Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 13:57   #46
BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

That's a wonderful part of your life that you have posted here. Its straight from the heart and that's what counts at the end of the day.

We too owned a Fiat Premier Padmini for 18 years and it was a thing of joy. I still regret letting go of her but we had no choice as the spare parts were getting difficult to source and she was rusting bad.

Belated Birthday wishes to your dad and a personal thanks to you for looking after his passion. Parents in India (at-least the older generation) spend their whole lives devoted to kids and barely do anything to fulfill their own passions and wishes. They deserve every bit of happiness in return.

Gold Bless Him.

P.S. Did you consider the Fiat Punto?

Last edited by trek : 11th August 2014 at 13:59.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 18:05   #47
BHPian

re: Happy Birthday Dad - From all of us and your Maruti Swift ZXi! EDIT: 10,000 km up!

RavenAvi,

I won't comment on the car, its features and your report, but only the best part I liked in this entire report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

He only said one line to me when he shook my hand:

"Thank you. I am very happy!"

Wishing your father more enjoyable times in his Silver queen.

Cheers..
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 18:22   #48
BHPian

Fantastic thread. The bond that you share with your father is more important than the car. You both are lucky to have each other. Do tell him to join the forum, he is the kind of relic that would be loved and respected by all. After going through this thread I realized that we should stop calling ourselves petrol-heads, we are nothing compared to your dad.

I sincerely wish that by the time you finish your EMIs, Volkswagen would have opened a dealership in your city and launched the Golf
PranavDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 20:22   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you very much for all the wonderful wishes, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
i just meant that i had a blast driving my cousin's car for those 10-15 minutes (i had already driven the TD vehicle previously and just casually took my cousin's car for a spin)
Indeed. 265 Nm of torque and at least 235-240 of it useful, does make the Verna a sweet little proposition. If only it was a better handler and more stable at high speeds, it would have been numero uno, when compared to the Vento/City/Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Dad (looking out the window): At least we bought cars for their engines in my day. (looking back at me).
Words well said by a true enthusiast.Respect and salute to your dad.No doubt today's cars are loaded with gizmos but somehow fail to connect with the driver.
I am very sure none of the cars in India would sound sweet as that of an old Fiat.I still fell its still the best rear wheel drive cars in India.I was born and brought up in Mumbai so I know what Fiats are.
Thank you so much, Rakesh.

He said the truth. How many driver-oriented cars exist in our market today? I would say only a handful, countable in your fingers. More and more car companies are shifting towards those neutral, in-city cruisers, with F-L-A-T responses either way, at lower speeds and higher. Slowly but surely, the ones who leave a smile on your face are disappearing from the scene. It's not the companies' fault, but a demand from the mass market for such cars. Lifeless steering wheels, flat engines, disappointing pick-ups, but decent F.E.s - that just about sums it up.

In comparison to today's generation of cars, those from the 80s and 90s are like they existed in an entirely different league altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You are very lucky to have a father who still pursues his interests.I have never driven the K13 series swifts but the G13bs always used to bring a smile in my face,though I currently drive a swift diesel and am quite happy with it.
The previous-gen Swift was a better car in both it's avatars, IMO. The diesel had that cracking punch at 2000 RPM and the petrol was a real dynamite. The current-gen Swift has been tamed down. It's still a blast to drive, specially in it's petrol iteration, but given a choice, I would pick up the previous-gen over this one any day. Not that I am particularly fond of the Swift either way, but yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Congrats to you and your dad. Nice write-up, nice car and nice pictures. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Very encouraging to see your father's thoughts on how a car should be driven. My dad liked driving too, thought he later became weak to do so later in life.
Thank you so much, aneezan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post
Congratulations to your dad and you.

It takes a lot of effort to understand the needs of our parents. Many times the practicality comes our way and as a result their happiness is lost somewhere in between.I really appreciate you for having looked through these.

Old school guys like your dad understand what the present generations like ours are most likely to miss !

you both are fortunate to have each other as father-son. congratulations again.
Thank you so much, Padcot Prakash.

Indeed. We are so busy with all the happenings in our day-to-day lives that we have become automated. Even a pause to think for a moment, is non-existent. Moments like these are extremely rare, and the experience lasts a lifetime.

I'll always carry this fond memory with me, because everytime I think back to this experience, a heart-warming smile lights up my face. More so when I see Dad's happiness when he's busy fidgeting around with his Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
That's a wonderful part of your life that you have posted here. Its straight from the heart and that's what counts at the end of the day.

We too owned a Fiat Premier Padmini for 18 years and it was a thing of joy. I still regret letting go of her but we had no choice as the spare parts were getting difficult to source and she was rusting bad.
Thank you very much, trek.

Same Padmini story as ours, more or less. Parts were still available but the body was falling apart, no matter how much Dad pursued it to keep her all welded together. That was the main reason we had to let go of her.

Quote:
Belated Birthday wishes to your dad and a personal thanks to you for looking after his passion. Parents in India (at-least the older generation) spend their whole lives devoted to kids and barely do anything to fulfill their own passions and wishes. They deserve every bit of happiness in return.

Gold Bless Him.
Indeed! Perfectly put. Thank you, friend!

Quote:
P.S. Did you consider the Fiat Punto?
The Punto would have been a serious contender, IF we had a Fiat dealership in our city. The nearest one is 300 kms away, and that's the main reason why it wasn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
RavenAvi,

I won't comment on the car, its features and your report, but only the best part I liked in this entire report.
Thank you so much, samabhi.

Yes, that was THE moment when I felt I achieved SOMETHING in my life. For all I have done till now - my education, job, career, marriage, becoming a father - THIS moment ranks right above them all, even over the one when I became a father!

A once-in-a-lifetime experience for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
Fantastic thread. The bond that you share with your father is more important than the car. You both are lucky to have each other. Do tell him to join the forum, he is the kind of relic that would be loved and respected by all. After going through this thread I realized that we should stop calling ourselves petrol-heads, we are nothing compared to your dad.
Thank you very much, Pranav.

I talked to him about T-BHP membership last night, and he declined to join. Like I said earlier, his retired-life routine is set and whatever free time he has, he spends it with his grand-daughter. And now he's got his passion back, and his Swift is taking a large chunk out of his free time as well!

For example, he's not at home right now. I am sure he's aimlessly cruising out there somewhere in the city or visiting a friend/relative, or enjoying the evening/night drive around by the city lake, with the HU-USB playing Mohammed Rafi/Mukesh songs!

I have gifted him 3 separate USBs to play in his Swift, all loaded with MP3s from songs from his favorite Dilip Kumar/Dev Anand/Raj Kapoor films, and he's putting them to good use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
I sincerely wish that by the time you finish your EMIs, Volkswagen would have opened a dealership in your city and launched the Golf!
One can only hope!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th August 2014 at 20:25.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 23:43   #50
BHPian

Ravenavi,

An absolutely wonderfully written thread which had me glued to the screen well past my bedtime!! Do pass on my best wishes to your Dad and I hope he has many, many enjoyable miles with the Silver Queen.

Having had a Swift for 6+ years and being a bit "old school" myself, I can understand why he loves it. I also had an Esteem and till today bitterly regret having sold it.

However, one point I do not agree with is when you say that the old Swift was "dynamite under the bonnet". I had a 2006 Zxi model with the G13B series engine (Esteem engine) and believe me it was not "dynamite" at all. Having had an Esteem at the same time I can confidently say that the same engine in the Esteem (2007 Vxi) was a "scorcher" (I speak relatively here ) compared to the Swift. I felt the bottom end was too weak in the Swift and even fitted a Cold Air Intake to help with this issue. Finally sold the Swift and bought an SX4. Now we're talking!!

I am also really surprised that you don't like the looks of the Swift. One of the jokes doing the rounds quite a few years ago was that the Swift would sell even if it didn't have an engine - but just for it's looks!!
I guess to each his own.

Anyway, once again, superb thread which deserves at least 5 stars.

All the best to you and your Dad!

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 08:14   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Belated birthday wishes to your dad!!
Very nice write-up. I really liked the single word feedback from your dad on i10 and i20.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 09:32   #52
Team-BHP Support

I dont think I can add any more adjectives Avi. They have all been taken. Anurag's quote is well appointed. India does come home in a Maruti!

Just a curious observation and a question. I can see your dad is a petrol head and loves to drive. But the thought of an AT did not occur to hunt for; to ease up his driving with age ?

Last edited by ampere : 12th August 2014 at 09:35.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 11:28   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for all the good wishes, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
An absolutely wonderfully written thread which had me glued to the screen well past my bedtime!! Do pass on my best wishes to your Dad and I hope he has many, many enjoyable miles with the Silver Queen.

Having had a Swift for 6+ years and being a bit "old school" myself, I can understand why he loves it. I also had an Esteem and till today bitterly regret having sold it.
Thank you so much, suzuki san.

Indeed, even today both of us miss the Esteem. Despite it's shortcomings, it was a fantastic car!

Quote:
However, one point I do not agree with is when you say that the old Swift was "dynamite under the bonnet". I had a 2006 Zxi model with the G13B series engine (Esteem engine) and believe me it was not "dynamite" at all. Having had an Esteem at the same time I can confidently say that the same engine in the Esteem (2007 Vxi) was a "scorcher" (I speak relatively here) compared to the Swift. I felt the bottom end was too weak in the Swift and even fitted a Cold Air Intake to help with this issue. Finally sold the Swift and bought an SX4. Now we're talking!!
It was a terrific engine, no doubt. The initial pick-up was great and the surges in the 3rd/4th were excellent. The present one suffers from initial lag, and doesn't come on it's own until the sweet spot arrives in the 2nd gear. But yes, the Esteem's iteration was in a league of it's own.

Quote:
I am also really surprised that you don't like the looks of the Swift. One of the jokes doing the rounds quite a few years ago was that the Swift would sell even if it didn't have an engine - but just for it's looks!!
I guess to each his own.
I was never a fan of the Swift's looks. In fact, I don't like any of Maruti-Suzuki's present designs (except maybe the upcoming Ciaz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Belated birthday wishes to your dad!!
Very nice write-up. I really liked the single word feedback from your dad on i10 and i20.
Thank you, Arun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont think I can add any more adjectives Avi. They have all been taken. Anurag's quote is well appointed. India does come home in a Maruti!

Just a curious observation and a question. I can see your dad is a petrol head and loves to drive. But the thought of an AT did not occur to hunt for; to ease up his driving with age ?
Thank you so much, ampere.

He can drive an AT but he's not comfortable in it. He drove the Brio AT 2 years back and more than once, he was looking for the clutch! Having driven manuals all through his life and being an old-school fanatic, he is at home with shifting gears using the clutch.

---------------------------------------------------------

I have a question regarding the reserve fuel tank capacity of the Swift.

At what point does the low-fuel indicator start blinking? Is it at 7 liters remaining?

The reason I am asking is this - the dealer filled up 5 liters complimentary. Dad drove to the petrol pump and filled in Rs. 1100/- worth of petrol, which roughly translates to 14 liters (@ Rs.76-something per liter). Yesterday evening when he was returning back home, the low-fuel indicator started blinking when the ODO showed 103 kms.

Fuel Efficiency, according to the MID, is at 15.8 kmpl.

I thought the fuel meter in the cluster was faulty, so filled up petrol worth Rs. 2000/- (about 26 liters) today morning. The needle jumped to the 3/4th tank full point after filling up.

Something's not right and doesn't add up correctly. Is the meter at fault here, or did the petrol pump guy who filled up for Dad dupe him?

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th August 2014 at 11:30.
Old 12th August 2014, 12:42   #54

A brilliant and detailed narrations of emotions coupled with your family's passionate car history! You are a great son and your father should be as proud as everyone who reads this will feel. Brilliant !!!
vhharan1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 14:43   #55
BHPian

Quite a unique post. Enjoyed reading it. Congratulations to your Dad as well as you.

I normally like pics taken in the 1980s or 1990s since those bring back my childhood memories when i used to dream of owning a car (though i was just a school going kid then ). Thank you for posting pics taken in 1988 and 1991. Priceless pics.
n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 19:20   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear sir, you made me cry.

Wish your dad many years of safe driving and good health.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 17:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Avi - the report did bring tears to my eye. You are lucky to have a passionate dad and he is lucky to have a son like you.
Hats off to both of you.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 18:00   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

---------------------------------------------------------

I have a question regarding the reserve fuel tank capacity of the Swift.

At what point does the low-fuel indicator start blinking? Is it at 7 liters remaining?

The reason I am asking is this - the dealer filled up 5 liters complimentary. Dad drove to the petrol pump and filled in Rs. 1100/- worth of petrol, which roughly translates to 14 liters (@ Rs.76-something per liter). Yesterday evening when he was returning back home, the low-fuel indicator started blinking when the ODO showed 103 kms.

Fuel Efficiency, according to the MID, is at 15.8 kmpl.

I thought the fuel meter in the cluster was faulty, so filled up petrol worth Rs. 2000/- (about 26 liters) today morning. The needle jumped to the 3/4th tank full point after filling up.

Something's not right and doesn't add up correctly. Is the meter at fault here, or did the petrol pump guy who filled up for Dad dupe him?
For a tank capacity of 45 Liters, I have always & often noticed that the Low Fuel warning light comes when there is approximately 10 liters left. I have driven with the low fuel warning light within the city for at least 20 kms and upon refilling till Auto-Cut off, the fuel that got dispensed into the tank has consistently varied between 34-36 liters.

Hence, I am sure that you can safely assume the "reserve" capacity after the warning light comes on is around 10 liters!

In your above instance, 103 kms of run may have consumed at least 7-8 liters ((~14.xx Kmpl).

5 liters from the Dealer & 14 more filled by your dad translates to 19 liters. Going by the average FE for that 103kms and consumption of 8-9 liters, the Fuel warning light may have glowed when there was 10-11 liters left which I think is reasonably acceptable.

In fact, even the owner's manual mentions this:

Quote:
The activation point of this light varies depending on road conditions (for example,slope or curve) and driving conditions because of fuel moving in the tank.
EDIT: Next time you can try this-
Fill till Auto cut off, drive till the warning light comes on and refill again till Auto cut off. Repeat this for around 3-4 tankfuls and you will get the precise number.

Additionally - On MID displaying the FE, please reset the FE every time you refill. I have noticed that the FE displayed in MID is around 0.5-0.7 more than real world numbers.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th August 2014 at 18:04.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 18:59   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have driven with the low fuel warning light within the city for at least 20 kms and upon refilling till Auto-Cut off, the fuel that got dispensed into the tank has consistently varied between 34-36 liters.

Hence, I am sure that you can safely assume the "reserve" capacity after the warning light comes on is around 10 liters
I have a bit of doubt for the figures that you have mentioned for the reserve capacity. Reason I am telling this is,

I get the low fuel warming lamp when the range goes before 50 kms so fuel that could be present in therank atthat time could be 2-3 litres.

10L as a reserve capacity is doubtful.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 19:08   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I get the low fuel warming lamp when the range goes before 50 kms so fuel that could be present in therank atthat time could be 2-3 litres.
You see, that's the biggest problem with "Range". It will be 50 and it keeps dropping at the rate of 5kms for ever 1km you cover when range becomes 30. Don't be too ambitious about the Range displayed on MID as we have already known how reliable can the range really be.
Just tell me from the next tankfuls on how many liters go soon after you get the low fuel warning light; And do this for at least 3-4 tankfuls and you will talk the same what I am referring to, here!

And no, lets not talk about refilling based on the needle at quarter or halfway mark - Lets test it only when the low fuel indicator comes on. That's going to help us get close to the real number behind the reserve capacity (and this is exactly what has made me comment about the reserve capacity too)

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th August 2014 at 19:10.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks