Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 11:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Jacs

How is your xylo holding up after 4 years ? any issues ? Can you compare it to a 4 yr old Innova and elaborate ,thanks
Hi Keshav,

Touchwood, I had no issues till date. Extended warranty is ending this October and I need to do a proactive checkup before that.

I got privileged to use Innovas of my friends and families. That too long drives like Kottayam - Bangalore etc. Here's my comparison.

I like Innova over Xylo for its
  • Best in class interiors - No niggles even after 5 years
  • Good exterior finishing - Paints are fresh even after 5 years
  • Easy to drive - Its very Car-ish
  • Reasonably good handling (Xylo isnt that easy for a beginner or not used ones)
  • Off course its reputation
I like Xylo over Innova for its
  • 3-4Lakhs savings (not sure if we still need to compare Innova to Xylo )
  • Commanding driving position - Everyone including my wife loves it
  • Ready to take any abuse, it can go almost anywhere a 2WD Scorpio goes. Believe me as I drive regularly in Highrange of Kerala.
  • Sufficient head room and leg room for all 7 passengers. Yes even the third row is very much usable unlike the Innova. Not reclinable though.
  • Engine is very responsive and overtaking is much easier than Innova. Less gear changes.
  • Lube change interval of 20,000KMs which is unmatched by any of its competitors. My vehicle being not driven more than 10-12K KMs, its just annual service for me but imagine Taxis.
  • Cheap to maintain - Most major services end up in 3-4K. If you add the list like interior clean-up, brake overhauls, some small body niggles like broken plastics etc then the bill may go 6-8K. Not seen anything more than that with my car or my friend's cars.
  • Fuel efficiency on highways are as high as 15-16Kmpl if 60-80 is maintained. City drive and rural drives are mostly 9-11 which is not great though.
  • Tyre life is good. I got 50,000+ on by stock tyres. Some of our fellow BHPians got 65,000+ too.
Bottomline : Innova is premium compared to Xylo no doubt but 15lakhs versus 11lakhs is a huge difference. Even base version Xylo has more features than Innova. Xylo matches my need in terms of cost and performance.

Last edited by jacs : 8th August 2013 at 12:02.
jacs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 13:16   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Bottomline : Innova is premium compared to Xylo no doubt but 15lakhs versus 11lakhs is a huge difference. Even base version Xylo has more features than Innova. Xylo matches my need in terms of cost and performance.
I second Jacs on the pros and cons. I have driven Innova rarely. But those moments proved that Innova is always a better option than Xylo in certain aspects, and Xylo excels in other aspects. May be I can put it this way, Xylo is 90% of Innova in 70% of the price.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Keshav,

Touchwood, I had no issues till date. Extended warranty is ending this October and I need to do a proactive checkup before that.

I got privileged to use Innovas of my friends and families. That too long drives like Kottayam - Bangalore etc. Here's my comparison.

I like Innova over Xylo for its
  • Best in class interiors - No niggles even after 5 years
  • Good exterior finishing - Paints are fresh even after 5 years
  • Easy to drive - Its very Car-ish
  • Reasonably good handling (Xylo isnt that easy for a beginner or not used ones)
  • Off course its reputation
I like Xylo over Innova for its
  • 3-4Lakhs savings (not sure if we still need to compare Innova to Xylo )
  • Commanding driving position - Everyone including my wife loves it
  • Ready to take any abuse, it can go almost anywhere a 2WD Scorpio goes. Believe me as I drive regularly in Highrange of Kerala.
  • Sufficient head room and leg room for all 7 passengers. Yes even the third row is very much usable unlike the Innova. Not reclinable though.
  • Engine is very responsive and overtaking is much easier than Innova. Less gear changes.
  • Lube change interval of 20,000KMs which is unmatched by any of its competitors. My vehicle being not driven more than 10-12K KMs, its just annual service for me but imagine Taxis.
  • Cheap to maintain - Most major services end up in 3-4K. If you add the list like interior clean-up, brake overhauls, some small body niggles like broken plastics etc then the bill may go 6-8K. Not seen anything more than that with my car or my friend's cars.
  • Fuel efficiency on highways are as high as 15-16Kmpl if 60-80 is maintained. City drive and rural drives are mostly 9-11 which is not great though.
  • Tyre life is good. I got 50,000+ on by stock tyres. Some of our fellow BHPians got 65,000+ too.
Jacs

Thanks for the detailed response, from what your saying, Xylo is the way to go for me. There is a massive difference in pricing between the Innova and Xylo ! I was a little hesitant about the quality but as most owners reported, there seems to be some minor niggles which is basically due to the carelessness of the service staff. So I am going to take the plunge and go in for a Xylo ( H8 with Abs/Airbags)

I thought of extending my budget and going in for the Innova GX but that doesnt even come with a stereo ! All models below the GX come with a single aircon unit. So I am dropping Innova and will see how life turns out with Mahindra!

Last edited by keshav1426 : 8th August 2013 at 15:12.
Old 8th August 2013, 15:53   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
May be I can put it this way, Xylo is 90% of Innova in 70% of the price.
Precisely!

Quote:
Jacs

Thanks for the detailed response, from what your saying, Xylo is the way to go for me. So I am going to take the plunge and go in for a Xylo ( H8 with Abs/Airbags)
Hi Keshav,

Xylo is your way if you are not a perfectionist and looking for value for every penny spent. And yes H8 ticks the need of almost everyone looking to invest 10L. Go for extended warranty on your initial invoice itself as it comes cheaper.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 17:02   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Go for extended warranty on your initial invoice itself as it comes cheaper.
I think currently there is no extended warranty offer and the standard warranty is 3 years or 100000KMs which ever is earlier
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2013, 03:28   #96
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellently summed up the comparision between the Xylo and the Innova, Jacs! Both the vehicles and good in their own ways. Where the Xylo loses on some features, the Innova wins and vice versa.

Quote:
I was a little hesitant about the quality
We, too, were very hesitant about buying a Mahindra product - and that too after living with a Toyota for 12 long years. Agreed that the quality of the Xylo is nothing great to talk about - but given the price and the features that it comes with - its easy to ignore the quality.

Quote:
V12, just read about the cooling being inadequate. I have 60% visibility films on the Yeti, and 70% on the front windscreen, and I am sure it has made a difference to the cooling. Do PM if you want contact details, the price I got it at was pretty good.
Quote:
Films are still street legal? Had to peel off from all my cars in Kerala.
I believe they are still illegal - and hence we have not installed them. The a/c is very much effective (it wasnt earlier but after the first service, its improved a lot). The only problem I face is (in summer), the cabin takes some time to cool. As we know the a/c is more effective in a smaller area than a larger one. Have still not tried the window blinds option yet - so lets see.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 12:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

For the benefit of all, a quick update from a 1043KMs trip during last weekend.
  • Average fuel efficency - 12Kmpl (11.96 to be precise) average on with 6 adults, 1 kid and 1 infant on board along with good luggage (2 trolleys, 2-3 small bags etc). Roads includes rural highrange and highways. 3-4 10mins break with AC running. Few 120-140Kmph sprints.
  • No motion sickness for anyone including a 6 month old.
  • Had to switch on AC-HI few times during noon while we started after long breaks. AC-LO was more than enough most of the time. Infact reduced cooling 2-3 points during evenings.
  • Vehicle holds strurdy till 100Kmph
  • 100-120Kmph is manageable too
  • 120+ felt little unsafe (touched 145 once in an open stretch)
  • Most of the hairpin climbs were on 2nd gear. Recollect using 1st only once or twice when vehicle had to be slowed down drastically.
Old 15th August 2013, 04:25   #98
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the update Jacs! 12kmpl is a good average considering the bus was fully loaded. The mileage on our bus is still disappointing i.e. <10.

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-03mm12.jpg
Any idea if the above roof rails are still available for the Xylo. These roof rails were available in the old Xylo (top models) - but discontinued in the facelifted ones. Does anyone know if this is available at any dealer or accessory shop and whether its a direct fit on the 2012 Xylo?

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-ertigapic1.jpg
Another important update! Another MUV has joined our family - and the Xylo has more reasons to be jealous now. My brother got delivery of his Ertiga CNG today. A shootout between the 2 will be up in a few weeks.

Last edited by v12 : 15th August 2013 at 04:27.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 09:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The mileage on our bus is still disappointing i.e. <10.

Any idea if the above roof rails are still available for the Xylo. These roof rails were available in the old Xylo (top models) - but discontinued in the facelifted ones.

Another important update! Another MUV has joined our family - and the Xylo has more reasons to be jealous now. My brother got delivery of his Ertiga CNG today.
Even I get mixed feedback on the fuel efficiency of Xylo. Do you keep tab on the RPM levels while driving? I know you would but have noticed better efficiency while proper shifts are made. Initially till I got used to the beast, fuel efficiency was not great as I revved to hear the roar and sometimes stick to higher gears etc.

Roof rails for Xylo were available in accessories shops while I was in Bangalore (1 year back too). But sad part is this after market fitments are attached using double sided stickers unlike the E6 which used to come with proper fixing. I doubt whether a sticker can serve the purpose and dropped the idea.

Congrats on the Ertiga. I am sure Xylo will be jelous on her as she would be a preferred ride due to good fuel efficiency. However Xylo rules the road once you ignite no doubt. Even my tusker is not seeing all actions now a days due to a 18Kmpl Fusion joined the family.

Last edited by jacs : 16th August 2013 at 09:17.
Old 18th August 2013, 14:11   #100
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even I get mixed feedback on the fuel efficiency of Xylo. Do you keep tab on the RPM levels while driving? I know you would but have noticed better efficiency while proper shifts are made. Initially till I got used to the beast, fuel efficiency was not great as I revved to hear the roar and sometimes stick to higher gears etc.
Hey Jacs, yes the gear changes are done at the normal rpm levels. Except for the 1st gear - all other gear changes are done at 2.5/3k rpm.

Managed to find this thread on the pre-facelift E4 modification. The fitting of the original ski racks / roof rails will require holes to be drilled in. Definitely a no for me - since this can cause leaks from the roof if not done properly.

The aftermarket ones that he speaks about are fixed using 2-way tape or gum/adhesive. Again a complete no - cos they would not be able to hold the weight and may just come off.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...-e4-white.html

Quote:
Yesterday i fitted my Ski Rack on my Xylo on Double Gum which was cost me Just 2000 /-, it was holding nicely, but after fitting i found that its not looking same as company fitted (e 6 or Celebration) and i checked in Internet and found that they both are different.

Difference are nominal like the the Gap betweeen rail & roof is less in mine compare to original one the Hight of Ski Rack is smaller, and length too about 100 mm, now after that i asked to my accessories suppleir to keep it back but he denied said once stick i will not able to sell those,

Today i called to Mahindra ASS, they have ski rack which will cost me around under 5000 /- and fitting of ski rack can be around 2500 /- and two days required to fitting, they will drill and fix it but no guarantee of Leak.

So I am confusing here a Duplicate which cost me 2000 /- is not same as Original and Original will cost me upto 7500 /- with two days.
Quote:
V12

Thanks for the post. The Pic of the blue Xylo looks hot I have also see xylo is dark blue in some test drive picture, scratches on the D.grey wont be seen very easily, hence the reason for choosing that colour. The one above looks great but i am sure scratches will be visible over time. Anyway I will check with the Mahindra dealer on upcoming colours if any.
Are you refering to this one?
Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-994232_10151846448578900_703451724_n.jpg
Old 19th August 2013, 10:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Except for the 1st gear - all other gear changes are done at 2.5/3k rpm.

The fitting of the original ski racks / roof rails will require holes to be drilled in. Definitely a no for me - since this can cause leaks from the roof if not done properly.

The aftermarket ones that he speaks about are fixed using 2-way tape or gum/adhesive. Again a complete no - cos they would not be able to hold the weight and may just come off.
Yes both are not recommended. May be you can just keep it in your checklist as a facelift after a long long ownership .

On the RPMs, do you really see 3K often? Becoz my beast rarely sees 3K, recollect once while pushing her limits in the recent high-way drive. 2 to 2.5K is what is mostly the range I drive. Not trying to question your driving style but is it something to do with the engine tuning or turbo?
Old 20th August 2013, 13:22   #102
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Jacs, Sorry I mis-judged the range. The gear-shifts are normally between the 2 / 2.5k range.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2013, 14:04   #103
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems like Mahindra still refers to the Xylo as the Ingenio in its inventory list. Notice the sticker on the LHS sunvisor. Do the new Xylo's also come with the Ingenio name on the stickers?

Mahindra Xylo - The Time of our Life @ 17 months / 15000 kms-ingenio.jpg
Old 31st August 2013, 21:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Agree with whatever Jacs has mentioned above.

Tyre - As on today my stock tyres are running at 71k kms.
FE - City 11.5-12kmpl, and Highway 15-16kmpl with fully loaded

Roof Rails - @V12, I guess it is still available with the dealers. You can give a try. Atleast over here it is still available and they will fix it it required.
shishir_bn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:10   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Agree with whatever Jacs has mentioned above.

Tyre - As on today my stock tyres are running at 71k kms.
FE - City 11.5-12kmpl, and Highway 15-16kmpl with fully loaded

Roof Rails - @V12, I guess it is still available with the dealers. You can give a try. Atleast over here it is still available and they will fix it it required.
Yes Shishir, my fingers were pointing to you but did not knew it clocked 71K . Please share this experience to Mahindra and Bridgestone, this learning would help them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks