Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 10:49   #511
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Recently went on a trip to the hills (Barog in Himachal) and I drove my uncle’s Elantra petrol automatic for some distance – so thought should give some views about the drive.

Disclaimer: I am used to diesel vehicles (currently driving Punto 75 HP & Sumo Grande MkII Dicor), so the Elantra petrol automatic was super smooth for me. Someone used to driving petrol vehicles might have a different opinion.

• The colour of the car was bronze and it looked great. I was comparing it with the Titanium colour of Honda City and this is a lighter shade which my uncle thinks looks like a shade of light pink under some light conditions. But overall I like this colour – not too dark or light

• Space inside is fairly decent, though the fifth passenger at the rear would not be very comfortable due to the slightly raised portion where the armrest folder into the seat and also due to a small hump on the floor and the rear A/C ducts. One does feel a bit hemmed-in at the rear seat due to the rising window-line and low seats – short people will find it difficult to look out (especially on a scenic route) as was the case with the grandmother travelling with our uncle. I was impressed with the rear seat headroom though – there was some space even with my turban on and I’m 5’7”. Though the view for the driver out of the rear windscreen is not that great as it is sharply raked.

• Coming to the climate control, it was very effective with two rear A/C vents between the front seats and vents under the front seats cooling the rear sufficiently and also fairly fast. The fan speed was really fast when the ACC unit was turned on after the car was parked under the sun – but the noise was quite refined and not annoying.

• The automatic comes in the fully loaded version so it had all the bells and whistles including 6 airbags, ABS+EBD, ESP, hill hold, dual zone climate control, electrically adjustable driver’s seat (one can raise the seat height quite a lot – but so much as to see the bonnet), ventilated seats (the feature I liked the most), audio controls on rear seat armrest, etc.

• One feature I read in the manual and knew would surely come handy when I was driving and my uncle had to take a call privately as the mic is located on the roof above the driver’s seat and it was not very clear to the caller if someone from the passenger seat was talking – may be it was also due to changing signal station on the highway as one was driving at high speeds. One has to press the green call button on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds and the call is not taken via the cars bluetooth system and one can answer the call on the mobile phone itself.

• Didn’t try the cruise control feature as there wasn’t any decent stretch with no/very less traffic – also was a bit apprehensive about using it on our unpredictable highways as one would have to intervene every now and then due to the erratic traffic conditions & wild-life!

• A curious omission, as in all other Hyundai’s, is the fuel average display on the MID. It is there in the version sold in the US/Europe (I had downloaded the US owner’s manual to read about the tip-tronic transmission system before driving the car). One view I read on Team-BHP itself is that Hyundai’s are generally not very fuel efficient that is why this feature is skipped in the Hyundai’s sold in India. By the way the average that we calculated on the way back came to 10.3 kmpl which was a mix of highway (70%) and hill (30%) driving. On the other hand our Sumo Grande mkII gave 11.9 kmpl. The Elantra was only about a week-10 days old with little miles under its belt.

• The keyless entry system severely limits the range at which the car can be opened – the key has to be in very close proximity so as to allow unlocking. Though this has been done in terms of safety – we thought it was a bit irritating as compared to normal remote locking wherein one can lock / unlock the car from a distance – say from third floor or a distance. They could always program it in a way that the key has to be in immediate proximity for start the car – not to unlock.

• The build quality of the car is fairly decent with soft touch plastics and light brown/cream coloured leather seats. But somehow I didn’t think one was getting their money’s worth (petrol auto costed almost Rs 17 lakhs on-road). I could feel a sharp edge at the top of the speaker cover on the rear doors. The car tips the scales at around 1300 kgs which is fairly decent and not as lightweight, which helps when cruising on highway and over bad roads.

• Coming to the ride – being a semi-independent suspension the ride was pretty good. Me and my uncle concurred on this fact and I told him how my Indigo and his older Elantra also had independent suspension which should ideally be one of the main criteria behind upgrading from say a hatch to a sedan. All the current crop of hatchback derived sedans have basic torsion beam suspension and I for one would not like to plonk close to a million rupees if a hatchback and sedan has the same suspension setup and one will be chauffeur driven for most of the time. The only bit I didn’t like was a slight jiggle when the car went over a pothole at high speeds – I believe European cars would handle this scenario in a slightly more refined manner.

In comparison to Sumo Grande mkII, the Elantra’s ride was quite mature and fairly comfortable. In Grande’s middle row I could feel the bumps and bobbing on undulations, which is expected from a basic leaf spring suspension at the rear. On the lighter side my dad said that there ought to be some difference between a Rs 7 lakh and 17 lakh vehicle. Also the Elantra didn’t bottom-out anywhere even though it was loaded up – we had chosen this destination as the route has good roads.

• Ingress and egress is not as easy as say in a Corolla which has slightly higher seating. My parents used to the Sumo Grande felt the car to be awfully low, but I being used to the Punto, found it to be O.K.

• The handling was fairly neutral (I didn’t drive much in the mountains) and the electric power steering was not so inert or overly light at high speeds. But I definitely like the feel and feedback from the hydraulic unit in my Punto. Maximum speed I touched was around 140 kph. I was of the opinion I was doing around 120 and I don’t look at anything but the road while driving at high speeds. Later my father told me that he was following at 130, so I must have been going faster than that.

• The acceleration was a bit disappointing for a car with 147 BHP and decent torque (178 Nm-though less than FIAT’s small Multijet diesel) – considering I’m used to diesels and riding the wave of torque at low RPMs. I’ve driven the old Elantra, Accent, i10 & the Santro (all petrol). But for me, Santro is still the best driving Hyundai and it justifies the number of horses under its hood, plus the hydraulic steering is most feel-some. But I must say that the Elantra masks it speed quite well, which though is expected from a 1.5 million rupees car.

• Was driving a tip-tronic automatic for the first time and that also on the highway. The need to press a clutch pedal and change gears was felt for the first few kilometres but easily got used to driving the automatic, whereas my aunt had slammed the brake a couple of times while thinking it was the clutch pedal - it was a bit dangerous on the highway. I liked the response as compared to the automatic Honda City (dolphin model) I had driven once earlier – which is obvious considering one is comparing an old generation 4 speed automatic with a modern 6 speed unit. Though both cars crept forward when in Drive mode. The best part was that the gear change was seamless – I could never hear the gear change – the only indication was the RPM meter and on sudden acceleration or tip-tronic mode when one could hear a bit of engine noise inside.

• Tried the tip-tronic mode also for some distance but the automatic gear change itself is so seamless and with the six speed gearbox one can reach the power band faster – there was little need felt for the tip-tronic mode – after all, if one has bought an automatic, might as well use it as one. Also I couldn’t really feel the gear changes and the spike in power – the RPM needle was the only indicator. For me using the tip-tronic mode felt odd, as am used to manual gearshifts. But must say the engine-gearbox mapping is pretty good and one won’t feel the need to use the tip-tronic mode.

The two families own quite rare vehicles other than the Santros in each family. I was able to spot about 4-5 Puntos, 1 Sumo Grand MkII, but no new Elantra on the highway. The surprise on the highway was seeing so many Hyundai Vernas (after the ubiquitous Marutis & Innovas of course). Hyundai indeed is selling them a lot and it is reflected in the market leadership.
jessie007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 15:56   #512
BHPian

Folks,
One of my friend planning to buy Elantra Petrol AT in two weeks in Blr. Please let us any feedback on it, also do let us know any discounts and offers.
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:26   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Spy Pics: Elantra Facelift;

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-2014hyundaielantrafacelift2.jpg

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-2014hyundaielantrafacelift3.jpg

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-2014hyundaielantrafacelift1.jpg

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-untitled.jpg

Source: http://auto.hankyung.com/board/view...._home&no=17470

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd May 2013 at 22:29.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 21:55   #514
BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20130607_215216.png
Views: 10111
Size:  468.9 KB
Our brand new maharaja red elantra. Top end MT diesel with all the bells and whistles.

Interior pics will follow. Nothing new that has not been posted but fire sheer excitement I will post some pics for sure.
cars_crazy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 21:50   #515
BHPian

any updates on mileage or long term ownership reviews, particularly in the automatic diesel figures. Any help from fellow bhpians would be much appreciated
Old 13th August 2013, 14:55   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Spy Pics: Elantra Facelift;
Elantra Facelift unveiled

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-2014hyundaielantraavantefaceliftunveiledmedium_1.jpg

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-2014hyundaielantraavantefaceliftunveiledmedium_4.jpg

Exterior changes;

Updated LED headlamps & taillights, redesigned bumpers and restyled 17-inch wheels.

Interior changes;

Ventilated seats and a 3.5-inch OLED display, center air vent and the front center armrest have been re positioned.

Source
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 15:19   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Exterior changes;

Updated LED headlamps & taillights, redesigned bumpers and restyled 17-inch wheels.

Interior changes;

Ventilated seats and a 3.5-inch OLED display, center air vent and the front center armrest have been re positioned.

Source
Intro video
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ts-wheels.html

LED headlamps??! That would be first for this segment!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 15:27   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Intro video
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ts-wheels.html

LED headlamps??! That would be first for this segment!
Dont think it will have LED headlamps. Might be a typo in the ad. Projectors and LED DRLs might be. From the images, it clearly shows projectors with Audi type DRLs.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:33   #519
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Alloy Design does break new ground in being contemporary and a bit wacko.

A good overall design will look even better. The Elantra can actually do with a bit more exciting engine+gearbox combo though the exteriors and interiors are already fine.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:55   #520

Hyundai is making one of the finest renditions of the fluidic design even better. I hope they bring more colour options to India.
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:13   #521
BHPian

Does anyone has any information on the launch of the 2014 elantra in India? Is it worthwhile to wait for the updated model?

Any reviews or comparison between the petrol manual and petrol automatic in terms of what is lost and what is gained?

All Noida, Ghaziabad owners of Elantra please share your experience related to A.S.S. and running costs of the car.
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:00   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Does anyone has any information on the launch of the 2014 elantra in India? Is it worthwhile to wait for the updated model?

Any reviews or comparison between the petrol manual and petrol automatic in terms of what is lost and what is gained?

All Noida, Ghaziabad owners of Elantra please share your experience related to A.S.S. and running costs of the car.
Not sure about the release dates. Autocar say the expected dates are late this year or early next year. Also I personally think that there is no need to wait as the changes are not extensive. The LED lights can be sourced at a later point.
The 3.5 inch screen also is too small and you will not be able to change that to a 7 inch screen like I have done on my car. You might miss the ventilated seats at the rear though.
Also expect the price to be bumped up with the falling Rupee as the Elantra is a CKD.
Not sure of the ownership costs as my car has been only for the 1st service and was not charged a rupee.
I have Diesel top end manual. And it feels really good. Test drive the petrol manual and it felt good. They did not have the petrol auto for test drives. Hope this helps.
Old 18th September 2013, 21:18   #523
BHPian

I spotted a white color 2014 Hyundai Avante 2014 at Chennai GST road near Tambaram today evening. The moment it appeared on my rear view mirror I was skeptical is that an elantra? Later I slowed down to confirm what it really is, I was not able to take a picture since I was driving lonely with my hand phone in the backpack. I am sure it had Avante badge at left side of the tailgate, not camouflaged and it had TN33 ** **** as number but printed on white paper in black color font. If this was on testing then why not a TC registration number on a red board? Can any one confirm whether Hyundai's factory comes under TN 33 locality?
Old 18th September 2013, 22:16   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I spotted a white color 2014 Hyundai Avante 2014 at Chennai GST road near Tambaram today evening. The moment it appeared on my rear view mirror I was skeptical is that an elantra? Later I slowed down to confirm what it really is, I was not able to take a picture since I was driving lonely with my hand phone in the backpack. I am sure it had Avante badge at left side of the tailgate, not camouflaged and it had TN33 ** **** as number but printed on white paper in black color font. If this was on testing then why not a TC registration number on a red board? Can any one confirm whether Hyundai's factory comes under TN 33 locality?
Hyundai factory is near Chennai .The usual regn for Hyundai test mules are TN22 (i think). TN33 belongs to Erode District RTO which is 10 kms away from my town only . I will keep my eyes peeled and look for the vehicle.
Old 6th October 2013, 18:31   #525
BHPian

I am also looking for an upgrade and elantra is one of the contenders. But the downside to me is the inability to squeeze in a 3rd person at the back seat due to the wide arm rest and raised firm center portion of the rear seat. Any comments on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks