Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 13:29   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Installed OSRAM 4200K HIDs today.

Would like to see the throw of light in position Nos. 2, 1 & 0. Will test it on my next highway drive.
Rather a late query, but can you share the cost of the HID kit? Also, any reviews on its usability during wet conditions - if encountered, will be great.
Old 24th February 2013, 13:36   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A minor update:

Installed OSRAM 4200K HIDs today. Road bathes in bright light. On high beam at position #:3 (the lowest), two oncoming dumpers on the Gurgaon-Faridabad highway dip their lights in respect. Lovin' it.

Would like to see the throw of light in position Nos. 2, 1 & 0. Will test it on my next highway drive.
Some more details please possibly with pictures to WOW us.

Marengo is back to 65/55 Halonix (supplied as spare with the vehicle) and was surprised that I had actually not gained much when I had higher powered offroad lights.

But yes, always open to try out new things. (And many a times come back and say, "nay this did not work")
Old 24th February 2013, 14:15   #153
Senior - BHPian

It is close to 10K. Recently we have had rains in Delhi/NCR and also encountered rains after Karnal while on way to Delhi/NCR. It illuminated the roads pretty well.

Dense fog near Sonepat

The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4-fog.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Rather a late query, but can you share the cost of the HID kit? Also, any reviews on its usability during wet conditions - if encountered, will be great.
I encountered one of the densest fog just before Sonepat on my way to Palampur about a month back. This is what the HIDs did.

And this was the view on a night drive through Sariska at 4 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Some more details please possibly with pictures to WOW us.

Marengo is back to 65/55 Halonix (supplied as spare with the vehicle) and was surprised that I had actually not gained much when I had higher powered offroad lights.

But yes, always open to try out new things. (And many a times come back and say, "nay this did not work")
Old 24th February 2013, 14:58   #154
BHPian

Quote:
It is close to 10K.
GD Sir, please share more details. Where did you get it done and any online links to the kit you got installed. Can the same be installed on the Safari too? What modifications need to be done? Warranty issues?
Old 24th February 2013, 15:13   #155
Senior - BHPian

I got it done at my regular accessories guy - Deepak Batra of Batra Car Care. He has outlets both at Gurgaon and Greenpark, New Delhi. If you so require, I can PM you his contact number

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post

Where did you get it done and any online links to the kit you got installed.
It can be installed on any vehicle. Since Safari has twin HLs, non-motorised HID bulb shall be used. No modifications as such are required as the HID kit comes with all the necessary parts. I've no idea about warranty issues as I've never bothered.

Quote:

Can the same be installed on the Safari too? What modifications need to be done? Warranty issues?
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 15:20   #156
BHPian

Quote:
IHe has outlets both at Gurgaon and Greenpark, New Delhi. If you so require, I can PM you his contact number
GreenPark and Gurgaon both suit me. Please pm me the details. Do you recall the model no. of the kit?
Old 24th February 2013, 16:08   #157
Senior - BHPian

What I meant was GreenPark and Gurgaon are in Delhi/NCR. I was not referring to the ones in Shillong...

Quote:

GreenPark and Gurgaon both suit me. Please pm me the details.
No I don't. You just tell Deepak to install the same kit that he installed in my Scorpio.

Quote:

Do you recall the model no. of the kit?
Old 7th May 2013, 21:39   #158
Senior - BHPian

The Bull II logs 29000 + kms in 26 months and is due for its 30K service. Booking done at Sterling Motors, Gurgaon for tomorrow. The gearbox mount needs to be replaced. The warranty shall be invoked or else the Riot Act will be read.

Hope to complete the balance 31K Kms this year and bid good-bye to ASC.

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th May 2013 at 21:43.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:28   #159
Senior - BHPian

8th May, 2013

TB II clocked 29900 kms on the odo yesterday and was due for its 30k Kms service.

I called up SA Ravinder yesterday noon and booked the truck for today. I was asked to come in by 08:45 am and made it by 9. Being a week-day, there were hardly any vehicles and immediately Ravinder came with the job card and noted down all my concerns. Though the 30k kms service was a routine job except the replacement of differential oil, I insisted on engine oil & oil filter replacement, & Air filter replacement. I also had issues with the gearbox mount.

I did not go to the lounge and instead remained with TB II. The truck was raised on the lift and the mechanic immediately started checking the underbelly closely and periodically tightened some nut & bolts. The gear box mount was closely inspected & declared ok. This went on for almost 20 minutes and then the lift was lowered. The front brake pads were removed, cleaned & refitted. Routine service work started. By 11:30 TB II was ready to move out of the bay as I had refused washing. In the meanwhile billing process had started. TB II came out and we again went for a TD. Everything was fine. Settled the bill and moved out by 12:00 pm.

Went straight to my FNG Rakesh. I wanted to get the washing done there and also to discuss something that I had observed at Sterling when the truck was hoisted on the lift. All along I had been hearing that mHawk doesn't have any greasing points. I was surprised to observe greasing nipples on the propellor shaft and the cross. When Rakesh saw them he too was surprised. I immediately asked him to do the greasing. After washing the greasing was done. TB II was a year old and this was the first time greasing was being done. The cross & the propellor shaft coupler section were running almost dry..

After that went to Deepak Kataria (Star Wheels) a few meters away and got the Wheel Balancing, & Alignment done. Was back home by 4:45 pm. A very satisfying experience.

The damages:

1. Foam Air Cleaner********* Rs. 489.67
3. Oil Filter************************ Rs. 145.93
4. Maximile Feo Engine Oil** Rs. 1524.42 (6 ltrs)
4. Maximile Elite Differential Oil** Rs. 1160.44 (2 ltrs)
5. Paid Service****************** Rs. 1800.00
6. Various taxes**************** Rs. 658.26
------------------------------------------------
Total*********************************** Rs. 5778.72

Wheel Alignment etc.***** Rs. 500.00
Washing**************** Rs. 300.00
Grand Total********************** Rs. 6578.72

Happy Bull, Happy Owner.
gd1418 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 13:36   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Though the 30k kms service was a routine job except the replacement of differential oil.
Both the differential oils were changed, correct? I m asking this because there have been a few reports of Toyota ASCs changing only the rear diff oil.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 20:39   #161
Senior - BHPian

Both the differential oils were changed. I was on my legs (literally - no place to sit) from 9:15 till 11:45 am on the workshop floor, minutely observing & inspecting till all the work was done and the vehicle taken out for a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Both the differential oils were changed, correct?
You must understand that this is the famed M&M ASC and not some run-of-the-mill Jap ASC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

I m asking this because there have been a few reports of Toyota ASCs changing only the rear diff oil.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 22:02   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised to observe greasing nipples on the propellor shaft and the cross
Hi Gd,

Thanks for the update. Is this not mentioned in the maintenance/Service manual? I ask this as, in my 4 years of mHawk ownership I never got this done and would not have missed my eye if mentioned in the fabled book.
Old 10th May 2013, 11:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

As I mentioned earlier in my post, some very learned m-haw-haw owners, in the past, said that the prop shaft does not need greasing and hence is devoid of greasing points. That was when I had not even thought of buying my second Scorp.

And the fabled "Holy" book doesn't even mention anything about.

I had some issues with the gearbox mount hence had it ramped up to the full at this service. While the grease apes were at their job, I did a thorough inspection of the underbelly and that too very minutely. In the course of that inspection, I found these greasing points that totally surprised me. Because the people who mentioned about not having the need to grease were not newbies but veterans in the field of Scorpio. And I took their word at face value.

So when I made this discovery, I asked the ape working on my truck and he said - " The greasing points have always been there in all models of Scorpio, but neither we nor any other ASCs have any provision to grease.

Normal customers don't even know and ask about it (implying that I was one of the abnormal ones).

The few who ask, we tell them that greasing is not required and if at all the problem occurs we change the cross.

If one of the abnormal ones come over, we suggest them to get it done from outside ".

So, after that when I took the truck to my FNG for washing, I asked him to do the greasing. I wasn't surprised when greasing was done, no residual old grease came out, implying the system was running dry...

In view of this, I suggest you to immediately get the greasing done for your m-haw-haw.

p.s. am still kicking self in the back for just taking some statement at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

Hi Gd,

Thanks for the update. Is this not mentioned in the maintenance/Service manual? I ask this as, in my 4 years of mHawk ownership I never got this done and would not have missed my eye if mentioned in the fabled book.
Old 10th May 2013, 19:56   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the fabled "Holy" book doesn't even mention anything about.
Thanks GD! I only hope M&M gets these into their next service manual print version! These are critical failure modes for the car and we are left with no recourse
Old 11th May 2013, 11:09   #165
Senior - BHPian

I guess the omission is kinda deliberate, because if it is mentioned in black & white, then even those "normal" customers shall demand for the same. This shall mean an installation of greasing equipment at the ASC.

Surprisingly, at Koncept, NOIDA and at Sterling, Gurgaon I did not see any provision for greasing.

Let me tell you something about my Amby days. Amby had a quite a few greasing points including the steering rack, ball joints etc. I used to get my Amby serviced at Modern service station on Janpath, New Delhi.

They had four bays for servicing and each bay had a pressurised line for greasing. That was then and now the technology has advanced many times over. The so-called State-of-the-Art ASCs, unfortunately don't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

Thanks GD! I only hope M&M gets these into their next service manual print version! These are critical failure modes for the car and we are left with no recourse

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks