Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 19:47   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
Ouch, that's a bad dent.

More on that plastic popping out, I recently test drove the Jetta AT. Came back happy with the engine and other aspects, but me and my dad were hugely disappointed by the amount of rattling.

The TD car from Ramani Coimbatore had done 25K kms only. It was surprising to see so much rattles. My friend bought one 12 months ago and his car was rattling from day one. His car has now run 7K kms and the noise seems to have only increased.

Can any current owners confirm that this is a common issue among Jettas?
I am facing the rattle only from the center armrest which I fixed using some cellotape. Other than that, no rattles. As mentioned already, once you start driving the car, you will forgive the jetta for its lack of equipment or any other shortcomings!
sabirsalam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 10:14   #242
Senior - BHPian

re: Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Arm-rest has never troubled me. How can it make noise when it is under the weight of your hand.. Strange.?

Maybe, you have kept something inside that is creating the issue.. Coins?
It's not the armrest that's making noise Chethan, there's a rectangular piece directly under the cover that rattles a bit only on rough roads. Placing a hand on it does quieten it a bit, but that's not really a fix, now is it?

I've actually emptied out the contents of its interiors, there's nothing in it now. I've felt that little rectangular bit I mentioned and it is a bit loose, which leads me to surmise that it is indeed the source of the rattling. I have to admit, in the course of normal driving, it doesn't crop up, but it's only on very uneven or rough roads that it pops up, and it annoys me so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabirsalam View Post
I also am facing the issue with the armrest. Having been living with it for about one year now. I had used some cellotape to keep it from rattling and it has helped. Since nobody will see that part anyway, I am okay for now.
Cellotape could work, I reckon. A crude, but probable fix. Maybe it's something worth exploring, so thanks for the idea!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 14:58   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabirsalam View Post
I am facing the rattle only from the center armrest which I fixed using some cellotape. Other than that, no rattles. As mentioned already, once you start driving the car, you will forgive the jetta for its lack of equipment or any other shortcomings!
That's quite livable. My friend's Jetta rattles near the sound system, front and rear doors, and just around the rear arm rest. We took it to the dealership just 2 days after purchase but they have not been able to rectify. He's now living with it.

Thanks guys. I'll take another TD to arrive at a conclusion. VW Coimbatore has asked me to test their manual TD car and promise that it won't have any issues. Fingers crossed.
br_876 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 19:54   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
It's not the armrest that's making noise Chethan, there's a rectangular piece directly under the cover that rattles a bit only on rough roads. Placing a hand on it does quieten it a bit, but that's not really a fix, now is it?

I've actually emptied out the contents of its interiors, there's nothing in it now. I've felt that little rectangular bit I mentioned and it is a bit loose, which leads me to surmise that it is indeed the source of the rattling. I have to admit, in the course of normal driving, it doesn't crop up, but it's only on very uneven or rough roads that it pops up, and it annoys me so.

Cellotape could work, I reckon. A crude, but probable fix. Maybe it's something worth exploring, so thanks for the idea!
Yup. Crude it is! I have used black one so it doesn't look that bad. Anyway, if you find any other workaround, let me know
Old 13th August 2015, 23:41   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
That's quite livable. My friend's Jetta rattles near the sound system, front and rear doors, and just around the rear arm rest. We took it to the dealership just 2 days after purchase but they have not been able to rectify. He's now living with it.

Thanks guys. I'll take another TD to arrive at a conclusion. VW Coimbatore has asked me to test their manual TD car and promise that it won't have any issues. Fingers crossed.
Hello, My Jetta too rattles near the sound system, But i have decided to live with it, I suggest that your friend shouldn't force VW to fix it anyhow, Since they might endup creating other issues, (Happened with me twice) Both the time when i had complained regarding the rattling issue near the sound system.
I have decided to live with it now.
Old 14th August 2015, 12:28   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hello, My Jetta too rattles near the sound system, But i have decided to live with it, I suggest that your friend shouldn't force VW to fix it anyhow, Since they might endup creating other issues, (Happened with me twice) Both the time when i had complained regarding the rattling issue near the sound system.

I have decided to live with it now.

This happened to my Jetta twice:

1. Immediately after purchase, I noticed a rattling noise around the doors. I immediately called up the workshop and fired them - how can they deliver a new car without checking? It was a door lubrication issue and they did the needful. No charge.

2. Recently, the central locking started malfunctioning. It would try to auto lock after a few seconds of starting the car - would not be able to auto lock - and would continue try doing so - resulting a whirring noise. Again, under warranty so got it replaced. But in doing so, they seem to have done something to one of the back doors, which is making a slight ratting noise from inside. Don't have the patience to again take to the workshop so will just get it done with the next service.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:54   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pande_monium76 View Post
This happened to my Jetta twice:

1. Immediately after purchase, I noticed a rattling noise around the doors. I immediately called up the workshop and fired them - how can they deliver a new car without checking? It was a door lubrication issue and they did the needful. No charge.

2. Recently, the central locking started malfunctioning. It would try to auto lock after a few seconds of starting the car - would not be able to auto lock - and would continue try doing so - resulting a whirring noise. Again, under warranty so got it replaced. But in doing so, they seem to have done something to one of the back doors, which is making a slight ratting noise from inside. Don't have the patience to again take to the workshop so will just get it done with the next service.

Thats the problem with VW service center's, If you complain them with an issue they will probably screwup with something else while fixing it, They had recently broken my left door window switch while fixing a rattle. Gladly they fixed the rattle but i had to send the car back again to get the window switch changed.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:08   #248
Team-BHP Support

Had some good experience and some bad experience during the last week end.

THE GOOD

Had been to Kudremukh to hike to the top of Kurinjal peak. It was a 970km round trip from Coimbatore to Kalasa, done in 2.5 days. Drove from Coimbatore to Kalasa through Sathyamangalam, Dimbam, Ch. Nagar, Mysore, Hassan and Belur.

The car just came alive in the twisting roads of Dimbam and the Belur to Kalasa section. The handling was SUPERB!!! The car just stuck to the road like a leech (talking of leeches, got some leech bites during the trek in the leech infested trails to Kurinjal). Stability in the corners was just awesome. Braking inspired total confidence. Did the last 60 km of winding roads after 10:00PM with absolutely no traffic. Did not come across a single vehicle in this stretch and had the road all to myself. Damaged roads used to pop up all of a sudden, and the brakes were just superb in these situation. Did the 60km stretch at an average speed of 45kph, which I could not even have dreamt with my previous car - the Getz.

On the return trip, used the paddle shifts and kept the RPM in the 2500 - 4000 range all the time. The roar of the engines, the RPM blips during downshifts, the acceleration - words can't describe the feeling. If the stock suspensions and 205 section tires could do this, can't imagine what the experience would be with 225 section PS3's and Bilstein suspensions! Should try Chethan's Jetta on these roads

A few pictures from the hike, and a picture of the Jetta in front of a lake in the early morning near Nanjangud.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-trek1.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-trek2.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-trek3.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-trek4.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-jetta.jpg

THE BAD

On the return trip from Kalasa, in an S bend, I was taking the first left curve when I saw this mini lorry taking the next curve from the other side. I was well inside my lane, but the lorry was almost 40% into my lane. He was coming in too fast for the corner and was heavily understeering. I steered sharply to the left taking the car to the edge of the road, but there just was not enough room to get clear of the lorry. There was this heart-breaking thud and the lorry just sped past. I had two options. Chase the lorry and confront the driver, or just move on. I was in too good a mood to spoil the rest of the day. From the sound, I knew that it was only a minor hit to the bumper and there was no serious damage. So, I just moved on. As it was not safe to get down and investigate in that curve, I could only pull over 1/2 a km ahead to assess the damage. This is the damage.

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-dent.jpg

Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-wheel.jpg

The front bumper, the front quarter panel, and the alloy had taken the hit. Fortunately, the headlight assembly missed the hit by a few inches. I checked the head light to be functional and no other visible damage. The car was driving well without any problem, and I completed the 460km drive back to Coimbatore. In the night I found that the head light alignment was affected a little. I could see the right side beam to be a little nearer than the left beam with an overlap of the beams (in the original setup, the beams were aligned perfectly in a sharp line).

Planning to take the car to the dealer today to get the dent fixed and painted and the headlight aligned.

I am not worried much about the dent to the bumper, but a few other things are a concern.

1. Alignment of the headlights. I believe the impact on the bumper has slightly turned the headlight assembly in the downward direction. This should become alright when they remove the dent. However, will the alignment be the same as the original alignment? Does the Jetta have a provision to align the headlights (some software alignment) to compensate for minor mechanical misalignments?
2. The wheel has also got hit. There is a black residue on the alloy which I assume is from the lorry's tire rubber. Will this go away with a thorough scrubbing? I see a couple of scratches on the alloy. I am not worried much about the looks part. But will this affect the mechanical strength of the wheel?
3. At the workshop, I am sure they will have to remove the front bumper and panels to remove the dent. My worry is they should not affect any other components like the parking sensors, or any other components in the engine bay in this process.

Fingers crossed.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 10:13   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

I am not worried much about the dent to the bumper, but a few other things are a concern.

1. Alignment of the headlights. I believe the impact on the bumper has slightly turned the headlight assembly in the downward direction. This should become alright when they remove the dent. However, will the alignment be the same as the original alignment? Does the Jetta have a provision to align the headlights (some software alignment) to compensate for minor mechanical misalignments?
2. The wheel has also got hit. There is a black residue on the alloy which I assume is from the lorry's tire rubber. Will this go away with a thorough scrubbing? I see a couple of scratches on the alloy. I am not worried much about the looks part. But will this affect the mechanical strength of the wheel?
3. At the workshop, I am sure they will have to remove the front bumper and panels to remove the dent. My worry is they should not affect any other components like the parking sensors, or any other components in the engine bay in this process.

Fingers crossed.
Hey graaja, it's sad to see the car took a hit. However, I am glad the damage is limited only to bodywork and nothing critical has been hit.

My 2 cents:

1) I don't think there should be a problem in doing this. Because of the hit, the mechanical alignment must be out and it should be rectified with some minor alignment. I don't think headlights have a provision of software alignment!

2) The black residue can be removed easily by scrubbing, had a similar residue some time ago and was removed easily by scrubbing by my regular painter. However, if the ASC denies to do it (I have no reason why they might deny, but still since this is a ASC they might do), then go to any FNG and they'll do it within minutes. However, the scratches might remain.
Try to inspect closely if there is any deformity in the shape of the wheel. It will be better if someone can drive at really slow speed and you can inspect the movement of the wheel, it will give you a better idea.

3) No, usually ASC's do not mess up in this kind of job. They are trained and no their stuff in this kind of scenarios. You should have worried if you were getting this job done at a FNG! Just check if all the functions are working properly before submitting the car. Actually, repairing the bumper and fender is not at all a complicated job. Even a FNG can do this without any harm to the car!

Ask the ASC to check if there is any damage to the suspension(ball joints, arms) of the car due to the hit on the wheels and try to get it checked in front of you!

Keep rolling, you have maintained your car really well!
parth.jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 11:10   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

THE BAD

The front bumper, the front quarter panel, and the alloy had taken the hit. Fortunately, the headlight assembly missed the hit by a few inches. I checked the head light to be functional and no other visible damage.
Extremely sorry to hear this Graaja.

I am surprised that air-bags did not open up!!!

Quote:

1. Alignment of the headlights. I believe the impact on the bumper has slightly turned the headlight assembly in the downward direction. This should become alright when they remove the dent. However, will the alignment be the same as the original alignment? Does the Jetta have a provision to align the headlights (some software alignment) to compensate for minor mechanical misalignment?
Headlight casing is intact. Just check if the headlight mounts are alright. If the mounts are fine, you need not worry about it. Once the RHS-Fender and the bumpers are aligned, it will be alright. If in case the mounts are damaged, the assembly will need a replacement.

Pl do not worry about headlight mechanical alignment. It will be possible in all cars.

Quote:
These alloys are very very strong. Unless you see a crack in the alloy, you need not worry. You can get the alloy checked at a tyre / alignment shop.

Quote:
RHS-Fender is a separate part. But if the bumper needs replacement, it comes as a set along with the parking sensors. It is expensive.

IMHO, Fender can be replaced and the bumper can be reworked if the mounts are not damaged.

If the mounts are damaged, please have parts replaced under Insurance, to avoid mis-alignments and loss of built strength.

Anyways, Fender and the Bumper are superficial parts - Don't worry.

Quote:

THE GOOD

If the stock suspensions and 205 section tires could do this, can't imagine what the experience would be with 225 section PS3's and Bilstein suspensions! Should try Chethan's Jetta on these roads
I myself am waiting for a chance! May-be after the remap!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 25th August 2015 at 11:15.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 15:04   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
Hey graaja, it's sad to see the car took a hit. However, I am glad the damage is limited only to bodywork and nothing critical has been hit.

Ask the ASC to check if there is any damage to the suspension(ball joints, arms) of the car due to the hit on the wheels and try to get it checked in front of you!

Keep rolling, you have maintained your car really well!
Hi Parth, thank you for the encouraging positive words. As the bumper has bent and being fiber, cannot be straightened out, the SA recommended me to have both the bumper and fender changed. They have promised to do rubbing on the blackened area of the to remove the tire residue. However, one of the scratches is a little deep in the form of a groove. So, they have suggested to get this changed as well. I have filled up the insurance claim form and they have promised to get the insurance survey formalities completed by this evening and proceed with the repairs. Hope everything goes well.

Quote:
Extremely sorry to hear this Graaja.
I am surprised that air-bags did not open up!!!
Thanks Chethan. This was not a full frontal impact. The force was more in the lateral direction and the only point of contact was the right side corner. We did not even feel any G force inside the cabin from the impact, just heard a thud. I believe that is why the airbags did not deploy.

Quote:
Headlight casing is intact. Just check if the headlight mounts are alright. If the mounts are fine, you need not worry about it. Once the RHS-Fender and the bumpers are aligned, it will be alright. If in case the mounts are damaged, the assembly will need a replacement.

Pl do not worry about headlight mechanical alignment. It will be possible in all cars.
Externally, there is only a minor scratch in one corner of the headlight assembly, and the lights were functioning perfectly fine in the night yesterday. The SA said while they dismantle the bumper, he will check for any damage in headlight mount or any other internal damage and will replace it if anything is wrong.

Quote:
These alloys are very very strong. Unless you see a crack in the alloy, you need not worry.
The SA also confirmed that if the alloy had bent, I would have felt the wobble or the car pulling to one side. As the car was running perfectly fine even after the incident, he said the alloy should be fine. However, as one of the scratches is a little deep, more kind of a groove, he suggested we replace that as well.

Quote:
IMHO, Fender can be replaced and the bumper can be reworked if the mounts are not damaged.

If the mounts are damaged, please have parts replaced under Insurance, to avoid mis-alignments and loss of built strength.

Anyways, Fender and the Bumper are superficial parts - Don't worry.
The bumper has bent a lot. As it is fiber-glass material and cannot be straightened out, they are going to change the whole bumper and the fender.

In 8 years of driving, this is my first experience with an insurance claim. Hence I am a bit nervous. Hope I get a good service like I have received so far.

Quote:
I myself am waiting for a chance! May-be after the remap!
You should definitely drive in those roads. Guaranteed fun But be wary of those deadly lorry drivers though.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 11:31   #252
Team-BHP Support

UPDATE:

The insurance claim formalities were completed the same day evening (Monday evening). The insurance surveyor when he called me told that he has approved the change of right fender and other components if required.

The SA has told me he will get the following replaced:

1. Bumper assembly
2. Right fender
3. Right head light assembly
4. Front right alloy

Of the above, they do not have the bumper and headlight in stock, and are expecting it by Saturday. Car will be ready by Tuesday.

The only fly in the ointment here: I have to travel for a couple of weeks and the car will be there in their workshop till I return back

The SA, on seeing how well I have maintained the car (I told him about how I do regular waxing to keep it shining) has promised me that he will keep the car inside the building under shade and well taken care of. Hope he keeps his promise!

I have some doubts. The head light assembly has only a little scratch, and is functioning fine. Except for the alignment issue which may be because of the deformed bumper, the headlight may be fine. The alloy has two scratches, one of them is a deep groove. I don't know if this will affect the strength of the alloy.

The SA anyway has promised me he will replace them. My question is is there any downside to replacing everything under insurance? I was told that I will lose the NCB anyway if I claim. So, I guess from insurance stand point there is no downside in replacing all the components.

Will this affect the resale value of the car in the future because of the huge repair bills? Though the damage is only minor and cosmetic, the cost of the parts being replaced could run close to a lakh. I plan to keep the car for 7 years at least. Should I be worried about resale value at all?

Will the change of components under insurance in anyway affect warranty?

As this is the first time I am dealing with insurance claim, I am confused a bit. Please bear with me on the newbie questions.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 11:54   #253
BANNED

Once you claim insurance, it won't matter if you do it for an OVRM or for the full front. In zero-dep, It is just ONE claim, can amount to whatever amount the IDV (75%) goes up to.
It is good you have a great SA and surveyor who have approved the claim on minor scratches. I would suggest you to go with whatever you can get replaced.
The warranty will be unaffected as it is done via the authorised workshop.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 11:59   #254
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that your car will be ready by Tuesday.

Quote:
My question is is there any downside to replacing everything under insurance? I was told that I will lose the NCB anyway if I claim. So, I guess from insurance stand point there is no downside in replacing all the components.
Once you put-up a claim, NCB is lost - Does not matter what the claim amount is. IMHO, since you need to go through the Insurance claim, get everything replaced once and for all.

Quote:
Will this affect the resale value of the car in the future because of the huge repair bills? Though the damage is only minor and cosmetic, the cost of the parts being replaced could run close to a lakh. I plan to keep the car for 7 years at least. Should I be worried about resale value at all?
Please don't worry about the resale value. After 7 years, we get only peanuts anyway!

Photos and details of the work done, that you put-up on this thread can help convince a suspecting customer. Credibility is higher when all required parts are replaced, as the integrity of the vehicle is maintained.

When I sold my Polo, I could get extra benefit as it was well maintained and well documented car. I offered the buyer to go through my entire ownership thread and decide for himself.

Quote:
Will the change of components under insurance in anyway affect warranty?
No. You are getting the service done by the authorized dealer and replacing only OEM parts.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 12:05   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

In case of zero dep insurance it does not matter how many parts you change.

However if you are sure that the headlamp assembly is in a wroking condition other than alignment(Check if the alignment can be set right after a new bumper is fit) then you can skip that item. But that will not lessen the damage to the NCB. You will lose the same amount.

However if the surveyor has authorised the claim for headlamp then there must be a reason. maybe the headlamp mount was bent/cracked? Check with them once. Since insurance is paying everything and you do not get any benefit in terms of lesser NCB even if you opt out the assembly , i would suggest just go for it and get them replaced. Peace of mind.

Alloys are very strong. A couple of scratches will not affect its integrity. You would have felt the wobbling if it was bent/cracked.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th August 2015 at 12:06.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks