Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mighty Black Paj..It's my new ride!! (Mitsubishi Pajero)

Congratulations Mahesh on the Mitsubishi.
Your third last picture shows swirl marks (circular concentric lines) accentuated by the camera flash.
The person cleaning the SUV is most likely causing this damage by using dirty rags.
But I guess this doesn't matter much on an off-roader.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:31   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Anti theft mechanism is on top of the list and I am checking with HM if they can retrofit Immoboliser or not. If they cannot - I will mostly go in for a Gear Lock.
The Tata Safari (old model) gear lock base plate is a perfect fit for the Pajero's gear lock. You should be able to find it with a bit of searching here and there.
Quote:
An another query - should I change only the speakers & keep the stock OEM system? It seems to be a good one (not the looks!) with all key features.
Changing only the speakers to say, components, will certainly help matters, however, the extent of improvement can be gauged only after you do it and listen to them yourself. I would suggest you go to a good sound shop and try changing one thing at a time with advice from an audiophile and make it as good as you can afford it to.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:43   #33
BHPian

Congrats Mahesh! Paj is my choice of SUV below 1Cr mark (and RR Vogue on the other side) ! hopefully, i will be able to buy mine this year!
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Congratulations on THE beast & THE big daddy of offroad SUVs.

Brings back a bit of nostalgia since last year I paid booking advance for the Pajero (yellow shade) but cancelled it since the AT of the Endeavour trumped it for me. Since these two were the last remaining vehicles on my shortlist, I have studied and admired the Paj long enough.

Do read fellow BHPian Ricky_63's thread on his Pajero(s) to give you ideas for modifications, maintenance and other tips.

Rumble on!
Thanks! I have read Ricky_63's thread while I was finalizing Paj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Congratulations Mahesh on the Mitsubishi.
Your third last picture shows swirl marks (circular concentric lines) accentuated by the camera flash.
The person cleaning the SUV is most likely causing this damage by using dirty rags.
But I guess this doesn't matter much on an off-roader.
Thanks! Yes - I notice that and will do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Tata Safari (old model) gear lock base plate is a perfect fit for the Pajero's gear lock. You should be able to find it with a bit of searching here and there.
Thanks! Yes - I have read that in Ricky_63's thread too. Will update how things go wrt safety equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Changing only the speakers to say, components, will certainly help matters, however, the extent of improvement can be gauged only after you do it and listen to them yourself. I would suggest you go to a good sound shop and try changing one thing at a time with advice from an audiophile and make it as good as you can afford it to.
Thanks! I just don't want those big amp's & other stuff which occupy the last row (beats the purpose of buying a 6/ 7 seater), but - just want to hear some good music. I mostly listen to soft melody and benchmark is my Laura. As long as I am able to get similar kind of output - I would be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Congrats Mahesh! Paj is my choice of SUV below 1Cr mark (and RR Vogue on the other side) ! hopefully, i will be able to buy mine this year!
Thanks and my wishes in advance for Paj or RR Vogue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post

Anyway, since you are registering the car in a non metro area, I assume you will occasionally travel out of Bangalore and so will fill up with BSIII diesel anyway.
Referring to an quote in another thread of mine; Is it not recommended to use BS IV diesel in BS III car? If not - how bad would it be? Could somone throw some light on this?

Last edited by maheshramaling : 23rd February 2012 at 16:28.
maheshramaling is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:55   #35
BHPian

Hey Mahesh,
Yes i guess, upsizing the tyres is a Big No for now considering it does affect your steering / suspension and overall ride risking warranty, but ICE / Hella Fogs should not cause any harm as now a days they use Coupler based circuits no no peeling / cutting of wires, and yes components in front and 4 way speakers in rear should do it with Amps to drive them, these will not occupy much real estate in the car but will give you good clarity as the car is also huge from inside, and can you please post a few more pics of its interiors including spacing of pedals, shoulder room, the second and third row seats legroom etc...it would add value for future buyers like us
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Hey Mahesh,
Yes i guess, upsizing the tyres is a Big No for now considering it does affect your steering / suspension and overall ride risking warranty, but ICE / Hella Fogs should not cause any harm as now a days they use Coupler based circuits no no peeling / cutting of wires, and yes components in front and 4 way speakers in rear should do it with Amps to drive them, these will not occupy much real estate in the car but will give you good clarity as the car is also huge from inside, and can you please post a few more pics of its interiors including spacing of pedals, shoulder room, the second and third row seats legroom etc...it would add value for future buyers like us
Thanks! Tyre upgrade - I agree and let me explore Hella & ICE & keep this thread updated. Will post more pictures including interiors, soon.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:12   #37
BHPian

Congratulation Mahesh on your new ride!!!
i just loved the way the tank looked at our office basement.
I am sure you will have the best of best time with it.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
4) Wife's choice - since she was also an lover of this grand daddy of SUV's!!
My wifey is a Paj lover too. Looks like Paj is one true classic SUV which can impress most people at first sight!
Old 24th February 2012, 11:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Congratulation Mahesh on your new ride!!!
i just loved the way the tank looked at our office basement.
I am sure you will have the best of best time with it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
My wifey is a Paj lover too. Looks like Paj is one true classic SUV which can impress most people at first sight!
Indeed true!
Old 24th February 2012, 15:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_kk View Post
Congrats!!

You have taken a fantastic decision to go for pajero. As you said this has less electricals and more reliable parts and you can get it repaired in any part of the country.

** Happy Motoring **
In terms of reliability, yes old school Mitsus are terribly reliable. However, I disagree with people who say that it can be repaired in any part of the country. The authorised service centres do the best job.

This is based on my experience of clocking 3,50,000 Kms on my lancer diesel. It still runs strong without an engine rebuild.
thermalpaste is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 15:52   #41
BHPian

Mahesh, congratulations! You've purchased the most reliable SUV. A Pajero can never get outdated, in a sense, the design is timeless and elegant much like the Benz G-Wagen.

The 4M4 series mitsu engines can easily clock a million kilometres without a rebuild. the suspension is robust and will probably not need replacement for at least 7 years. (excluding the shock absorbers)

Always get it serviced at the authorised service centre - The diesel filter and the oil filter particularly.

Always replace the timing belt at the service centre. They use a dial-gauge to set the injection timing correctly, besides the original timing belt and tensioner kits aren't easily available outside.

This car can easy outlive you if you take care of it; trust me on this.
thermalpaste is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 15:58   #42
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and wish you many miles of happy driving. do take the time to read the user manual cover to cover and understand all the aspects of this vehicle , especially small but very pertinent things like idling for a minute prior to turning off the engine, surfaces for engagging 4wd, execising the front diff regualrly at signals etc.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalpaste View Post
In terms of reliability, yes old school Mitsus are terribly reliable. However, I disagree with people who say that it can be repaired in any part of the country. The authorised service centres do the best job.

This is based on my experience of clocking 3,50,000 Kms on my lancer diesel. It still runs strong without an engine rebuild.
Thanks! I have heard about Lancer's doing 1 Lacs+ easily from many, but - 3.5 Lacs+ is simply amazing. Congrats & wish you many happy miles ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalpaste View Post
Mahesh, congratulations! You've purchased the most reliable SUV. A Pajero can never get outdated, in a sense, the design is timeless and elegant much like the Benz G-Wagen.

The 4M4 series mitsu engines can easily clock a million kilometres without a rebuild. the suspension is robust and will probably not need replacement for at least 7 years. (excluding the shock absorbers)

Always get it serviced at the authorised service centre - The diesel filter and the oil filter particularly.

Always replace the timing belt at the service centre. They use a dial-gauge to set the injection timing correctly, besides the original timing belt and tensioner kits aren't easily available outside.

This car can easy outlive you if you take care of it; trust me on this.
Thanks! All my previous cars have been serviced only in ASC's except for puncture repair! Yes - this will be the scenario with Paj as well until I am in Bangalore.

Very valuable input on the timing belts & tensioner kits. Will keep in mind.

Since - you spoke about filter; what is your take on having a K&N or Green cotton filters in Paj. Would you recommend?

BTW - I quite liked your signature!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Congrats on the purchase and wish you many miles of happy driving. do take the time to read the user manual cover to cover and understand all the aspects of this vehicle , especially small but very pertinent things like idling for a minute prior to turning off the engine, surfaces for engagging 4wd, execising the front diff regualrly at signals etc.
Thanks! Yes - I did take good 4-5 hours in reading it. I do idling on both Laura & Paj for 30 to 60 secs before and after driving.

An another query - is it recommended to rev the engine for a brief 5 secs before switching off so that battery get's charged enough like in the old school vehicles (amby, trucks, etc.,) Have never done that in the modern cars even in my Esteem.

Last edited by maheshramaling : 24th February 2012 at 17:35.
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 18:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
An another query - is it recommended to rev the engine for a brief 5 secs before switching off so that battery get's charged enough like in the old school vehicles (amby, trucks, etc.,) Have never done that in the modern cars even in my Esteem.
Not required according to me. The older vehicles used a dynamo to charge the battery only when the accelerator was pressed, modern ones use alternators.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 20:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Since - you spoke about filter; what is your take on having a K&N or Green cotton filters in Paj. Would you recommend?
I don't like K&Ns or any after-market filters, trust me, they are almost as good as having no filters.

Read this: Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

I have experimented with K&N stock filters and think it's a waste of money.

Also, keep your original wiring harness intact when changing your HU. Procure a harness adapter that is compatible with the existing harness and the new HU you purchase.

Sorry for the incorrect information, the Pajero sold in India comes with 4M40 engine which runs on a timing chain. You don't need to worry about changing the chain for at least 2,00,000 kilometres.

The earlier JDM Pajeros (4d56) required a timing belt.

I strongly recommend you also install a GPS tracker, so that you can track the exact location of your car (in case someone decides to steal it).
HM used to offer 'Hindtrack' as an accessory for Pajeros and Lancer, not sure if they still sell it.

Quote:
BTW - I quite liked your signature!!
Thanks!
thermalpaste is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks