Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 12:02   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed

I get 9 to 10kmpl in the Pune traffic...on highways, I get 11 to 12 kmpl if I drive freely (you know what I mean!). Once, I drove at steady 90 to 110kmph from Pune to panvel and got around 16 kmpl, but that was a very very boring drive :-(

Abhi seems to have specially tuned ECu :-)

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:25   #77
BHPian

re: My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushSRV View Post
Hi abhi, I've gone through your report several times and have finally decided to go for this beast.
The pleasure of driving this car was way better than than of the vento or optra diesels.
The only thing I'm skeptic about is, that of all the owners(as per their respective reviews), only you manage to get such high fuel economy figures.
Could it be a problem in your MID? Or are all the other owners really pushing their cars too bad?
Although I've already booked the vehicle, hearing something positive about the fuel figures would please me more.

Thanx
ayush
Sorry about the delay, I just saw this.

Nooo, it's probably not my ECU, I think I just drive better.

Yesterday I got 5.8l/100km from CommerZone Yerwada to my home in Wanowrie (Exactly 10kms) while coming back at about 9:15 pm. It went down to 5.6l/100kms in between but climbed up as I neared Wanowrie. Ultra light foot I must say. Very very ultra light. Okay traffic on the road, not much.

Fuel efficiency isn't an issue. Just buy it. Yeah 12-13 in city in traffic and 16+at highway. That's pretty much what I get average when I drive normally in. I do other drives also in regular traffic at peak times where it shows 8l/100kms also which I don't post cause there is nothing to post in those. So it's not my troubled ECU. Though the consumption never goes higher than 8l/100kms. Very rare in my opinion.

When you getting delivery of your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Congrats Ayush! It indeed is a wonderful machine. I'm unsure what mileage abhi has posted, but I can share my experience. I manage to extract between 11 -12 kmpl in city and between 15 -16 kmpl on highways (cruising speeds of around 110kmph with occasional busts). Of course it takes a gentle foot to extract such mileage.

Enjoy!
C'mon, you guys are in Delhi, you guys should get more mileage. I live in a village comparatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I get 9 to 10kmpl in the Pune traffic...on highways, I get 11 to 12 kmpl if I drive freely (you know what I mean!). Once, I drove at steady 90 to 110kmph from Pune to panvel and got around 16 kmpl, but that was a very very boring drive :-(

Abhi seems to have specially tuned ECu :-)

Cheers!
Yeah it's my ECU, not my cars

Last edited by abhi1309 : 23rd March 2012 at 16:33.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:12   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Sorry about the delay, I just saw this.

Nooo, it's probably not my ECU, I think I just drive better.
I am quite amazed at the FE figures you have been managing, that too within the city. Even when the traffic is very sparse, like on Sundays and holidays, I rarely manage anything below 8.00l/100kms. No matter how light my foot is! What is your secret? Is there a some kind of technique or pattern that you follow? Do you shift up early or do you drive at constant speeds? Or is it that the road you travel frequently on is some kind of a signal free expressway? Once on the highway, I reset the MID to zero, and drove for about 10 kms at a constant 80 kph in 6th gear. THat was the only time I saw something like 5.5l/100kms.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:24   #79
BHPian

Quote:
C'mon, you guys are in Delhi, you guys should get more mileage. I live in a village comparatively.
Hey Abhi! I'm in Gurgaon and I'd lived in Pune for 5 years till early 2011 and was a witness to positive changes in road quality over the years. Believe me, Pune's roads feel like expressways when compared with Gurgaon's!
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am quite amazed at the FE figures you have been managing, that too within the city. Even when the traffic is very sparse, like on Sundays and holidays, I rarely manage anything below 8.00l/100kms. No matter how light my foot is! What is your secret? Is there a some kind of technique or pattern that you follow? Do you shift up early or do you drive at constant speeds? Or is it that the road you travel frequently on is some kind of a signal free expressway? Once on the highway, I reset the MID to zero, and drove for about 10 kms at a constant 80 kph in 6th gear. THat was the only time I saw something like 5.5l/100kms.
Nothing actually, I just shift up way to early. It's like the car is just comfortable maintaining that speed at that gear. No knocking though. I am at 45 I believe on 6th and I rarely go above 50 in the city. I also majorly anticipate stops and traffic obstructions. So I don't mostly end up braking hard, not even mildly hard (which most of us would consider normal braking actually). Red lights I usually switch off depending on the seconds it shows. Anything above 60 and I switch it off. That's all. You will get the hang of it in a day once you start doing it. 8L/100 kms is something I have seen only once or twice in 6 months.

I actually enjoying driving like that in the city. Car stays safe, fuel and brakes do too. And I can barely exceed 45 anyway in the city, parts where I travel at least so why not just go constant and keep following a 45kmph car instead of overtaking it. There is a lot of rickshaw and two wheeler traffic and cars are ofcourse there. Typical old school roads where I drive, mostly in the center of the city. No expressway etc whatsoever. And yeah 5 Signals I pass in 10 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hey Abhi! I'm in Gurgaon and I'd lived in Pune for 5 years till early 2011 and was a witness to positive changes in road quality over the years. Believe me, Pune's roads feel like expressways when compared with Gurgaon's!
Yeah, pot holes are almost nil. That way, Pune roads are awesome. What I meant was, the roads are smaller and traffic denser and full of bikes and rickshaws. Gurgaon must be wider roads and faster car traffic right.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 23rd March 2012 at 18:51.
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurgaon must be wider roads and faster car traffic right.

Gurgaon roads are what you will call an inch perfect replica of moon craters! Its just that when you see an expensive exotic driving next to you on the same road, you just manage to fool your own heart about the ache your own car goes through!

BTW, a bit late but congrats on the car! The car is a gem I am sure.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:00   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nothing actually, I just shift up way to early. It's like the car is just comfortable maintaining that speed at that gear. No knocking though. I am at 45 I believe on 6th and I rarely go above 50 in the city. I also majorly anticipate stops and traffic obstructions. So I don't mostly end up braking hard, not even mildly hard (which most of us would consider normal braking actually). Red lights I usually switch off depending on the seconds it shows. Anything above 60 and I switch it off. That's all. You will get the hang of it in a day once you start doing it. 8L/100 kms is something I have seen only once or twice in 6 months.
No wonder. I can't drive like this. I just like the turbo push too much. Drove to Pune a few days ago and I managed 9.4l/100km which is just about ok.

But kudos to you. But do be careful about the turbo since you are supposed to idle before switching off.
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No wonder. I can't drive like this. I just like the turbo push too much. Drove to Pune a few days ago and I managed 9.4l/100km which is just about ok.

But kudos to you. But do be careful about the turbo since you are supposed to idle before switching off.
Yeah it's addictive for sure. But there are special places for turbo boost not the whole drive. No point, the car is way to powerful for driving with boost all the time in regular puneri traffic, what do you think? So I wait for it and punch it at the right place Personality trait probably..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

Gurgaon roads are what you will call an inch perfect replica of moon craters! Its just that when you see an expensive exotic driving next to you on the same road, you just manage to fool your own heart about the ache your own car goes through!

BTW, a bit late but congrats on the car! The car is a gem I am sure.
Heheh Thanks.
Old 24th March 2012, 00:11   #84

Thanks abhi and bloodred, but the sad news is that we cancelled it 2 days after booking it :(
Our budget range was Rs. 5-18 lacs initially, and the best car to drive was/is the Laura TSi within this bracket. And the best part was that Dad loved the car, too.
The mileage really wasn't an issue, but my grandfather asked (actually, ordered) us to go for a hatch, AGAIN!, because to him cars are depreciating liabilities.
So, we had to cancel it ( Dad doesn't argue with grandpa and I don't argue with dad).

So we've bought yet another hatchback - Renault Pulse RxZ.

So my garage, now, has 5 hatches! -
Optra Srv
i20 Petrol
Pulse
i10
Santro.

I'll write an ownership review as soon as I get time from college.
Although I'm pretty happy with Pulse's engine, I still miss the TSi motor.
Btw, the cancellation was really heart-wrecking.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:22   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushSRV View Post
Our budget range was Rs. 5-18 lacs initially, and the best car to drive was/is the Laura TSi within this bracket. And the best part was that Dad loved the car, too.

So we've bought yet another hatchback - Renault Pulse RxZ.

I don't think I've seen anyone with such a wide budget range for buying a car!

From Laura TSI to a Renault Pulse! Man! if I were you, I'd be in depression for a whole year. On a side note, the Laura TSI is technically a hatch too

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 24th March 2012 at 08:23.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:27   #86

Quote:
I don't think I've seen anyone with such a wide budget range for buying a car!

From Laura TSI to a Renault Pulse! Man! if I were you, I'd be in depression for a whole year. On a side note, the Laura TSI is technically a hatch too
haha. You bet. I really am super depressed. Can't get over it.

We wanted a replacement for our aging Esteem, so a smaller car does the job, too. ( I know, I'm just consoling myself ).
And Santosh Bhai, you shouldn't be sprinkling salt on my wounds

Laura is technically a Notchback AFAIK.
Still dream about it.
If only grandpa knew the pleasure of driving...

PS: grandpa prefers to be driven in i10, rather than in any other car from the list.

So next up - Fiat Bravo and then Porsche Panamera
Old 31st March 2012, 22:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

What an awesome thread!!! if I do buy a Laura petrol, its surely this thread the deserves the credit.. Do keep regularly updating as you have been - lot of us are eagerly waiting
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
What an awesome thread!!! if I do buy a Laura petrol, its surely this thread the deserves the credit.. Do keep regularly updating as you have been - lot of us are eagerly waiting
Thanks

Another Update:

Got Leather done last week, here are a few snaps. Pure Leather (Not Napa, Not composite) from Europa Auto itself.

Chose a little darker shade than default level of beige. Just a bit darker. Not too much. You can notice the difference on the door inserts.

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120403_180315.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120403_180322.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120403_180332.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120403_180352.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120403_180407.jpg

Last edited by abhi1309 : 3rd April 2012 at 18:34.
abhi1309 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:41   #89
BHPian

More mileage figures, regular weekday, reached office at about 10:40am odd, it's there on the snap.

10kms trip
29mins
6.5L/100kms

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120329_104926.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120329_104935.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-20120329_104945.jpg

Let me know once you all are bored of the mileage readings.

Let's talk about the leather then.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 3rd April 2012 at 18:43.
Old 8th April 2012, 19:53   #90
BHPian

Okay Lavasa and back today - A/C on 120% of the time basically. Stopped a lot, kept a/c on while buying stuff for long times, drove with an okay foot, not light. Got 7.7L/100 :(

And the infamous low oil light came up on Friday. Got 2 litres of shell helix ultra 5W40. Leve l was at Min. Filled up 1.5 Litres, it's on Max now.

Note: Got my low oil light warning after driving 8000kms

Last edited by abhi1309 : 8th April 2012 at 19:59.
abhi1309 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks