Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2014, 01:52   #121
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goamain.jpg

The Xylo just completed a ~1500 km trip to Goa and back last week. This was the perfect opportunity to test a couple of things about the car - long distance comfort, mileage, niggles, problems etc. The trip consisted of 6 people - my elder brother, his wife and daughter, younger brother and 2 close friends. The earlier day was spent
- loading the roof with the luggage,
- stacking the boot with water bottles and small bags.
- checking fluid levels (battery water, oils etc)
- filling up the front / rear windshield washer

Some pics of the trip :

The bags were loaded on the carrier, tied and covered with tarpulin - which started tearing off due to the wind.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylocarrier3.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa11.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylocarrier4.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa5.jpg

Breakfast break - where the Xylo's middle row turned into a mini kitchen to prepare sandwiches.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa10.jpg

Other pics
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa1.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa2.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa3.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa4.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa6.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa7.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa8.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa9.jpg

To sum up - the Xylo fared well and everyone enjoyed the drive. The car was very comfortable and there was room for one more person (me) - although I could not make it. 2 people in each row and everyone had enough legroom, shoulder-room - heck everyone had their own room, I should say. The main question that I asked my brother - a question which I am sure a lot of other people would ask - "How was the ride? Did it feel like a boat? Did you feel nauseous?" - NO, was the answer. My younger brother and a friend shuffled between the mid and the last row (which was used by my neice as her bed) - and they found the drive very comfortable.

We expected a lot of niggles to crop up in a long drive - but surprisingly there were none. There were no sqeaks, rattles from the interiors - except for the thud sound from the dashboard whenever it goes over potholes.

Mileage wise the Xylo returned a consistent 13 kmpl during the whole trip - which I still feel is less. On a long drive, it should have returned atleast 15 kmpl - but this is something we need to check once it goes for its 3rd service next week.

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-goa12.jpg
The white plate is the most distinguishing feature between our Xylo and a tourist one. The roof carrier was installed just for this trip - and will not be required anytime soon - hence we plan to remove it. Instead of keeping it lying around gathering dust and rust - we will have it installed in the Altura. Since it has roof rails, I dont think there should be any issues fitting it.
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 09:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
heck everyone had their own room, I should say. The main question that I asked my brother - a question which I am sure a lot of other people would ask - "How was the ride? Did it feel like a boat? Did you feel nauseous?" - NO, was the answer. My younger brother and a friend shuffled between the mid and the last row (which was used by my neice as her bed) - and they found the drive very comfortable.

except for the thud sound from the dashboard whenever it goes over potholes.

Mileage wise the Xylo returned a consistent 13 kmpl during the whole trip - which I still feel is less. On a long drive, it should have returned atleast 15 kmpl - but this is something we need to check once it goes for its 3rd service next week.
Yes, Xylo is a studio apartment for all 6 passengers. Cannot avoid her in long drives, my Fusion stays home .

As I have confirmed earlier, none of my passengers felt nauseous ever. In fact I was a third row passenger for most part of a drive from Kochi to Kodaikanal once and never felt bad. Where in I felt throwing out after a similar hi-range drive on Innova's third row. So the boat effect is more from a driving perspective than from a passenger's comfort.

13kmpl is not alarming as an average. With little more fine tuning and easy on trottle would push her to 15kmpl ideally. But not sure if you can expect 15 as an average in the overall drive.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 11:58   #123
Senior - BHPian

For 6 people, the Xylo is very comfortable. We have enjoyed our Goa trips and the luggage bag we have really makes life easy. We get a fuel average of 15 kmpl and our driving pattern is not exceeding 100 km/h.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 00:23   #124
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Xylo went in for its 3rd and last free service today. An appointment was fixed with the NBS Service Center in Sewri for today. We decided on a weekday since the service center is always booked on the weekend.

We had to reach the service center at 9 am to ensure we get the first slot. Left from home at 8 and reached the workshop just in time. After filling in the necessary documents and handing over the keys, we were directed to the customer lounge. We were asked if the car required a normal servicing or if there were any mechanical issues. After confirming that its just a regular service, our car was taken in at around 10 am. The Service Manager informed us that it would be taken for Quik Service which ideally takes around 3 hours. But since we did not have any complains - it would get done quicker.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service1.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service2.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service3.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service4.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service5.jpg

This is the first time that I visited the workshop and I was really impressed with the speed and professionalism that everyone did their job. The car was put on a 90 minute schedule and work started the moment the countdown began. The service was completed within the stipulated time - with 5 minutes to spare. Post servicing the car was taken to the washing area where it was lifted and the under body cleaned. The engine bay and the floor mats too were cleaned.

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service6.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-service7.jpg

By 12:15 pm the car was ready after which we had to make the payment. We met the service manager of the workshop to thank him for all his help - a real gem of a person. Very knowledgeable and helpful. He even agreed to come with us on a short test drive to ensure everything was fine.

Overall a very good experience at the workshop 3rd time in a row. I would recommend this workshop to all Mahindra owners.

Coming to the details of the 3rd service :
  • Fuel filter replacement - Rs 1324 /-
  • Oil filter replacement - Rs 164 /-
  • Engine oil change (Maximilefeo) - Rs 1541 /-
  • Copper Washer - Rs 40 /-
  • Windscreen wash - Rs 36 /-
  • VAT @ 12.5% - Rs 388
Total - Rs 3493 /-
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 04:16   #125
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

14814 kms of happy kms on the Xylo and no complaints till date. 2 small issues have cropped up :
1. The lbs fog light has gone kaput. So I guess its the rats again.
2. The rear wiper arm is misaligned a bit and rests at an angle when switched off. So when its switched on, it moved below the rear windshield.

The carrier has been removed and stored - stored because it does not fit onto the Altura.

The Xylo did 500 kms until the fuel gauge reached just a mm or 2 above the empty point. It consumed around 45 litres of diesel - so a good fuel average of 11.11 kmpl. This is a good improvement - hope it just keeps getting better.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-1394232360431.jpg  

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-1394232375439.jpg  

Last edited by v12 : 8th March 2014 at 04:34.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 03:17   #126
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-baleno1.jpg
The Baleno outside Mohapada Post Office (Panvel).

So you may be wondering whats a Baleno doing in a Xylo ownership thread!

16 months into our ownership and the Xylo is treating us very well. There have been no issues with the car - except for mileage, which seems to have improved after the 2nd service. The dealership experience, as mentioned in the opening posts were very good -,no delays or inconvenience right from the booking till delivery.

The only issue we faced was around the RC book - which had some errors and were returned for correction to the dealership. The dealerships agent misplaced the original RC book and they had to apply for a new one. It did take some time and effort to follow up and escalate the issue to have things rolling.

We got a call from our neighbor that the RC book had arrived at our residence by post - but since no one was available at home, it got returned. We got to know from someone that the Post Office would keep the returned mails with them for 2 days and would then dispatch it back to the sender (the RTO). Since it was more than a week we had got the call, we headed off to the Panvel RTO to collect our RC book. Our CNG'ed Baleno being the most economical and fuel efficient car was the most obvious choice for our 150 kms trip. You wouldnt believe but we actually spent more on toll than fuel.

When we checked with the Panvel RTO, they said that the RC book was not with them - it was already dispatched to our residence - and they had no record of any return email. They informed us to check at the local post office. We headed to the local post office - not knowing where it is. Reached the wrong post office and started making inquiries - wherein we were informed that our residence comes under a different post office - not very far away from this one. After actually searching for it all over the place - we finally found it (too small for us to notice). Finally we found our RC book. Checked the details and everything was exactly how it should have been.

After around a year of submitting the incorrect RC book, we finally have the updated and correct one.

A few updates :
Total Kms done : ~15,000
Total Months : 17
Last recorded fuel efficiency : 11.11 kmpl

To improve rear visibility we had installed a Broadway mirror - which is clamped on the original mirror. In November 2013, we installed parking sensors along with the mirror. The display on the mirror was good - but it was as useless as the original mirror. So the parking mirror was mounted onto the original mirror and the Broadway mirror was mounted on the parking mirror. Because of this the Broadway mirror is not very steady and keeps shaking or vibrating - which is a big pain in the eye. Need to disconnect the mirror or find a new place for it.

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-mirror.jpg
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 02:26   #127
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

A simple tip to improve rear visibility in city driving when travelling alone or just one passenger. Flip down the mid and the last row of seats and you will have a good view of the rear.

The flip side to this is that you (and probably others) will feel that you are driving an empty delivery van

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo.jpg
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 05:35   #128
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Xylo has completed 21 months and 17,000 kms - and going pretty strong. It took a hit from a Toyota Corolla last week when I suddenly braked and the Corolla guy was too close to avoid hitting me from the back. Not much damage - but the rear bumper got scrapped and misaligned slightly.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo6.jpg

This weekend we took it for a drive to Lonavala / Kalra. There were 10 of us and 3 cars to choose from. A friend had a Palio and I had to chose from the Baleno (due to low cost) and the Xylo (due to comfort). Choosing the Baleno would mean that we would have to travel 5+5 - which would be a bit uncomfortable - but would be very economical (I call it the Rs 300 Lonavala car). Choosing the Xylo would mean that we could do a 4+6 - but the fuel costs would be higher. Obviously comfort won and we did a 6+4 drive comfortably.

Diesel was topped up before the drive to get an accurate reading on the mileage. The Xylo had done 232 kms of city driving and consumed 32.72 litres of diesel - which meant a fuel economy of around 7.09 kmpl. We have tried all the options - but this is the most persistent problem in our Xylo. The mileage on the trip was obviously better than that in the city - but still a disappointing 11.78.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-img_20140805_052714.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo1.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo3.jpg
Does this pic need a watermark?

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo4.jpg
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo5.jpg
Old 5th August 2014, 22:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:

Diesel was topped up before the drive to get an accurate reading on the mileage. The Xylo had done 232 kms of city driving and consumed 32.72 litres of diesel - which meant a fuel economy of around 7.09 kmpl. We have tried all the options - but this is the most persistent problem in our Xylo. The mileage on the trip was obviously better than that in the city - but still a disappointing 11.78.
It looks either the FE calculation is wrong or there is some issue with the car. For me, it used to give consistently above 10 even in the bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic. But max FE figure never crossed 14..!!

How about the FE reading in DDA..? is it showing above 10 on these times too..? In my experience, if the DDA display shows consistently above say 11 means the FE will be around 10.8 to 11.2.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:41   #130
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Rajesh, the FE calculation is done on a full tank to full tank basis - no DDAS on the E4 model :(. I have heard of Xylo owners getting a consistent 10-11 kmpl in traffic and 14 on the highway. But I have never reached these figures .. Ever. Need to check with the service advisor on the next service.
Old 1st November 2014, 02:55   #131
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics of our drive to Lohagad Fort in August this year. With 7 on board and with A/C - the car managed a mileage of 11.48 kmpl.

Looking forward to fixing the roof carrier back on the Xylo. Why, you may ask? Wait and Watch

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-lohagad1.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-lohagad2.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-lohagad3q.jpg

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo2.jpg Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xylo1.jpg
Old 20th December 2014, 01:00   #132
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

So after my first flight to Bangalore, I am all set for my 2nd flight trip - and this time its not very far. Mangalore - our native place. Although we have been there a lot of times since childhood, each experience is different and more exciting than the last. So why is my flight trip on the Xylo thread - you may be wondering. Well, i'll spare you the story and come to the point. I will be flying to Mangalore - and the rest of my family will be driving down in the Xylo. Although I may miss the Mumbai-Mangalore drive, I will make it up by driving in Mangalore. Revives all the memory of travelling down in a Fiat, Maruti Omni (low and High roof), Maruti Esteem and Toyota Qualis.

So, the Xylo was serviced 2 weeks ago and engine oil was changed - we went in for Castrol this time (against Maximilefeo which was used in the previous services). Filters were cleaned / replaced. The carrier has been loaded onto the roof.

We will be there for 2 weeks and have already prepared the itinerary for the trip. Although we have been there a lot of times, it does help when you have your own vehicle. You can actually explore and go to places which were earlier thought to be far away. Places that we plan to visit :
  • Jog Falls
  • Kapu Light House
  • Malpe Port
  • St Mary's Island
  • Udipi city

Also, since my cousin has a Classic 500, I also plan to do some short rides to some places - especially Kodi Bengre. Nothing is 100% planned as of now - will take it a day at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-img_20141220_010558.jpg  

Last edited by v12 : 20th December 2014 at 01:07.
Old 7th January 2015, 04:41   #133
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

What's faster from Mumbai to Mangalore? Car or Plane?
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-car.jpg Name:  Plane.png
Views: 1764
Size:  200.7 KB

22nd December 2014
Its 1:00 A.M. I am still awake. Just finished packing my bags. Can't wait for the clock to strike 3. And that's when the race starts. The Xylo will be flagged off on its way to Mangalore. Come 7 o'clock and our Meru cab will be flagged off to the domestic airport where we board our Jet Airways flight to Mangalore airport and from there a cab home.

So what's the race all about?? We all know the plane is going to be the obvious winner here. But anyone who has watched the Top Gear challenges will obviously relate this trip to the car v/s plane challenge.

A couple of months ago we decided that we would spend Christmas at our native place in Mangalore. Well not exactly Mangalore - but a small place near Udipi. We have been visiting our native place very often(almost every year) since childhood and the best part of it would always be the drive. We have driven there in most of the cars we owned - Premier Padmini, Maruti Omni (low and high roof), Maruti 1000/Esteem and most recently our Toyota Qualis. It's been 2 years now since our last visit and also 2 years since we got the Xylo. So with everything planned, it was decided that we would drive down in the Xylo. But the only issue was that we all couldn't travel together. One reason being that my grandmother could not sit in the car for such a long drive. And the other reason being that we were 9 of us. So we split the travel into 2 trips.
  • 6 in the Xylo
  • 4 by flight

That way we all would enjoy a comfortable journey. The Xylo was serviced and prepared for the journey. The roof carrier which was stored away after the Goa trip was fitted back. Due to the small boot and the last row of seat being in place, we had to load most of the heavy luggage onto the roof. This is the disadvantage of the excellent last row leg room - it eats into the boot space. Anyways the boot requirement is a very rare occurrence and the good luggage carrier can compensate for it.

Trip reset to 0 and the Xylo awaits it's passengers
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-trip2.jpg Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-trip1.jpg

Flag off at 4:00 AM - The Xylo is flagged off. It will be driven by my dad, brother and his wife.

Flag off at 7:00 AM - Our Meru cab arrives at dot 7 to drop us to the airport. While we were on our way, the Xylo had already reached Pune.

Waiting at Mumbai airport : We reach the airport and were in for some bad news. Our flight was delayed by half an hour and that meant we would just be sitting waiting for the flight when the Xylo would be munching more miles. But who cared

We boarded the flight at 9:00 AM. I could imagine myself in James May's or Richard Hammond's shoes when the pilot announced that we are 30000 feet in the air and averaging around 850 kmph. Divide this speed by 10 and that's the average our Xylo would be doing. Not that it made me any more confident of our win.
Our flight took off at 945 and landed at Mangalore airport at around 10-50. We collected our baggage's and came out where our Chevrolet Enjoy was waiting.

By 1:30 P.M. we reached home - and the Xylo was almost reaching Dharwad. We had won the race

11:00PM : 19 hours and 948 kms later, the Xylo reached home.
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-trip3q.jpg Name:  Trip4.png
Views: 1576
Size:  235.2 KB

The Xylo really proved its long distance capabilities very well on this 2500 km trip. The ample leg room, head room, A/C vents on all rows, powerful engine - all these factors really ensured that the family enjoyed a nice and comfortable drive. The trip was a mix of all kind of terrain - highways, bad roads, worse roads - and the Xylo went through all of them without any problems.

At the end of the trip the Xylo had clocked 2,421 kms, returning an average of 11.52 kmpl.

So, the conclusion on what is faster? Well obviously there's no winner or loser here - this wasn't a fair race anyways. Without doubt the plane was faster than the car. But was it fun or interesting? No ways. The flight from Mumbai to Mangalore was just that - a flight. But the drive from Mumbai to Mangalore was more than a drive. It was a Journey - and that's whats the best part of the drive - The Journey.

I was thinking of starting a new thread in the Travelogue section. But since we did not stick to our itinerary and did not visit half the places listed above - I will update the pics on this thread itself.
Old 10th January 2015, 18:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tyre pressure set to 35 psi since most of the time its only driven with 2 on board.

Hi v12, great to see your Xylo faring well.

Regarding tyre pressure, I have been filling 42 psi in all the 4 tyres, for city as well as highway use. I feel this has improved the handling immensely, with far less bobbing and side-to-side swaying on uneven roads, compared to the handling with 35 psi filled by me earlier. Improves the FE as well. But mine is the older model suspension. I wonder if the same benefit would translate to your model as well.

Wishing you many more happy miles !
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 20:48   #135
BHPian

Quote:
So, the Xylo was serviced 2 weeks ago and engine oil was changed - we went in for Castrol this time (against Maximilefeo which was used in the previous services). Filters were cleaned / replaced. The carrier has been loaded onto the roof.
Could you please provide more information about the Service..? Like to know more on what all things checked / serviced and cost.

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks