Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2013, 16:05   #151
BHPian

re: Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
Apart from LX 4x4, who knows TATA discovers the technology of proper in-dash infotainment system in coming months:-)
I guess they already know some bit of it, looking at what they have to offer in Manza and Vista. I think they want to keep storme dashboard of stone age to keep the retro looks. But may be someday, one fine someday they will change!
Old 30th December 2013, 16:44   #152
Senior - BHPian

Frankly I am a stone age dinosaur myself and love the Storme for what it is - a nice truck.

The dash and single DIN and all makes zero difference to me. All my cars and bikes for me are driving and riding experiences. Not so much the gizmos and gimmikry because short of my Duke 200, there has never been none.

But what I ABSOLUTELY DETEST about my Storme and the TATA boffins who designed it as such is where they have placed the cup holders.

Man, Storme owners,please tell me, for the love of Almighty God, Ahura Mazda, has even ONE of you been actually able to place something there and retrieve it for a sip, and then place it back there while driving?

Not only is the location really weird, but so is the depth of each cup holder. As well as the height clearance above each. Both making it impossible to safely place anything taller in it. Neither will it fit, and whatever does fit, can simply tip over.

What a shambolic design goof up man .........

Last edited by ebonho : 30th December 2013 at 17:10.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 17:26   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Man, Storme owners,please tell me, for the love of Almighty God, Ahura Mazda, has even ONE of you been actually able to place something there and retrieve it for a sip, and then place it back there while driving?
Pls don't attempt drinking and driving - thats the message TML wants to send across to everyone when they designed those cup holders

Oh by the way, have you noticed that the cup holder tray is actually removable ?
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 11:33   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
I guess they already know some bit of it, looking at what they have to offer in Manza and Vista. I think they want to keep storme dashboard of stone age to keep the retro looks. But may be someday, one fine someday they will change!
Storme still seems to ape Pajero in this department, which is possibly TATA SUV designers' role model !

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Pls don't attempt drinking and driving - thats the message TML wants to send across to everyone when they designed those cup holders
Exactly! That's what they further emphasized by dangling Explorer kit 2-din screen right in front of your cups!
YGarg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:46   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about a tall glas of cold coffee from CCD man - Tropical Iceberg with extra chocolate sauce.

My hands were numb and chilled from having to hold on to it while driving with the kids on one of our night drives - what a pain.
Old 17th January 2014, 22:28   #156
Senior - BHPian

10000 kms update

The beast completed 10,000kms today after about 5.5 months of ownership. This is the fastest 10,000kms I have achieved in any of my past cars. The ODO today ended at 10125kms after a ~ 850km trip over the last 2 days.

Some key stats about this trip - Chennai - Yercaud and back

1) Total distance done in this trip = 841KMS
2) Out of this about 85kms was spent in Ghat sections. Yercaud is about 30km uphill drive - not very longish or steepish like Ooty or Kodai.
3) Rest of the distance was completly NH roads
4) Must have used a/c for about 50-60% of the trip
5) Maintained speeds of strictly 90-100kms only since I wanted to stretch every drop of fuel and not my right foot
6) Overall FE was 13.85kmpl. I was expecting a bit more. Was personally targetting 15kmpl which would have helped me do this Yercaud round trip with just a single tank full.
7) Used the roof carrier in the onward journey. Am guessing an impact of 1kmpl on account of this. Absolutely no logic for this. Just trying to console myself that the FE of 15kmpl could not be achieved because of the luggage on the roof

Now for a 10,000km update

Issues faced so far
1) Steering wobble at speeds > 100kmph - sorted in the 2nd service. It was not a major wobble
2) Slight left pulling - continues. I tested this again during this trip as well. I don't get put off my this because its difficult to assess whether this slight pull us due to road gradient or some other factors. I have always noticed in all my cars that a slight left pull always happens. So its within my tolerance because alignment is fine
3) Driver side seat belt squeak - vanished after I adjusted the seat belt height
4) metallic sound when taking full right/left turns - all but gone but comes up sometimes when taking full turns without bringing the vehicle to a very slow speed - needs to be checked
5) Brake squeak - comes up when I drive within city especially on my way back home - Never in the mornings. This is the sound of brake dust rubbing against the discs
6) During this trip, middle row passenger tried using the seat belts. The right side one seems to be stuck. The belt wasnt coming out. Checked the same by removing the plastic cover that houses this assembly. Couldnt find what's wrong. Will need to take it to TASS

Overall the first 10,000kms has been trouble free. The beast always gets attention wherever I go, even from owners of other popular models of SUVs. Maybe they get this feeling that "atleast this guy went with his heart and did not end up buying what everyone else buys like I did"

While the beast lapped up 10,000kms fairly quickly, with no long drives in the near term, its going to be a long wait for the next milestone - 15k,kms when oil change is due.

Happy motoring..
narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 22:47   #157
BHPian

Congrats Narayan. 10k in such a short period is good. Turning heads is in the DNA of this vehicle, which it never fails at.
One who goes with the heart always gets envious looks from those who follow only their head. Enjoy it!;-)
Old 17th January 2014, 23:01   #158
BHPian

Congrats Narayan I am about to complete 12K Kms but that's almost 11 months into the purchase. Happy motoring and look forward to reading your comments on the performance of your truck. All the best.
Old 18th January 2014, 00:13   #159
BHPian

Re: 10000 kms update

Quote:
2) Slight left pulling - continues. I tested this again during this trip as well. I don't get put off my this because its difficult to assess whether this slight pull us due to road gradient or some other factors. I have always noticed in all my cars that a slight left pull always happens. So its within my tolerance because alignment is fine

6) During this trip, middle row passenger tried using the seat belts. The right side one seems to be stuck. The belt wasnt coming out. Checked the same by removing the plastic cover that houses this assembly. Couldnt find what's wrong. Will need to take it to TASS

Have you tried swapping just the front tires, the passenger side tire goes to the drivers side and the drivers side tire goes to the passenger side.
My SX4 had the exact same issue, alignment/ balancing everything was fine but it still pulled to the left, however this tire swap solved it for good.

Did the middle passenger try to fasten the belt once the car was in motion or at rest. If a car is in motion the belts can get locked, they free-up after while though. This happens because for the seat belt mechanism the pull to fasten the belt is the same as a passenger being pushed forward thus it tries to retain him/her and in the process locks-up
Old 18th January 2014, 05:50   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 10000 kms update

Quote:
The beast completed 10,000kms today after about 5.5 months of ownership.
Congrats ! That is quick, and the way to drive this !
Quote:
2) Slight left pulling - continues. I tested this again during this trip as well. .. its difficult to assess whether this slight pull us due to road gradient or some other factors.
Please try & check on roads / part of the road where the gradient is towards the right.
Old 18th January 2014, 08:14   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Have you tried swapping just the front tires, the passenger side tire goes to the drivers side and the drivers side tire goes to the passenger side.

Did the middle passenger try to fasten the belt once the car was in motion or at rest. If a car is in motion the belts can get locked, they free-up after while though.
Maglev- tyre swap has been done at first service - around 1500kms. Need to check this again.

Seat belt was tight even before I started the car. Thankfully it was the 2nd row, otherwise I would have been seriously pissed off.
Old 18th January 2014, 13:06   #162
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Narayan on the 10,000 kms! That's really fast in half a year. I am at 10 months into my ownership, and touched 6000 kms last night, in comparison. Ned to catch up fast!
Old 18th January 2014, 13:20   #163
Senior - BHPian

To add, slowly but steadily there are more Stormes spottings.

I spotted one nice looking Pearl white - TN-70 ( If I remember right ) vehicle at Yercaud with nice alloys and wider tyres.

Then spotted another brand new unregistered Pearl white model with a nice front bull bar and the flag of poltical party in the Salem - Ulundurpet stretch. As expected the vehicle was full of white khadi clad thugs.

Last spotting was a silver Storme ( similar to mine ) on ECR road on the day I was leaving. Wonder whether this is another member vehicle
Old 28th January 2014, 12:58   #164
Senior - BHPian

Took the beast to the service center to get some squeaks fixed. The Storme requires regular lubrication of the ABC pedals and doors. Have never seen such a requirement in my previous cars ( i10 or OHC ).

Also the middle row seat was making some noise. It required a really firm push by the SA to get it seated properly.

Now the beast is back in business with very little noise except the nice hum from the engine.

Recently I also noticed there is some kind of a lumbar adjustment lever in the front seats. I am seeing this after around 3 months of ownership ! Pulled it and figured out that it gives you a push in the lower back. Did not notice any benefit of this adjustment.

Would be good to know what exactly this feature is for ?!
Old 28th January 2014, 13:04   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I also noticed there is some kind of a lumbar adjustment lever in the front seats. I am seeing this after around 3 months of ownership ! Pulled it and figured out that it gives you a push in the lower back. Did not notice any benefit of this adjustment.

Would be good to know what exactly this feature is for ?!
Its a feature there in many office chairs too bro. For people who sit for long periods. The give greater curvature support to the concave part of your lower back, so it does not start sagging (and aching). Its a very helpful feature and I use it regularly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks