome in grey.
I think its too early to ask about FE. Please update the same once its calculated.

Its common in turbo diesel engines. Its useless to floor the pedal outside turbo range as you won't notice any change in increase in acceleration. Give a slow, gradual acceleration which will easily take you into the turbo range. At what rpm does the turbo spools in?

Please post some interior pics.

Have more happy miles with it and drive safely.
i mentioned pace by comparing to swift's lag

Turbo kicks in at 1750 rpm,but i was giving feathery treatment to accelerator pedal being the first drive,so was always falling behind turbo range initially

Will post interior pics soon
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:35   #10
BHPian

@crazybiker46,

Very good buy of an excellent car-buddy. Congrats.

Your car looks every inch a stunner in that glorious grey colour. And it is a diesel-God sent.

Would like to see her sans the ceremonial dress(ribbons etc). And also her internal virtues.Hope you will oblige in the next posts and publish those coveted snaps.

Did you find her more spacious than the i10? How is the ride in comparison with i10? What upgrades are you planning?

I wish you all the best with the car and have a great driving experience. And drive safe and sound in those tight spots. Do update your thread regularly.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:38   #11
BHPian

Congratulations crazybiker46.
It seems yours is the first Beat D ownership review.
Whish you a safe and exciting driving experience with your BeatD.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:42   #12
BHPian

That is one narrow stretch of road! You seriously reverse the stretch every day? Of all the apsects of driving I hate reversing the most. Please post some pics of the interiors - especially the centre console and the steering. You mentioned that while driving out of the showroom you had 5 people on-board - Any issues with GC while going over speed breakers?
Old 4th September 2011, 05:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, that's a nice color. Do post some pictures of internals as well.

We all have unique requirements and it was interesting to see even a more unique requirement from you regarding the size of the car. You are bound by the size of the lane. Someone in our apartment had similar constraint, he had a very narrow and tight parking space and hence had to choose Alto over everything else.

Is there a way out at least in future? With this it would be impossible for you to own a bigger car sometime in future.
Old 4th September 2011, 07:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your Chevy Beat crazybiker46. Though I am a little late to your party, I can't stop telling wat others have already said. The Beat looks splendid in that grey color. Glued to your ownership thread as of now as a couple of my friends are waiting to get one after the initial reviews are out. Do keep us posted on all aspects of the car including its actual fuel-efficiency, power output, etc. And a lot of pics too!!
Old 4th September 2011, 08:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Wish you a great ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks