Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011

So it finally reached home. Thanks to the two holidays last week the car was lying at the yard, I did a quick pdi and had the car registered on Firday.

Why the Swift?

I have been a great swift fan right from the Pre gen,somehow I was not able to lay my hands on one then.
The hatch market is hot now and there were various manufacturers to choose from.
Honda was out from the list- its never been my favourites, thanks to their pricing and I was saved as the City that retails today for lakhs lesser was my bet over the Xylo in 2009. Guys, this is just my personal opinion.

I had it waiting for the Swift and I was not going to wait again for the Liva D. They should have rolled out the Diesel too.

Hyundai was in and out soon. I love the i20 in its current form, however news of 2012 facelift made me opt out.

Fiat, well having owned two Palio GTX's in the past, I opted out. Not because of the cars, but you know better. SAD, if only...

These were my only manufacturer options and I chose to stick to Maruti for the main reason why more than half the country choose too. Leaving aside the fact that the previous gen swift ddis was storm to drive,
service network and resale being my bang points.

Why the Zdi?

Airbags, ABS. Vdi did not have an option even for both.

Goodies offered on the high end seemed fit for me to upgrade from my initial booking of the Vdi to Zdi.

The Design.

Some like it, some hate it. I hate it.
The old swift was angry, this smiles, all thanks to the overall design in the front.
Park the old gen swift alongside the new one and its even worse, the old swift has an amazing backside, except for the fact that i love the ANSS rear lights.
The only angle it appeals to me is the side. This is just plain, yet one thing that's very evident is that they have tried to retain the swift image and tried to give it a more faster image. everything from the design to the wheels shout out like the cars ready to go.
Maybe after seeing it for a while, which I intend to do for a long time will make me like it.

The Interiors.

I absolutely love it. Its neat and well placed. I love the black theme and its just placed right. The finish is not too glossy and cheap. Forgive me if I am exaggerating, yet it feels very European.
The seats have height adjustment and unlike some cars, you needn't rise your lower part and amuse people seated inside to rise and lower the seat. Pull up for up and push down for down. Simple, just the way I like it.
Steering adjustment knobs a bit too tight. However its just going to stay in one position, so cool. I love the way the steering feels and the steering mounted controls do not hamper your grip whilst driving, Horns placed right too, again it might vary across people, hand size and all.
Mounted controls have mode, mute, volume and track change switch.
Air con vents look strong and bold and the cup holder below the passenger vent is a welcome feature. Just held a 300ml bottle tight on the drive.
The air con systems pretty simple to use and has a separate switch for defogging the rear.
The stalks are pretty strong and can take abuse.
The music system is one hell of a thing. Firstly its very appealing to look at at many think its a video screen. Secondly, the simple single color throw it does is not jarring. Most importantly, the bass output is just lovely. Trust me, it sounds like a two channel amps connected a mini sub. Yes, it has a individual remote too.
The seat fabric is simple, maybe a bit too simple, but I'm going to change it, so no cribbin.
The door feels heavy and the cubby holes on them cant hold a decent large phone in the market today, yet the center console has really deep holes which is good.
The best and only retained feature from the old swift is the gear knob, fantastic to hold and slot. My favourite.
Pictures will be of no help to you guys, the feel of the interior is a must before you decide to buy as many people prefer beige and wood, but I love the black finish. No beige and wood anywhere, so feel it before you buy as its where you will see your car the most.

The drive.

Not much of a difference from the old swift in the engine department. It just does the job and I'm not pushing it as of now. I feel the suspension is better than the previous model and the car feels planted and taking corners are just plain awesome. A few mods later on, better rubber a box will make it a storm to drive, thats for sure. Maybe a few more miles and I can plan better and write better.

Pictures to follow soon and will update after I use the car for a longer period of time.

Last edited by beejay : 5th September 2011 at 18:53.
beejay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Swift ZDI- 2011.

A few pictures.
A few observations

One thing that's annoying is the lack of back light for the power window switches. Its literally groping in the dark.
Only the driver side auto window has back light, none of the other switches on all doors have any.

There are three lights in the boot, two near the lock just to illuminate the neat boot hole to pull the open boot shut and one in the loading area.
The lights near the lock illuminate when the park lights are on, the single light in the boor area has a switch to turn on when needed.

The music system has the voume controls on the right hand side, which is easy for the driver to use.

The air con temp switch is a bit too flimsy and will take time foe loose fingers to adjust too.
Attached Thumbnails
My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011082.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011083.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011084.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011085.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011086.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011087.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011088.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011090.jpg  

beejay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wish list as of now.

Would have loved had the key been fold-able, yet I'm glad at least the switches are on the key than separate.

Would have preferred a embedded antenna than the one on the roof.

And a few more pictures,

If you watch closely in this set of pictures the glove box drops down full which is good, however its at an odd angle which looks like its broken and reveals the wiring behind.
Attached Thumbnails
My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011091.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011092.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011094.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011095.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011096.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011097.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011098.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011099.jpg  

My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011-06092011100.jpg  

beejay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports. Thanks for sharing.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:59   #5
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you dude. Awesome colour. Wish it did not come with such a long waiting period.. only wish
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:02   #6
BHPian

Beejay,

Congrats on your new Swift.
We need some outdoor pictures of the car to do it full justice.

I was waiting for Racer_X review as he had got delivery of his car on wednesday but looks like he is too busy with it now.

Enjoy and drive safe.

Cheers
BheemBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:07   #7
BHPian

Congrats Beejay!!

No doubt, the swift is an awesome car. Absolute value for money without compromising on the fun to drive factor.
I hope they have done something about the rattles though.

Happy mile crunching!
XLR8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Have a blast with the ANSS.
Do keep this thread updated with your experience.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:14   #9
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. Good choice, keeping in mind that its a brand new design and Maruti will not change the same for another 10 years! I am sure quite a few heads will turn when you drive. Enjoy the attention.

Regarding the glove box, something is surely wrong with it. Suggest you to get it checked with your A.S.S.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats beejay! Terrific choice of car and I for one I like the looks of the new Swift, even if it is subjective in nature. Looking forward to seeing more pictures
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hey congratulations on the new Swift!

The glove box indeed is odd; have it checked. Else, it is terrible design.

That Auto button in the centre console is ACC, right? So, is the temp. adjusted with the rolling temp. knob?

What do you find diff. in this Swift vis a vis the old one - design and looks wise? Agree, the back isn't very good to look at.

Talk about groping the power window switches - even the ANHC has a backlight only for driver window switch!

Anywho, post more pics please.

Have a great ownership period!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:39   #12
BHPian

Really neat set of wheels. I have been drooling for one since the first teasers came out.

I completely agree that the interiors, especially on the dashboard - are much more appealing then the exterior design. But neverthless, IMO it is a perfect package.

How much was the overall damage to your pocket ?

The old VDi was in the 6 Lakh range in Bengaluru right, how much is this one for on road ?
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the all new swift so soon!

I am surprised to know that VDi doesn't comes with ABS while previous gen used to have it as option.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 10:49   #14
BHPian

Congrats on your new drive.

A few Questions for you.

1. How is the A/C performance compared to other Cars in segment(I don't think it comes with rear A/C Vents)?
2. I heard the old swift use to scrap its under-body in bumps. How different is new Swift?
ashok_lat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 11:02   #15
BHPian

Re: My Suzuki Swift ZDI - 2011

Congrats beejay,
WOW !!! Swift looks stunning in white.
More exterior pictures please. Review says driver seat in new swift has better bolstering compare to older one. Whats your observation?
Raosaheb Desai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks