Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 12:29   #451
BHPian

Re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Need help once again. I have a Honda City Gxi 2005 60k kms done, retrofitted with a sequential Lovato Kit. It has clocked 21k on CNG. From last one month I am facing couple of problems:

1. Car Stalls in the 1st cold start of the day especially when swithover to gas happens.
2. Jerks intermittently when you shift gears. Relatively lesser jerks at higher speeds and aggressive at lower rpms.
3. With AC on, RPM dips too low that car shivers when the AC cuts off. Throttle body cleaning doesn’t help. No improvements

To summarize, If I drop power and demand again [Let’s say I am on 2nd and at 2000 rpm, I brake slightly coming down to 1000 rpm and accelerate then car starts coughing badly vert badly, as if it’s choking and about to stall but recovers if I press the clutch and pick up. Second scenario at higher speeds, say 80kmph, I take my leg off pedal and press accelerator again then it slightly hiccups but not that aggressively.

It has become bad lately and I can’t live with that any longer. Mechanic says it can be because of either the Plugs or the Ignition Coils. Is there a definitive way to check if the coils are in good shape or not. To add to misery, this model has 8 plugs and coils. How can you determine if at all any has gone kaput or is something else out of place.

Someone suggested fuel pump or flywheel as the culprit but I doubt that causing such issue. I don’t want to play in blind and have no solution and ending up paying for things that were good

Appreciate your help at the earliest

Rgds,
J

Old 9th July 2015, 13:56   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post

It has become bad lately and I can’t live with that any longer. Mechanic says it can be because of either the Plugs or the Ignition Coils.
First of all change the spark plugs. NGK ones cost 100 bucks each and have the gap adjusted by your CNG guy. Also check for the air filter. Try these first. If it does not help take the car to Honda (eg Linkway Honda Chandivali, avoid Solitaire Honda Andheri) and ask them to check the ignition coils. I was told by my 'Hass advisor' at Chandivali that if the coils are weak, we need not change all of them just the one's which have gone bad can be changed.

Good Luck.

Edit: Also does the car behave the same way on Petrol ?
Old 9th July 2015, 14:03   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
First of all change the spark plugs. NGK ones cost 100 bucks each and have the gap adjusted by your CNG guy. Also check for the air filter. Try these first. 'Hass advisor' at Chandivali that if the coils are weak, we need not change all of them just the one's which have gone bad can be changed.

Good Luck.

Edit: Also does the car behave the same way on Petrol ?

Yes behaves the same on petrol but not that bad as the problem would extrapolate on petrol. Do you have any contact at Linkway Honda Chandivali? I had been at Arya Honda but the guys said it would cost 6.5k just for checking and finding fault and car for 3 days at workshop. I found that too steep a price for checking.

Any other way you reckon for checking that ?

Rgds,
J
Old 9th July 2015, 14:08   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes behaves the same on petrol but not that bad as the problem would extrapolate on petrol. Do you have any contact at Linkway Honda Chandivali? I had been at Arya Honda but the guys said it would cost 6.5k just for checking and finding fault and car for 3 days at workshop. I found that too steep a price for checking.

Any other way you reckon for checking that ?

Rgds,
J
You can contact Linkway Honda Chandivali branch and ask to speak to Mr Ganesh Ghanekar there and explain your problem to him. He is my regular advisor for my Civic.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 14:31   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You can contact Linkway Honda Chandivali branch and ask to speak to Mr Ganesh Ghanekar there and explain your problem to him. He is my regular advisor for my Civic.
well noted. But it has to be either linked to coils or plugs or the wiring , correct?
Old 9th July 2015, 15:15   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well noted. But it has to be either linked to coils or plugs or the wiring , correct?
If you have changed the spark plugs and also had the throttle body cleaned then it has to be the ignition coils. I am quite sure it's not a major issue though the coils are expensive to replace but as i said before i had spoken to my HASS guy and he has said it's not necessary to change all the coils. Also make sure to get the ECU reset done by Honda after every throttle body cleaning.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 9th July 2015 at 15:16.
Old 10th May 2016, 23:45   #457
BHPian

Hello Bhpains,

I am in the market for a used Civic or City Ivtec. This is going to be my daily drive. The existing VTEC (2001) that I have been using is aging out. I have seen some Civic(MT) and City Ivtec(MT) in the market. 2006-09 Civics are in a range of 3-4.5 lacs while City are 4.5 lacs+, both with more than 60k ODO readings. I plan to convert it to CNG as petrol rates are not pocket friendly.

The heart wants CIVIC while brain says CITY. (CNG mileage on a friends City Ivtec is 21-23)

Now the real question, which according to you would be a good choice keeping in mind the cost of maintenance ( will keep it for 3-4 years), fuel efficiency and other factors.

Also please help me with what to check in used Civics.

TIA
Old 15th May 2016, 10:12   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Hello Bhpains,

I am in the market for a used Civic or City Ivtec. This is going to be my daily drive. The existing VTEC (2001) that I have been using is aging out. I have seen some Civic(MT) and City Ivtec(MT) in the market. 2006-09 Civics are in a range of 3-4.5 lacs while City are 4.5 lacs+, both with more than 60k ODO readings. I plan to convert it to CNG as petrol rates are not pocket friendly.

The heart wants CIVIC while brain says CITY. (CNG mileage on a friends City Ivtec is 21-23)

Now the real question, which according to you would be a good choice keeping in mind the cost of maintenance ( will keep it for 3-4 years), fuel efficiency and other factors.

Also please help me with what to check in used Civics.

TIA
I would recommend a Civic as it is a higher end vehicle. You would have more comfort, style and safety in a Civic. The prices are almost the same between a City and a Civic and this makes a Civic much better value.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 15:18   #459

Hi All - An excellent thread! Very helpful indeed.
This is my first post on Team-BHP site.

I have a Honda Civic S AT 2007 December model. I am the second owner, and had bought it at the spur of the moment, when I was about to buy a new vehicle. A chance discussion on the matter with a friend, helped me get this awesome machine for a reasonable amount. The first owner had clocked 73K miles with every service logged at Arya Santacruz.

I have crossed 82K now and intend to convert it to CNG[sequential] first, followed by denting/painting works and a change of tyres too.

Will be opting for LOVATO sequential kit at 45500 Rs., and probably get it done at Suraj Auto Gas, what with the good feedback from Frank. However seems, Arun Jain has shifted to Chembur, and there is one Mahendrabhai who manages the show at Bandra.

Will post photos in sometime too.
gary123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 16:05   #460
Senior - BHPian

Will be tuned in, Gary.
Mahendra works for Jain as far as I know. And jain visits cars for the final tuning.
Also, just spoke to jain. Make sure you recommend my name to him once you meet him. He has High regards for me and will do the best possible job for you.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 16:36   #461

Will surely do Frank. Thanks.
Any recommendation on denting/painting work please ?

Regards..
Old 16th November 2016, 16:51   #462
Senior - BHPian

i have a very good painter in town. if you are willing to travel. pm me if interested
Old 23rd November 2016, 18:44   #463

Hi Frank - Pardon my ignorance but how do I pm you.. Need your advice on my current CNG fitting done too.

I think I am not yet allowed the PM feature.

Suraj Auto Gas has done a good job, I feel no difference in driving. However Arun Jain has reverted back with the feedback that I definitely need to get my injectors replaced. Apparently, there were two injectors which were not up to the mark, and he replaced it with another 2 as a temporary option.

His employee Mahendrabhai showed me 2 injectors with RNA mark, which as per him are not good, and as an advice asked me to get all 4 replaced with a uniform brand - either DENSO or less costlier but difficult to get Hitachi, for better performance.

As I said, I am happy with the work, the CNG tank too is covered with a stitched cover and there is enough space left too, however It would have been great had the injector issue been highlighted in advance from a customer service perspective. I may overlook it, but there would be customers who would object on not being informed proactively.

Denso injectors are at 4500 [x 4 !!] each where as Hitachi Injectors are at 3000 each as per Mr.Jain. I am checking out sources else will source from him.

Advance paid -
45500 - for LOVATO CNG sequential kit.
500 - for CNG Gas.

Injectors cost is additional...

Last edited by gary123 : 23rd November 2016 at 19:03.
Old 24th November 2016, 11:43   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary123 View Post
Hi Frank - Pardon my ignorance but how do I pm you.. Need your advice on my current CNG fitting done too.

I think I am not yet allowed the PM feature.

Suraj Auto Gas has done a good job, I feel no difference in driving. However Arun Jain has reverted back with the feedback that I definitely need to get my injectors replaced. Apparently, there were two injectors which were not up to the mark, and he replaced it with another 2 as a temporary option.

His employee Mahendrabhai showed me 2 injectors with RNA mark, which as per him are not good, and as an advice asked me to get all 4 replaced with a uniform brand - either DENSO or less costlier but difficult to get Hitachi, for better performance.

As I said, I am happy with the work, the CNG tank too is covered with a stitched cover and there is enough space left too, however It would have been great had the injector issue been highlighted in advance from a customer service perspective. I may overlook it, but there would be customers who would object on not being informed proactively.

Denso injectors are at 4500 [x 4 !!] each where as Hitachi Injectors are at 3000 each as per Mr.Jain. I am checking out sources else will source from him.

Advance paid -
45500 - for LOVATO CNG sequential kit.
500 - for CNG Gas.

Injectors cost is additional...
Is it injector or Ignitors ? If it's Ignitors then I'll suggest you take a second opinion from HASS.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 14:21   #465

Hi Saurabh

It's Injectors.

Regards

Gary

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks