Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 23:33   #1516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark63 View Post
I am using a rear view camera connected to worldtech LCD monitor. The monitor also has provision to add one more camera.
How does the camera power on and off? Usually reverse cams take power from the reverse lights. What has been done in your setup? How much did the setup cost?
Old 26th October 2013, 23:52   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
I am using a rear view camera connected to worldtech LCD monitor. The monitor also has provision to add one more camera. I have added an additional camera below the left rear view mirror looking forward and the image is viewable in the LCD monitor. This additional camera image can be viewed in V1 where as rear camera view is viewable in V2.
Here are the photos of the actual view from outside the car, driver's view, image of the scene on the monitor. The advantage of using this arrangement is it gives a good view of left corner of the front bumper which is very difficult to visualise even for experienced drivers. Interested can PM me for more details.
Could you please share the details here.
so that it will help all .
Old 29th October 2013, 11:08   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Could you please share the details here.
so that it will help all .
The rear view camera & LCD monitor i fixed earlier for Rs.3500.00 or 4000.00 earlier. The additional camera has cost me about Rs.1000.00. This camera is fixed in a housing which has cost me Rs.30.00. It is plastic housing bought from local market. May be you can get it from SP road also. This housing is fixed to the bottom plate of the left rear view mirror assembly. The LRV mirror has to be opened and the camera wire is taken in to the cabin along with the RV mirror adjustment motor wire. Once inside, the power connection is made from the cable feeding power to audio system. Essentially, the camera power is always ON but it hardly consumes a few milli amperes and is of no concern.

The world tech monitor has multiple channels V1/V2/SD for viewing videos. When reverse gear is engaged, the display changes to V2 automatically. Once gear is changed to forward, the display will go back to whatever it was displaying earlier. The only hitch is worldtech monitor does not remember the channel selection and defaults to SD card mode on power up. So on every start up, the channel V1 has to be selected for viewing the front camera image. That is not really a problem since I will look for this input only when I am in a tight spot.
The installation has cost me a couple of hundreds more. But it has given me lot of confidence while maneuvering in tight places.
Hope this helps. Ask me if any further details are required.
lark63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:17   #1519
BHPian

That is my LUV ! (just for fun!)
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-20131029_173818.jpg  

Old 30th October 2013, 00:26   #1520
BHPian

lark , I loved the bumper protectors , can you please post some more pics of it and the price you paid for it . Loved the bumper sticker also .
Old 30th October 2013, 21:51   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
lark , I loved the bumper protectors , can you please post some more pics of it and the price you paid for it . Loved the bumper sticker also .
These I have purchased from Reliance Autozone.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-image-2s.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-image-4s.jpg  

Old 31st October 2013, 04:24   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
I am using a rear view camera connected to worldtech LCD monitor........
Brilliant! I had thought of adding an additional set of 2 parking sensors on the front bumper, but then, this seems more innovative! Have seen this feature in high end Beemer's and volvo's. Lets see anything can be done to integrate the camera in a better way!
Old 31st October 2013, 23:28   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiAlmighty View Post
Hi, I am planning to buy Ertiga soon, possibly before Diwali.
If your usage is less, you better opt for CNG/Petrol as the diesel variants are around 1.8 Lacs more for the same variant OTR and does not make much sense.

You can order VXI with ABS and I believe that will be irrespective of CNG variant or not. When I checked with them, it was hardly 10k more for ABS. Airbag? Then only option is to go for the Z variants.

Regarding CNG, We have never heard of any bad reviews for Maruti CNG either right? There are N number of CNG Wagon-R's running and so, I don't think its that scary to consider that as Maruti seems to have taken care of many important aspects of engine to tackle corrosion too. Posting the link for your ref.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ng-ertiga.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Guys - One question.
Today I completed the first service of my Ertiga.

Can some one kindly confirm whether this is correct and only synthetic oil is used in Ertiga and also when you get the car from factory it is filled with Synthetic Oil and not mineral oil.

I know for sure that FIAT engine does not need fully synthetic oil, as punto that I owned used semi synthetic and vista uses the mineral oil instead. Please confirm.
As far as I remember asking my SA, he told me Maruti fills in Semi-Synthetic oil from factory but customers are to be advised (Read - Soft Push/Marketing) to change to Synthetic oil during their oil change.
I slightly remember seeing a notice in their service center reading something in the lines of "Better Synthetic if not Semi-Synthetic is ok".

Now, am not sure if that was for the Engine or just that Synthetic oil gives their dealers more money (Remember Maruti & Hyundai has become expensive now a days and Maruti themselves said that they will concentrate more on their after sales service revenue more than their sales due to slowdown in auto sector! - Reason for unnecessary services being pushed to customers unless questioned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
[*]Apart from split last row seats, will be nice to have the last row seats go back & forth like the middle (or front) row. This will offer flexibility to increase boot space without folding the seat. Don't know if this is feasible though
[*]Better design of the steering wheel to extend the horn pad towards the sides
[*]Storage/ cup holder next to the hand brake would be useful
[*]Bluetooth capability for the music system[/list]All the above are quite minor for me, except the gear change issue.
+1
And Maruti should have certainly utilized the space in the gear console better. At this price, Zdi should have come with some more goodies honestly.

Quote:
[*]On my diesel Ertiga, gearing is not very smooth & is notchy. Do others face this issue as well & will this get better over time or does it need fixing during my 1st service?
[*]As someone mentioned, a more powerful engine would be icing on the cake. Maybe bring out 2 versions of the Ertiga similar to the Duster
Yes, The gear is notchy in my month old Ertiga ZDI too, hoping it will become a bit smooth upon usage. It used to be the same way in a Diesel swift Gen 1.

Current engine is powerful enough according to many. It would have been good if there was an Automatic variant.

Quote:
I am using a rear view camera connected to worldtech LCD monitor.
Nice, Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by ganesc : 31st October 2013 at 23:34.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:10   #1524
BHPian

Does anyone have info on any upcoming refreshes for Ertiga? I am looking to get one, but wondering if it's okay to buy now or wait till next year Q1 to see if any updates coming.

Any info?
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:09   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Does anyone have info on any upcoming refreshes for Ertiga? I am looking to get one, but wondering if it's okay to buy now or wait till next year Q1 to see if any updates coming.

Any info?
If you can wait, wait for the auto expo. By then you will surely know
Old 4th November 2013, 20:18   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
If you can wait, wait for the auto expo. By then you will surely know
Thanks Raj. I could wait till Feb... But, it would take even more time to release the upgraded version isn't it? Infact, I could wait till mid next year too. No hurry at all...
Old 5th November 2013, 16:13   #1527
BHPian

I have completed roughly 15000kms in my Ertiga now.
I am having some difficulty with slotting in to reverse gear. Sometimes it gets resolved if I put it into 1st gear and then come back to reverse. Sometimes it gets really stuck. The only way is to move the car a little bit forward and then try again. I asked MASS about this but the SA could not give me a satisfactory reply. Some blah blah that engaging reverse gear is by design made difficult on maruti vehicles !! SA didn't have a clue about what he is talking. Anybody has this kind of problem ? What was the solution you arrived at ?
Also I find some minor sound from steering column but is not there always. Mostly I find it when maneuvering to park it inside my portico. May be I am able to hear the sound because of the quiet environment here. Don't know what to do since it is of transient nature. Not worried too much about this sound though since I used my FIAT Palio for many years with minor sounds from steering column. In that case also the service advisors did not have a clue!
Other than these minor issues, the vehicle is excellent. Recently I had traveled to HYD and back and it was a joy driving the vehicle.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th December 2013 at 22:05. Reason: Removing mention of high speeds. Pls. read the bold note in post. Thanks.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:41   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
I am having some difficulty with slotting in to reverse gear. Sometimes it gets resolved if I put it into 1st gear and then come back to reverse. Sometimes it gets really stuck. The only way is to move the car a little bit forward and then try again. I asked MASS about this but the SA could not give me a satisfactory reply. Some blah blah that engaging reverse gear is by design made difficult on maruti vehicles !! SA didn't have a clue about what he is talking. Anybody has this kind of problem ? What was the solution you arrived at ?
I have a 4.5 year old Swift Diesel with 90k on the Odo. I too face the issue in reverse gear. Not always, but at times. In those cases, i always move the car a bit - either by engaging the first gear or if the vehicle is moving itself when in slope - Move a bit, and the gear engages without any issues. I believe its more to do with the design than an issue.
username is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 13:46   #1529
BHPian

Quote:
I have completed roughly 15000kms in my Ertiga now..................... The top speed that I could touch was 165kmph and it looked as if that is the limit.
The Odo is close to 10K in my Jan 2013 Ertiga ZDI and I do not observe this issue, but this happens in my 2002 Wagon-R. Here is what I do :

- Press clutch pedal
- Slot the gear into Neutral
- Release clutch pedal
- Press clutch pedal
- Slot gear to reverse

Looks more like a issue with design, but really does not bother me as I use the above way around the situation. Will update if I observe this in my Ertiga.
Old 10th November 2013, 13:53   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 5 year old Swift Lxi . This problem is there from the day one with respect to 1st gear and the reverse gear. Although i never bothered to ask about this issue with MASS, i believe it is done intentionally. When you are at high speeds, there is a tendency of slotting into reverse gear instead of 4th gear, by mistake. I guess, to avoid this, they have intentionally done it like that. Although i struggle with 1st and reverse gears almost all the time, i have got used to it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks