Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2013, 13:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

@mooza, just wanted to ask one more thing. Why is that you have put the rain visors on the 3rd row glasses. The glass are butterfly glasses, I mean it opens outwards and will this visor not obstruct the opening?
Old 28th July 2013, 20:59   #77
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Mooza, could you share pics for #4 ? How does this help ?

I also didnt understand how did you do #5, and how did help.

Regarding #3, it can be a problem to keep the windows rolled down like that. When you keep the glass down by 1", the glass i now supported only on 3 sides, and is easier to break (when un-attended).
One may argue that if some one wants to break a glass, he can do it anyway, but why add to the risk ?
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-img_3633.jpg

Hey Condor, Thats Mooza's Xylo. The rain visors are really very helpful in the rains. At times when its raining heavily and the weather is cool - and you just want to enjoy a cool breeze without water entering the cabin -the rain visor is very helpful. Also in summer its possible to roll down the windows an inch - and its not visible from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
@mooza, just wanted to ask one more thing. Why is that you have put the rain visors on the 3rd row glasses. The glass are butterfly glasses, I mean it opens outwards and will this visor not obstruct the opening?
The rain visors make no sense to be installed on the 3rd row since they are butterfly windows. It obstructs the complete opening of the window and if forced, it may crack the visor. However they come in a set and they complete the overall look of the vehicle. It does look a bit incomplete when they are missing from the last row.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 21:05   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Also in summer its possible to roll down the windows an inch - and its not visible from the outside.
But that doesnt make it any less guess-able that the glass could be down an inch.
Old 29th July 2013, 19:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Mooza, could you share pics for #4 ? How does this help ?

I also didn't understand how did you do #5, and how did help.

Regarding #3, it can be a problem to keep the windows rolled down like that. When you keep the glass down by 1", the glass i now supported only on 3 sides, and is easier to break (when un-attended).
One may argue that if some one wants to break a glass, he can do it anyway, but why add to the risk ?

Hello Condor, #4 would help only for dark colored roofs like mine, I guess.
My roof absorbs far less heat after the silver colored stickering, I could confirm this by touching the roof even from the inside, so lesser load on the AC.

Regarding running the engine at higher rpms, I do this by up-shifting the gears at slightly higher rpms, and cruising at city speeds of 60 kmph in 3rd gear itself instead of 4th gear. Again, I do this just for the initial few minutes, to cool down the cabin. I guess this helps because the AC compressor is made to run faster at higher engine rpms, and maybe Rehaan's post (post no. 64) on another thread could throw some light on this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...timally-5.html

@shishir, yes, the openings are obstructed a bit because of the 3rd row visors, but this has not bothered us much since the aircon is on most of the time !

Last edited by mooza : 29th July 2013 at 19:43.
mooza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:40   #80
BHPian

[quote=v12;2961382]Initial Drive Report - Interior, Space and Comfort

Attachment 1015871

Since Space and Comfort was our priority - I will start the review with this and probably move onto the other details as and when we cover more kms on the car.

Front Seating
Please note that most of my views of the Xylo Will be in comparison with the Toyota Qualis which has been in our family since 12 years. At first glance the Xylo looks smaller and narrower and the first impression that you would get is that it would have cramped interiors. But park is side by side and you Will realise that it is actually wider than the Qualis. Its just that the height makes it look narrower. Getting into the Xylo does require some effort - its more of climbing and hauling yourself into than calling into it. This could be because of the higher seating position - so you have to use the foot board to get in. * Once you get in all initial impressions of it being a cramped vehicle disappear. In the driver seat you are seated much higher than any other MUV. You actually get a feeling of driving a big van than anything else - and I really liked the feeling. Although the seating is high and the huge windshield gives you a good view of the road ahead, you Will not be able to see any part of the bonnet. Everything that the driver needs is within reach - the placement of the music system, the hazard lights, the ac controls on the dashboard. Even the ac controls for the rear passengers are located above the front passenger seat so all you need is to stretch out your left hand. The front seats are very comfortable and do a good job in holding you very firm. I would have preferred the front seat arm rest - but then are a lot of features I would have preferred from the higher models and the price too would keep increasing. Maybe at a later stage , we would consider fitting these arm rest and the entire center console from the E9.

I am planning on getting a Xylo H8 with Abs and Airbags, the only thing worrying me is the maintenance of this vehicle.Please mention your experience with this vehicle. Another dilemma is whether to go for the 8 seater or 7 seater? How are the bench seats compared to the captain seats.
keshav1426 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:00   #81
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Keshav,

With regards to the maintenance - in the last 8 months, we have not faced any issues with our car. Its been serviced regularly at the Mahindra Service Center - below are the links to the 1st and 2nd Service :

1st Service - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3106640

2nd Service - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3191392

Depending on your requirement, you would need to chose between a 7 or an 8 seater. No doubt, the captain seats with its individual arm rests are much much more comfortable than the bench seats. The other advantages of the captain seats are :
  • More legroom for the last row passenger (middle)
  • More luggage space inside the cabin (considering the Xylo has a small boot)
  • Easy entry / exit - since you dont have to flip the mid seats to access the last row.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:13   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
I am planning on getting a Xylo H8 with Abs and Airbags, the only thing worrying me is the maintenance of this vehicle.Please mention your experience with this vehicle. Another dilemma is whether to go for the 8 seater or 7 seater? How are the bench seats compared to the captain seats.
Keshav, I own a Xylo H8 with Abs and Airbags and yet to do the 1st service. Its a 7 seater and I felt this is more comfortable as last row passenger will get more leg room. Another plus is that my kids can move easily to 2nd and 3rd rows. But if you need to carry more than 6 people, better go for 8seater one.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:25   #83
BHPian

Thanks you guys for the quick and honest advice, i think i will go for the 7Seater. I do have a fascination for the middle row Captain seats , my colour preference is either T.Red or the newly launched Dolphin Grey, MPL Chennai have confirmed 2weeks for Grey colour and 3-4 weeks for T.Red. So I should finalise by the end of the month.
Old 3rd August 2013, 23:19   #84
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Dolphin grey is an amazing color - but before you confirm the color, check with the dealers if Mahindra will be launching any new colors in the Xylo. I had seen pics of a XUV blue Xylo somewhere on the net - not sure if it was the official website or somewhere else.

This is just a P-shopped pic :
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-xyloblue.jpg
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 14:41   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The Dolphin grey is an amazing color - but before you confirm the color, check with the dealers if Mahindra will be launching any new colors in the Xylo. I had seen pics of a XUV blue Xylo somewhere on the net - not sure if it was the official website or somewhere else.

This is just a P-shopped pic :
Attachment 1121121
V12

Thanks for the post. The Pic of the blue Xylo looks hot I have also see xylo is dark blue in some test drive picture, scratches on the D.grey wont be seen very easily, hence the reason for choosing that colour. The one above looks great but i am sure scratches will be visible over time. Anyway I will check with the Mahindra dealer on upcoming colours if any.
Old 4th August 2013, 16:59   #86
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, this color does look hot! But check with the dealer if its available. I wonder why MUV's in India are restricted to boring colors - like white, black, silver, maroon. These colors would be preferred more by the Taxi / Tourist segments. For the family buyer - manufacturers should introduce some vibrant colors - like the above.

My suggestion for your choice of color is to go by what your heart says! Scracthes will eventually come on any vehicle. If your locality is not heavily populated or you dont have kids playing around your car or you dont park your car outside on the road - you should go for the color of your choice - rather than settling for a color which does not show scratches.

We chose silver over all other colors - because this looked the best (our opinion). We had seen the Red / Black ones - but they looked faded over a period of time. Hence they were ruled out.

All the best to you and awaiting your decicion Happy Legs!!
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 20:09   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Need some opinion in a cosmetic modification that we are planning for. We were thinking of blackening the roof - however not sure (1) whether to go for it or not since this may absorb more heat (especially in the summers) and (2) if we do go for it, do we go for a gloss finish, a matt finish or a CF finish.

I am more inclined towards a gloss finish (Pshopped image below). But would want opinions and suggestions :

1. What is the best material to be used for this?
2. Which is the best place to get this work done? I dont mind getting this done at a regular number plate guy - as long as the work is good (no air bubbles, no shoddy cuttings etc)
3. What would be the cost for this modification?
4. Will it cause too much heating in the summer?

V12

The Blackened out roof looks smashing. if your still interested in getting this done, you should definitely check out 3M, they have a carbon fibre material which would suit it very well. Regarding the cooling inside, it might take a hit but that again depends on how effective your AC is !!
Old 5th August 2013, 20:41   #88
Team-BHP Support

V12, just read about the cooling being inadequate. I have 60% visibility films on the Yeti, and 70% on the front windscreen, and I am sure it has made a difference to the cooling. Do PM if you want contact details, the price I got it at was pretty good.

Also about the mileage, I think anything above 9kmpl in Mumbai traffic is fine. But if you think it is lower than it should be, is it possible the engine is being lugged? It may be that gears are being upshifted too soon. In these cars the sweet spot is just after the turbo has spooled, in this car it should be around 2000-2200rpm.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depending on your requirement, you would need to chose between a 7 or an 8 seater. No doubt, the captain seats with its individual arm rests are much much more comfortable than the bench seats. The other advantages of the captain seats are :
  • More legroom for the last row passenger (middle)
  • More luggage space inside the cabin (considering the Xylo has a small boot)
  • Easy entry / exit - since you dont have to flip the mid seats to access the last row.
Mine is a 7 seater too and I love them. However for short quick trips, seats need to be folded to accomodate 5 people. I started getting complaints from parents when they need to
give lift to a neighbor from church etc. And its difficult to educate people on how to fold, most cases I have to get down to onboard and offboard passengers to car .

I am sure that younger generation can live with it, my xylo had many fully loaded trips with friends while in Bangalore with absolutely no complaints. Only thing is that second row captain seats are meant for rotation due to its comfort.

Quote:
Yes, this color does look hot! But check with the dealer if its available. I wonder why MUV's in India are restricted to boring colors - like white, black, silver, maroon. These colors would be preferred more by the Taxi / Tourist segments. For the family buyer - manufacturers should introduce some vibrant colors - like the above.

My suggestion for your choice of color is to go by what your heart says! Scracthes will eventually come on any vehicle. If your locality is not heavily populated or you dont have kids playing around your car or you dont park your car outside on the road - you should go for the color of your choice - rather than settling for a color which does not show scratches.

We chose silver over all other colors - because this looked the best (our opinion). We had seen the Red / Black ones - but they looked faded over a period of time. Hence they were ruled out.

All the best to you and awaiting your decicion Happy Legs!!
According to me, the painting quality on Xylo's are not so great compared to its competitions. First year of ownership will cheer the dark and bright color car owners but after 2 years or so, Silver color still holds its charm.

Believe me Silver has some characteristics to stay bright and hide the small scratches without getting noticed. My 9+ year old Silver Accent CRDi (Sold recently) stayed glorious than my 4 year old Java Brown Xylo. I love my Java Brown Tusker no doubt but you got what I am saying. Light metalics are safer option for long term ownerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
V12, just read about the cooling being inadequate. I have 60% visibility films on the Yeti, and 70% on the front windscreen, and I am sure it has made a difference to the cooling. Do PM if you want contact details, the price I got it at was pretty good.

Also about the mileage, I think anything above 9kmpl in Mumbai traffic is fine. But if you think it is lower than it should be, is it possible the engine is being lugged? It may be that gears are being upshifted too soon. In these cars the sweet spot is just after the turbo has spooled, in this car it should be around 2000-2200rpm.
Films are still street legal? Had to peel off from all my cars in Kerala.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 15:09   #90
BHPian

Jacs

How is your xylo holding up after 4 years ? any issues ? Can you compare it to a 4 yr old Innova and elaborate ,thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks