Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2017, 11:20   #331
BHPian

re: Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)

Hello All,

On Monday, I gave my car for the 3rd free service, on its 2nd anniversary. Therefore, I thought of thanking you guys for all your support and guidance. The below points summarize my experience with my car over the past 2 years:

Car : Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT S(O)
KMs done: 17850 in 730 days (Average ~ 24 KMs daily) (99% with AC on)
KMs on Highway ~ 8000 KMs (45%)
City mostly driven: Bangalore
Major Incidents: None
Breakdowns / Technical Problem: Mentioned below.
Failed to start : None

My likes and dislikes remain the same as mentioned in my earlier post on this thread.

While giving the car for service, I mentioned the SA that I had two issues which needed to be addressed.

1- While turning the steering quickly to the right, it was coming to a stop with a loud 'takk' sound. It was not appearing always but was quite frequent.

2- There was a faint 'kat'kat' sound coming from the driver's foot-well. It occurred only when going over rough surfaces and broken roads. Did not occur if I crossed a speed breaker.

Dropped the car and returned home. A couple of hours later, the SA calls me and says he has fixed the first problem. For the second issue, the culprit has been identified as the EPS motor. Since the car is in warranty, it will be changed free of cost. However, they do not have the motor in stock, so I can take the car and he will get the motor in 24 hours.
I agreed. Went in the evening to collect the car. I asked him about the first issue. He said there was a nut which needed to be 'torqued'. It had developed play and hence was making the sound.
Not having much knowledge about it, I chose to agree with him. Did a test drive and the sound did not appear. Brought the car home and as I was reversing into my parking, I heard the 'takk' again.

The next day evening the I called the SA to tell him about the 'takk' sound. He said he will check once I take the car and he also confirmed the motor had arrived. Since I was busy, I told him I would come the following day. So on Wednesday, I go and drop off the car. He promises to return it within 2 hours.
An hour later I get a call from him. He says that the motor he has is not correct. It belongs to Fluidic Verna while mine is Verna 4S. I ask him are you sure these cars have different EPS motors, and he says Yes.
He apologizes and says I can either take the car now and bring it tomorrow or I can leave the car with them and collect it the next day. I choose to collect the car and bring it home.

Thursday afternoon I call him and he says yes he has got the correct motor and I can drop the car. Around 4PM, I drop the car and he promises to return it in 2 hours.
Around 6PM he calls me and confirms the work has been completed. Both the issues were due to the EPS motor and are sorted. I go to the service center and take him along for a longish test drive.
It began raining heavily and hence it was difficult to accurately judge if the issues were indeed resolved, but eventually I agreed.
Dropped him back and asked him to show the replaced motor. He takes me to the workshop and shows it to me. He says that the threads had some gap which were rattling. It was a minor issue and not a defect with the motor but since the car is in warranty, he chose to change it anyway.
I ask him what is the cost of it otherwise and he mentioned around 6000/-. I thanked him and came back home.

Haven't heard either of the two sounds so far. The steering seems to be 10% stiffer with the new motor.

Points worth mentioning:
1. I had to call the SA everyday to ask if the motor had arrived. He never called. However, he always called to give the status of the work.
2. I did not get the bill for the servicing work done as their systems are not ready (GST probably). It will be sent via courier.
3. The service center is doing dry wash of all cars as the state govt. has banned using water for car washes due to water scarcity.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 15:31   #332
BHPian

Interesting facts above ; I have been experiencing this same rattle sound from the footwell in my 2 year old Verna 4S. I had told this specifically to the SE when I did my 3rd service. Surprisingly, there was no noise for the first 2-3 weeks after service, but it has reappeared now in the rains. This rattle is specifically felt when you start driving on bad roads after a longish break and then just goes off after a while. I never thought of an ECU motor being the problem, though I had a feeling that it was not the suspension, since the rattle appeated with a lag after falling into pits or bad roads.
Old 9th July 2017, 21:42   #333
BHPian

Many congratulations Tojo_GotBhp !

White is a lovely universal color on Verna & looks very elegant. No wonder it's a head turner !

Just enjoy the ride ! The power on tap will bring the smiles every single time you take her for a drive, mind you ! Have fun !

First 1000 kms keep it <2500 rpm, however tempting it would be ! That's what the Pundits have been saying !
Old 9th July 2017, 22:02   #334
BHPian

This is little scary !

Mine is also 1.6 VTVT & has done around 25000 kms just under two years. ( Aug 2015 purchase) But i haven't come across this particular issue anywhere. Only unusual thing that had to be done was replacing front brake pads & facing both the discs on a lathe as there was some ware & tare observed & i didn't want to take any chance on this aspect.

Good that your issue got sorted out pretty early, do post should you face any more niggle.
Old 9th July 2017, 22:26   #335
BHPian

I own 2012 Fluidic Verna. The car has done roughly 35K. The suspension has always been a problem with the first fluidic models. With new models coming in with improved suspensions, is it possible to get a replacement? Will it be of any use?

Other than soft suspension, I guess my verna does have some suspension problem as well. I always hear tik-tik sound whenevr the car is fully loaded with luggage bags and 4-5 passengers.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:11   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
it has reappeared now in the rains. This rattle is specifically felt when you start driving on bad roads after a longish break and then just goes off after a while. I never thought of an ECU motor being the problem, though I had a feeling that it was not the suspension, since the rattle appeared with a lag after falling into pits or bad roads.
I own a Fluidic Verna (May 2013) and drove about 56000 KMS. I can instantly connect to this rattle sound. I started getting this sound soon after about 8000 KMS. I mentioned about this sound to the service center guy, who did not enter it in the job card but said he will check. Unfortunately he said it was fine. The sound continued, specifically on the paved roads (with those square cement blocks) around office or apartments. The sound finally increased to a great extent on any twist or turn of steering. When I took it to the service center, they immediately said the EPS motor is gone and changed it for a big charge, I think about 7000 or 8000 inr. I told him that this was reported in the second service itself but he refused to accept as it did not show up in the job card. After the change, the sound is gone (I have drove about 7000 kms after it in about 7 months). But I am now kind of convinced that this part does have an issue after reading similar incidents.

If the sound is observed by any Verna owner in warranty period, please get it changed for free. This part seems to have some issue.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Try Michelin PS3T in 205/55R16 or 205/50R16 (Ideal).
Being a softer compound, the ride will be much improved, and the tyres should be quieter than the bridgestones.
The life may not be as long as the bridgestones, and they may be more prone to punctures (in my experience though - no complaints after several michelin tyres across varied surfaces).

I changed my tyres to Michelin PS35 205/55/R16 about 3 months back. Used it for around 2500 kms in city and mostly on highways. This is way better than the stock Bridgestone. Very comfortable, Noise has come down considerably, braking has improved (ABS did not engage even on one harsh braking situation, which shows tyres were able to manage it even before ABS knew about it). I have not seen a drastic change in FE (either Up or down). In all I am happy with this new set of tyres and will recommend any one planning a change on their Verna.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2017 at 10:43. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:30   #337
BHPian

For those experiencing slight thud-thad/kit-kat/tik-tak noises from the lower front section of the car, check the EPS motor first.

The primary problem is the grease on the motor pinion. Once this wears off, the wear and tear accelerates and the noises start coming in. Grease tube costs around Rs300 and can be used 2-3 times. Retain the tube from the first application. Steering will be hard for few days. Makes sure the pinion is adjusted properly. This will decide how the steering feels i.e. lighter or stiffer.

I had a similar problem from the first year itself and no one could even identify the actual source of the problem. During a regular service checkup in another city when i mentioned this problem, the mechanic went straight for the steering motor. Said this is a normal and recurring problem, though minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyer_2000 View Post
I changed my tyres to Michelin PS35 205/55/R16 about 3 months back.
Your car is petrol or diesel ?
Everything is better than the Bridgestone B250s.
Any reason why you did not opt for something in the factory size? Falken, Conti, B290
Old 10th July 2017, 15:15   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Your car is petrol or diesel ?
Everything is better than the Bridgestone B250s.
Any reason why you did not opt for something in the factory size? Falken, Conti, B290
I have a petrol version. I went for the 205 size purposely. (Upsizing as it is technically called). The extra 10 mm width gives better grip and braking. I only considered Bridgestone, Michelin and Apollo. I was very clear to use this car for the next 3 years (50,000 KMs). And my priority was on improved comfort and noise reduction. After checking with an expert and a friend who used Michelin 3ST for over 70000 KMs with fantastic feedback, I went for it.
Continental had a life of 30-35 K kms (feedback) which in my opinion was way less than my stock which went for 50K kms. So ruled that out.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2017 at 10:44. Reason: Removed excess spaces. Thanks
kiyer_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:53   #339
BHPian

Do any of you use the steering when the vehicle is stationary? I've seen many people do it even when it's not required. Would this be putting undue stress on the EPS motor? Having driven non EPS vehicles for a long time, I'm aware of the force needed when stationary.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:24   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
I own 2012 Fluidic Verna. The car has done roughly 35K. The suspension has always been a problem with the first fluidic models. With new models coming in with improved suspensions, is it possible to get a replacement? Will it be of any use?

Other than soft suspension, I guess my verna does have some suspension problem as well. I always hear tik-tik sound whenevr the car is fully loaded with luggage bags and 4-5 passengers.
I have the 2015 model where the suspension issues have been sorted out. Take a look at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3398106 to see if it helps. The dampers have also been updated in the 2015 model, but I'm not sure if this is a fit into the older model.

Last edited by PearlJam : 11th July 2017 at 15:40.
Old 15th July 2017, 13:36   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Do any of you use the steering when the vehicle is stationary? I've seen many people do it even when it's not required. Would this be putting undue stress on the EPS motor? Having driven non EPS vehicles for a long time, I'm aware of the force needed when stationary.
I took the car to the SA and they are confident that mine is not a EPS motor problem, rather it must be the bushes becoming brittle due to age. The fact that I have the rattle after long parking is what makes them conclude that its more of a bush issue. Once the car is in running for quite sometime, the sound disappears. The bushes will take a few hours to replace, so will get it done some other time and hopefully that will end the rattle for sometime.
Old 11th August 2017, 16:40   #342
BHPian

Verna AT Petrol owners, how has been your driving experience so far? I'm planning to get one (used) soon, so any advice would be great!
Old 13th August 2017, 03:25   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Verna AT Petrol owners, how has been your driving experience so far? I'm planning to get one (used) soon, so any advice would be great!
Hello , Initially i was skeptical due to 4 speed gearbox but after some getting used to i now kind of enjoy it. Its perfect for city driving and occasional highway drives. I feel lack of 5th/6th gear is compensated by the free revving 1.6 engine, you will miss them only on highway drives that too above 120 kmph. Overall i am very happy with the car - sheer value for money . Suggest you take a long test drive before you write it off just coz of the 4 speed gearbox.
spookey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 07:04   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
I did not get the bill for the servicing work done as their systems are not ready (GST probably). It will be sent via courier.
This might well be legitimate. Advaith Hyundai told me the same thing (for my i10), and about 3 weeks later (2 days ago, to be precise) I was pleasantly surprised to receive the computer printed invoice by postal mail.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 14:27   #345
BHPian

Hyundai on Tuesday launched the 2017 Verna at a starting price of Rs 7.99 lakh for petrol and Rs 9.19 lakh for diesel. The company said these are introductory prices for first 20,000 buyers.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/60172499.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks