Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 10:23   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!

The Odo is nearing 11000kms now after a little less than 6 months of ownership. The expected slow down in mileage I was expecting after touching the 10000km mark is not happening

Given how easy it is for driving the beast inside the city ( due to the good visibility, engine peppiness + lighter clutch ), I have started using the beast regularly for my official travel as well where I have to meet many of our clients within the city or in the suburbs. So that is resulting in a lot of city + para city mileage.

Should touch 15k by March I guess
Old 30th January 2014, 11:13   #167

Hi Narayan,

Congratulations on crossing the 10K mark on your nice vehicle! Keep up the good work, wish you many more safe miles filled with fun. I would like to know some things from you at this point of time in your 6-month ownership:
1. How is the clutch faring? I had read that you were initially very impressed with how soft and easy to operate it was, specially compared to that of a Safari (as mentioned by you in one of your earlier posts). Is it still the same?
2. How trouble-free are the gear-shifts? Does the slotting into 1st/ 2nd require more than one attempt?
3. Your take on U-turns? Does it frequently require 3-point turning?
4. Highway comfort, defined in terms of finances (mileage) and comfort (back support, thigh support etc.).
5. It is said that the projector headlamps in a vehicle are much better than the conventional ones. Did you feel that this difference was actually perceptible during monsoon and winter? Is it so significant a feature that it might sway one's purchase decision between two vehicles?
6. Earlier, the Safari had a longer free service run, which has now been significantly reduced. Accordingly, do you think you had to shell out more money as maintenance cost on your vehicle? Can you share some details to throw more light on this matter?

Looking forward to your replies.
Thanks, and my best wishes again.
VG
Old 30th January 2014, 12:35   #168
BHPian

Congrats Narayan for the having the fastest storme (AFAIK) !
BTW, is there any increase / decrease in engine noise and vibrations as compared to new vehicle?
Old 31st January 2014, 10:25   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg23 View Post
Hi Narayan,

1. How is the clutch faring? I had read that you were initially very impressed with how soft and easy to operate it was, specially compared to that of a Safari (as mentioned by you in one of your earlier posts). Is it still the same?

I think the clutch is still the same. But its very difficult for a person driving the vehicle everyday to sense the hardening unless it happens dramatically or when one drives a brand new vehicle and compares. But I am comfortable driving around the Storme within the city as of now

2. How trouble-free are the gear-shifts? Does the slotting into 1st/ 2nd require more than one attempt?

Gear shifts are not butter smooth like in sedans like Honda City or even my i10. But they slot quite fine with a slightly rubbery feel. Sometimes in cold start 1st doesnt slot. You just have to de-clutch and slot again. I have noticed this happening even in my OHC sometimes. 2nd is not a problem but one needs to slot at a certain pace. If you try to accelerate in 1st and slot quickly to 2nd like in a petrol car, that may not be possible. Thats true with most diesels i think

3. Your take on U-turns? Does it frequently require 3-point turning?

Not at all.

4. Highway comfort, defined in terms of finances (mileage) and comfort (back support, thigh support etc.).

I am regularly reporting Mileage figures in this thread ( 10kmpl in city and 13-15kmpl in highways depending on driving style )

5. It is said that the projector headlamps in a vehicle are much better than the conventional ones. Did you feel that this difference was actually perceptible during monsoon and winter? Is it so significant a feature that it might sway one's purchase decision between two vehicles?

I live in Chennai and so I dont know what monsoon or winters are !. Anyway I am not a major auto lighting guy. So I am generally happy with whatever the OE specs are.

6. Earlier, the Safari had a longer free service run, which has now been significantly reduced. Accordingly, do you think you had to shell out more money as maintenance cost on your vehicle? Can you share some details to throw more light on this matter?

I went for the Gold AMC for 4 yrs/40000kms for around Rs19000. So I am covered for everything except tyres and battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
is there any increase / decrease in engine noise and vibrations as compared to new vehicle?
I dont see any significant changes as of now. Having said that, the Storme is not very noisy to start with. I have noticed many times pedestrians/2 wheelerers noticing the Storme visually first than audibly when I drive up close to them possibly indicating the good sound deadening used.
Old 3rd February 2014, 14:40   #170
Senior - BHPian

After quite some time got a chance to check the city FE by doing a complete tank full within pure city driving conditions alone and got a very healthy figure of 11.8kmpl for Chennai traffic. This is largely WITHOUT A/C since I rarely use a/c when Im driving alone. So one can consider 10% a/c usage. I think this is a good city FE and inline with my expectation.
Old 24th February 2014, 01:00   #171
BHPian

@Narayan Firstly congratulations on being a proud owner of a certain beast. I am following this thread very closely since its time for me to upgrade now. I am running in to 8th year of my Wagon R and without any doubt i will be buying Safari Storme during end of April/first week of May 2014. With that intention i took a test drive of Storme VX 4x2 yesterday and i must admit i am pretty impressed and my crave to own this vehicle has become more stronger. I had test driven dicor too last year and storme is leagues ahead of dicor in all departments including handling!

That said i have plans to buy VX 4x2 mainly for the need of airbags since lower variant come without airbag options. In many of the threads on team-bhp i came across people reporting EX/LX being better in terms of both interiors and exteriors compared to VX. So i would like to know from you and other storme owners whether VX is really worth a buy just for airbags? or should i settle for EX? Please advise, since it can make significant savings on my pocket if i am convinced that EX would suffice!

Thanks for your response.
Old 24th February 2014, 13:08   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
...In many of the threads on team-bhp i came across people reporting EX/LX being better in terms of both interiors and exteriors compared to VX. So i would like to know from you and other storme owners whether VX is really worth a buy just for airbags? or should i settle for EX? Please advise, since it can make significant savings on my pocket if i am convinced that EX would suffice!

NOTHING can replace Airbags and it's advantages. You need to accept the premium for that; no choice.

It's NOT the exteriors & interiors of the LX / EX is better than VX, but those are more VFM compared to the VX. And again, if your color choice is the brown, then NO choice than VX. No other trims have the brown color.

Edit:: Correction - brown color = Urban Bronze

Quote:
...i will be buying Safari Storme during end of April/first week of May 2014....
Is that something to do with the new financial year employee benefits? Else it is a better time to buy the car NOW! With the duty cuts and also the current road taxes. In April, the new road taxes will come into picture and there could be a price hike also making it all the more expensive.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th February 2014 at 13:18. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:12   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Narayan Firstly congratulations on being a proud owner of a certain beast.

without any doubt i will be buying Safari Storme during end of April/first week of May 2014. With that intention i took a test drive of Storme VX 4x2 yesterday and i must admit i am pretty impressed and my crave to own this vehicle has become more stronger. I had test driven dicor too last year and storme is leagues ahead of dicor in all departments including handling!

That said i have plans to buy VX 4x2 mainly for the need of airbags since lower variant come without airbag options. In many of the threads on team-bhp i came across people reporting EX/LX being better in terms of both interiors and exteriors compared to VX. So i would like to know from you and other storme owners whether VX is really worth a buy just for airbags? or should i settle for EX? Please advise, since it can make significant savings on my pocket if i am convinced that EX would suffice!

lazybrain: Good decision on buying the Storme and the timing will ensure you get the benefit of the excise duty reduction as well.

For me the debate was between Ex and Lx and I felt I could live without the features the Ex came with. Also I liked the Lx interior colours ( all though ideally I would have loved the all black interiors that are offered in export models which was displayed in some auto show 2-3 yrs bac )

@Swiftandfurious -Brown is available in the Ex as well

Last edited by narayan : 24th February 2014 at 13:16.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:32   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is that something to do with the new financial year employee benefits? Else it is a better time to buy the car NOW! With the duty cuts and also the current road taxes. In April, the new road taxes will come into picture and there could be a price hike also making it all the more expensive.
The only reason I am buying the car during April 2014 is to arrange for as much down payment as possible (Rs. 6 lakhs or more) and AFAIK the new excise duty reduction is applicable until June 2014? This means the discount will still be applicable at least in the month of April? As of yesterday - the revised price for VX 4x2 was around 15, 70,000 INR on-road in bangalore compared to the original price of around 16, 28,000 INR few days back. The price i mentioned does not include extended warranty and AMC which is again optional.
Old 24th February 2014, 13:49   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
....@Swiftandfurious -Brown is available in the Ex as well
Thanks. Was it there right from beginning or introduced later on EX? I was under the impression it was available ONLY on VX.

Quote:
The only reason I am buying the car during April 2014 is to arrange for as much down payment as possible (Rs. 6 lakhs or more) and AFAIK the new excise duty reduction is applicable until June 2014? This means the discount will still be applicable at least in the month of April? As of yesterday - the revised price for VX 4x2 was around 15, 70,000 INR on-road in bangalore compared to the original price of around 16, 28,000 INR few days back. The price i mentioned does not include extended warranty and AMC which is again optional.
The excise cut might be valid till June. But as I said, the additional road tax might increase the cost of the car and will reduce the benefit. Add to it, in case of a price hike in April. We never know what these manufacturers will do.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 14:00   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of yesterday - the revised price for VX 4x2 was around 15, 70,000 INR on-road in bangalore compared to the original price of around 16, 28,000 INR few days back. The price i mentioned does not include extended warranty and AMC which is again optional.
Lazybrain: Can you share the break up ? What are the discounts they are offering currently ? Is the HU and speakers missing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks. Was it there right from beginning or introduced later on EX? I was under the impression it was available ONLY on VX.
Yes right from launch
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 19:09   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Lazybrain: Can you share the break up ? What are the discounts they are offering currently ? Is the HU and speakers missing ?
Yes the price includes HU and speakers (Blaupunkt i was told). Please see below the break up (sorry for the poor quality pic as this was captured from mobile):

Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold!-storme.jpg

I was also told i will get an additional Rs. 20000 cash discount if i buy the vehicle this month along with 20000 old car exchange bonus. This makes the on road pricing of storme to approx. Rs. 15,30,000 minus actual value of our old car offered. I must admit it is a real mouth watering deal and getting seriously super tempted.

@MODS: Please move the last few posts on this thread to the official Strome thread if you believe these discussions do not belong here and sorry for any inconvenience
lazybrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 19:16   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the price includes HU and speakers (Blaupunkt i was told). Please see below the break up (sorry for the poor quality pic as this was captured from mobile):

I was also told i will get an additional Rs. 20000 cash discount if i buy the vehicle this month along with 20000 old car exchange bonus. This makes the on road pricing of storme to approx. Rs. 15,30,000 minus actual value of our old car offered. I must admit it is a real mouth watering deal and getting seriously super tempted.
Lazybrain : the exshowroom price has dropped quite significantly after the duty cut and importantly gone below the 10lakh mark which would have given good road tax savings also. Be cautious on the exchange bonus. I have seen this to be a eyewash because the dealer would undervalue your car anyway. but otherwise good deal. Of course try to extract more if possible but importantly get home the beast soon to start enjoying her as well
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 23:03   #179

Narayan: I am following your thread quite regularly which has been very helpful to get a fair idea about the new Safari Storme as we were considering to buy the Lx variant. After the excise duty reduction, I am being offered the Lx at an on-road price of Rs. 11.04 Lacs, without any negotiations, here in Udaipur (RJ). The Lx ad Ex variants are now being offered without any music system. Also test drove the storme for the first time and following are my observations:-

1.) I am 6' tall and to my surprise I could not find a comfortable driving position even after fiddling with all the seat adjusting levers (although the Lx variant doesn't come with a seat height adjuster). While the steering wheel was not brushing my legs/knees, there was absolutely no under thigh support and the seating was feeling very similar to the new Verna.

2.) The engine felt crude with lot of engine noise constantly filtering in to the cabin along with a discomforting hum. But the feel of VGT shooting in was good.

3.) I was feeling slight pain in my left leg after 15-20 mins of driving.

4.) Rear seat was truly comfortable, quite opposite to the front ones. Also, the NVH was very much acceptable at rear seat.

5.) Material quality, over all build quality and drive experience was much improved over the Dicor but, the Dicor had more comfortable front seats.

6.) Breaking was excellent, handling was good with slight top heavy feel and all round visibility is also great.

The vehicle which I test drove was a brand new Ex variant which had done a few 100 Km and my daily drive is a Ritz petrol and I also drive vehicles like Sumo, Bolero, 407, on regular basis which are official ones.

Although I was excited to see the reduced price but all that excitement got dozed off after the test drive. It would be helpful if you or any one could give their inputs on the negatives from my observations regarding the front seat's comfort and NVH levels. Thanks.

Regards,
Ravi.
Old 25th February 2014, 13:39   #180
Senior - BHPian

Ravi
I have given my comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFT View Post
1.) I am 6' tall and to my surprise I could not find a comfortable driving position even after fiddling with all the seat adjusting levers (although the Lx variant doesn't come with a seat height adjuster). While the steering wheel was not brushing my legs/knees, there was absolutely no under thigh support and the seating was feeling very similar to the new Verna.

Your observation is right. The seating position is a slight let down when you look at the size of the beast from outside. I am 5'11". I find getting in difficult and then its fine. But now I am used to all of that and hence no problems at all. I would suggest you do one more detailed TD. spend some time adjusting the steering and the seat position ( sliding function ) and check if you are able to settle into a comfortable position ( which I think you should because there are many 6 footers in the forum who own the Storme )

2.) The engine felt crude with lot of engine noise constantly filtering in to the cabin along with a discomforting hum. But the feel of VGT shooting in was good.

I dont find the engine crude from the noise perspective. In fact manytimes I notice pedestrians/two wheelers who come very close to the beast don't notice the sound and suddenly get taken aback when they get the visual cue. Also noise does come down as you progress into ownership. Again pls try a few more TDs to reassertain this fact. Lastly if your frame of reference is the petrol Ritz, then you might find the engine noisy

3.) I was feeling slight pain in my left leg after 15-20 mins of driving.

Again refer my earlier response. Pls do a few more TDs and then decide

The pricing you have is really good. But I think Rajasthan road tax must be really low

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks