Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 12:55   #151
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic Disappointment. And SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
How come speedo is showing 140+ and digital display showing 118km/h?
The 118/hr is the Average Speed from the Source. I had filled Petrol at the BP Petrol bunk at Chikballapur (@ Kamath / Nandhini Hotel) and reset all the trip meters ( Avg Speed, Milege, Engine Run time, etc).
Old 27th September 2011, 14:39   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I get the same thing in our Hyundai accent CRDi but ours is a 5 year old 91000km done car. I thought our car has become old and the suspension needs some work!!!

We own this car since September 2009(bought used one in 2009) and did not feel the "thwank" till I had a Skoda Octavia with me for a week to use it!!! The same bumps which shook the entire car when in the accent, its only the wheel and suspension took the bump in the Octavia (despite all the horror stories of Skoda A$$, this car grew over me!!). Now I understand what all to be looked at when we buy our next car!!!

@kkr2k2....

I can sum up my description of the skoda octavia in one word... TANK!
It could swallow anything and everything u could throw at it and still grin happily.
And the fuel efficiency we got was just phenomenal! On highways with moderate speeds of upto 100kmph... we've gotten as high as 20KMPL!

But I digress.... My experience with the new Fluidic left alot to be desired.. There are other fluidic owners who may not share my view. Perhaps they have different driving styles and have come to expect and accept the Verna's ' Fluidic ' ride and handling.. but for me it was just unacceptable.

Getting my Optra Magnum LT TCDI delivery tomorrow! Will let everyone know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Logic varies from person to person. Mine is:

- He probably lost 1.xx lakhs on the Verna sale (if not more)

- He is about to buy a car that loses 40+% in resale in the first year.

Combined, thats about 5 lakh rupees.

Now, let me tell you that with bolt-on suspension components, there is NO FIDDLING around. That's why they are called "bolt on". In fact, one of the reasons why such good suspension kits don't come as stock is the cost. Dampers like Koni FSDs cost a phenomenal amount of moolah more than the regular stuff available on sub-10 lakh rupee cars.

Thus, for 50 thousand rupees, he could have a car that handles atleast as well as other C segment sedans, and then better some. He would lose suspension warranty, sure. But:

a) His branded OEM after-market kits have warranty
b) He would ONLY lose suspension warranty. If you get a different set of dampers & springs, and tomorrow there is an engine problem, don't worry. Few manufacturers will link the two together. Worst case, you can always swap the original components back (4 hours of work).

Thus, in the simplest calculation, should he spend 50,000 and be happy with the car he already has? Or lose 5 lakhs in a year, spend time & effort selling the current car and then spend time & effort finding a new car?

Power? There's nothing wrong with the Verna's power. It's one of the best in the segment.

Actually, if he still wasn't happy, he could easily swap the stock components back. Less than a 1/2 day of work. At the most, he would lose 20K of the 50K he spent on the suspension. 20K is a worthy risk, when we're talking about losing a lot more in depreciation.

A tyre upgrade or a pro-stereo install can also void the warranty of your car. A lot of us do it. Rest of the relevant points on the matter above. You'd be surprised to know that changing springs & dampers is easier to reverse than some of the pro-audio systems you see on the forum.

Absolutely, please look up the used car dealers I've put up in the Team-BHP Directory...they are the ones I go to when I'm looking for pre-worshipped cars. Also, do note that the reason you saw few Optras in the used market is that very few of them sell new in the first place. Just like the other depreciation disasters like the Cedia, Linea petrol and gang. Fact is, any (new) car that has bombed in the market, it always bombs in the used car market too.

And when one does come up, either the owner has to settle for whopping depreciation losses, or decide to retain the car because the resale is way too low. I understand you are an Optra owner, but facts are facts. And the Optra is a market dud, whether we are talking about a new example or used.

I guess I do "really get into the specs of a vehicle" and would still buy the Fluidic Verna over the Optra. I think you should give the Indian customer a li'l more credit than you do; he is an extremely astute personality (as many car companies have discovered, after spending millions of bucks).

Nothing exclusive to the Verna. 2/3 rds of all cars sold in the Indian market are sold without a test-drive. I probably know of 50 people who did test-drive the Verna, and did end up buying it BTW.

Also a matter of selling beyond the "sell by" date. No car in the 10 lakh segment sells for 10 years. You have to keep your product line up "fresh" here. Else, Honda would still be selling us the 1st gen Honda City. The Optra needs to R-I-P, all the more so because it's replacement is already on sale!!

Actually, it's brand -> Looks -> Reputation (of course, with the price being in their budget and the FE being acceptable). Clearly, it's not the brand that's working against the Optra, else the Cruze would have never been the king of the 15 lakh rupee segment (that's a full segment ABOVE). It's the product, plain and simple. Buyers just don't want it, as the market data amply proves.

@ GTO..

Thanks for the exhaustive post.

Couple of assumptions that were a bit off the mark though...

1. I had purchased my fluidic at 12,60,000 ---- I sold mine for 12,55,000!!That is because the gentleman who wanted to purchase it didnt want to wait 6- 8 months.After about 20 days drive and with around 800 km on the ODO.. i think I got a good deal.If I would'nt have gotten a price close to my purchase cost... I probably would have resigned myself to keeping the Fluidic.
  2. I went for the Optra because currently, in that price range, I didnt find a car to MY liking. Its all very subjective ... Although I admit, the Vento TD highline came a very close second... I chose the Optra coz of the price point ( i am getting it 1.10 lac cheaper than the Vento), and it offers more space.
  3. I dont really care much for depreciated prices of cars... After about 3 - 3.5 years,,, I probably may get just about a lac more on the resale price if Id purchased the Vento tdi instead . There are new cars hitting the market every couple of months... I doubt if any car purchased today will have a Significantly higher resale value. At the end of 3- 3.5 years usage ,even if I get close to half of what I paid today.. Id be happy. I am more concerned about my driving pleasure and ownership experience till then.
  4. After market suspension bolt-ons was suggested to me... but I suspected Id still have to live with the unsatisfactory handling. And honestly.. to subject to a brand new car to major modifications somehow just doesen't gel with my psyche. There is no right or wrong in this regard. Its a different mindset.
  5. Summing up... I KNOW i am going purchasing a car that has been around since 2003, ( the petrol variant, anyway) and the car model may be replaced or discontinued altogether. But resale dosent bother me. I had a Ford Fusion + since 2008 till April 2011. It was discontinued sometime end 2009, but I still got a resale price thats more than half of the original cost. and I absolutely loved that car. It suited me perfectly.
  6. I KNOW it is a plain, more basic car compared to my Fluidic variant, but for ME, my driving style, and daily commute, the Optra excels fundamentally.
I am due to get delivery of the Optra tomorrow, I shall post my ownership thoughts very soon...

Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

I'm happy that phenomonstar has found a car he's happy with. In the end that's what matters. But that doesn't make the Verna a bad car. It just means that it wasn't the right car for him.

I totally agree... I started the thread with the intention of letting people know MY experience and disappointment with the Fluidic Verna.
I am sure there will be many guys who are happy with it.
Although my daily drive is an average of 30 km... and that too most of it in Mumbai's cramped roads.. I still wasnt happy with handling at speeds of 70 and above. The suspension disappointed further.
Its entirely my fault to have booked a car without test driving it, but at the time I didnt have much choice... I'd sold off my Ford Fusion, and needed a replacement for day to day commute ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raark View Post
Phenomonstar

A really well analyzed content. I have been a Ford loyalist, earlier had the Ikon and now own the 1.6 Fiesta S, was seriously planning to have a shot at the Fluidic for my next. Now I seriously think I can't compromise on the handling part after jhaving driven Ford for almost a decade.

Sorry that you had to sell this car so soon..I had an experience of selling off my Fiat within 8-9 months and I know how it could be..

@Raark...

If you are a true ford enthusiast.. DO NOT.. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE... go for the Verna!! You will be surely and sorely disappointed!!!
Please TD the new Fiesta.. I hear its handling is spot on!!
The only reason I havent considered it... as Id mentioned in my original post, is the lack of beige interiors! I know it sounds weird but I wouldnt buy a car with black interiors even at half price.
I am happy with my decision to go for the Optra. Shall let everyone know how it goes very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyabhushan View Post
Are you serious??
130 kph is not safe in Optra - Merc??
Dude in my family, I have a Chevy Optra, Skoda Superb, Honda City, Toyota Altis, Merc E class and now a Skoda Yeti.
In all of these (except City and Altis) I have comfortably cruised at 150+ without the engine / tyres complaining, not even my wife (who is usually paranoid about speeding). City (Exclusive AT) was never comfortable at 100+ and I can live with that because City is built to be a city car, not a highway jet.
All skodas, Chevy Optra and definitely the likes of Merc / BMW / Audis can easily touch 160 - 180 without breaking a sweat, and stop within a comfortable braking distance from the same speed.

Absolutely agree with you mate!
I dont go out for highway drives often.. but the Verna ride and suspension was unacceptable for me even in the city.
Just had to let it go.

Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 28th September 2011 at 10:56. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 27th September 2011, 16:15   #153
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
How come speedo is showing 140+ and digital display showing 118km/h?
ankurvirmani19 it means that at the speeds he was doing, he would average 118 kms distance in one hour. That is some serious speed junkishya. I do hope that you ensure that even the rear passengers are wearing seat belts on the highway.
Old 27th September 2011, 21:57   #154
BHPian

Reminds me of our chauffer who is fond of our old generation 1 accent, prefers it over my uncles swift even for long distances. Tripple digit speeds are done with ease. He says that all it takes for him is a finger to steer the accent, while he has to practically sit on the swift steering to steer it in slow traffic, causing him undue neck pain..!!
Old 28th September 2011, 11:01   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar View Post
I had purchased my fluidic at 12,60,000 ---- I sold mine for 12,55,000!!
I'm going to have to eat my words. Basically, you used the car at no cost, and resold it at no loss. Good stuff, hope your next steed keeps you happy.

Drive safe!
Old 28th September 2011, 14:18   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@kkr2k2....
I had purchased my fluidic at 12,60,000 ---- I sold mine for 12,55,000!!
That is one amazing deal boss.
But what about registration transfer - 2nd ownership, road tax & all?

Seems like the buyer was really desperate to get the car at any cost
Old 28th September 2011, 14:59   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

If the car is sold in the same state the road tax should not be an issue at all. Same road tax and everything else including insurance applies to the new buyer too. The registration transfer should be nominal - 1000-2000 bucks at the most.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:07   #158

Quote:

@ninja....

Well i guess the 6-8 month long waiting and premiums of upto 75K weigh up pretty badly against a scratch-less top of the line variant with little over 800 km on the ODO...I did put V Kool film on my car but didnt include the cost .
I hadnt even removed the original plastics on the seats and on the dashboard. To be fair, I was honest to the gentleman about my reason for selling the vehicle. He wanted the car for his wife who had her heart set out on the Verna. He got a very good piece without any waiting, a tad lower than cost price with free V kool.
I had a word him day before yesterday.. His wife is mighty pleased with the car.
Win - win situation, I guess.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:30   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

@phenomonstar - win-win situation indeed
Although I wish you had opted out for the Vento, still the Optra is a good car. And the saved cash can be used for a good ICE + tire upgrades + some cosmetic beutification (read : Stanley seat covers, Kagu mats, etc) to the car!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:09   #160

Quote:
@phenomonstar - win-win situation indeed
Although I wish you had opted out for the Vento, still the Optra is a good car. And the saved cash can be used for a good ICE + tire upgrades + some cosmetic beutification (read : Stanley seat covers, Kagu mats, etc) to the car!

Hey Ninja..

Oooops! I ve just posted on your thread without reading this! heh heh.
Yeah the Vento was a close 2nd choice for me. If I'd opted for the Vento, Id have chose the same blue colour. Looks neat.

But the ample rear space, leather seats, and sheer driving pleasure nudged me a wee bit in the Optra's favour.
The 65K discount I got made it 1.10lac cheaper than the Vento Highline, and it made more fiscal sense to me.
I am not so much into the music scene and the stock ICE with the 6cd changer is adequate for my needs.

Happy driving, mate!
Old 4th October 2011, 12:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ninja..

Oooops! I ve just posted on your thread without reading this! heh heh.
Yeah the Vento was a close 2nd choice for me. If I'd opted for the Vento, Id have chose the same blue colour. Looks neat.

But the ample rear space, leather seats, and sheer driving pleasure nudged me a wee bit in the Optra's favour.
The 65K discount I got made it 1.10lac cheaper than the Vento Highline, and it made more fiscal sense to me.
I am not so much into the music scene and the stock ICE with the 6cd changer is adequate for my needs.

Happy driving, mate!
Hey phenomonstar - Did you get the delivery of Optra? Do share your buying and ownership experience with loads of pics.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:19   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

phenomenonstar- safe to say we're all eating our words here

While am thrilled for you, I am wondering at the stupidity of the person who bought the car from you. A car depreciates around 15-20% the moment it drives out of the showroom. Add to that the fact that "third owner" is like a black mark in the second-hand market! I guess it's not a big deal for him, so good for you!
Old 11th October 2011, 11:45   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
phenomenonstar- safe to say we're all eating our words here

While am thrilled for you, I am wondering at the stupidity of the person who bought the car from you. A car depreciates around 15-20% the moment it drives out of the showroom. Add to that the fact that "third owner" is like a black mark in the second-hand market! I guess it's not a big deal for him, so good for you!

Hey noop.....
Id agree with you if the car in question (the fluidic) wasn't having a 6-8 month and a premium of 50 - 75k in Mumbai.
I would not have sold the fluidic boat if I would have been offered the standard 15-20% depreciated price.
The buyer wanted it for his wife and was not prepared to wait that long.
Heck, he even got free V kools! . And, like me, I dont think he was worried too much about the price he may or may not get 3-4 years later.

Personally, I dont care much for the used hand market price much. There is a HUGE depreciation in prices, no matter what make or model or owner status.
And what with all the new models hitting the markets in coming months, I feel the used car market will only get worse for the sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hey phenomonstar - Did you get the delivery of Optra? Do share your buying and ownership experience with loads of pics.

Hey C300.

Yes mate, got the car on 28th of Sep and have clocked just a wee bit over 500km as on date. I am super happy with it.

I plan to post a detailed write up soon, just havent been able to get around to do it. Also, need to click a few good pics. Hopefully should be able to put it up in about a week.

Cheers!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2011 at 14:14.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:41   #164
BHPian

Well this thread would have had only 5 or 6 pages instead of 11 if we knew the verna was sold for such a good price, just 5k loss.

ALL the best with the Optra phenomonstar.
Old 11th October 2011, 15:11   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar
  1. I had purchased my fluidic at 12,60,000 ---- I sold mine for 12,55,000!!That is because the gentleman who wanted to purchase it didnt want to wait 6- 8 months.After about 20 days drive and with around 800 km on the ODO.. i think I got a good deal.If I would'nt have gotten a price close to my purchase cost... I probably would have resigned myself to keeping the Fluidic.
Cheers.
Congrats on the Magnum phenomonstar.

Man, that's one awesome deal. Amazing! The last time I heard deals like this was when people were waiting in line for the M800. You could use it for a while and sell at the same price or even more at times.

So the market gets one more reason to queue up for the new Verna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks