Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2015, 12:03   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: XDrive Power - My BMW X3 30D - 10k kms up (page 6)

Kudos to BMW for offering you a free service, that's approx a 30k saving. Good call on switching to LED's, does the BMW UK website ship to India?

Also, how did you go about debadging the car?

You should think about getting the 3m PPF for your bumpers since the car is black it will be prone to scratches. I am getting it done this week on the S

Last edited by Sahil : 30th June 2015 at 12:04.
Old 30th June 2015, 13:41   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Kudos to BMW for offering you a free service, that's approx a 30k saving. Good call on switching to LED's, does the BMW UK website ship to India?

Also, how did you go about debadging the car?

You should think about getting the 3m PPF for your bumpers since the car is black it will be prone to scratches. I am getting it done this week on the S
Actually I kind of had to ask them for it. They were offering me some 50% off on the 3rd year warranty, which was absolutely useless to me since I plan on getting the 5 year warranty. Doesn't seem like BSI will be justified on this car.

They are available in the US for about $100 for a box of 10. This car used 1.5 boxes, and the 3 series used exactly one box. Over here they cost 10k for a box.

Debadging was done by heating the badge, till the tape on the back got really hot, and then loosening with dental floss by moving it behind the badge, and then slowly pulling it off. A lot of heating is needed, be careful to do it slowly and carefully. I did manage to chip off a tiny bit of paint while doing it, maybe half an mm. Covered it with the touch up kit and its not noticeable at all.

Also Sahil, had considered the PPF. I can get the bumper painted for 5k (not from the dealer but the finish is as good or better), and the PPF will cost me more than that per bumper. Didn't make sense to me.

EDIT - Forgot to mention the number plates ordered from canvasink, a BHPians website. Same font as the official German plates, they do look a bit inferior to the real deal from up close. But the value of getting these at Rs.1750 as compared to 6k for the real German plates is unbeatable.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 30th June 2015 at 13:49.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:42   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Hi Akshay, I have been following your thread for a really long time, but couldn't ask you my queries because I hadn't joined T-BHP back then.

As a fellow X3 owner, I would like to ask you that how did you get the sports transmission coding done? Was it from the dealer itself? Can I get it done from Bird Automotive Sec-14 Gurgaon?

Also, I know I'm extremely late but congrats on buying personally my favourite car (though I wish BMW would be selling the 35d model here in India, I've seen and heard that its a beast!)
Hey, the dealer cannot do coding. You will have to learn it yourself or pay for someone to do it.

Its really a great mod, totally changes the way the car feels. Also activated launch control along with that, only used it twice though.

Why don't you put up your email here, or send me a PM once its possible for you, I can help you out.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:08   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: XDrive Power - My BMW X3 30D - 10k kms up (page 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Also Sahil, had considered the PPF. I can get the bumper painted for 5k (not from the dealer but the finish is as good or better), and the PPF will cost me more than that per bumper. Didn't make sense to me.
Would you mind PM'ing me the contact details of your paint workshop chap. Thanks!
Old 8th July 2015, 05:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, the dealer cannot do coding. You will have to learn it yourself or pay for someone to do it.

Its really a great mod, totally changes the way the car feels. Also activated launch control along with that, only used it twice though.

Why don't you put up your email here, or send me a PM once its possible for you, I can help you out.
Sorry for the extremely delayed response. Since I don't want other people spamming I will be giving you my gaming id that is- omegarapidtanki@gmail.com
Old 19th July 2015, 21:17   #96
Team-BHP Support

Just couldn't resist. Have ordered this M steering wheel for the X3. Just cannot wait to get my hands on it (literally)! And now to figure the installation and how to get the paddles working

XDrive Power - My BMW X3 30D - 10k kms up (page 6)-aaa.jpg

Keep watching this space
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2015, 21:52   #97
BHPian

Yours is F25 X3 right? You might require E net cable for its coding. F series coding is slightly different from previous generations. Its more of editing values and saving it than the traditional way of coding in the new system. In case of 3 series also, new F series cannot be coded with previous generation coding softwares or cables. However the diagnostics and fault reseting etc. could be done.
Old 20th July 2015, 11:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just couldn't resist. Have ordered this M steering wheel for the X3. Just cannot wait to get my hands on it (literally)! And now to figure the installation and how to get the paddles working

Keep watching this space
Isn't the steering a plug and play version, its available on the M Sport trim line in the UK, it was on the 3 series that Chris Harris tested and even he brought up the steering design as a plus for the car and BMW. I am not so sure about the paddles though, with today's modular designs, it shouldn't be too complicated to activate.

The 3 series facelift thread has a picture of the cabin with this steering wheel, the standard wheel looks ancient in comparison.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Isn't the steering a plug and play version, its available on the M Sport trim line in the UK, it was on the 3 series that Chris Harris tested and even he brought up the steering design as a plus for the car and BMW. I am not so sure about the paddles though, with today's modular designs, it shouldn't be too complicated to activate.

The 3 series facelift thread has a picture of the cabin with this steering wheel, the standard wheel looks ancient in comparison.

This wheel is not plug n play. Requires wiring change as well as coding. The same stock wheel with paddles require only coding to activate paddles.
Old 20th July 2015, 18:54   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
This wheel is not plug n play. Requires wiring change as well as coding. The same stock wheel with paddles require only coding to activate paddles.
Actually nope. The wiring change would be required because of paddles whether normal sport wheel or m sport wheel with paddles.

Will keep you guys updated.

After this next on the list is LED fogs from the facelift X3.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:58   #101
BHPian

XDrive Power - My BMW X3 30D - 10k kms up (page 6)

Quote:
Actually nope. The wiring change would be required because of paddles whether normal sport wheel or m sport wheel with paddles.

Will keep you guys updated.

After this next on the list is LED fogs from the facelift X3.

Really? One of the sellers responded to my query regarding this matter saying the stock wheel requires only coding activation for paddles and M sport requires wiring change. Will confirm with another guy who knows this stuff.

Edit: You are right Akshay. Just got confirmation from a guy who already did this retrofit that wiring change is required for both and it is the same wire required for both.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 20th July 2015 at 19:15.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:04   #102
Team-BHP Support

Hi guys, selling my existing steering wheel. It will be suitable for anyone with a pre facelift 2 litre x3, as those came with standard steering wheels. This will be smaller and thicker in diameter, and more sporty to hold.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ng-Wheel.html/

Do pass it on to anyone who may be interested.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:54   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have ordered this M steering wheel for the X3. Just cannot wait to get my hands on it (literally)! And now to figure the installation and how to get the paddles working
will be interesting to see end results - can you post some photos and how did you managed installation
Old 6th August 2015, 17:57   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
will be interesting to see end results - can you post some photos and how did you managed installation
Damn customs took time to clear it. Should manage installation and everything by this weekend. Will put up the pictures once its all done
Old 9th August 2015, 09:04   #105
BHPian

akshay, you have an excellent thread going here. Any reason why you de-badged the X3?

I hope the new steering wheel is in the works, waiting to see snaps once the job is done.

Does the newly launched X3 30D M-Sport come with this M-steering wheel ? I know it has got paddles but not sure if the wheels are same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks