Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 00:31   #16
djs
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Ownership Review

Congratulations on your new buy, car looks awesome. I really enjoyed reading the Mystery part, you seem to be very lucky. More so with 30+ AT booking still pending and you taking home your ride even though you booked rather late. Let us know how do you feel about the Hill Assist. Enjoy and Ride Safe.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Congrats!! I thought Ecosport comes two remote keys. I remember seeing this on a Ecoboost at Elite Ford Bangalore. The car was being brought down from logistic truck and i saw two remote keys.
That's right. Ecoboost Titanium comes with two remote keys and both have the manual key embedded in it under the cover.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Ecosport and the choice of color. IMO the White and Silver color palette, however generic and common, look best on SUV's and Quasi-SUV's. They're even easier to maintain.

What kind of mileage does the AT give you? I understand that the car is still new, but a tentative figure might give other potential buyers and idea of what they should expect, if they're looking to buy one.

Drive safe.
Old 27th August 2013, 15:18   #19
BHPian

Did I see 15 km/l on the MID? If that's a yes for a new 1.5 AT, I guess it's worth. Can you please put up the FE figures for the 1.5?
Old 27th August 2013, 15:54   #20
BHPian

Congrats on being one of the few owners of the Ecosport AT. IMO the AT option is not being offered by anyother player in this segment. I managed to get a test drive of ecoboost as the dealer didnot have an AT test drive vehicle. Enjoy your drives in the city and be careful on the highways above 90-100 kmph. If you have been driving sedans which can be thrown around corners and flicked at higher speeds on highways, ecosport handling can be little tricky due to the height of the vehicle.

Unfortunately the company has closed the bookings for most of the variants including AT. I wish there was an AT option in terrano / duster petrol models which would help some comparision.

drive safe.
Old 28th August 2013, 14:21   #21
BHPian

Never mind! Should have tried to look a bit more closely. It's a scale of 0 to 30 km/l and 15 is bang in the middle right next to "Km/l". Confused FE to be 15 km/l
Old 29th August 2013, 11:05   #22
BHPian

Congratulations Murugan. You truly have bought a gem of a car. How did you like the high speed stability this Ford has to offer? Is it worth buying this beast for occasional highway runs with a family?. Especially considering the narrow rear seat that can't seat 3 abreast comfortably. How much FE is the engine returning?

Kudos
Old 29th August 2013, 22:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
^^

Congratulations. I get mine in the coming week.

The side board/ step is not recommended since it will cause the sensors mounted on the side for the curtain and side airbags to not function properly. This is true only for the AT and Titanium Plus models in Manual.

Suggest you get the Official Rear view Camera (18K) it will prevent the warranty getting void and in this the internal rear view mirror is replaced.

You are lucky to get the Goodyear tyres.
Thank you and my advance Congratulations to you for your upcoming EcoSport. Please share your thoughts on your car when you get it. Are you getting the automatic transmission variant?

Thanks for the warning about installing a side board/ step. The seating position of the EcoSport not being too high, as in a Fortuner for instance, is one more reason not to install it.

Just a technical curiosity - How does the side board/ step interfere with the functioning of the curtain and side airbags?

The market price for rear view camera with the display integrated in the rear view mirror is much lower compared to the official one; a fraction of the cost in fact. Guess for fear of voiding the warranty I will go for the official Ford one when I decide to install one.

Do all Automatic transmission versions come with Good Year tires?
Murugan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 08:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Just a technical curiosity - How does the side board/ step interfere with the functioning of the curtain and side airbags?
To my knowledge the sensor for curtail airbags will be often mounted in the B pillars (the structural area between the front and rear doors) or in the door itself. The protrusion of Side Running Board from the B Pillars / Door may hamper the normal functioning of sensors.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:46   #25
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you and my advance Congratulations to you for your upcoming EcoSport. Please share your thoughts on your car when you get it. Are you getting the automatic transmission variant?

Thanks for the warning about installing a side board/ step. The seating position of the EcoSport not being too high, as in a Fortuner for instance, is one more reason not to install it.

The market price for rear view camera with the display integrated in the rear view mirror is much lower compared to the official one; a fraction of the cost in fact. Guess for fear of voiding the warranty I will go for the official Ford one when I decide to install one.

Do all Automatic transmission versions come with Good Year tires?
Thanks. Got mine (Kinetic Blue AT) on Wednesday. Yet to compete the Registration Formalities though so am just going around the house area.

Mine came with Goodyears but there are others who have got MRF as well. MRF though more common on the lower variants there are some even with Titanium (in both Manual and AT) who have landed up with MRF.

I will stick to the current tyres for now. Will change around 30K kms if required.

The rear view camera that ford supplies replaced the internal rear view mirror entirely and fits into the windshield mounted plastic holder like the original mirror. In case of after market ones they have a clamp that latches on to the existing mirror and sits in front of it. Now this make the aftermarket mirrors vibrate more on the rough roads, bring them a bit ahead vs. the driver (too close) and in general they do not fit that well. This plus the ford warranty loss issue is sufficient to justify the 18K odd for the official accessory. Infact unless one is anyways voiding the warranty through some other addition will suggest that this is among the most important accessories that one should get hold of.

Evidently there are some sensors (don't really know what kind - impact, motion, Gyro, Acceleration or whatever) that are affected by the side step and hence one is advised not to fit them. Infact if one looks in the original accessories list itself then it is not mentioned as an option for the AT and the Titanium (O) variants only and they are the only ones with side air bags.

Will take about 10 days to post my detailed review.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 09:19   #26

Hi ACM, where did you book your AT from, in Bombay ? And when did you book it ?
I have booked an AT in the same colour, can't wait for mine to come.
Old 31st August 2013, 18:07   #27
BHPian

Lucky you !. There are many who have paid the booking amounts and still waiting and you managed an express delivery without even actually paying the booking amount, great feat and a nice one at that

Congrats on your purchase and happy motoring. By the way how does putting a seat cover affect the curtain/side airbags?. How many airbags do the petrol AT version have. And also how good is the hill climb assist.
Old 1st September 2013, 04:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
To my knowledge the sensor for curtail airbags will be often mounted in the B pillars (the structural area between the front and rear doors) or in the door itself. The protrusion of Side Running Board from the B Pillars / Door may hamper the normal functioning of sensors.
If the side running board physically protects the rest of the car from the impact, it is quite possible that the impact is not very severe (there might be some exceptions to this statement); then the airbag not deploying might be a boon in fact. Correct me if I am wrong since I am just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Thanks. Got mine (Kinetic Blue AT) on Wednesday. Yet to compete the Registration Formalities though so am just going around the house area.

Mine came with Goodyears but there are others who have got MRF as well. MRF though more common on the lower variants there are some even with Titanium (in both Manual and AT) who have landed up with MRF.

I will stick to the current tyres for now. Will change around 30K kms if required.

The rear view camera that ford supplies replaced the internal rear view mirror entirely and fits into the windshield mounted plastic holder like the original mirror. In case of after market ones they have a clamp that latches on to the existing mirror and sits in front of it. Now this make the aftermarket mirrors vibrate more on the rough roads, bring them a bit ahead vs. the driver (too close) and in general they do not fit that well. This plus the ford warranty loss issue is sufficient to justify the 18K odd for the official accessory. Infact unless one is anyways voiding the warranty through some other addition will suggest that this is among the most important accessories that one should get hold of.

Evidently there are some sensors (don't really know what kind - impact, motion, Gyro, Acceleration or whatever) that are affected by the side step and hence one is advised not to fit them. Infact if one looks in the original accessories list itself then it is not mentioned as an option for the AT and the Titanium (O) variants only and they are the only ones with side air bags.

Will take about 10 days to post my detailed review.
Congrats on your new EcoSport!

Why do you plan to change your tires at 30K? Is that the usual change schedule or are you not happy with Goodyear either?

Agree with all your thoughts on the rear view mirror - "make the aftermarket mirrors vibrate more on the rough roads, bring them a bit ahead vs. the driver (too close) and in general they do not fit that well". I have noticed similar issues in my Corolla Altis (though nothing related to the insurance hopefully as it was fitted by Lanson Toyota) since the reverse sensor came with a clamp-on mirror. The one added on my Altis does not have a day-night function either and I sorely miss that function.

Link to my post on team-bhp about the reverse sensor - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...a-altis-2.html

If the reverse mirror or any other accessory is fitted by the dealer and if it is not part of the manufacturer's accessory list, will that void the warranty?

Does the Ford accessory have a tiltable day night mirror or is it automatic day-night sensing? I am asking this since the picture of this accessory on the Ford web side appears to have some buttons and a switch. Link to a picture of the listed the accessory here, at the Ford India website - http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosp...=1249024488483

How will sensors in the car be affected by he physical addition of the side step? Just a technical doubt even though I have given up the idea of fitting side steps.

Where did you find the original accessory list that is exclusive for the AT variant? Both Chennai dealers showed me a list that does not mention variant specific accessories.

Look forward to your review and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Lucky you !. There are many who have paid the booking amounts and still waiting and you managed an express delivery without even actually paying the booking amount, great feat and a nice one at that

Congrats on your purchase and happy motoring. By the way how does putting a seat cover affect the curtain/side airbags?. How many airbags do the petrol AT version have. And also how good is the hill climb assist.
Thank you. As mentioned in my post, the non-payment of the advance was not deliberate! The early delivery reinforced my faith in the authenticity of the booking process and systems in place.

The airbags inside the seat will not deploy if the they are covered by the regular additional seat covers since they will physically prevent the airbags from opening - this is what I am told. May be there are seat covers designed that will get over this restraining issue - my dealer says that he does not have any such seat cover at the moment but he will be getting something from Ford soon.

The petrol AT version has 6 airbags. Limited experience with the 'hill climb assist' when the car climbs in to our parking space at home indicates that it is useful; the engine does not get accidentally over-revved and the car does not roll back accidentally.
Murugan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 08:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:

If the side running board physically protects the rest of the car from the impact, it is quite possible that the impact is not very severe (there might be some exceptions to this statement); then the airbag not deploying might be a boon in fact. Correct me if I am wrong since I am just guessing.

Does the Ford accessory have a tiltable day night mirror or is it automatic day-night sensing?
I agree that side running board may save you few pennies but the big question is what if on a severe side impact and the sensor fail to actuate the curtain air bag?

Now I have another similar question running in my mind, won't this be applicable for SUV's/MUV's fitted with front nudge bar as well, won't this nudge bar takes a portion of the impact on a frontal collision that may prevent actuation of passenger & driver air bags? Would like to understand more on this may be ACM sir or other technical experts can shed some light on this.

Also EcoSport is factory fitted with tilttable day night centre rear view mirror and the accessories list is not having an auto light sensing mirrors.
Old 1st September 2013, 10:37   #30

Many congrats on your new ride. I have just one doubt, in the Ecosport how do you flash the headlights while driving to warn oncoming traffic? I am doubtful because the headlight switch is european type and not the regular stalk found in hyundai cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks