Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 17:09   #466
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
One of my friends recently bought an Elantra which has done 2000kms already. I met him recently and he mentioned that he was getting about 11kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic with 100% AC and about 14kmpl on the highway.
Is that an Elantra crdi or petrol? Also MT or AT?

I'm sure if its Crdi the economy should be better for MT as well as AT, though it ultimately comes down to the driving style.
Old 15th November 2012, 18:39   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
Is that an Elantra crdi or petrol? Also MT or AT?

I'm sure if its Crdi the economy should be better for MT as well as AT, though it ultimately comes down to the driving style.
Sorry, forgot to mention the variant. Its a diesel manual. Actually, I wasn't really surprised, because my I20 crdi gives me about 12.5-13 in bumper to bumper traffic though its pretty fuel efficient on the highway( I get about 17 with high speeds and AC on 100% of the time). I agree, it also depends on the driving style.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 22:10   #468

I just read a disastrous article on Hyundai Elantra on Indian Express. This is the link my cousin shared:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mi...s-dive/1026968

Though it is U.S. based news, but i am really concerned about its implication on the Indian model of Elantra. My cousin just bought the new Elantra in India and I am stunned at this revelation of Hyundai overstating the mileage. Have always been a fan of its i10 and i20 models. Does anybody know what is the Indian scenario? Please let me know so that i can advise my cousin accordingly.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:17   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikeya.bisen View Post
I just read a disastrous article on Hyundai Elantra on Indian Express. This is the link my cousin shared:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/mi...s-dive/1026968

Though it is U.S. based news, but i am really concerned about its implication on the Indian model of Elantra. My cousin just bought the new Elantra in India and I am stunned at this revelation of Hyundai overstating the mileage. Have always been a fan of its i10 and i20 models. Does anybody know what is the Indian scenario? Please let me know so that i can advise my cousin accordingly.
You shouldn't be too worried about it. Anyways, in India every manufacturer overstates the mileage. A lot depends on the way the car ii driven and the traffic conditions.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 10:48   #470
BANNED

Quote:
in India every manufacturer overstates the mileage.
Yes, but not as in the way Hyundai makes the claims! They are claiming i10 as the highest mileage car, and we all know what it gives in real life.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 11:26   #471
Senior - BHPian

Guys get this too
Lovely awesome. Have seen it in a friend's car.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-292784_10151252982034085_1765237600_n.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 12:17   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Yes, but not as in the way Hyundai makes the claims! They are claiming i10 as the highest mileage car, and we all know what it gives in real life.
couldn't have agreed more!

Quote:
You shouldn't be too worried about it. Anyways, in India every manufacturer overstates the mileage. A lot depends on the way the car ii driven and the traffic conditions.
I agree completely with you, it depends on how you drive and also the terrain you are driving on, but such instances of big brands like Hyundai cheating their consumers is unacceptable. I think the current indian versions of the Hyundai cars should also be checked for discrepancies. I think there should be some agency who keeps a cap on the extent of error allowed for cars. Like there is for every other industries like pharmaceuticals etc.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:10   #473
BHPian

Quote:
couldn't have agreed more!
I agree completely with you, it depends on how you drive and also the terrain you are driving on, but such instances of big brands like Hyundai cheating their consumers is unacceptable. I think the current indian versions of the Hyundai cars should also be checked for discrepancies. I think there should be some agency who keeps a cap on the extent of error allowed for cars. Like there is for every other industries like pharmaceuticals etc.
How about first understanding what EPA figures mean - http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...e-test-6651300

There have been many reports on Elantra's Economy actually being quite close to their promoted numbers in US... Though I have no idea about India, not yet.
zen kobane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 10:29   #474
BHPian

Quote:

agree completely with you, it depends on how you drive and also the terrain you are driving on, but such instances of big brands like Hyundai cheating their consumers is unacceptable. I think the current indian versions of the Hyundai cars should also be checked for discrepancies. I think there should be some agency who keeps a cap on the extent of error allowed for cars. Like there is for every other industries like pharmaceuticals etc.
Not sure if I understand the cause of concern especially in the India context. AFAIK the FE figures that are published are usually the ARAI certified ones. Agreed that they come with a disclaimer of "standard test conditions" but those would be same for all manufacturers & vehicles so a comparative view would be able to give real world figures - under similar operating conditions.
Old 27th November 2012, 18:14   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Not sure if I understand the cause of concern especially in the India context. AFAIK the FE figures that are published are usually the ARAI certified ones. Agreed that they come with a disclaimer of "standard test conditions" but those would be same for all manufacturers & vehicles so a comparative view would be able to give real world figures - under similar operating conditions.
My only concern is that there are chances that the mileage could have been bloated on the official channels of like websites, fan page etc and that it might vary a lot from "standard test conditions".
Old 28th November 2012, 10:13   #476
BHPian

Quote:
My only concern is that there are chances that the mileage could have been bloated on the official channels of like websites, fan page etc and that it might vary a lot from "standard test conditions".
Actually I have not seen them quoting the FE anywhere on their website etc.

Quoting from their website on Eon -

"Hyundai has been acclaimed pioneer in making fuel efficient and safe cars for its customers. Further to our commitment Hyundai EON is a car powered with mileage friendly frugal engine and coupled with inbuilt functions for eco-efficient driving. Starting from the core body development stage of the vehicle no stone has been left unturned to provide maximum safety"

So in essence a lot of talk & no figures.

My wife's i20 petrol struggles to give much above 10 Km/l in city traffic with aircon. My dad's (old) verna diesel gives 14 - 15, while a friend's similar petrol model never goes beyond 10 - 11 in similar conditions.

Looks like the diesels for Hyundai are at par in FE compared to their petrol counterparts which seems below par for their segments.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:05   #477
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Looks like the diesels for Hyundai are at par in FE compared to their petrol counterparts which seems below par for their segments.
Beautifully framed the scenario!

Giving a stylish outer shell and throwing in features may satisfy many, but not all, for sure. I need a powerful-yet-fuel-efficient engine, good driving dynamics, safety features and cheaper ownership costs. Hyundai is near-zero in most of these aspects, IMO.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:04   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Beautifully framed the scenario!

Giving a stylish outer shell and throwing in features may satisfy many, but not all, for sure. I need a powerful-yet-fuel-efficient engine, good driving dynamics, safety features and cheaper ownership costs. Hyundai is near-zero in most of these aspects, IMO.

And which sedan in the Elantra price bracket gives all these in your point of view?
Hyundai scores very high on safety and maintanance costs .It also offers decent handling though its not the best and is not near the germans.if you are looking puerly for performance and handling then i think a skoda/vw will be the best but cost of ownesrhip could be something of a worry.Hyundai is a mix .. scoring high on some parameters while average on some.
Old 28th November 2012, 14:43   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
And which sedan in the Elantra price bracket gives all these in your point of view?
Hyundai scores very high on safety and maintanance costs .It also offers decent handling though its not the best and is not near the germans.if you are looking puerly for performance and handling then i think a skoda/vw will be the best but cost of ownesrhip could be something of a worry.Hyundai is a mix .. scoring high on some parameters while average on some.

Got my Elantra Diesel Auto , White 2 weeks ago. My initial impressions are

1. Have done about 1000 Kms since then and my Mileage is 10 KPL. . My running has been all in the city with the A/c on 100 % of the time. This may improve after the 1st service but not very hopeful.

2. The car runs very silently and all the gizmos work well. The AC is very effective and the cooled front seats are a boon.

3. Getting the right position for driving is a bit of an issue as the seat seems quite high.

4. The rear suspension seems a bit more bumpy than the Test Car. The recommended air is 32 all around, but I have reduced the rear to 30 to see if I can improve the ride a bit.

5. The tire noise is Quite a bit but I will have to live with it , till these wear out.

6. I have had no issues with the Power at all. The car is light and easy to drive in the Mumbai traffic and I have kept it on "Eco " mode right since I got the car.

7. Found the brakes a bit weak . Maybe I am not used to the lightness of the vehicle as I have driven a Skoda for the last 5 years.

8. Rear leg space is more than enough and the car keeps quite cool in the back.
Old 29th November 2012, 02:47   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcecpl View Post
Got my Elantra Diesel Auto , White 2 weeks ago. My initial impressions are

1. Have done about 1000 Kms since then and my Mileage is 10 KPL. . My running has been all in the city with the A/c on 100 % of the time. This may improve after the 1st service but not very hopeful.
Congratulations buddy!

Share some pics soon, and please don't disappear with your new baby, just like others! Post some more impressions on CRDI AT, maybe about the shiftronics?

Lets hear some feedback

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks