Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:03   #61
BHPian

Seat squeaking DIY

The squeaking was a very irritating. As you all know it is a common problem with all Z variant height adjustable driver seat. Service center doesn't care to rectify it all. I have been planning to do it myself at home. So it can be done to my satisfaction and if it reappears I can clear it myself.

Bought the box spanner socket for removing the bolts which holds the seat on to the floor. The socket size is T40. You can get it as a screw driver or as a box spanner head(available in all tools/hardware shop). I preferred the later, because you have to apply good amount force to undo the bolts. So the box spanner makes the job easy. The socket costs around 50rs. And borrowed the lever from a friend. You can also buy the lever itself for around 150 bucks.

Procedure is quite simple. First, sit on the seat move your body to replicate the sound. Find from where it is coming. In my case it was coming from the left rear portion of the seat. You can touch the metal plates to feel the vibration and re confirm the area. Then undo the four bolts. For that you may need to slide the seat backwards and forwards in order to access the bolts. Remove the seat belt sensor cable. Its secured with a clip on harness. It will come off easily. Take out the seat. Be careful while taking it out. Its heavy and the rails can scratch your paint.

Next step is lubrication. I used a normal bicycle lubricant. Lube all the parts of the height adjusting linkages. Especially the area where you felt the vibration/squeaking. I lubed the springs underneath the seats too. Wipe off any excess oil.

Put the seat back in the car. There is a location pin on each of the rail. It'll help to make the seat seat on the floor. Tighten the bolts. Clip on the seat belt sensor. Job done.

Result : Its been almost two weeks since I did this. Not even a mild squeak so far

Time for some pics :

The T40 socket
Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-_dsc9782.jpg
Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-_dsc9781.jpg

This was the joint making the squeak.
Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-_dsc9779.jpg

Bolt head
Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-_dsc9784.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The port is at the lower LHS on the panel below the steering column. When the dongle is connected it protrudes above the clutch pedal making it difficult to connect and drive, so either get 1) an extension cable or 2) get the smaller type dongle or 3) break open the large dongle and use only the internals (PCB+connector). I'm doing the third since i already had a large dongle (the one pictured above) with me, its always connected and stays out of sight.
That's a nice idea, Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
May be it would be related to seating position and height of driver also depends may be.
Anurag.
This is the location of the port Anurag. Its not possible to drive with the dongle attached with out any mod as fellow bhpian Sankar mentioned.
Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-_dsc9905.jpg
vaisakhr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seat squeaking DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
That's a nice idea, Thank you

This is the location of the port Anurag. Its not possible to drive with the dongle attached with out any mod as fellow bhpian Sankar mentioned.
Attachment 1128195
Vaisakh if you want to split the dongle peel away the sticker and there are two screws underneath, undo those and the case can be split. I then covered the PCB on all sides by wrapping with electrical insulating tape. Now when its connected to OBD port the PCB is stowed away behind the plastic panel to the left of the left leg. Using a double sided tape you can stick the PCB to the panel. The wires connecting the PCB to the OBD plug seem delicate but its holding up fine in my car, change to heavier gauge wires if you feel the need.

My car has seen two services since i did this and the dongle is still there I actually forgot to take it out before i gave it to MSS.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:22   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Vaisakh if you want to split the dongle peel away the sticker and there are two screws underneath, undo those and the case can be split. I then covered the PCB on all sides by wrapping with electrical insulating tape. Now when its connected to OBD port the PCB is stowed away behind the plastic panel to the left of the left leg. Using a double sided tape you can stick the PCB to the panel. The wires connecting the PCB to the OBD plug seem delicate but its holding up fine in my car, change to heavier gauge wires if you feel the need.

My car has seen two services since i did this and the dongle is still there I actually forgot to take it out before i gave it to MSS.
Thank you very much. I was about to ask you how to do it. BTW, you keep the dongle connected all the time?
Old 24th August 2013, 20:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much. I was about to ask you how to do it. BTW, you keep the dongle connected all the time?
Yes, its always connected because i used to log the fuel trims and narrow band voltages to compare with the stock readings.

If you plan to use the dongle frequently its better to just leave it there to avoid the possibility of the OBD port going bad with constant insertions and removals. Keep a check on battery voltage for the first few days to ensure the dongle isn't draining the battery. It shouldn't and will not drain the battery but since these are chinese clones its better to keep a watch.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 00:09   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, its always connected because i used to log the fuel trims and narrow band voltages to compare with the stock readings.

If you plan to use the dongle frequently its better to just leave it there to avoid the possibility of the OBD port going bad with constant insertions and removals. Keep a check on battery voltage for the first few days to ensure the dongle isn't draining the battery. It shouldn't and will not drain the battery but since these are chinese clones its better to keep a watch.
Even I use the port regularly but won't keeping the OBD II reader on the port always drain the battery like you just said in your post?

Just for the benefit of others the PIN-16 in the OBD II reader is the battery supply. Please look at the picture showing what the pins on the port mean.

Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-download.jpg

Do you have any change in voltage as you retain the port throughout and cranking power is longer or same as normal?

Anurag.
Old 25th August 2013, 08:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:

Will definitely try that out. Thanks again. One more doubt, do we have to pair it before starting the engine?
Old 25th August 2013, 15:57   #67
BANNED

Quote:

Will definitely try that out. Thanks again. One more doubt, do we have to pair it before starting the engine?
You will have to pair the OBD II reader and your mobile via Bluetooth ONLY for the first time. You can pair it after starting the engine also.

After the first time pairing the later usage would be direct. Just Pugin and open the App.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 16:55   #68
BHPian

The Chinese elm I got drains the battery if I leave it overnight. There are Elm dongles which have an on off switch if given a choice now I would rather buy one with a switch inbuilt instead of having to remove it all the time.
Old 25th August 2013, 18:55   #69
BANNED

Re: Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
The Chinese elm I got drains the battery if I leave it overnight. There are Elm dongles which have an on off switch if given a choice now I would rather buy one with a switch inbuilt instead of having to remove it all the time.
Which ELM 327 reader are you using and which car is your's by the way?

I just looked up Google and Ebay.in for the ELM that sports a ON/OFF switch but I found no results. If you have a link to the product please share as it would be helpful for all.

Anurag.
Old 25th August 2013, 21:15   #70
BHPian

I use the same standard black one which probably is what every one else uses

The switched one was on eBay a while but maybe it's not available any more or it's difficult to get hold of now.

Added pics for you

Edit :Look at this on eBay:

Android Torque VGate ELM327 v2.1 Mini ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD-II OBD2 Reader

http://bit.ly/12BjZaw
Attached Thumbnails
Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-image351455106.jpg  

Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-image4246865545.jpg  

Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-image1983274026.jpg  

Last edited by abishek2222 : 25th August 2013 at 21:21.
abishek2222 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 00:59   #71
BANNED

Quote:
I use the same standard black one which probably is what every one else uses

The switched one was on eBay a while but maybe it's not available any more or it's difficult to get hold of now.
Thanks for the pictures but wish I had known about this then would have purchased this one rather than the one I bought as I keep removing it from the port after the usage is done and plug it in again when i need it.

This is the one I use currently.

Dream come true! Presenting my Maruti Swift ZDi-20130321-16.18.26.jpg

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 27th August 2013, 07:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pairing is required only once per phone (unless phone is reflashed/factory reset).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Even I use the port regularly but won't keeping the OBD II reader on the port always drain the battery like you just said in your post?

Do you have any change in voltage as you retain the port throughout and cranking power is longer or same as normal?

Anurag.
This OBD tool shouldn't drain the battery, if the tool drains the battery its a bad piece. And the voltage is the same every other day and cranking duration is normal.

Quote:
This is the scenario that i cautioned about earlier. Each adapter needs to be tested individually to confirm if it drains the battery or not, there is no guarantee of proper functionality. There is no standard for the clones that come out of China.

Maybe these smaller adapters with on/off button use a different architecture compared to the one posted by Vaisakh, and maybe that's why its draining the battery. But i don't understand why it should use that much power while in standby mode!
Old 27th August 2013, 07:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The squeaking was a very irritating. As you all know it is a common problem with all Z variant height adjustable driver seat. Service center doesn't care to rectify it all. I have been planning to do it myself at home.
Thanks for sharing this with us Vaisakh! That annoying click sound has been there in our car from the start.

Is there any way all this can be done without taking the seat out?
Old 27th August 2013, 07:52   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is there any way all this can be done without taking the seat out?
It will be too difficult to access those linkages if the seats are not removed. But you can give it a try with a lube applicator which has a long nozzle.
Old 27th August 2013, 08:23   #75
Senior - BHPian

There is a definite clicking sound. I am quite sure there is something loose. Will show it to you during the next meet. So far MASS has been helpless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks