Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 07:44   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Is this due to static electricity? Is this common or unusual? Why does it happen? Anything I could do to prevent it? Is this a problem with the car? Should I report this to my service center?
Can you get the car's earthing checked and also the wiring may be. I have doubts over the earthing.

Take the car to Ford and report the issue as it may interfere with accessories too. May be the FM reception can have a link here.

Anurag.
Old 25th September 2013, 08:55   #62
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport - static electricity shock

Quote:
Got a minor momentary electric shock a couple of times from our Ford EcoSport yesterday. The first one was in the morning when I was getting off the car and touched the metal on the driver's side door. The second time it was from the key when I handed it over to the regular valet parking attendant at the gym; he also experienced the minor momentary electric shock from the key and was surprised.

Is this due to static electricity? Is this common or unusual? Why does it happen? Anything I could do to prevent it? Is this a problem with the car? Should I report this to my service center?
This is quite normal and nothing wrong with your car. Depends upon the weather and material of clothes you are wearing. Its you who is getting charged with static electricity and you get a shock when you touch any metallic object or another person and both receive a shock. To avoid the shock, just touch your elbow/ shoulder to the car body while alighting and you will hear the sound of spark and the static discharges.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:07   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got a minor momentary electric shock a couple of times from our Ford EcoSport yesterday. The first one was in the morning when I was getting off the car and touched the metal on the driver's side door. The second time it was from the key when I handed it over to the regular valet parking attendant at the gym; he also experienced the minor momentary electric shock from the key and was surprised.

Am facing the same issue with my ecosport. I had this problem in my swift and thought it was due to the bad wiring as I had custom audio setup, DRL's, Projector headlights and etc which had extra and custom wiring. But facing the same with ecosport. Dont know whether it's a common problem. Anyways, planning to mention this when I go for the first service.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:

100% static electricity. Culprit will be the combination of Seat Cover & some particular dresses you are wearing. Also if you have a CDMA phone in your pocket that could be a reason also.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Spark would shoot out a couple of inches to ground on the house gate or the petrol pump attendant. Tracked it down to some pant shirt combos. Disposed them off. Whenever I feel particularly dry environment I ground myself on the main gate before getting into the car.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a minor momentary electric shock a couple of times from our Ford EcoSport yesterday.
Nothing to worry! It's static electricity. There is nothing wrong with your vehicle.

I, too, get this sometimes in my Swift. It is a direct correlation between the seat upholstery fabric and the material of your clothes. I've seen that this tends to be more if you are wearing polyester-mixed material shirt along with synthetic/terylene-mixed material trousers. Have never experienced this with Jeans-cotton T-shirt combo !
Old 25th September 2013, 11:42   #66
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Ownership Review

This is an area where leather/faux leather upholstery helps, as it prevents the buildup of static electricity.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:46   #67
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Radio reception quality

Quote:
Is it just my EcoSport or does anyone else feel that the quality of reception in the FM radio varies from time to time? At times it is crisp and at times it is muffled as if a thick blanket has been thrown over the speakers. In Chennai I have never noticed this in my other cars. Most of us in the family feel that our Honda Jazz has a better FM radio reception quality.

Would appreciate feedback from EcoSport owners on the forum.
Check "ecosport rules" ownership thread here: (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...red-india.html).

He had the same issue with reception and changed the antenna. The new one is shorter and hence looks better too.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:59   #68
BHPian

Any idea when they are likely to reopen bookings. Any one on the thread from Mumbai who could throw some light on what sort of back-logs currently on for the Automatic?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd January 2014, 21:36   #69
BHPian

5000 kms completed: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Ownership Review

Completed 5000 kilometers of satisfying driving of our Ford EcoSport Petrol 1.5L AT - Automatic Transmission - a few days ago. All well except the persistent minor but irritating 'static electricity' shocks and varying reception quality on the FM radio channels.
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:23   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Completed 5000 kilometers of satisfying driving of our Ford EcoSport Petrol 1.5L AT - Automatic Transmission - a few days ago. All well except the persistent minor but irritating 'static electricity' shocks and varying reception quality on the FM radio channels.

I get static electricity shocks from any car in this season because the air is so dry and charged with electricity! Hardly the car's fault...
Old 3rd January 2014, 08:11   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT- To get rid of static electric shocks, keep yourself hydrated and before touching any large metallic object like car or gate, discharge yourself by either touching your bare foot to ground or hand to a wall. I used to get these shocks everyday, it was shocking for others as I would give them also severe jolts. Thankfully its less now. Google about Static Electricity and you'll learn more.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 03:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
OT- To get rid of static electric shocks, keep yourself hydrated and before touching any large metallic object like car or gate, discharge yourself by either touching your bare foot to ground or hand to a wall. I used to get these shocks everyday, it was shocking for others as I would give them also severe jolts. Thankfully its less now. Google about Static Electricity and you'll learn more.
It's when I touch the metallic portion of the car body before or after getting down from the car (with footwear - mostly Crocs of late) that I get this shock.

Yes, Our younger son, and the persons who handle the valet parking at our hospital and the gym I frequent etc have also got these jolts and have been frightened initially. The valets say that they do not experience this shock with other cars.

So why does it happen with our Ford EcoSport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I get static electricity shocks from any car in this season because the air is so dry and charged with electricity! Hardly the car's fault...
Strangely enough, I don't get these 'static electricity' shocks when I am using our Honda Jazz or Toyota Corolla Altis and it's definitely not seasonal - I have been getting these jolts from the time we purchased the Ford EcoSport. I use the other two cars also regularly - once or twice a week as compared to almost daily use of our Ford EcoSport. In fact, I have never experienced such shocks in any of the cars I have ever driven or owned.

Old 12th January 2014, 12:25   #73
BHPian

Quote:

My hypothesis is that there is some voltage "leaking" someone that is "electrifying" the car.

My suggestion is the following:

1. Check the voltage of any metallic part of the car under varying conditions like:

a. ignition off
b. ignition on but engine off
c. engine on

If you are getting a shock always then there has to be a substantial voltage between ground and the part that gives you the shock

You may use any voltmeter with an electrician to check the voltage

2. If it is (a.) discharge any static by earthing the car with a wire. If it is (b) then check to see if the battery bay area voltage, and if it is (c) then I get a feeling it requires handling by Ford because something somewhere is acting like a "generator" when the car is running with engine on.

Cheers,
Old 6th April 2014, 01:36   #74
BHPian

Hi a quick question. I saw in one of the reviews that ecosport AT Offers 10 yrs 2.5 lac kms warranty for transmission only . Please confirm if your came with it.
Old 6th April 2014, 08:12   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post
Hi a quick question. I saw in one of the reviews that ecosport AT Offers 10 yrs 2.5 lac kms warranty for transmission only . Please confirm if your came with it.
It started with Fiesta AT. It was offered with 2 Years / 100K (Odo) warranty for the AT box. Looks like Ecosport has moved it up to 1.5L km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks