Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 23:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Oh my Goodness.. What a killer car...!!! Congrats dude..
arrowaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 20:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Final words: Hyundai has this bad brand image which has many people at work and whom i meet think i am insane. Well hope they redeem it with the awards they have won the past 2 years as i really dont want it to be considered a bad car company. Till now they treat you well and the car has more than served me well. A long term ownership will only tell further.
Maddy
Well, I can just say one thing for all those people whom you have mentioned in the above point - Grow up buddies! Hyundai was bad a decade back, they became an average brand half-a-decade back and they are, dare I say this, segment-leaders right now in most of the mainstream segments. The Sonata, the Elantra, the Accent and the Genesis are all superbly competent cars in their segments and the sales numbers show that people across the world have realized it.

You have an awesome, droolworthy Genesis Coupe out there. It is a stunner and don't let these thoughts spoil the nice ownership experience. Wishing you many happy miles. Do keep the thread updated with the maintenance and service charges and, of course, a lot of pictures. We in India can only look at these cars in wallpapers.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 06:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Well, I can just say one thing for all those people whom you have mentioned in the above point - Grow up buddies! Hyundai was bad a decade back, they became an average brand half-a-decade back and they are, dare I say this, segment-leaders right now in most of the mainstream segments. The Sonata, the Elantra, the Accent and the Genesis are all superbly competent cars in their segments and the sales numbers show that people across the world have realized it.
Thanks Arvi. I just tell that to people. Look who won the car of the year

First service: Car went in for the first service. ropped her off at 8.30 am. Picked a donut from the waiting area and was promptly dropped off to my office in the ride home. Got a call at 1 asking what the problem with the sun roof was which i mentioned( Noise at 75mph). Got a call at 4 that the car was ready.

Went in to pick it up, signed the form and asked how much it costs to which the reply was 0! I had signed a maintenance package which i forgot about! Gosh!

Anyways smiling i went out to meet the SA and asked what went wrong and he mentioned that they had to make some adjustments to the roof and the noise has gone.

True! Filled in gas and drew home. There was regular oil change and a 20 point inspection done on the car. Next will go in for a allignment at 5k miles.

Will take some pics on my furture drives.

Maddy
Old 18th January 2012, 07:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arvi. I just tell that to people. Look who won the car of the year
You are right. The Elantra has just won the 2012 North American Car of the Year award, three years after the Genesis won and just one year after the Sonata came runner-up for the same title. Hyundai (and Kia) is on a roll and its not their loss anymore if their products are overlooked.
Quote:
Went in to pick it up, signed the form and asked how much it costs to which the reply was 0! I had signed a maintenance package which i forgot about! Gosh!
Oh dear! How did you manage to forget about the maintenance package that you had signed? Anyway, its good that they reminded you.
Quote:
Will take some pics on my furture drives.
Well, that's a prerequisite as all of us here can only drool at the pics and not lay our hands on one. Damn the tax structures here.
Old 5th February 2012, 01:56   #35
BHPian

Excellent review and great ride maddy! I picked mine up in July its a 2011 2.0 base. I just love it! I put on 17" for the winter hankook ipikes. They make the car snow worthy definately. I am thinking of getting a sway bar, some carbon fibre stuff and a cold air intake. Keep in touch and let me know what mods you are thinking of and we can compare notes. Here are a few pictures of my baby washed today.
Attached Images

Raj1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 02:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Excellent review and great ride maddy! I picked mine up in July its a 2011 2.0 base. I just love it! I put on 17" for the winter hankook ipikes. They make the car snow worthy definately. I am thinking of getting a sway bar, some carbon fibre stuff and a cold air intake. Keep in touch and let me know what mods you are thinking of and we can compare notes. Here are a few pictures of my baby washed today.
Wow. She looks gorgeous in black! Nice rims on your car. Did you get them from elsewhere? Any plans of external mods? Spoiler or so? I was not too keen on mods at the moment but would like to see the simple ones. Any ideas?

First was a air filter. But am unsure if it would help much. How is the drive in the winters?
Old 5th February 2012, 10:46   #37
BHPian

Thanks man. I wanted to drive her for a bit before I do any mods.

I bought the winter set alloy + tires from a local tire dealer. I paid 1400 for the set versus 1900 the Hyundai dealers wanted. It's pretty good in the snow as long as your gentle or it wants to fish tail. I have driven her through some serious snow.

Really want to throw in some carbon fiber because it will look sick on a black car. I may spring for a cold intake. As it gets older maybe get a remap to 300 bhp. This is the Evo engine in this and Hyundai built it as a bare canvas for mods. Check out gencoupe.com , tons of advise there. For logos and stuff I hear there is a seller called importshark on there.

Did you get the sunroof retrofitted? How much did it cost you? Does it effect warranty in anyway?

Last edited by Raj1008 : 5th February 2012 at 11:01.
Old 5th February 2012, 22:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. I wanted to drive her for a bit before I do any mods.

I bought the winter set alloy + tires from a local tire dealer. I paid 1400 for the set versus 1900 the Hyundai dealers wanted. It's pretty good in the snow as long as your gentle or it wants to fish tail. I have driven her through some serious snow.

Really want to throw in some carbon fiber because it will look sick on a black car. I may spring for a cold intake. As it gets older maybe get a remap to 300 bhp. This is the Evo engine in this and Hyundai built it as a bare canvas for mods. Check out gencoupe.com , tons of advise there. For logos and stuff I hear there is a seller called importshark on there.

Will Do but have decided against the logos though. The wing logo is difficult to read and i want people to know its a hyundai whooping their backsides

Did you get the sunroof retrofitted? How much did it cost you? Does it effect warranty in anyway?
The sun roof was fitted by an external vendor through the dealer. Was a part of my negotiations during the buy so doesn affect the warranty. Got the spoiler too. Was confused between the lifted one and the lip and finally went for the lip. The lifted one was too aggressive for my liking.

How many miles have you run on your car? Any wheelspins?

Does the reflector on the door have a light when you open it or is it reflectors only? COnfused!

Finally here is a pic when we were in a photoshoot of a lambo.
Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-397882_10150668734969050_680339049_11524102_1387690335_n.jpg

Last edited by maddy42 : 5th February 2012 at 22:52. Reason: added a query
Old 6th February 2012, 09:42   #39
BHPian

I am pretty sure they are reflectors. Will check tomorrow again now you got me intrigued.

I have 14000 Kms approx 8900 miles. I drove 3000 Kms in the first month lol. What do you mean by wheelspins?

Looking for a black or cf mesh grill. Any pointers?

Desi question, what's your mileage. I get 12.5 km/100l use 91 octane. I think that's 18 mpg. That's pretty awful.
Old 7th February 2012, 08:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty sure they are reflectors. Will check tomorrow again now you got me intrigued.

I have 14000 Kms approx 8900 miles. I drove 3000 Kms in the first month lol. What do you mean by wheelspins?

Looking for a black or cf mesh grill. Any pointers?

Desi question, what's your mileage. I get 12.5 km/100l use 91 octane. I think that's 18 mpg. That's pretty awful.
Mine are reflectors so just confirming

I drove 4800 miles and its been 3 months since i got it. I did do one long trip and my problem is all Clubs around here are a good 20 miles one way!

Well i did some looking on genesiscoupe.com and happened to see couple of DIY for grills. Would be a good point to start off. I am not much of a DIY person so scared on doing it! My next shot is at a fog light installed. Just for the look!

Haha. I was about to ask you. Last week i was getting 17.1mpg which was low. I changed the bunk where i fill from and i am getting 22mpg. I use 89 octane. I was adviced that i could use normal 87 octane but i dont wanna risk it. The difference between 87 and 89 pricing is not too much so i prefer it.

Your rims got me thinking. Maybe soon! How do you clean them?

Last edited by maddy42 : 7th February 2012 at 08:17. Reason: Added a query
Old 7th February 2012, 13:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Raj: Is this the CAI you were mentioning?
Old 16th February 2012, 19:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
@Raj: Is this the CAI you were mentioning?
2.0T Hyundai Genesis Intake Mods - YouTube
Sorry I have been MIA, just got tied up with work.

Yes thats it. I am still too chicken to mod anything in the car yet lol

I saw a great carbon fibre mesh grill, I think i will start with that. Will give the car a clean look. what do you think?
importshark.com

How did you install go? What did you do exactly? LED's will look sick. Even colored headlights with LED's. Something like this with LEDs turn and parking lights
importshark.com

I switched to 89 and my mileage is the same as 91. I will try another few fill ups to see. No point in throwing money after 91.

I sparyed the rims with armour all rim protector and they just get cleaned with every wash. Keeping black clean is a tough job but its so darn awesome when its shiny!
Old 17th February 2012, 12:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes thats it. I am still too chicken to mod anything in the car yet lol

I saw a great carbon fibre mesh grill, I think i will start with that. Will give the car a clean look. what do you think?
importshark.com

I switched to 89 and my mileage is the same as 91. I will try another few fill ups to see. No point in throwing money after 91.

I sparyed the rims with armour all rim protector and they just get cleaned with every wash. Keeping black clean is a tough job but its so darn awesome when its shiny!
The CF grill looks good. But i dont wanna loose the badge . Is it a easy install?

Well i changed bunks today and was getting 25mpg. Lol i think it was coz i was keeping it under 2k rpm. Guess thats how Hyundai claim to get 30mpg!

My rims are stock but its diff to clean them. Lol i got to stop being lazy and do something about it. My friend just did a CAI on his polo so i should get inspired by it. Maybe in 6 months time. For her 1 yr anniversary.

So do you do long drives? Wanna check her out on the hills and see how she corners.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:06   #44
BHPian

I don't think I have ever kept revs under 3000 after breaking her in

I have gone to ottawa twice, very boring drive. I intend to do a vermont drive soon through some twisty roads. On my ride to work there are a couple of curves and I have fun with her every morning. She is very responsive and sure footed. I have pushed her a lot and can take take curves very very well without missing a beat. Makes you very over confident. The traction kicks in and you all safe again lol. Just been reading that at some point it will cut off fuel to the car if you really push her so to keep you safe. But that's really really at the edge.

I think the grill should be easy switch. Cai I don't known yet. But it adds bhp to the car. Apparently the 2013 rear lights can be fitted on the car with no mods. They look pretty good.

Last edited by Raj1008 : 17th February 2012 at 17:10.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Short update. My car was parked at my home parking slot and on Thursday and at 2 i was going to drop my friend back home to see a note stuck on my windshield.

It said my worst fear. My neighbor had scratched my car while parking his! The space between the rear tire and passenger door had 2 scratches. looked fairly bad.

I went to a collision center first thing in the morning and got a quote. 2 Gash in the metal and the plastic got a quote of $850!! Was shocked! But anyways went and contacted the neighbor who agreed to pay for it.

Now i dont know if i should go ahead or live with it. Mind says go ahead. But this is pricey. So planning on visiting 2 more places and getting a quote.

The pic is here. Its not as bad as this shows.
Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-photo.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks