Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 13:05   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Okay Lavasa and back today - A/C on 120% of the time basically. Stopped a lot, kept a/c on while buying stuff for long times, drove with an okay foot, not light. Got 7.7L/100 :(

And the infamous low oil light came up on Friday. Got 2 litres of shell helix ultra 5W40. Leve l was at Min. Filled up 1.5 Litres, it's on Max now.

Note: Got my low oil light warning after driving 8000kms
THose are amazing FE figures. Which petrol engine can produce 160 hp and 25 kgm of torque and still be so efficient? That's the speciality of this engine. Power without sacrificing efficiency.

Oil consumption is normal. I topped up 1 litre at 3,000kms and 1 litre at 8,000 kms. Of course I kept an eye on the oil levels and dit not wait for the low level light to come on. After that oil level was pretty much constant right upto 15,000 kms when oil was replaced at first service. They have filled Castrol SLX professional during serivce. Somehow I find Shell Helix ultra was better. After the oil change I observe that the engine fan remains on for a longer time after switching off. Is it a sign that the engine is getting heated more? The temp guage of course is within range. But I have observed that the fan stays on for a longer duration even after short drives. It could also be the summer effect, can't say.
Old 9th April 2012, 15:51   #92
BHPian

re: My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
THose are amazing FE figures. Which petrol engine can produce 160 hp and 25 kgm of torque and still be so efficient? That's the speciality of this engine. Power without sacrificing efficiency.

Oil consumption is normal. I topped up 1 litre at 3,000kms and 1 litre at 8,000 kms. Of course I kept an eye on the oil levels and dit not wait for the low level light to come on. After that oil level was pretty much constant right upto 15,000 kms when oil was replaced at first service. They have filled Castrol SLX professional during serivce. Somehow I find Shell Helix ultra was better. After the oil change I observe that the engine fan remains on for a longer time after switching off. Is it a sign that the engine is getting heated more? The temp guage of course is within range. But I have observed that the fan stays on for a longer duration even after short drives. It could also be the summer effect, can't say.

I think it's just the summer effect.

Btw I am feeling totally bad about not checking the dip stick every now and then and waited for the oil light to come on and then topped it up. This is not good. I should have topped it up earlier. Hope this doesn't affect the engine in the long run though I drove it just about 3-4 kms after the low oil level indicator before topping it up to MAX

Btw the FE was on regular petrol. This was the first time I did not fill up Speed/Power.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 9th April 2012 at 15:52.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:27   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it's just the summer effect.

Btw I am feeling totally bad about not checking the dip stick every now and then and waited for the oil light to come on and then topped it up. This is not good. I should have topped it up earlier. Hope this doesn't affect the engine in the long run though I drove it just about 3-4 kms after the low oil level indicator before topping it up to MAX

Btw the FE was on regular petrol. This was the first time I did not fill up Speed/Power.
Since you drove for 3-4 kms only, I don't think there should be any harm done.

I have been running on Shell regular unleaded most of the time. I am considering getting a tankul of speed 97 next. THis beast may relish the higher octane stuff.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:10   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Since you drove for 3-4 kms only, I don't think there should be any harm done.

I have been running on Shell regular unleaded most of the time. I am considering getting a tankul of speed 97 next. THis beast may relish the higher octane stuff.
Yeah but I didn't find any difference when I put regular the first time. Nothing at all. Try and let me know. Think Speed 97 is waay too expensive to drive the TSi with. How much is it?
Old 10th April 2012, 18:04   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but I didn't find any difference when I put regular the first time. Nothing at all. Try and let me know. Think Speed 97 is waay too expensive to drive the TSi with. How much is it?
Octane ratings of regular unleaded and Speed/power is the same i.e 91 RON which is why wouldn't have felt any difference. Speed 97 as the name suggests has an octane rating of 97. Price of Shell unleaded has crossed the 80 rupees barrier here in Bangalore. When I last checked Speed 97 was selling at 86/litre. THe reduced price gap has tempted me to try Speed 97 for the next tank up.
Old 12th April 2012, 21:13   #96
BHPian

Oh man terrific review, congrats on the new buy(oops I know its now a bit late). After going through this thread an itch has started in me for a Laura tsi.
- How much did you pay for the leather seats?
cosmopolitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 10:11   #97
BHPian

This is for all the mileage junkies.

After 8,000 kms on my TSI, the itch to try and extract the best mileage hit me yesterday morning. Tanked up and drove 77 kms early morning on a route that had very little traffic and super smooth roads. Managed 5.1litres/100km with average speed of 52 km/hr. The MID showed 910 kms of range left. I normally allow the engine to run idle for a minute before I turn off. Just when I'd stopped, the MID showed 5 litres/100 kms, which is 20 kmpl . Never thought it would be possible over an extended drive.

The factors which contributed to the above mileage were:
a) Lack of traffic; it being early morning (7am)
b) Excellent road conditions
c) Speed maintained at around 80 kmph
d) While leaving Chandigarh, anticipated the traffic lights to minimize stoppage (gliding before hitting the signal to ensure that it's green when I reach there)
e) Used only air circulation as yesterday morning was very pleasant

I'd call above the "test conditions". The car had two adults and a child with couple of moderate weighing duffle bags.

On my way back, I was driving alone and took another route (mix of NH1 and a 2 lane state highway). Drove around 80-90 kmph on a light foot, with intermittent busts to beat traffic (moderate), overtaking and a pedal to the floor bust to reach very high speeds. The a/c was on all this while. The car returned 6.1 litres/100 kms, which is still awesome.

While I'm unlikely to drive in the abovementioned way as a routine, yesterday's test run did reinforce my respect for the gem of an engine that the car carries.

P.S.: Akshy, apologies for highjacking your thread but I see most mileage queries and responses here.

Last edited by bloodred : 16th April 2012 at 10:14.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 14:48   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
This is for all the mileage junkies.

After 8,000 kms on my TSI, the itch to try and extract the best mileage hit me yesterday morning. Tanked up and drove 77 kms early morning on a route that had very little traffic and super smooth roads. Managed 5.1litres/100km with average speed of 52 km/hr. The MID showed 910 kms of range left. I normally allow the engine to run idle for a minute before I turn off. Just when I'd stopped, the MID showed 5 litres/100 kms, which is 20 kmpl . Never thought it would be possible over an extended drive.

The factors which contributed to the above mileage were:
a) Lack of traffic; it being early morning (7am)
b) Excellent road conditions
c) Speed maintained at around 80 kmph
d) While leaving Chandigarh, anticipated the traffic lights to minimize stoppage (gliding before hitting the signal to ensure that it's green when I reach there)
e) Used only air circulation as yesterday morning was very pleasant

I'd call above the "test conditions". The car had two adults and a child with couple of moderate weighing duffle bags.

On my way back, I was driving alone and took another route (mix of NH1 and a 2 lane state highway). Drove around 80-90 kmph on a light foot, with intermittent busts to beat traffic (moderate), overtaking and a pedal to the floor bust to reach very high speeds. The a/c was on all this while. The car returned 6.1 litres/100 kms, which is still awesome.

While I'm unlikely to drive in the abovementioned way as a routine, yesterday's test run did reinforce my respect for the gem of an engine that the car carries.

P.S.: Akshy, apologies for highjacking your thread but I see most mileage queries and responses here.
Whoa I totally know what you mean. I can relate to every word. Mileage figures are awesome. It's like a little game one ends up playing with the TSI every time. I have done this numerous times.

Btw just got back from Goa. While going I got 5.9L/100 and coming back with 6.7L/100. No light foot whatsoever. Coming back was in maddening traffic btw.

BTW 5L/100kms is awesome, don't think I have managed that ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
Oh man terrific review, congrats on the new buy(oops I know its now a bit late). After going through this thread an itch has started in me for a Laura tsi.
- How much did you pay for the leather seats?
Thanks, yeah if you are looking for something fun, go ahead. You got enough info on this thread about the mileage too.
abhi1309 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 15:44   #99
BHPian

NEW 17"LENSO's added yesterday

225/45 R17 Bridgestone's

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-img_20120507_180152-1.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-img_20120507_180210.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-img_20120507_180326.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-img_20120507_180413.jpg

Changed the Front Grill to the carbon fibre look and the side strips as well.
abhi1309 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 16:28   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Abhi, congratulations on your new Laura. White looks best in all premium cars.

The alloys look good but, i honestly feel the red rim outline is not going too well. Instead a black color rim would look swell.

Btw, the front carbon fibre grille looks awesome
Old 8th May 2012, 17:21   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Abhi, congratulations on your new Laura. White looks best in all premium cars.

The alloys look good but, i honestly feel the red rim outline is not going too well. Instead a black color rim would look swell.

Btw, the front carbon fibre grille looks awesome
Yeah, couldn't get anything without the red outline. My fiesta had black alloys so I wanted something different. They look better in flesh, the Dell Streak camera not doing justice to the looks basically.

Fibre grill was top priority actually, got it done much before I got the alloys etc. The site door strip is also similarly finished.

MODS: Can you change the title of the thread to something more apt. Like UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed Pics Pg 7. Thanks.

I will click some better ones with my wife's Xperia S and post them.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 8th May 2012 at 17:26.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:50   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's instal

The alloys and wheels do change the character of the car from the 'Executive' look to the sporty look.

Do update the thread with the change you feel in terms of ride and handling with the new wheels and tyres. Your FE may drop a bit with the wider tyres.

Somehow the carbon fibre strips and grill surround are not adding up. Maybe you could think of painting them white. I read an article in last months ACI where they had featured peted Laura RSs and they had painted the grill surrounds the same colour as the body paint. Looked swell.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:55   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's instal

Congrats on the alloys. Is there any perceptible difference in the ride and handling after the upsize? Hows the tyre noise with the Bridgestones?

Regarding the CF grill/skirts, I agree with Santosh

Last time I met Pete, he showed me a couple of Lauras where the chrome portion of the grill is body colored. It looked awesome especially when you change the stock grill to the honeycomb grill.
Old 4th June 2012, 11:34   #104
BHPian

Okay here goes. Proper Pics after a wash..

Removed the Black from the grill though it stays on the side door strips:

So this is before removal:

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0023.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0024.jpg

Rest of the car:

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0025.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0026.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0027.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0028.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0029.jpg

This is back to the chrome grill. It sure goes better with the silvery headlights since they are not smoked out etc. Black grill wasn't going well with them. I was never a fan of premium looking cars, just like them sporty and fun. Not sure if a lip spoiler will add to the fun..

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0030.jpg

My new Skoda Laura 1.8TSi. An upgrade from Fiesta. UPDATE: New 17" Lenso's installed-imag0031.jpg

Wheels are 225/45 R17 and it still looks under tired

Quote:
The alloys and wheels do change the character of the car from the 'Executive' look to the sporty look.

Do update the thread with the change you feel in terms of ride and handling with the new wheels and tyres. Your FE may drop a bit with the wider tyres.

Somehow the carbon fibre strips and grill surround are not adding up. Maybe you could think of painting them white. I read an article in last months ACI where they had featured peted Laura RSs and they had painted the grill surrounds the same colour as the body paint. Looked swell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Congrats on the alloys. Is there any perceptible difference in the ride and handling after the upsize? Hows the tyre noise with the Bridgestones?

Regarding the CF grill/skirts, I agree with Santosh

Last time I met Pete, he showed me a couple of Lauras where the chrome portion of the grill is body colored. It looked awesome especially when you change the stock grill to the honeycomb grill.
The ride is about 20% harder but I need to try this with Nitrogen since my stock ones were filled with Nitrogen and that had made the ride softer. The rubber felt a bit noisy in the beginning but you wouldn't notice after a couple of days. Steering wheel is heavier and more connected to the road, feedback is much better and the car just feels more planted and bigger, better. Mileage could have gone down but I haven't felt so already.

The biggest difference is that now I like looking at my car, earlier I used to hate it. The car looks lowered even if it is not since the wider wheels fill up the arch well and they give a smarter stance to the car. Stock executive silvery wheels never worked for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks