Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 08:44   #61
DWC
BHPian

A quick question for the OP. Do the seats fully fold away? When I went for a test drive, the SA said they did but then only managed to fold the back support down. The result being an uneven, partially folded rear seat.
Would be great if you could take a picture of the maximum seat fold possible. Thanks.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 09:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post

Would be great if you could take a picture of the maximum seat fold possible. Thanks.
Hey DWC I don't mean to hijack Zigor's thread and post this here, but just so that you know, the rear seat of the Polo GT TDI does fold down completely. You will have to move the rear bench front and then the back rest folds down.

Here is another thread from Gannu where he has demonstrated the same.

I am assuming that this feature is only available on Highline version of the regular Polo.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 09:47   #63
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey DWC
Thanks Vik. If you noticed, it was me who asked Gannu about the folding seat in the first place. He couldn't demonstrate it properly because his armrest was in the way IIRC. That's why I was hoping the OP could help me out here.

According to the SA, the rear bench could not be moved on the new Polo Highline, the seat just folded down, quite unevenly that too, if I may add.

Last edited by DWC : 28th August 2014 at 09:50.
Old 29th August 2014, 19:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey DWC The rear seat of the Polo GT TDI does fold down completely. You will have to move the rear bench front and then the back rest folds down.

Here is another thread from Gannu where he has demonstrated the same.
I would love to agree with you friend but in the 15 mins I tried, I was not able to find a way to 'fold them down completely' I think the seats don't fold down completely at all (assuming I followed the correct procedure). The extent is 85-90%.

Quote:
A quick question for the OP. Do the seats fully fold away? When I went for a test drive, the SA said they did but then only managed to fold the back support down. The result being an uneven, partially folded rear seat.

According to the SA, the rear bench could not be moved on the new Polo Highline, the seat just folded down, quite unevenly that too, if I may add.
Here you go friend ! I was really short on time and even had an unexpected guest while I was doing the photo-shoot. Please understand

To sum it up, It is not a 100% flat-bed. Some photographs (bad phone camera) :

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-1.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-3.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-4.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-5.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-6.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-7.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-8.jpg

Also, almost no one uses the rear seat these days (I am really pressed for time as well), hence no seat covers. I guess seat covers, mats and alloys will happen on one lazy Sunday.
Zigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 20:38   #65
DWC
BHPian

Thanks for the clarification regarding the folding seats. I wonder how difficult it would have been for them to make a rear seat that folded 100%. I mean, 80%-90% may not seem that bad, but even a slight undulation makes a world of difference when it comes to transporting larger objects.
Old 30th August 2014, 10:29   #66
Nan

The seats on the Polo do fold down 100%. The only condition is that the head rests have to be removed (in the pre-facelift models). I think it will be easier in the new models due to the re-designed headrests.

I will try and take some pictures on how this can be done. I use it this way quiet regularly to transport lots of bulky stuff.
Old 30th August 2014, 11:08   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification regarding the folding seats. I wonder how difficult it would have been for them to make a rear seat that folded 100%. I mean, 80%-90% may not seem that bad, but even a slight undulation makes a world of difference when it comes to transporting larger objects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
The seats on the Polo do fold down 100%. The only condition is that the head rests have to be removed (in the pre-facelift models). I think it will be easier in the new models due to the re-designed headrests.

I will try and take some pictures on how this can be done. I use it this way quiet regularly to transport lots of bulky stuff.
Packaging in modern cars is so tight that it is not easy to get a flat loading area with rear seats folded. Manufacturers have to keep in mind the fuel tanks under the seat, seat height, among many other parameters. The Jazz (and even one generation of Honda City) had the fuel tank under the front seats, so was able to offer flexibility in terms of seat configuration (seats could even be folded up in the Jazz) and space / loading area.

In case of most other hatchbacks - there are 3 main configurations offered, each with its own plusses & minusses. One is like in the Polo. Second option is just the rear backrest folding onto the seat squab below - which is never really going to be flat. The third option is like in the Punto - Double folding (check image). This clears up a good amount of space especially for vertically high goods. But it has a disadvantage in terms of the space taken by the double folded seats - which restricts space in terms of length, if one intends to carry something long.

At the end of the day, it is not something that one has to do often i.e. fold seats to carry luggage. If space is a primary / frequent requirement, then I feel a van (Omni) serves the purpose best - with a low loading lip and fairly flat loading bay.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-puntoseatdoublefold.jpg  

Old 30th August 2014, 11:22   #68
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post
1. Overall build quality is very good. This is what VW stands for and seems like a clear difference from Swift.
Congrats on your ride!

Yes, you nailed it. The Europeans focus on good quality inside out and great attention to detail. So the Europeans charge a slight premium for their cars, and the cheaper Japanese cars are bought my people as most people can live with a few sacrifices as long as they can save a little cash.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 11:46   #69
Nan

Managed to get some pics. Very similar to what Zigor has done except for one small change in the way the base seat is folded.
As Jessie has pointed out in his post, it is the option 2 that Polo follows.
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409379298.289137.jpgMy 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409379314.510702.jpgMy 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409379333.656650.jpgMy 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409379346.809272.jpgMy 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409379364.334317.jpg

Just slightly better than the earlier folding.
Nan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:05   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To sum it up, It is not a 100% flat-bed.
Please remove the head restraints and try it whenever you are free. The seat back would further go down.
Old 30th August 2014, 16:11   #71
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
In case of most other hatchbacks - there are 3 main configurations offered, each with its own plusses & minusses. One is like in the Polo. Second option is just the rear backrest folding onto the seat squab below - which is never really going to be flat. The third option is like in the Punto - Double folding (check image). This clears up a good amount of space especially for vertically high goods. But it has a disadvantage in terms of the space taken by the double folded seats - which restricts space in terms of length, if one intends to carry something long.
IMO the Punto (among others) nails the design philosophy with regard to rear folding seats. Essentially, the seat should be able to fold completely flat. I disagree with your point on it being a disadvantage for carrying something long. It effect, it eats up around 4-5 inches of horizontal space. I can live with that. What I can't live with is luggage bouncing around in the rear because of undulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
At the end of the day, it is not something that one has to do often i.e. fold seats to carry luggage. If space is a primary / frequent requirement, then I feel a van (Omni) serves the purpose best - with a low loading lip and fairly flat loading bay.
C'mon, is it too much to ask for a hatch that can carry luggage efficiently? If space was a primary function, I'd get a pickup.
Old 31st August 2014, 08:21   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Congrats on your ride!

Yes, you nailed it. The Europeans focus on good quality inside out and great attention to detail.
Thanks ! True that.

Quote:
Well it's almost 100% and I feel that should be good enough for most owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Please remove the head restraints and try it whenever you are free. The seat back would further go down.
Well I tried again (without the head restraints this time)

My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-20140831_073421.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-20140831_073437.jpg
My 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI : First Ownership Report. EDIT, 10000 kms up-20140831_073518.jpg
Zigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 19:28   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Completed 2000 km. Some observations :

Positives :

I drive alongside lot of swifts and I can safely tell you that a 75HP swift with all it's handling prowess is a no match to a polo 1.5 because of the power/torque that the Polo produces. I have been a proud owner of a Swift and still drive my friend's Swift ZDI all the time and you can take my word for it. It would be extremely difficult to beat the new Polo on highway with a car which has 1.3 MJD. Punto is very good but how long can a 1.3 MJD sustain speed of 120-130 km/hr (even 90HP). Polo is right in it's comfort zone at 130km/hr and raring to do more. Also, what helps the car is a low stance which is always better for an enthusiastic driving (no body roll). I will drive the Elite i20 soon and will try to post my impressions (a friend is looking to buy the sportz variant). So, if you love driving (especially on a highway), Polo is the car to go for. Of course if money is not a restriction, then the choice is the GT series
Thanks for sharing your experience so nicely, very useful for prospective buyers. On road price of Polo 1.5 TDI is approx 1.00 L more than Swift ZDI, considering discounts, offers etc on Swift. Is it really worth paying this money for the Polo by someone who likes to drive? Please do have a test of Elite i20 CRDI & find out the differences between your car & i20.

From my personal experience of driving a Polo 1.2 TDI, I feel, though the engine is noisy outside, the cabin is acceptably quiet @ 100 kmph highway cruise, even with stock Apollo Accelere tyres. 1.5 TDI with four cylinders should have made a huge improvement to the car in this department, thus should not be a concern at all. Has it bettered Vento 1.6 TDI, if you have experienced one?

Cheers
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 21:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience so nicely, very useful for prospective buyers. On road price of Polo 1.5 TDI is approx 1.00 L more than Swift ZDI, considering discounts, offers etc on Swift. Is it really worth paying this money for the Polo by someone who likes to drive? Please do have a test of Elite i20 CRDI & find out the differences between your car & i20.

From my personal experience of driving a Polo 1.2 TDI, I feel, though the engine is noisy outside, the cabin is acceptably quiet @ 100 kmph highway cruise, even with stock Apollo Accelere tyres. 1.5 TDI with four cylinders should have made a huge improvement to the car in this department, thus should not be a concern at all. Has it bettered Vento 1.6 TDI, if you have experienced one?

Cheers

I am sure the 1 Lac difference would soon be forgotten when you have the capability to overtake any car on highway (with very good handling ) I drive mostly on highways and can vouch for that. Someone who likes to drive would love a Swift/Polo but where Polo beats swift any-day is the Power/Torque parameters. As I mentioned earlier, the stability of the car around 140-150 km/hr is exemplary and it is a treat to drive it on highways. In short my highway journeys have become shorter and much more fun. The chasis is tight and well bolted, there is no nervousness even with a slightly light steering (it is really accurate and weighs well at speeds). The cars that I have surprised on highway are Swift Zdi, Liva Sportivo, Old Polo diesel, Honda city Diesel, SX4, Punto, i20 , Innova cabs, and the list goes on. It's a very satisfying experience (500 km every week on a straight highway) So yes, I would say pick Polo and don't have any regrets later (can be remapped later, although not required at all)

Elite has features/space, Swift has great handling/ASS, Polo has torque/build quality/FTD

The Elite test drive will have to wait as I am currently out of station. May be in next couple of weeks and I will surely post my impressions.

Polo 1.5 is still quite audible on outside and doesn't sound smooth at all. Things get really better when we are inside the vehicle. I don't hear a single note and that is important. So, whatever orchestra happens, it happens outside. When warmed up, engine noise is slightly better than Vento 1.6, still it is something that VW has to work at. It's a slight improvement but not impressive from outside. I guess this is something we Polo owners have to live with

Note : I don't endorse illegal/high speeds.

Last edited by Zigor : 1st September 2014 at 21:53. Reason: Content
Zigor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:21   #75
BHPian

Guys, My polo GT TDI is here. Just got a call from my sales rep. Due to auspicious reasons I cant take delivery till the 24th . Will rush to the dealership to have a look at my ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks