Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 04:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Guys, did you consider a Mustang GT(or the V6) or similar Camaro before finalizing on the Genesis Coupe?

If yes then would be interested in knowing why these were striked off?

I was in the "I dont have a credit history bucket". Just off grad school and went hunting for cars and the only salesperson who showed any interest in me happened to be in the hyundai dealership. Thats one of the reasons i went for it.

I did not enter the ford dealer and i would rate the mustang better than my car. No offence for anyone but its got the oomph and the aaa's in it. I ended up convincing my friend into the Mustang.

The only negative i found of the mustang was the rear leg space. Hardly any and hope you dont wear trekking shoes as that would get stuck in the front seats.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 03:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Update: In phoenix we had rains recently and i had left one of the windows down by accident. Water entered the windows and now the window mechanism is jammed. Make a very long groaning noise while going back and forth. Have booked an appt with the dealer for Monday and also getting it polished.

34k kms and counting.

Maddy
Old 4th April 2017, 22:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Survived my first full winter with a RWD car in a snow abundant region. Here are some of my learnings.

1) Snow tires snow tires snow tires! Need I stress more. Buy it to save yourself.
2) Practise driving slow in slick conditions. The ESP needs to be on at all times.
3) Doing donuts is very very easy once it snows. Just turn the steering and gun the pedal.
4) Cleaning the car is a chore. Ended up scratching my paint at a couple of spots. Will be going in for detailing soon.

My car mileage is at 52000 currently but my mpg has dropped to 14-16 mpg. Have given it for service where the fuel injectors are being serviced and synthetic oils are being used. Thinking of changing my air filters to K&N but reviews are a hit or a miss.

Will update with the pics of the tires and the scratches shortly. I have reached a level where am slowly getting bored. So either a couple of mods is the need of the hour or may want to change. But the climate right now with visas is not apt for the same.

Maddy
Old 4th April 2017, 23:45   #109
BHPian

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Hey Maddy! Good to see you still have the gen.

I am at 47,000 miles and still loving the car. So far I have just done the brakes servicing and regular oil changes. It should come up for a fluid swap and spark plugs in 10,000 miles.

You are right about the snow tires. I am up in Toronto and I haven't driven it in the winter without. I don't think that there is a way to! I bought some hankooks and will need to buy a new set next year. I am also due for new set of summer shoes. Any recommendations?

To avoid the donuts, I switch to sport mode and 2nd gear. She doesn't miss a beat.

What issues are you facing cleaning? Do you use two buckets and grit guard? I can share some tips. Not saying I don't have scratches but that's from others more than my washing.

I looked at kn and haven't been convinced so car is stock stock.

I have been toying with getting a Porsche Cayman but I don't want to sell the gen as she had been trouble free. I had bought her brand new and paid for the depreciation so it may not make financial sense either. Besides she is black on black and a head turner
Attachment 1626569Attachment 1626570

Last edited by Raj1008 : 5th April 2017 at 00:02.
Raj1008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 00:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Update after my service.

My turbo seals are leaking oil and a replacement under warranty has been ordered. One advantage of the warranty and I believe this is being changed the second time in 2 years.
Sober driving is giving me 19mpg. But a slow tap on tap on the pedal drops it to 15mpg.
Fuel injector service seems to have done the job.
I have replaced the cabin air filter which was dirty and will be replacing my paper filter for the car with k&n. I want to know what the hype is all about.

Will be giving my car for a full detail as the engine bay as the pics show is dirty with all the muck on the road during the winters!

Lastly the fluids in the car was supposed to be checked. They did check it and left it at the same low levels without topping the same!!

Pics of the fluids and the scratches are attached.

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_3169.jpg

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_3170.jpg

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_3171.jpg

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_3172.jpg

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_3173.jpg

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_3174.jpg

Maddy
Old 6th April 2017, 00:32   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Hey Maddy! Good to see you still have the gen.

I am at 47,000 miles and still loving the car. So far I have just done the brakes servicing and regular oil changes. It should come up for a fluid swap and spark plugs in 10,000 miles.

You are right about the snow tires. I am up in Toronto and I haven't driven it in the winter without. I don't think that there is a way to! I bought some hankooks and will need to buy a new set next year. I am also due for new set of summer shoes. Any recommendations?

To avoid the donuts, I switch to sport mode and 2nd gear. She doesn't miss a beat.

What issues are you facing cleaning? Do you use two buckets and grit guard? I can share some tips. Not saying I don't have scratches but that's from others more than my washing.

I looked at kn and haven't been convinced so car is stock stock.

I have been toying with getting a Porsche Cayman but I don't want to sell the gen as she had been trouble free. I had bought her brand new and paid for the depreciation so it may not make financial sense either. Besides she is black on black and a head turner
Attachment 1626569Attachment 1626570
Porsche 911 is my dream! Funny though! Lemme know if you are going to get a good deal on the same!

Tell me about your cleaning strategy as my brush or something did leave some marks on my car.

I did change my tires at the 32k mark with Nitto. The weird tire size we have limits our options quite a bit. Nittos do screech on sharp corners. I would look at other brands. If you have a friend who works with continental they offer quite a discount for employees.

And I believe the attachments you made did not attach properly. I wanna see how your car does look like now.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 08:10   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Porsche 911 is my dream! Funny though! Lemme know if you are going to get a good deal on the same!

Tell me about your cleaning strategy as my brush or something did leave some marks on my car.

I did change my tires at the 32k mark with Nitto. The weird tire size we have limits our options quite a bit. Nittos do screech on sharp corners. I would look at other brands. If you have a friend who works with continental they offer quite a discount for employees.

And I believe the attachments you made did not attach properly. I wanna see how your car does look like now.

Maddy
Hey Maddy,

Thos scratches seem really strange. Are you using any hard brushes? Please stop using that.

I usually just take two buckets, one with a grit guard insert https://www.amazon.ca/Chemical-ACC10...f_rd_i=desktop
. Use some soap like armor all. Use two micro fibre mitts to wash https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-X3002.../dp/B000RXKR6M. One is for the lower end of the car and other for upper.
First just hose down the car with water. Then use the mitts to soap it. Then just hose down the car.
I may use a clay every year at this stage. Then rewash the car.
Apply wax and voila!
If you are not applying wax, then use a waffle weave cloth to gently glide over the car. If you are picky, buy a leaf blower.

Trick is to not apply any pressure. I never go to a handwash. No charity bikini girls washing my car either :( I do use a touchless every couple of weeks in the winter.

I hope you are touching up the paint. In one picture it looks like your fender has been rubbed with a car or wall.

You had a turbo replaced under warranty? My warranty ran out last year. How long is your warranty. Lucky its covered. I have been using 91 or 89 gas if I am feeling cheap. I somehow didn't feel regular was sufficient for a turbo. Always used synthetic too. How much did they charge for injector cleaning? Did you also get a throttle body clean?

I failed at uploading pictures from my phone , but logged on the PC for you!
Attached Thumbnails
Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_8249.jpg  

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe-img_8248.jpg  

Old 7th April 2017, 21:13   #113
BHPian

Trials and Tribulations of a first time buyer - Hyundai Genesis Coupe

More info for two bucket wash
The first bucket insert grit guard. Fill with clean water and the second bucket is filled with car wash soap and water. Dunk your mitt into the soapy car wash solution first to wash your car. Then dip mitt vigorously into the bucket with clear water and grit Guard to rinse the mitt thoroughly. Keeping cleaning the mitt intermittently as you wash. This will ensure that there are no particles that can scratch your car.

Last edited by Raj1008 : 7th April 2017 at 21:16.
Old 10th April 2017, 21:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
More info for two bucket wash
The first bucket insert grit guard. Fill with clean water and the second bucket is filled with car wash soap and water. Dunk your mitt into the soapy car wash solution first to wash your car. Then dip mitt vigorously into the bucket with clear water and grit Guard to rinse the mitt thoroughly. Keeping cleaning the mitt intermittently as you wash. This will ensure that there are no particles that can scratch your car.
My scratches was from cleaning snow off the car. I will be getting the car buffed and polished and see if those go away. And yes my front bumper has a nice scratch from my previous garage door. Thanks to my negligence on it!!

My warranty, not really sure but I believe it is the 100k mile warranty which covers this. I had a extended package for service which got over last year.

The car is in the shop today for the turbo replacement.

With regards to fuel type: I used to use 91 but realized my mileage actually improved with 87 so demoted to the same. I am a mileage watcher as my friend with a mustang gets 27 but I get only 20 and currently it is 17-18/ Hope this changes with the turbo change.

The fuel injector service was 120 and they did throttle body too. I am expecting my k&n filter soon but do not expect any massive change or anything!

Your car does look gorgeous in that color!

Maddy
Old 12th May 2017, 03:52   #115
BHPian

Just checking in if your mileage improved?

Dealer keeps pushing a TB service and injector cleaning. It doesn't seem like it's needed so soon. Maybe I will change my mind now. My car knocks with 87 octane so I have been using 91. I feel I get better mileage too 😂

Try resetting the spark plug gaps if your mileage hasn't improved. I have read on other forums that factory gap was not as per the tech specs. Let me know if you need more information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks