Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 20:53   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

First Free Service Report: (542 kms)

Availed - 09th September, 2014.

Work to be done - All general check-ups/top-ups of the 1 month/1000 kms 1st Free Service, Washing & Cleaning.

Issues noted and needed to be checked:

Front suspension check,
Underbody Anti-Rust coating check,
Gear-shifting check.

Time Spent - Around 4 hours.

Charges - Rs. 45/-.

Maruti-Suzuki has a reminder service which is great. I received no less than FOUR separate calls to avail the first free service by the due date (which was on 6th September), out of which the first call was as early as the 25th of August!

Since I was busy with the Ganpati festival in our colony, I could extract some free time only earlier today. Called up yesterday to reserve a slot, and when I reached the A.S.S. center at 10:05 AM, the Service Manager, Sagar, promptly called up a SA for me. The guy, Naushad, was pretty quick in noting down everything, and I took out all the stuff from Silver Queen (USB drive, papers, car deodorant, toolbox, etc.), before handing her over to him. He gave an estimated time of 3 PM for delivery, although assuring me that the work will be done quickly and Silver Queen will be ready and waiting for me much earlier than that.

I had two small issues to get checked - first, the front suspension. During the immersion ceremony of Ganpati ji on Sunday (7th Sept) evening, I had gone over a sharp speed-breaker at 60+ speeds (with 4 people in the car), so I was a bit apprehensive and wanted it checked out. Secondly, the gear shifting issue which I had highlighted in the previous page - upshifting to 2nd gear from the 1st resulted in mild vibrations and shakes. Also, the underbody Anti-Rust coating check, which was mandatory, but I reminded that to Naushad as well, and he duly noted it down.

I was dropped back home in their Celerio Test Drive car immediately after. I had a lot of work today because it was the start of the shradh period, and I had to accompany Dad to do the rituals at our ancestral temple nearby.

I received a call from Naushad at 2:45 PM that Silver Queen was ready to be picked up, but since I was still busy with the puja, I asked him to send someone to drop her home, else wait till evening when I could be free to pick up Silver Queen myself. Maybe that caused some confusion in communication with him, because when we reached back home at 5:15 PM, Silver Queen hadn't arrived yet! I promptly made a few calls to Sagar and to Sambhu Agarwal, the dealership manager, and Sagar apologised for the confusion and drove Silver Queen home himself, at around 5:45 PM.

Silver Queen was thoroughly cleaned and polished, both outside and inside. The rainy season is still going on in full swing, and we are experiencing a TON of rain these days, so she was quite dirty when I had driven her to the Service Center in the morning. Full marks to the cleaning guys for shining her up to a nice sparkle, which lit up the dark evening outside our gate.

As for the issues, they had patched up a few thinning spots of the underbody coating, and the front suspension check turned up to be fine. As for the gear-changing issue, the resident expert technician said it was an issue inherent to all petrol Swifts and it is in his knowledge and it wasn't a cause for bother, and to drive freely without any worry. He said many other petrol Swift owners don't even know about this, and only a careful, paying-close-attention driver would notice it. I'll need some guidance on this particular issue from fellow petrol-Swift owners, specially those who own the current-generation Swift.

I had received word that the Smart Card and Registration Certificate had reached the dealership, and had asked them to send it over with the person who brought Silver Queen home. But they completely forgot about it, and Sagar himself had no clue. A call made to Mr. Sambhu Agarwal later cleared things - a team from MSIL had come to inspect the dealership earlier today, and in attending to them, he had forgotten to send the stuff over! First thing tomorrow morning, he promised.

The RPAS with IRVM system kit (Reverse Parking Assist System with Internal RearView Mirror) had arrived at their Raipur dealership on the 26th of August itself, but Maruti's courier company hadn't delivered it to our local Sky dealership yet!

Hopefully it will arrive by next week, and I will get it fitted. I am guessing it's the same system which will be fitted in the upcoming Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz's Z variant. Posting some details about this system from the official MGA bulletin I received in the short pictorial which will follow. No idea if it has the auto-dimming/electrochromic feature, yet.

MRP quoted to me is 11,990/-, and I will be pressing for some discount on the same as well.

The reason I am sticking to official accessories is because Silver Queen is a top variant, so there are minimum fittings to be done, PLUS, I have gone for the 4th Year Extended Warranty package so don't want to nullify it by getting accessory fittings done from outside.

ODO when Silver Queen was driven in for the service.
Yes, you are reading those FE numbers right!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140909_101132.jpg
No, our Swift isn't a diesel!
No, our Swift hasn't hit the highway yet!

Front view, in front of the Service section.
Notice the dirt and mud!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140909_101252.jpg

Rear view, as SA Naushad approaches on the right.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140909_101307.jpg

Billing of the 1st Free Service.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140909_191356.jpg

Details of the RPAS + IRVM, dated 02nd April 2014.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-untitled1.jpg

A visual demo of the existing MGA system on offer.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-untitled2.jpg

This new RPAS + IRVM system, and it's display.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-untitled3.jpg

Appicable Maruti models and features detailed.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-untitled4.jpg
You can add the Ciaz Z_I to the list. Confirmation soon.

Ciao, until the next update!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th September 2014 at 21:16.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 16:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

Hi Raven,
Nice to see the first service update. Did you get the pollen/ac filter fitted in your car during the first service? I had gone with my friend for first service of his Swift ZDi and was shocked to learn that Maruti did not ship the car with a stock cabin filter fitted, was amazed and asked the SA to show me the slot thinking he was trying to make money but the slot was empty with no filter in place.

He advised us before hand to get it fitted and we agreed since it is an important part.

The cabin filter costed 350 odd and it really is very cheap on Maruti's part to not sell the car with a pollen filter fitted and save 350 bucks on every Swift sold, heck the car costs almost 8 lakhs on road.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 16:39   #78
BHPian

Hi Raven - Just came across this thread. A very good report nicely written and coupled with a lot of good pictures. Above all I liked the way you understood your father's desire and acted on it. I respect you for all that you did for your father man. Respect! God Bless you and your family!
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 17:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The range goes "--.- km" as soon as it reaches 50 kms.
In my car, it goes to --- as soon as it drops below 30. 30 is the least I've seen. And yes, when the low fuel warning lamp comes on, the fuel tank can take in around 34-35 litres of fuel till auto cutoff.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 20:24   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post

In my car, it goes to --- as soon as it drops below 30. 30 is the least I've seen. And yes, when the low fuel warning lamp comes on, the fuel tank can take in around 34-35 litres of fuel till auto cutoff.
Cool. I haven't seen it going below '50'.

@RavenAvi.

Do buy the cabin air filter and install it proactively, your car's A/C will be in a good health and so will you. Moreover the interiors will be clean. Just costs Rs. 350.

Since all issues have been solved, enjoy the Silver Queen to the fullest.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:50   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Hi Raven,
Nice to see the first service update. Did you get the pollen/ac filter fitted in your car during the first service? I had gone with my friend for first service of his Swift ZDi and was shocked to learn that Maruti did not ship the car with a stock cabin filter fitted, was amazed and asked the SA to show me the slot thinking he was trying to make money but the slot was empty with no filter in place.

He advised us before hand to get it fitted and we agreed since it is an important part.

The cabin filter costed 350 odd and it really is very cheap on Maruti's part to not sell the car with a pollen filter fitted and save 350 bucks on every Swift sold, heck the car costs almost 8 lakhs on road.
Yikes! I had absolutely no idea about this.

Indeed, it is an alarming oversight by Maruti to ship their best-selling B2-segment hatchback without such a basic component, specially when it comes with an Automatic Climate Control module!

I am headed back to the dealership in a few days to get the RPAS system fitted. Will get the AC/pollen filter checked and if it's missing, I'll definitely get it fitted.

Thanks a ton for the heads-up, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Hi Raven - Just came across this thread. A very good report nicely written and coupled with a lot of good pictures. Above all I liked the way you understood your father's desire and acted on it. I respect you for all that you did for your father man. Respect! God Bless you and your family!
Thank you so much, Jasmeet.

Quote:
Just as I suspected. I am pretty sure now that the fuel tank has 35 liters on main, and 7 liters in reserve. Thanks for the clarification, blue_pulsar.

Quote:

@RavenAvi.

Do buy the cabin air filter and install it proactively, your car's A/C will be in a good health and so will you. Moreover the interiors will be clean. Just costs Rs. 350.

Since all issues have been solved, enjoy the Silver Queen to the fullest.

Anurag.
Yep, I am definitely going to. With an ACC built into the Swift's Z variants, you would think a company like MSIL should provide this automatically. Whether this is a glaring oversight by the production team or done intentionally, it is a big error either way.

I'll note this in my feedback note to the company and see what their reply is.

Thanks, my friend! Loving her more with every drive I make. I am glad I made the right choice for Dad, and for myself!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 16:13   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Yep, I am definitely going to. With an ACC built into the Swift's Z variants, you would think a company like MSIL should provide this automatically. Whether this is a glaring oversight by the production team or done intentionally, it is a big error either way.
Happy to see another "Happy Swift Customer!" Not much can go wrong with with a Maruti Suzuki or a Swift.

The funny part is the cabin air filter came for from company. I had seen it during the PDI by me. I was in the thought that this filter will be there in cars equipped with ACC but I seem to be wrong.

Not sure I what bassis they add this filter.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th September 2014 at 16:14.
Old 11th September 2014, 16:40   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not surprised that you haven't seen it. The drop from 100 to -- is very, very fast.
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 00:39   #84
BANNED

Quote:

I'm not surprised that you haven't seen it. The drop from 100 to -- is very, very fast.
Lol. Moreover I have done it only twice since I got the car, i.e. 9 months and 24K kms back.

Anurag.
Old 13th September 2014, 10:48   #85
Senior - BHPian

RavenAvi,

Read your thread now. Thats such a great story. Really touched the heart. The way you narrated it was simply fantastic, from the first word to the last. Congrats for bringing a smile on your Dad's face The pains you took are really commendable.

Wishing him (and you) a very happy mile crunching experience with this new car!
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 21:10   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Genuine Accessories - Nippon Reverse Parking Assist System (RPAS-80 + IRVM) Fitted

Got a call from the dealer that the RPAS + IRVM system I had ordered, had reached there on Friday. Since the roads were waterlogged due to sudden, continuous rains from Friday morning, I had to postpone the visit to today to get the fitting done.

I arrived at the Sky dealership at 11 AM this morning, and Silver Queen was taken in for the wiring and fitting about 15 minutes after. The whole work was completed in around 2 and half hours, while I discussed a lot of Maruti-related stuff (Ciaz launch, assumed pricing, S-Cross, Swift/DZire facelifts, etc.) with the dealership manager in his cabin over cups of hot tea and biscuits.

Pretty impressed with the end-result - the fitting is flawless and the sensors were also colored in silver shade through paint touchup. The new IRVM is larger, wider and is auto-electrochromic, i.e, no separate button is given for the same function, but the mirror comes with a special darkened glass which dims the rear-view significantly. The reverse camera + sensor feed comes in a squarish box on the leftmost side in the IRVM display, and covers roughly 1/3rd of the total IRVM glass area. Details in the pictorial to follow.

The older OEM day/night IRVM was duly returned to me. I got a discount of 10% over the billing price. Final bill to be given to me tomorrow.

ODO is nearing 800 kms. FE for this, all in-city run, is at 17 kmpl as per MID.

(Apologies for the camera quality. My S4 is clearly pathetic at image-shooting.)

The Nippon MGA RPAS-80 system box.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111444.jpg

The package details, and the MRP.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111459.jpg

Unboxed.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111558.jpg

The camera unit.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111629.jpg

It's a HUGE camera! (1-rupee coin for size comparo)
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111748.jpg

Looks like a Kraken's eye.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111806.jpg

The sensors set.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111715.jpg

The control unit.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_111710.jpg

Wiring work in progress.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_123624.jpg

The special IRVM being fitted.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_123721.jpg

Can you see the reverse feed? A faint reflection, on the left.
Daytime visibility of the feed, under a bright sun, is pathetic.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_141721.jpg

Ahh, there it is! IRVM angled towards rear seats.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_141830.jpg

The whole set in the rear bumper.
Notice the humongously-sized camera?
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_141929.jpg

MUCH better at night. Image is clear!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_191345.jpg

Green means all good behind.
System comes with 4 arrows + distance, indicating the 4 sensor readings.
Arrows indicating the two sensors at the far ends in action.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_191459.jpg

Green range is from 250 cm to 100 cm.
Leftmost arrows indicate nearest object (not in picture).
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_192022.jpg

Dip below 100 cm and it turns yellow. Bip-Bip-Bip!
Arrows showing on rightmost side (not in picture).
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_191711.jpg

Dip below 40 cm and it turns red. Biiiiiiiiiiii...!
Leftmost TWO arrows continuously displayed (not in picture).
20 cm is the minimum!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_191616.jpg

Rear display in complete darkness.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_191829.jpg

Normal rear display.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_192118.jpg

This is how the rear action looks to the driver.
The brightness of the feed is overexposed. Sorry!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_192706.jpg

Normal, laidback view.
Apologies for the brightness of the reverse feed.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_192716.jpg

Car parked in garage.
What is the leftmost sensor reading?!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_192654.jpg

Ahh, the culprit(s)!
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_192803.jpg

The booklets received.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_195448.jpg

The Warranty details.
The system comes with 1-year warranty.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_195241.jpg

The Installation details in the manual.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_195526.jpg

Technical details of the system.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_195547.jpg

Current reading in ODOmeter + current FE.
All in-city running. No highway runs.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_194852.jpg

No, the tripmeter hasn't been resetted for a long time.
This, with ACC set at 25°C.
Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140922_194938.jpg

Ciao, until we meet again!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd September 2014 at 21:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 15:27   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

A B-I-G thank you to Team-BHPians coolboy2007 and a4anurag for bringing the missing AC/Pollen filter issue to my notice.

Went to the M.A.S.S. in-between and asked them about it, and they confirmed the same - new Swifts do not have a factory-fitted AC/Pollen filter inside them. I told them to check, just in case there was one inside. They opened the section and showed it to me, and sure enough, the slot was empty.

A new one cost me Rs. 350/-, and it was duly fitted inside.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140929_151315.jpg

Mind-boggling, indeed! Why would MSIL skip on such a small but crucial OEM part for a 7-lakh car?! Weird.

I dropped a line through the feedback form, mentioning the same. Hopefully whoever reads them back at the company, will bring it to their notice (if it's a genuine missing-part issue).

Also received the Accessories bill for the Reverse Parking system, Cabin Lamps & Designer Mats.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140929_151530.jpg

Silver Queen is nearing the 1,000-km mark. We are yet to take her out on the highway. Mileage is steady at 17 kmpl - with ACC set at 25°C all the time.

Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!-20140929_151057.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 17:09   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A B-I-G thank you to Team-BHPians coolboy2007 and a4anurag for bringing the missing AC/Pollen filter issue to my notice.
Good to see the cabin filter installed on the Silver Queen. So do you find any difference in the A/C functioning and cooling efficiency? I know it is to early for you to give this feedback.

I am to looking at installing the RPAS on my Swift. Will be hooked here for feedback and long-term reliability.

Thanks buddy for the update.

Anurag.
Old 29th September 2014, 19:17   #89
BHPian

Reading this thread was like watching a Indian movie /soap and the emotions that we Indians can so very well connect to. Hats off to you for understanding your dad's needs and more importantly taking care of it.

Also btw, very well written thread, which I am sure would have been the first thing to be appreciated in a normal case, but emotions in this thread over power it hands down.

And to your dad : Happy driving for many years to come, Sir!!
isandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 08:28   #90
BHPian

Wow. Your penmanship got tears in my eyes, a smile on my face and I immediately called my cheta and asked him to read this thread.

Simply brilliant.

This has to be one of best write-ups in team bhp. I missed it all this time, and that is a real pity.

The bond that you share with your dad is clearly evident and your dad is indeed lucky to have a son like you.

Wish your dad many happy years of motoring.

I too test drove the Xcent 1.2 sx(o) and I share your dad's view as well. I too have a Swift a Dzire diesel thou, and a Ritz diesel.The Swift Diesel still brings a smile on my face everytime I drive, even after 5 years.

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 30th September 2014 at 08:35.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks