Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2011, 22:39   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii
Can anybody confirm if the ldi variant has tweeter pods like in zxi near the side view mirror??

Nope. It is not present in both L and V variants. L variants have small ORVM internal adjust stalks at that location.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:13   #107
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Good review GTO but I was surprised to see that u missed out on the Honda Jazz among the competitors (specially after the price revision) !

In my opinion, the Jazz makes a more sensible bet than the Swift even though the latter handles better and has relatively wider service network than the Honda. The Jazz ticks the right boxes in my book as it has ABS and Airbags across all versions and the space and practicality is in a league of its own. Plus you dont have to wait those ridiculous 6 months (Yuck!)

So if I was the boy-racer kinds and didnt have to worry about practicality, the Swift would PROBABLY make me wait for the 6 odd months. Thankfully my OHC suffices my need-for-speed so if I put money down on a hatch, it'll surely be the Jazz and not the Swift.

P.S - Anyways this new Swift is so much better than the outgoing model so Kudos to MSIL for some good work.

Last edited by narula123 : 27th September 2011 at 23:15.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

Great review giving credit where due and calling a spade a spade!!

Actually this is a great strategy - sell a great first product at superb prices. Achieve cult status and sell the second with less value and at jacked up prices. The cult status achieved in the first iteration propels the sales figures of the second iteration.

Otherwise why would Maruti NOT provide better brakes. The current set is frankly DANGEROUS. Even in the old iteration these locked up at the slightest excuse. And to exclude a brake booster at the L and V levels!! Frankly you are taking the customer for a ride. An aftermarket brake booster and a set of Tarox brake discs are what I would recommend as a upgrade before a tuning box. Pardon the excessive posturing but frankly this is unacceptable!!

There seems to be a major difference in the configuration of the intake of the diesel compared to the old setup. May be a clue to the change in power delivery.

The excuse for an antenna (a stick stuck into a half lemon) looks terrible and does not adjust like the old one. The boot was the final nail in the coffin for me. As a current Swift owner, the new Swift doesn't do it for me. Those who have the current iteration are having the cake and eating it too. Maruti has stolen some of the cake in the current iteration.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 23:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
165 section tyres on a Swift is a joke. All Maruti cars are undertyred.
True except for, maybe the SX4
Old 27th September 2011, 23:47   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Make no mistake, the Swift will leave a Punto for dead on the corners. Reason:

- Quicker steering. Much quicker.
- Lesser body roll. Much lesser.
- Noticeably quicker acceleration. And lesser turbo-lag that bogs you down too
- Quicker, smoother gearshift
- Grip levels are on par with the 185 mm rubber that our test car had. Remember, the stock Punto has even thicker tyres. A Swift with 195 tyres will outhandle any Punto out there.

If the Figo had more power, it would be the most fun on the twisties. However, as things stand today, the Swift diesel is the most fun-to-drive diesel hatchback there is on sale in India.

The two areas where the Punto maintains an edge is the rock-solid stability at high speed, and feel from the hydraulic steering.

Superb, superb suspension, tight chassis and w-i-d-e footprint. Drive it to believe it.

Had never thought that the new Swift's chassis would be this good. Downer is the EPS, but would reserve my comments till I drive it.

Quote:
at 100 kph, the motor is spinning over at 2,300 odd rpm,
The earlier Swift-D IIRC did 100kmph @ 2,500 revs & this does at 2,300 revs.

Thanks to the Bhpian who loaned his prized possession and thanks Team for the 5* review

EDIT: Price difference between entry petrol and top-end diesel is way too much.

Last edited by Sheel : 28th September 2011 at 00:11.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:51   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I TDed the new Swift yesterday and had been waiting for this official review thread to post. It was a ZDi,having clocked 2070kms. I noted the following points.

-The engine noise has been damped a lot is barely audible outside when at idle(you may mistake it to be a petrol). It doesnot filter into the cabin untill past 3000 RPM. After 3000RPM though,the engine gets quite audible(wound up windows and AC couldn't damp it).

-Turbo lag is there till about 1700 RPM after which it starts gaining pace and beyond 2100 its a beast(more like a hungry lion pouncing).

-In heavy slow moving traffic,i kept to 2,3 and 4th gears and the car didn't shudder or ask for lower gear(i drive a petrol car and i was happy)

-Interiors are good but quality of plastic is not so good. The black panels of the dash board looked of different shades under sun,the centre area felt a tad rough.

-MID displayed a FE of 14.9 KMPL(i was flooring the throttle). Sales person says it is giving 18-19KMPL with AC in city.

-Acceleration is addictive. Once the turbo spools,the car just lurches forward,can be frightening in heavy traffic.(it reminded of the Bajaj Spirit/Safire with its 2/3 speed auto gear box-the scooter would jump when the gear shifted from 1st to 2nd). Overall i didn't find the acceralation as linear as stated by many.

- Brakes lack the required bite,could have been better(mind you i was driving a ZDi).

-The suspension crashed in sharp potholes.

-ACC cooling is not effective. Today was a sunny day and the cabin didn't cool that effectively even though the temp was at 18C. The ACC display showed temp as 61C and outside temp as 97C. The test drive person said it had developed some error due to misuse by people(in just 2000kms???).

-Blower speed beyond 3 in ACC is very loud and disturbing.

-The rear seats were more spacious and rear leg room has increased. Sales person said it was partially due to the recess carved in the back of front seats.

-The car was totally rattle free till now.

-The PW switch panel was already having a worn out look,like the car was 5 years old.

-Stock ICE was very good. It is available as an optional upgrade for LXi/LDi/VXi/VDi buyers,albeit for 18k INR.

-I am 6 ft and i didn't have any of the two issues as pointed out by GTO inthe opening post during my 45 mins TD.

A lot has said about the design and interiors,so i won't add anymore. It is for the same reason that i didn't click any pics.

We had booked a white Swift VDi two days only after which we were given a TD and i stuck to my decision after the test drive(ZDi is proving very expensive). The waiting period quoted is 4-5 months. But the sales person says we may be able to get in a 1-2 month as we will be buying directly without any finance.

PS-According to him,the booking for Dzire has been closed. Also he was trying to sell us the Ritz which is available immediately and has a few offers.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th September 2011 at 23:57. Reason: Forgot to add a point.
Old 28th September 2011, 00:14   #112
BHPian

My wife and I currently own a 2009 Swift-D (my daily ride) and a 2008 City (hers).
It's time to let the City go, because (a) I can't stand driving it... it's the most lacklustre experience compared to my old Ikon 1.6, and my current Swift-D and (b) petrol costs.

Options are the new Swift-D (my choice) and the Polo diesel (hers). We went and test drove both today.

SWIFT TEST DRIVE EXPERIENCE:
We were treated courteously at the showroom, and given a TD within 5 minutes. I got behind the wheel, and my impressions from the drive are thus:

1. LOVE the interiors. They're such a step up from the old Swift you feel like you're driving a completely different car, not just a newer model.
2. The music system that comes with the ZDi...it sounds much better than most stock systems, the switches are well laid out, it looks good, and despite the display not being as good as it can be, it's a good unit. I'm not sure it's available as an option on the VDi, but if it is, it's definitely worth considering.
3. NVH levels: They're much better than they are on the older model.
4. Electric OVRMS... nice.
5. Electric OVRM switch controls... not so nice.
6. The layout of the dials is fantastic. They're just so good to look at.
7. The MID is nice, but I get the feeling that it's more of a gimmick than a really useful prop. In real-world driving, you know what your fuel eco is. You just cant use the MID to corroborate it though because it changes literally every second... and Im talking about BIG swings. In 100m of fairly steady driving, the figures fluctuated between 15 and 27kpl.

Dislikes:
1. Styling: Not a fan of the new exterior styling. I'm a MASSIVE fan of hot hatches, and I love the old Swift styling because every part of the car is aesthetically matched to every other part.... much like the Polo. Those cars feel like there's central design theme running through the car, but the new Swift feels like the front and rear halves were designed by two separate people. It looks fabulous from the front, but mismatched from the side and the rear.
2. Ergonomics: Having to move my hand to press the horn... that's just annoying.
3. Driving position: It's just too high. You don't feel like you're part of the car at all, in fact it feels like you're sitting ON something rather than IN something.
4. Engine: Worst of all, was the engine. It just doesn't have the grunt of the old one. My current Swift-D gives me that kick in the back above 2000rpm, this one doesnt. I did manage to give it some stick on an open stretch of road, and was disappointed. Even if the 0-100 figures are the same, the old one makes you FEEL like you're going faster, and that's what counts.
5. No USB. On a car that's 6.5L on road. Are you kidding me????

All in all, I'll probably still buy it. It may not have the youthful appeal of the older model, but it's a more complete car. It's CERTAINLY a more complete car than the Polo-D, which felt so inadequate in comparison after TD'ing the new Swift.

NB: I was appalled by the attitude of the VW showroom staff. It seems like if you're there to inquire about a Polo they speak to you with thinly disguised disdain because they're too busy fawning over people inquiring about Jettas and Passats. Epic customer service FAIL.

Last edited by ghostrider : 28th September 2011 at 00:23.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 00:19   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I love the black interiors. Looks much better with the ICE and ACC in the Z variants.

However, I would have loved if the seats were some other colour other than black. Good quality leather seats can totally transform the new swift interiors.

I'm almost 6' and didnt notice either of these problems during the test drive. Need to drive the car once more. Worried since I'm one of those 1L + customers waiting for their lucky day.

You might want to take a second look at this. Noticed it in your pic. I feel its been designed for 60:40 split, but some marketing head at Maruti would be saving it for the next refresh model.

Can anyone with the new swift check the same?
Attachment 674402

It costs 7L in Trivandrum. That is serious amount of money for a hatchback, no doubt. However, from my search- i could find only two diesel cars that really excited me in the price range- The new Swift and the FIAT Punto. (And the used Civic which will remain a dream because already i have stretched the budget so much, I cant buy a petrol car. )

Swift now offers a superb fight to the Punto as a competent car, and one does not have to compromise various factors to own that car as well. Plus, the short turning radius turned out to be a huge plus - unbelievably, bein able to take an L-turn into our house with the same effort as it takes in the old WagonR. (Whereas Punto will need to be reversed from the main road along a street that has almost 8 big properties, and two 90 degree turns).Thats why Swift was finalised. In the forum, i see more bookings for ZDi than for VDi.

This was the state till last week. However, Popular Motors - Chennai has been calling me for test drive for over a week now. I would be going on thursday for back to back drive of Swift and Punto 90HP.

7.7L is OTR bangalore, i guess for ZDi version.

It gets decent 185 section MRF ZVTS, good brakes with ABS. And as GTO has put it - the handling is anything but scary. He has even rated it ahead of segment-best Punto. (However, boot space is a concern and yes, lesser variants are not meant for enthusiats without a tyre upgrade).

As an enthusiast yourself, which other diesel car would you buy at of Swift ZDi? From my car hunt - it finally came down to only two cars- Punto and Swift.

[b]Another point- Bangalore prices are always shocking to hear. I believe i20 asta with AVN crosses 9.5L in bangalore? Most people in other states could get a heart attack hearing Rs 9.5L price tag for a hatch.
Yes I know only the ZDi comes with 185 mm tires ,but I am sure the % of new Swifts on the road with 165 tires will definitely be higher.Hence my concern ,the 165 tires are a big NO for a car with such performance . Swifts with 165 tires are a big risk for everyone .

I wouldnt spend anything above 6.5L on a Suzuki small car for sure (Diesel,CNG,water or whatever) .If I have to spend 7.7 L and still buy a small car I would first look at the Punto 90BHP or maybe even spend more and buy the I20 crdi .At 8 Lakhs ,my choice would anytime be a Jazz from now onwards if its a new car that I have to buy .
Old 28th September 2011, 00:21   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I TDed the new Swift yesterday and had been waiting for this official review thread to post. It was a ZDi,having clocked 2070kms. I noted the following points.

-Turbo lag is there till about 1700 RPM after which it starts gaining pace and beyond 2100 its a beast(more like a hungry lion pouncing).

-Acceleration is addictive. Once the turbo spools,the car just lurches forward,can be frightening in heavy traffic.(it reminded of the Bajaj Spirit/Safire with its 2/3 speed auto gear box-the scooter would jump when the gear shifted from 1st to 2nd). Overall i didn't find the acceralation as linear as stated by many.
You said you currently drive a petrol car, that's probably why. You should drive the older Swift-D. the acceleration is MUCH more pronounced once the turbo kicks in.

Quote:
-ACC cooling is not effective. Today was a sunny day and the cabin didn't cool that effectively even though the temp was at 18C. The ACC display showed temp as 61C and outside temp as 97C. The test drive person said it had developed some error due to misuse by people(in just 2000kms???).
+1 to that. I got the same impression from my TD car. The AC was on the lowest setting and doesn't chill as well as it should.

Quote:
-Stock ICE was very good. It is available as an optional upgrade for LXi/LDi/VXi/VDi buyers,albeit for 18k INR.
Good to know.

Congratulations on your car. Please go through the PDI thread before taking delivery.
Old 28th September 2011, 00:21   #115
Senior - BHPian

As always, a great review, GTO. You know what? Last week, I was quoted a waiting period of 14 months of the ZDi. As ridiculous as it can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
BUT, at 7.7 L, I wouldn't really buy a Swift.
But at 7.7L you don't have any other hot hatch with all safety features. at 7.5L, you only get a i20 CRDi Magna. :-(. Sportz costs 8L and Asta costs upwards of 8.6L

Quote:
Probably there is an option to show temp in Celsius and Fahrenheit? The temperatures looks like Fahrenheit. 61F is 16C and 97F is 36C.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 28th September 2011 at 00:30.
Old 28th September 2011, 00:30   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You said you currently drive a petrol car, that's probably why. You should drive the older Swift-D. the acceleration is MUCH more pronounced once the turbo kicks in.

Congratulations on your car. Please go through the PDI thread before taking delivery.
Ya i have heard a lot of the previous gen Swift D but haven't been able to lay my hands on it,will try do so when i get a chance.

Thanks for your wishes. I will definitely look into the PDI thread before taking delivery(which is a long time away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Probably there is an option to show temp in Celsius and Fahrenheit? The temperatures looks like Fahrenheit. 61F is 16C and 97F is 36C.
I am not sure about the Fahrenheit thing but the sales person said that there was a malfunction with the Temp display as all people were fiddling with the ACC controls(it didn't strike me the F thing as i would have checked it out instead of believing him).

According to him the temperature was set at 18C(isn't the minimum available temp?? Correct me if i am wrong).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th September 2011 at 02:32. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 02:13   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Doesn't need space, as he's still only 24, and there are other cars in the house for the long trips
- 7 lakh budget
With the waiting period on Diesel Swifts, your kid bro will probably be 25 by the time the car arrives

I didn't like the treatment of the hatch either. IMHO the boot lid looks minuscule, in a disproportionate. Tail lights look very nice, though.

Also, I saw a V version the other day (White, of course), and the tyres look skinny! One should upgrade for the looks alone, even if not interested in the handling/braking benefits.

Can't wrap my head around a near 8L OTR (Bangalore) price for the ZDi
Old 28th September 2011, 02:49   #118
BHPian

Excellent review GTO. Worth the wait. But I am wondering why you kept the i20 out of the competition?
Old 28th September 2011, 07:52   #119
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Maruti Swift has been launched in India at a price of 4.22 - 6.38 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you won’t:
Mediocre brakes (LXi / LDi & VXi / VDi). Inadequate for emergency braking conditions
• Pricey ZXi / ZDi variants. Also, ABS no longer an option on the middle “V” variants
Poor braking and lack of ABS (other than ZDi) is a major negative and Maruti should have shown much more responsibility than skimping on safety. Maruti has been a champion in skimping on safety features for just too long.

These days on the highways you will invariably see the Swift being driven at high speeds as its great handling lulls you into a false sense of security. Spot on braking is an absolute must for car which are normally driven at high speeds like the swift.

ZDi with its price point will now have competition from sedans too like the Nissan Sunny, Verito, Fiesta Classic etc. At a Rs. 8 lakhs OTR people will review more options.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 08:59   #120
BHPian

As usual a great review. Thanks to GTO & Stratos!

But wondering how the Tata Vista having the same diesel engine has been left out of the comparisons.

Good luck to all the new swift buyers. Drive safe & enjoy!!

Most Viewed