Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 00:34   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic Disappointment. And SOLD!

I had bought used Palio, which was almost like new, even tyre threads were intact and paid just 25% of new car. One of my close friend who paid more than me for new M 800, always feels like I did wrong going for used car. And I have come across many who think same. What I mean, buying used car is not everyone's liking, at whatever cost. I feel there are more than 50% of public who do not like to buy used car. So, suggestion to buy a used car is not everyone's liking.

There is nothing wrong if he bought new Optra, it is just that some people do not like used car.

Last edited by pawan_pullarwar : 23rd September 2011 at 00:39.
Old 23rd September 2011, 00:35   #92
BHPian

Re: Fluidic Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
@Phenomonstar: I think you have ditched one Korean for the other, nothing else. Do you realize that Optra is a also a Daewoo Nubira? Or did you get carried away by the Chevy Bowtie? You do a drag on the Sea Link road at 130 kph, any car would be dangerous for such a stunt, including your Merc's.
First, you're raining on the guy's parade. He's happy with his swap, so please try and be a little courteous. If you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say anything.

Second, you've clearly NEVER driven an Optra, so please refrain from commenting about things you know nothing about. The suspension and handling are excellent. The ride is firm, it handles bad terrain well, and it corners with assurance. The OP said he didn't feel the Fluidic had any of these attributes.

Third, just because the Optra was originally penned by Daewoo, they never made it. It's as GM as it can be.

Fourth, the plural of Merc is Mercs. Not Merc's.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 00:58   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Third, just because the Optra was originally penned by Daewoo, they never made it. It's as GM as it can be.
I'm sorry, I'm not interfering in your discussion with Durango Dude, but making a quick correction.

I think Daewoo did make the Optra. Infact, my friend who has got a magnum out of the 1st batch from Cochin, has seen "Daewoo" badging under some panel, in his car. That makes me so sure of it.

And, at the time of its launch, the Magnum's main competitor was the Octavia, and the latter handled much better. Optra scores in rear seat comfort.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:03   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not interfering in your discussion with Durango Dude, but making a quick correction.

I think Daewoo did make the Optra. Infact, my friend who has got a magnum out of the 1st batch from Cochin, has seen "Daewoo" badging under some panel, in his car. That makes me so sure of it.

And, at the time of its launch, the Magnum's main competitor was the Octavia, and the latter handled much better. Optra scores in rear seat comfort.
Its possible that GM bought out the plants that had already manufactured some panels and parts that were in stock, but the point I was trying to make was different.
If you've ever driven a Daewoo (I had the displeasure of driving a Cielo, and the sheer misfortune of driving a Matiz once.... I feel calling a Matiz a 'car' was being charitable) you'll know that the Optra feels nothing like a Daewoo product. Durango's post was misinformed in this respect.

Thanks for your post though.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:33   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its possible that GM bought out the plants that had already manufactured some panels and parts that were in stock, but the point I was trying to make was different.
If you've ever driven a Daewoo (I had the displeasure of driving a Cielo, and the sheer misfortune of driving a Matiz once.... I feel calling a Matiz a 'car' was being charitable) you'll know that the Optra feels nothing like a Daewoo product. Durango's post was misinformed in this respect.

Thanks for your post though.
Daewoo Nubira was also sold in United States. It was sold as Suzuki Forenza. In some parts of world, it was also sold as Daewoo Lacetti. All 3 are the same, a little of bit tuning is done by each manufacturer which is not a big deal. Nubira when driven is nothing like Matiz, its drives very similar to Forenza/Optra. It is also sold as Buick Excelle in China. Please be advise, not only panels, everything thing is shared among all four brands from suspension to interior to its architecture. You have misconception of Nubira being not as good to drive as Optra, but you have been mistaken. I have driven a 2003 Nubira and it is dynamically very similar.

Just thought of correcting you that GM didn't just use panels and parts, but the whole car from Daewoo.

More info here: Daewoo Lacetti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomonstar View Post
Even in my Ford Fusion ( which, IMHO, was the most under-appreciated car, specially after the outfitting of the Diesel engine, but more on that on another thread) handled exceedingly well, its 195 mm GC swallowing Mumbai potholes with ease.
Absolutely agree. I have had that thought for quite sometime now, but very few agree ... Maybe it was the pricing, the boxy shape or maybe it just was a little early for that time?

Quote:
Inside information from some acquaintances in Ford revealed that the car would not have a beige interior, even as an option in the higher variants.
Major let down. I personally do not like black interiors in any of my cars, and will gladly compromise even on the exterior colour if beige interior is not available in my choice of colour.
oh! ... I had the EXACT opposite scenario recently - for the Manza - I said I don't care any colour interior - I just want a BLACK colour in the exterior thats all!. Sadly it din't work out for me either.

Quote:
The features in this variant are top class, many of them not available even in MERCS and BMW's.
ummm... Sorry, correct me if I am wrong... the Verna no doubt had features that were 1st in ITS class (C+) ... but I can't think of a single feature it had that even C class Merc or 3 series Beemer doesn't. Infact - one may say it was 'similar' to them - definitely not better.

Quote:
But right from the first drive, I felt something was a miss.
The steering response is very lazy. I felt I had to work extra to make it behave like I wanted it to.

The rear seats, are placed so low, that, inspite of the generous leg room, anything more than an hour in them would make the passengers very uncomfortable.

At speeds above 70 the car fish-tails slightly. I needed to grip the steering wheel tightly. Also I got the feeling that any bump or change in the road level would make my car 'take off'.
Perhaps it was only my perception, but I didnt feel safe in the car.
Ive driven it in a straight drag on the Sea-Link at speeds upto 130. The engine felt like it could go much faster, but the body roll and handling scared me.

Again - 100% match. I felt this - exactly this. I TDed the Verna thrice - 3 different cars - just to make sure that it wasn't a problem with 1 or maybe I am making a mistake. It was UNBELIEVABLE !

Quote:
We 've owned Fiats, Skodas, Fords and Mercs ever since.
These cars feel firmly planted at any speed and go exactly where you point them.
Ah! No doubt - Rock SOLID cars - and the Verna, though not entirely bad or wrong, but is definitely on the 'lighter' side.

Quote:
The Fluidic was just too ....err..... different for my liking. Never felt safe taking it beyond 80kmph.
Absolutely! Pure city driving only car?

Quote:
The second major beef I 've had with the car is the suspension.
I knew beforehand that the suspension would be on the softer side, but this was just ridiculous.
Any unexpected pothole, even at speeds as low as 30kmph would be met with a loud 'THWACK' coming in from the undercarriage.
It was an alarming sound, almost as if something had broken off from the car.
I never knew about this! Thank you very much for mentioning this and bringing this to everyone's notice.

Quote:
I am taking delivery during Navratri days, and will update with my initial ownership experience soon!
Wish you all the very best.

Congratulations.

Nice to know - another guy - who buys a car with his heart 1st, then his head.

Somewhere else on this forum - was a huge discussion - Optra Magnum TDI was LOVED but not considered practical.
You had no qualms about going to it AFTER the Verna.
Wow !
Hats off to you!
ENJOY!
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:39   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First, you're raining on the guy's parade. He's happy with his swap, so please try and be a little courteous. If you've got nothing nice to say, then don't say anything.

Second, you've clearly NEVER driven an Optra, so please refrain from commenting about things you know nothing about. The suspension and handling are excellent. The ride is firm, it handles bad terrain well, and it corners with assurance. The OP said he didn't feel the Fluidic had any of these attributes.

Fourth, the plural of Merc is Mercs. Not Merc's.
Chevy Optra is a badge engineered Daewoo Nubira. I have test driven an Optra and sure have liked it. Spare me the grammar lessons, please. I think Phenomonstar needs to know that he is basically is going for one obsolete Korean instead of a modern one. I have also mentioned in an above post why Optra handles better than the Verna, it all boils down to the EPS units these new cars come with, which helps in packaging but at a loss of steering feel. Its not my wish to rain on anyones parade but I think phenomonstar needs to know what he is going in for.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd September 2011 at 07:04.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:35   #98
BHPian

As someone has correctly said "All that glitters is not gold"

Same is the case with, Fluidic Verna. Hyundai has surly turned the tables with the launch of this beauty, but when you actually start driving and using this car one would be able to really see the difference.

The same review I had heard from one of my friend who's aquaintance had bought this car.
If you compare the handling and drivability, it is not even at par with its competors. But, I think the sole reason as to why this car is selling like hot cakes is beacuase of the overall package (Interiors).

But my friend better late than never, you took a right decision at right time. Do tell us once you get your new Chevy.
Thanks for the review though.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

@phenomonstar - Sounded like you are echoing my thoughts after my test drive of the Verna. I was expecting it be as good as my Elantra if not better, but was terribly disappointed. Worst part was when the dealer told me that if at all Avante is launched; its going to be on the same lines as Verna, Hyundai is planning to make it a lightweight car to cater the fuel efficiency requirement of Indian market.

I feel Optra is a good choice, I would have jumped for it if they had a auto variant. Cruize though a good car, have mixed reviews and got a 50% Very Satisfied and 50% extremely dissatisfied customer base.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:04   #100
Senior - BHPian

There is not a single American GM car sold in India that I am aware of. I think all of them are Korean (Daewoo) with the single exception of the Tavera (Isuzu Panther).
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:08   #101
BANNED

Quote:
I have also mentioned in an above post why Optra handles better than the Verna, it all boils down to the EPS units these new cars come with, which helps in packaging but at a loss of steering feel. Its not my wish to rain on anyones parade but I think phenomonstar needs to know what he is going in for.
New Swift's EPS is fine, new Ford Fiesta is great... what stops Hyundai from having a good EPS system?
How can you blame the EPS system for a badly designed and caliberated suspension and chassis?
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
New Swift's EPS is fine, new Ford Fiesta is great... what stops Hyundai from having a good EPS system?
How can you blame the EPS system for a badly designed and caliberated suspension and chassis?
My belief is an over assisted EPS can OK for the city, but as speeds build up doesn't weigh up enough. This coupled with a 'wishy washy' suspension can be scary when you drive hard. Most of Japs & Koreans have a softly sprung rear suspension set up, that can cause problems when driven hard with a full complement of 4/5 people.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:13   #103

Phenomonstar

A really well analyzed content. I have been a Ford loyalist, earlier had the Ikon and now own the 1.6 Fiesta S, was seriously planning to have a shot at the Fluidic for my next. Now I seriously think I can't compromise on the handling part after jhaving driven Ford for almost a decade.

Sorry that you had to sell this car so soon..I had an experience of selling off my Fiat within 8-9 months and I know how it could be..
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:41   #104
BHPian

Quote:
@Phenomonstar: I think you have ditched one Korean for the other, nothing else. Do you realize that Optra is a also a Daewoo Nubira? Or did you get carried away by the Chevy Bowtie? You do a drag on the Sea Link road at 130 kph, any car would be dangerous for such a stunt, including your Merc's.
Are you serious??
130 kph is not safe in Optra - Merc??
Dude in my family, I have a Chevy Optra, Skoda Superb, Honda City, Toyota Altis, Merc E class and now a Skoda Yeti.
In all of these (except City and Altis) I have comfortably cruised at 150+ without the engine / tyres complaining, not even my wife (who is usually paranoid about speeding). City (Exclusive AT) was never comfortable at 100+ and I can live with that because City is built to be a city car, not a highway jet.
All skodas, Chevy Optra and definitely the likes of Merc / BMW / Audis can easily touch 160 - 180 without breaking a sweat, and stop within a comfortable braking distance from the same speed.
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:50   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurvirmani19 View Post
The same review I had heard from one of my friend who's aquaintance had bought this car.
I'm sure that's the most reliable way to judge this car.

Quote:
the sole reason as to why this car is selling like hot cakes is beacuase of the overall package (Interiors).
Well, at the end of the day, the overall package is what matters.

On a separate note, there's no reason to flame Hyundai for the Verna. They're not shoving it down anyone's throat. Heck they don't even want to give a test drive. Yet people are buying it, waiting for it, driving it and loving it! Are they fools? And no company can expect 100% of their customers to be happy. We talk as if there are no unhappy customers for any other car in the market!

This is a car you can easily spend a few years with. There will come a day when you wish the suspension was comfortable, the steering light and are ready to trade in wishful high speed cornering for realistic everyday comfort. From that day on, you will fall in love with the Verna.

Last edited by Tassem : 23rd September 2011 at 15:51.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks