Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 14:23   #121
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, inspired by Amyth's experience, I got the coil springs of my 2011 Fluidic Verna VTVT changed under warranty by Hyundai. While I could feel the stiffness & ride quality get better, I never had a chance to try it out on open highway to see the effects till recently.

However, the past week, I had to drive to various distant places for work & have managed to put about 1500 kms total. I got a chance to compare the new ride with how the car rode before it got the stiffer coil upgrades.

Only one word to describe it; 'WOW'!!

The car felt much much MUCH better planted on the roads. The ride was better composed over the potholes & speed breakers. There was no 'sponginess', for lack of a better word, while going over rough roads/potholes.

The car definitely feels much better! In fact, I am kicking myself that I waited so long to get the changes done. The bad roads on which I had to cringe due to the wallowy suspension everytime I went over a pothole, seemed like I could glide over them without breaking a sweat.

Can't recommend the new spring coils enough!
Desi Dybuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 14:09   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
Can't recommend the new spring coils enough!
My 'Blackbrűlée' Verna's 1 year service is due in a couple of weeks. Now that theres enough endorsement of the discernible experience the new coil springs make to the ride quality, It definitely makes a case for my 'Blackbrűlée' to get the coil springs replaced.

However, when I was at Hyundai ASC the last time for waterwash, I alluded to the fact that Hyundai has released a TSB for coil spring replacement but the service centre exec was typical in his denial. He although assured me of a test drive to figure out a solution for the same but I haven't been to ASC ever since. I would like to know from you guys if there is any merit in the argument that an ASC exec should ratify the need for a replacement in this case?
Even then I would fight tooth and nail if a situation were to present itself, that would be my last resort though.

Please let me know how your approach was.

Cheers,
Old 7th June 2014, 15:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancinstallion View Post
However, when I was at Hyundai ASC the last time for waterwash, I alluded to the fact that Hyundai has released a TSB for coil spring replacement but the service centre exec was typical in his denial. He although assured me of a test drive to figure out a solution for the same but I haven't been to ASC ever since. I would like to know from you guys if there is any merit in the argument that an ASC exec should ratify the need for a replacement in this case?
Even then I would fight tooth and nail if a situation were to present itself, that would be my last resort though.
Cheers,
The service centre warranty managers do have to ratify that the ride is indeed soft. However, as usual, they'll come back & say that everything's fine.

You have to INSIST that ASC perform the spring changes on all four as per Hyundai TSB. If they don't budge, move higher up the chain. If that doesn't work, go to a different dealer & see if they're sympathetic. In my case also, as I stood firm, the ASC relented & got the parts.

My advice is to not give in. There's a TSB & it does indeed make the ride better. Hyundai is just trying to limit it's warranty costs by hoping that if they make it difficult enough, the non-serious customers wouldn't put up a fight.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 16:59   #124
BHPian

Quote:
The service centre warranty managers do have to ratify that the ride is indeed soft. However, as usual, they'll come back & say that everything's fine.

You have to INSIST that ASC perform the spring changes on all four as per Hyundai TSB. If they don't budge, move higher up the chain. If that doesn't work, go to a different dealer & see if they're sympathetic. In my case also, as I stood firm, the ASC relented & got the parts.

My advice is to not give in. There's a TSB & it does indeed make the ride better. Hyundai is just trying to limit it's warranty costs by hoping that if they make it difficult enough, the non-serious customers wouldn't put up a fight.
Yeah, I do agree with you that few Hyundai ASCs could well fool around with an unsuspecting customer but I don't think my regular Hyundai ASC here can afford to snub me on that as I will take them for a ride..No pun intended!

Were you able to access the TSB?

I would expect Hyundai to be forthcoming on issues like these. Its only in the recent past that car manufacturers have been vocal about the recalls whereas its commonplace in US/EUR. Warranty based issues too should feature in this list.
Old 11th June 2014, 02:06   #125
BHPian

Quote:

Were you able to access the TSB?
No, unfortunately the ASC treats them as if it's got India's nuclear launch codes.

Quote:

I would expect Hyundai to be forthcoming on issues like these. Its only in the recent past that car manufacturers have been vocal about the recalls whereas its commonplace in US/EUR. Warranty based issues too should feature in this list.
But technically, the soft suspension isn't a manufacturing defect per se. There's no safety or manufacturing defect with the suspension.

It's only that Hyndai probably heard that a lot of people were not happy with the softly-tuned suspension & stiffened it up. Even the TSB apparently says that the springs will be changed only if the customer complains. In fact, if many more opt to get the springs replaced under warranty, Hyundai can wash their hands off if they feel like it.
Old 18th June 2014, 01:46   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But technically, the soft suspension isn't a manufacturing defect per se. There's no safety or manufacturing defect with the suspension.
Even then there are complaints of silencer cracks due to Verna's bottoming out which means stiffer suspension could avoid this problem.

I feel Hyundai should have encouraged dealers to replace the springs for customers without giving much trouble or I just think Dealers want to save some money by not replacing it for customers, either way next month I will be nagging my dealer to change my springs too.
Old 21st June 2014, 20:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I did change my front springs, but it was an ordeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyth Prabhakar View Post
I spoke to my SA and here is what he said.
The TSB is not publicised and only the Service Authorities have them.
He told me that they have been given clear directions from Hyundai to replace them if the customer asks for it and the car is under warranty period.
Hi Voyager-1 and Amyth

I gave my car today for the 30k service and to get a door dent fixed. Regarding the suspension I pressed them for the thud issue as well as the soft nature of the springs which were being replaced down South but he was unaware about it. I asked him to get it verified from the warranty guy but response was not satisfactory so the SA informed me that if I can get the Work Order number from the people that have got this done, something can be done about it as the Work order will have the TSB number indicated/printed. Request you to please contact your service center where you got the springs changed. The invoice number will not help as per the SA.
Old 25th June 2014, 22:27   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
Hi Voyager-1 and Amyth

I gave my car today for the 30k service and to get a door dent fixed. Regarding the suspension I pressed them for the thud issue as well as the soft nature of the springs which were being replaced down South but he was unaware about it. I asked him to get it verified from the warranty guy but response was not satisfactory so the SA informed me that if I can get the Work Order number from the people that have got this done, something can be done about it as the Work order will have the TSB number indicated/printed. Request you to please contact your service center where you got the springs changed. The invoice number will not help as per the SA.
I will call up my SA and ask him to dig out this info,but as far as i know this is not going to help you much. The TSB is something that is universal to all Hyundai dealers across the country. Most of them outside Bangalore are facing this issue.I still don't understand the mystery behind its localisation to only certain service centers. I am guessing this has probably got something to do with Service center Reputation and rating.. so this would depend upon how well they are positioned against other dealers.. if they stand out well..probably the hyundai would have given them the TSB.. please remember this entirely my guess work.. i am too not aware of the actual story behind the scenes.. but in real this is not how it would be... Anyway i will do the needful..
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:01   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
Regarding the suspension I pressed them for the thud issue as well as the soft nature of the springs which were being replaced down South but he was unaware about it. I asked him to get it verified from the warranty guy but response was not satisfactory
I do not know what's the problem with Hyundai's Delhi dealers! I tell you, down here in South, our dealers seem to care to keep a customer happy & shut up than have a whining customer bad mouthing them to potential customers.

Maybe this is one more reason for you to move south to Namma Bengaluru??
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:21   #130
BANNED

I am another owner of verna posting to get rid of my spongy bumpy drive.
I purchased a new 2014 variant Wine red verna, And I feel dejected about when the car rubs on crappy pot holes and road humps of Bangalore. I donno what to do, Would spacers be right ??? I had them to my Swift Dzire in the past, But the suspensions crapped out soon, Hence do not wanna go this path...

Any other suggesions, Would showroom guys do some thing about it???
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:04   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_gg View Post
I purchased a new 2014 variant Wine red verna, And I feel dejected about when the car rubs on crappy pot holes and road humps of Bangalore. I donno what to do, Would spacers be right ??? I had them to my Swift Dzire in the past, But the suspensions crapped out soon, Hence do not wanna go this path...

I would stay away from Spacers. (Others might disagree with me, but I'd rather not change the OEM spec).

Since your previous ride was a Swift, you need to get used to driving a car with reduced ground clearance. It would be the same case with City or Vento as they all have clearances of 165-170mm. In few weeks, you'd be intutively learn the skill of driving low ground clearance cars. (Now, if you had chosen Fiat Linea, the 185mm ground clearance on it would be comparable to your old Swift)

Since yours is a 2014 Verna, you already have the latest coil springs. I have a 2011 & barring few weeks in the beginning, I drive carefully enough that I don't hit the undersides anymore.
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:10   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel dejected about when the car rubs on crappy pot holes and road humps of Bangalore. I donno what to do, Would spacers be right ??? I had them to my Swift Dzire in the past, But the suspensions crapped out soon, Hence do not wanna go this path...

Well Raghu, I own a 3rd gen Honda City Ivtec which was born with a low ground clearance issue. I did not go in for spacers as it harms the suspension and overall ride of the car. If you are looking for showroom people then be ready for another disappointment since they will not help at all.

I am giving you a desi and a non-expensive way to improve your car's height and reduce the scrapping issue; Get the front mud-flaps cut by 2-3 inches and for sure you will see the difference because they are the ones which rub against the speed bumps. In my car after doing this 8 out 10 times it does not hit the speed breakers. I even told this suggestion to the Ace Honda people and they were surprised about it but agreed that this is one good way to address the issue.

As for the expense in this process, it costed me only Rs. 20/-. You may do it as DIY as well. All you need is a proper "Aari Blade" which can be bought from any hardware shop for about 20-30 rupees.

Here is a pic of my car. Hope it helps.

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-img_0655.jpg

Thanks.

PS: On higher bumps do try to angle your car slightly diagonal. It also helps.
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:18   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am surprised that you are reporting this on the 2014 Verna
I thought the issue was already solved with the 2014 variant.

Chitta Pradhan installed the Spacers/Assisters and has been very happy with it. He also checked that ABS etc works well despite the changes/modifications made. You can read more about it here: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 2nd July 2014 at 19:20.
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:48   #134
BHPian

This is a wonderful thread,nice review by the author and some really useful info about a wonderful car. I am a Verna fan myself and am planning to buy one shortly. Definitely with the introduction of City diesel,I guess there may be many like me who are confused regarding whether to go for city diesel or a verna!! My one big fear is whether Hyundai will bring a face lifted version of the verna since this one was launched in 2011? Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorKK View Post
This is a wonderful thread,nice review by the author and some really useful info about a wonderful car. I am a Verna fan myself and am planning to buy one shortly. Definitely with the introduction of City diesel,I guess there may be many like me who are confused regarding whether to go for city diesel or a verna!! My one big fear is whether Hyundai will bring a face lifted version of the verna since this one was launched in 2011? Does anyone have any info regarding this?
Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
I went thru the same confusion and landed up with the new Honda City. I have posted the comparison brochure created by Honda Dealers on my post here: URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks