Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2012, 05:03   #31
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi Gordon, got it for 6.5k from an accessory store in Thane. Had seen it in some magazine and ordered it from him, took nearly 5 months to receive. The material is very tough, similar to the 3d floor mats and it can be rolled like a sleeping bag. We can fit atleast 5 cabin bags comfortably with room left for more. You may need to check locally for availability, as I have not seen the same bag anywhere else. The strings to hold the bag are tough and of ratchet type which makes it easy fasten and remove. Although there is no locking facility incase left unattended.

The E6 came standard with roof rails that time, surprising was that the E8 did not have roof rails then.

As for Snoopy, he loves the centre row since he gets sufficient place to lie down, massive windows to gaze out of and A/C flow from the front and top vents.
Mahindra did have a roof rack as an accessory - but it was an open carrier. The one that you have does look very great and seems very functional if it can carry 5 cabin bags. Will check with the car accessory guys when we go tomorrow to fit in the accessories - Music system, mats, horn etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats V12! I swear you'll never regret the decision. This color looks good on facelifted Xylo, wasn't that great on old model.

My family is deeply in love our 2009 Java Brown E8 and the journey continues happlily even after the 45000KMs mark without any major issues. And icing on cake is the tyre life and the longer service interval.

You're anyways used to Qualis but just wanted to remind you to be bit careful while taking sharp turn in high-speeds especially when the vehile is empty without load. Soft rear suspension needs bit of caution but its just matter of getting used and then you'll just down to 3rd and sweep curves
Its been almost 10 days and I am really enjoying driving the Xylo to office. I still need to experience the comfort as a passenger - but thats gonna be when we go for a long drive. And yes, I will be careful with the sharp turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
So Allen, finally you took time to write the review and i just happened to see it, couldve informed me . Nice. Congrats on your purchase.

Honestly, i have never loved the Xylo, infact hated it for its boat like handling and a noisy underpowered engine. I had driven one from the first lot of Xylos from Alibag to Mumbai and i was not impressed. But yes, if space is what you want and a practical comfortable people mover, then the Xylo it is (Actually Innova is better but a tad expensive as well)

I guess M&M have vastly improved the newer Xylo after taking feedback and many have been singing praises. Your review actually made me start liking the Xylo and no before you ask, i am not buying one.

Gsferrari from our forum recently brought a brand new Xylo and took it to Leh - Ladakh from Bangalore and back. You can get it touch with him as i think he faced some initial niggles which were eventually sorted.

Silver colour looks real nice and sweet.

So coming to the main question. When do i get to see it?

Cheers,
Raj
Thanks Raj! We have had a lot of discussion on the topic since we first decided to sell the Qualis. I remember our discussions always ended with all praised for the Toyota. Until we test drove the Xylo - I too wasnt a big fan of it. But the benefits that the Xylo had to offer over the Innova was far more than the Xylo's drawbacks. And this was the major deciding factor.

Good to see that you have started liking it already - - all I need to do is now just meet up and take you for a drive. I wont be surprised if I see the Gypsy on Team-BHP classified the next day kidding..

Will give you a call next week and we could catch up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Congratulations sir on the new purchase and thanks for a very detailed review.

Having owned two Xylos in the past, I must say, this is a car which will continue to surprise you over time with it's many capabilities.

And although it may not be able to match it's Japanese rivals in terms of build quality/reliability, it still holds pretty good on it's own. The best part is that Mahindra as a company is aware of this and has been constantly trying to improve.

One thing I did notice is that the one-touch down feature for the driver window isn't there on your vehicle (at-least not indicated in the pic) while it was there in my previous gen. Xylo E4!
2 Xylo's onwed in the past. I'm sure you must have had an amazing experience with them. Would be wonderful if you could share your experience on them. Yes, build quality / reliability of the Japanese products are way better than Mahindra - but at the price - there is nothing more VFM than the Xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Amazingly detailed and covered all of the points that I had thought about.

This is one vehicle which I wanted to checkout and team bhp had no indicators other than launched news.. which was very sad.

Anyway, I was checking out a 7seater for my family and Xylo was at the top.
I don't believe in paying 3 lakhs premium for Innova and I think Mahindra is not bad either on reliability.

The purchase did not happen because of lack of Vitamin "M" and I had other plans. But now the plan is to wait till Aug 2013.

Again although I was sold on the Xylo, I was treading uncharted waters as far as maintenance goes.

So, I will be following your ownership thread to know about maintenance costs and the problems (I pray that they be nothings or only minor niggles and nothing major).

Please do update everything and anything on your Xylo because there is no place like this where we can trust what we read.

Wishing you kilometers and kilometers of happiness on your Tank..
Thanks figo_mba! I will definitely keep this thread updated with as much details as possible. If you are planning to buy a 7-seater, I would personally suggest you look at the real 7-seater cars in the market - Innova, Xylo, Ertiga, Evalia. Probably by 2013, you have a lot of other options to chose from if there are new MPV/MUV's launched.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 20:37   #32
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloaverage.jpg

Saturday, 24th November 2012
Its been 2 weeks and the car has covered around 500 kms - speed not exceeding 60 kmph and driving only between Andheri and Powai during medium traffic. I did a tankfull 2 days ago and checked for the mileage - 8.36 kms / litre. The car had done around 343 kms from the day we did a full tank. I assume that since this is a new car and the engine has not yet opened up - the mileage is low.

The Xylo has 2 trip meters - Trip A and Trip B. The trip meter also shows how many kms were driven with the a/c on. Quiet a useful feature when you want to get an accurate reading of your mileage. I believe this feature would be more useful for those in the taxi business.

The Xylo gets its first mark at a traffic light today. An auto bumped into the rear of the car when I braked at a traffic light. Since it was at a very low speed I did not realise that the auto bandged the rear (remember the rear is miles away from the driver seat ).
The only way I knew the auto banged was within 2 seconds of banging - I noticed the rick guy making an Name:  1072.gif
Views: 4734
Size:  1.4 KB face.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylobanged.jpg

Accessories - ICE-ing
After 2 weeks of driving in silence and only listening to the engine sound - the car got its first present - a music system. We drove off to Milan subway in the morning and got the following accessories fitted :

Pionees DVH3490 Head Unit
  • Cadence speakers (400W) x 4 doors
  • Broadway IRVM
  • Steering Cover
  • Power Guard central locking system

Accessories still left to be fitted
  • Seat Covers
  • Floor Mats
Our initial plan was to fit in a music system with a screen either in the center or on the rear headrests. But decided against it - cos we would very rarely take the car out on drives long enough to require a screen. Going by that logic, we decided to only fit in a media receiver HU and a good set of speakers. The only problem was that this receiver would only be able to play music and did not have a video output. So just incase we decided to put a DVD screen at a later stage - we would also have to change the HU. So we finally went for a DVD receiver and 4 Cadence speakers.

The sound quality of the speakers are extremely good even at higher volumes. The HU comes with a long remote which fits perfectly in the slot between the seats.

The panels opened to fit the system
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylodoorpads.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloconsoleopen.jpg

The Headunit : Pioneer DVH-3490UB
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylomusic.jpg

The remote control
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloremote.jpg

The speakers : Cadence Momentum series (CS 3.65)
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylospeakers.jpg

The electronic antenna and Broadway mirror
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylomirrors.jpg

The steering cover
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylosteeringcover.jpg

The central locking remote - Power Guard
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylokey.jpg
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 15:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Pionees DVH3490 Head Unit
  • Cadence speakers (400W) x 4 doors
  • Broadway IRVM
  • Steering Cover
  • Power Guard central locking system

Accessories still left to be fitted
  • Seat Covers
  • Floor Mats

Hey V12, what about reverse parking sensors. I feel with the Xylo's size, it would be a boon to have parking sensors.
Also, a rear nudge guard is a compulsary add-on as you will end up getting small scratches thanks to the bikes, scooters and autos.
Old 28th November 2012, 14:27   #34
BHPian

Congrats V12!

Like you, I too was astonished by the space the 3rd row offers. Was inside the Xylo for more than a thousand odd KM's during one of our trips, and despite being 6.1 feet tall, I was more than glad to sit in the 3rd row during the entire trip. Of course it helped that our driver was a very cautious and mature fellow and never pushed the vehicle beyond 80 odd kmph, thus minimizing the infamous body roll.

Wanted to know if you or anyone else from your family has had any complaints so far, regarding the body roll?

Last edited by avisidhu : 28th November 2012 at 14:28.
Old 4th December 2012, 21:26   #35
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Xylo completes 3 weeks today and its been real fun to drive - on the highways as well as in trafffic. Another full tank - and the Xylo has returned only 8.15 kmpl in city driving. I have heard of Xylo's giving 10+ in city driving - not sure why we are getting such a low mileage.

Observation : Visibility

The best part about the seating position is that you get a good view of the traffic situation on the road ahead - so you can plan your moves. Rear visibility is a huge issue though - with its height and a small rear window - as I shall now demonstrate.

Finding a parking space in the city is very difficult. Even more difficult it is, to get out of it once the space behind and in front of you is occupied. Visibility in the front is great and it is easy to get a judgement and maneouvre out of the parking lot.

So you finally managed to find an empty space to park your vehicle.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloemptyspace.jpg

You return back to see there is already a car parked behind yours (a Team-BHPians).
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylocarparked1.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylocarparked2.jpg

Now to reverse, you either have to look through the mirror or turn back. Both ways - you will not be able to see enough to make a good judgement. The only thing that will be visible is the roof of the car behind.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloirvm.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylorearvisibility.jpg

Here is a scenario if you have a bike behind your Xylo.

ORVM - nothing
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylobikerear3.jpg Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylobikerear4.jpg

Turn around - nothing
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylobikerear1.jpg

If you get off the car and walk towards the back - you'll find a Pulsar 220 parked right behind you.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylobikerear2.jpg

Maybe M&M can keep this in mind when they revamp the Xylo. A larger glass may not necessarily improve visibility when you turn around - but with a larger IRVM - you would get a better view of vehicles behind you.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloglassmodify.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Hey V12, what about reverse parking sensors. I feel with the Xylo's size, it would be a boon to have parking sensors.
Also, a rear nudge guard is a compulsary add-on as you will end up getting small scratches thanks to the bikes, scooters and autos.
Nudge guards ; Yes, they are very much useful in preventing minor dents, scratches on the body. But if the impact is severe - the guards can cause more damage to the vehicle than a direct impact on the body. Please correct me if I am wrong - aren't bumper guards bolted to the chassis? In case of a sever impact - wont the guards take the impact, save the body, and cause damage to the chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Congrats V12!

Like you, I too was astonished by the space the 3rd row offers. Was inside the Xylo for more than a thousand odd KM's during one of our trips, and despite being 6.1 feet tall, I was more than glad to sit in the 3rd row during the entire trip. Of course it helped that our driver was a very cautious and mature fellow and never pushed the vehicle beyond 80 odd kmph, thus minimizing the infamous body roll.

Wanted to know if you or anyone else from your family has had any complaints so far, regarding the body roll?
Thanks Avisidhu!
I have not yet felt any body roll in the Xylo - but thats maybe I've been keeping the car under 60 and mostly on straight roads. Will definitely post a driving experience once we have covered up enough kms.

Last edited by v12 : 4th December 2012 at 21:29.
Old 10th December 2012, 02:02   #36
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

4 weeks into our ownership : Minor Squeaks, Low Mileage and LED puddle lamps.

Our Xylo completes 4 weeks today and is nearing the 1000 km mark. Not faced any issues yet - except for some sqeaking sound from somewhere within the cabin. Our 12 year old Qualis - till the day we sold it - never developed any rattle or squeak. The Xylo is not even a month old - and we get to hear these irritating sounds.

The major update that I want to share (and a disappointing one) is the mileage. The car has run 209.5 kms in this week and used up 26.75 litres of diesel. Thats only 7.83 kmpl - which is lower than what we used to get in our Qualis - a consistent 8.5 every week. Most of our driving is within the city with the a/c on - but this is really very low. I assumed that the mileage would increase as we covered more kms - but this is reducing with each fill-up. For the first 500 kms it returned 8.36 kmpl, then for the next 274 kms it returned 8.15 kmpl and now for 209 kms its reduced further to 7.83 kmpl.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-trip.jpg

LED lights under the doors.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloled1.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloled2.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 10th December 2012 at 02:23.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 07:56   #37
BHPian

v12, Congrats on a fabulous purchase and superb ownership review.
Wish you many many miles and smiles with the car!!

Any plans on getting a rear view cam installed? The picture of pulsar parked behind is scary.
pradyblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 11:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4 weeks into our ownership :
The major update that I want to share (and a disappointing one) is the mileage.
Don't worry. After the first service it will open up and you will get good FE. In city you will get 10-11kmpl and on highways 14-16kmpl.

Atleast this is the case with my Xylo and many of my friends Xylo.

Good to see that you are enjoying it.

Last edited by shishir_bn : 10th December 2012 at 11:45.
shishir_bn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 23:47   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
v12, Congrats on a fabulous purchase and superb ownership review.
Wish you many many miles and smiles with the car!!

Any plans on getting a rear view cam installed? The picture of pulsar parked behind is scary.
Thanks Prady!
It is more scary when reversing at public places espeically when there are kids around. We have not yet decided on whether to go for parking sensors or rearview camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Don't worry. After the first service it will open up and you will get good FE. In city you will get 10-11kmpl and on highways 14-16kmpl.

Atleast this is the case with my Xylo and many of my friends Xylo.

Good to see that you are enjoying it.
Thanks for sharing this feedback Shishir!! Feeling a bit relieved - the only scary part was that the mileage was reducing everytime we refuelled. Will wait for the 1st service to be completed and re-check the mileage.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 12:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Also check the tyre pressure. Low pressure will affect the FE!
Did you refuel from the same pump every time? Try changing bunk and measuring the FE. Also it is better if you compute the FE by filling the tank to the brim so that there is no space for even a drop more to go in! This way you can compute the exact FE
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 00:19   #41
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the tip Sagar - will check for the tyre pressure. Whats the recommendable pressure - 35 psi? We have been filling regular diesel at the same pump - I am not sure if changing the pump would make a difference - but will give it a try the next time.

Here is the latest mileage update - 284 kms of highway run and the Xylo consumed 24.7 litres of diesel. Still very less compared to the 14-15 kmpl that I have heard of - but will wait for the 1st service to be completed and recheck if there is any improvement.

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo284kms.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo247l.jpg
Old 14th December 2012, 10:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the recommendable pressure - 35 psi?
35 psi if only 1 or 2 guys are sitting. If more than 4 or more luggage with only 2 members on-board then make it 36-37 depending on the situation.

If the whole truck is filled with people and luggage then make is 38/39psi.

Also it is written on the driver side door. Check that out.
shishir_bn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 00:36   #43
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Shishir!! Tyre pressure set to 35 psi since most of the time its only driven with 2 on board. More than a truck, it feels like a Volvo bus to me

Have been too busy so couldnt post any updates. Did a refill after the car covered around 65 kms and was shocked that it consumed 12.18 litres of diesel i.e. 5.31kmpl. Anyways the high consumption could be due to the refill done within a small interval.

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo1216.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo1333646.jpg

After 6 weeks of ownership, I have to say that we are enjoying each and every bit of the space, comfort and the power that the Xylo delivers. Coming to the disappointing things :
  • The fuel consumption is getting worse.
  • Something in the interior keeps squeaking and it keeps getting louder.
  • There is a 'tak tak' sound while driving - and I can feel it under my right foot. I am not sure if the noise is from the suspension - since it comes even while driving on smooth roads and at very irregular intervals.
  • The quality of the interior (although looks good in pictures) is really of a very low quality - especially the fittings. Inconsistency in panel gaps can be seen everywhere - door trips, dashboard, seat belt covers etc (pics coming soon).
  • The rear door closes with a lot of rattle - which I think is just because of the number plate. Its bolted only from the top and hence rattles when the door is closed. Am sure this can be prevented by sticking a 2-way tape to the bottom of the number plate.
Has anyone experienced these problems in their Xylo? What was the feedback / solution from the Mahindra guys?

The Xylo got an extra pair of eyes last week - front fog lamps.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylofoglamps.jpg

The Xylo with its body cover after a thorough wash. The body cover seems to be of a good quality and covers the entire bus
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylowashed.jpg

The seat covers have arrived and will be fitted tomorrow.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloseatcovers.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 24th December 2012 at 00:47.
Old 24th December 2012, 07:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

v12, have you actually driven a Tavera / traveled in it? I wish to get an comparison with it to the Xylo with respect to ride quality for the passengers.

The Tavera is really bumpy, not that it has poor ride over bad roads, but a sort of wavy ride is always present irrespective of the quality of the road. Do you feel the same in your Xylo?
Old 26th December 2012, 01:00   #45
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey ramzsys, I have travelled in a Tavera on very few occassions - too less to get a good feel of the ride quality / comfort and make a comparision with the Xylo. But I can say it was as comfortable as the Qualis - if not more. The Tavera maybe bumpy only in the last row - which I feel would be the case in most of the UV/MUVs since the last seat is located behind the rear axle.

With regards to the wavy ride (or the boat like ride) - I havent felt it while driving or being in the front / mid row. However my brother does not feel the same about the last row. Its too shaky at the back even on slight turns - although I still have to experience the last row myself. My personal feeling is this could be the because of the Xylo's height and the high seating position.

......6th Week ownership report continued : Mileage improved and new seat covers installed.

Thanks to Shishir and Sagar for suggesting on checking the tyre pressure. Did a full tank today - and we got a mileage of around 9.09 kmpl in city driving.

The new seat covers have been installed and they look much better than the temporary cloth seat covers that we fitted. These new ones are stain and water resistant. Pics to follow.

341.4 kms and 37.54 litres of diesel = 9.09 kmpl
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-1677kms.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks