Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 19:11   #31
BHPian

Re: My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!

Hearty Congratulations Ventoman. I was a follower of your earlier thread too.
I must say its an interesting decision, but I completely agree to your logic.

From the moment I got a chance to drive Anshuman's DSG Laura, even I have developed this desire to switch to a DSG car.

Plus excellent choice of colour. This colour brings the elegance of the design even further.

Wishing you many happy miles..

Regards
Rachit
Old 26th April 2015, 19:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hearty Congratulations Ventoman. I was a follower of your earlier thread too.
I must say its an interesting decision, but I completely agree to your logic.
Thanks for your kind wishes Rachit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
The owner's manual concurs with you in that it can be switched off/on only when the car is stationary.
I have tried pushing the button on/off in an idling car, continuously looking at the instrument cluster for any indication light that might come on/go off but have found absolutely nothing. Hence, worried that it is my particular car that has some trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think you need to do it before cranking the engine. At first step of ignition when the electrical systems come on. Otherwise it may be as Viddy has mentioned.
This is how my car behaved-
  • Turned the key on without starting engine and tried pressing TCS button. No visible response on the cluster or any audible beeps.
  • Started engine, let it idle and pressed TCS button for a couple of seconds. Promptly an icon appeared on the cluster as seen below. The icon disappeared as soon as the button was pressed again.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-traction-off.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Well, the auto dimming installation didn't go as planned, due to its complicated setup and Anoop wanted to go through the manual first. So it might happen only after few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
ventoman, have a look at this guide in myturbodiesel forums.
All the best! And keep us posted.
Finally managed to fix the auto dimming mirror at Sun combines, Coimbatore. The guy took ten minutes in all (including the time to go through manual, twist & pull off old one, plonk the new one). Wiring was done with a completely new line pulled from the ACC fuse for both dash cam and auto dimming mirror. So no cutting of wires and they charged only Rs.100 for this work. So in all, got this upgrade done for £70 + Rs.100.

One photo of auto dimming at work in Nice Road, Bangalore.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-autodimmingniceroad.jpg

Also, dash cam update was posted in a relevant thread here .

And this is how they look from outside
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-autodimminganddashcamfromoutside.jpg

Apart from that my new car has now completed 2k kms thanks to a drive down to my hometown, Coimbatore. Its a stretch of 350kms, usually done with a stop or two in between. But this time, it was non-stop both ways and was mostly done in S mode. Family was more than happy to drive non-stop as well. Such was the comfort brought in by TSI+DSG.

Few other cosmetic changes, courtesy - ebay and Ali-bhai.

Illuminated door sill plate. This was ordered by mistake on ebay, as I wanted a plain one. However, this was finally fitted at Coimbatore as well for Rs.250/-. They illuminate and switch off along with door lights. Again no wires were cut for this fitting.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-illuminateddoorsillplate.jpg

Shark fin antenna from Ali express bought for $10. This was so easy to fix and there is no loss in radio reception.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-sharkfinantenna1.jpg
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-sharkfinantenna2.jpg

Finally this cover for the key chain. Costed about $3/- at Aliexpress.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-keychain.jpg

Last edited by ventoman : 26th April 2015 at 19:48.
ventoman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 21:00   #33
BHPian

Hi nice upgrades. From where did you get your auto dimming mirrors ? Is it the gentex one. Need to know how do you fix it ? Is the oem irvm plastered to windshield and was it easy to remove and how was this fixed. Did you need the special adapter they sell for VW cars. Also how was your experience with aliexpress especially the customs part. I'm looking for the anti glare blue tinted ORVM also from aliexpress.
Old 27th April 2015, 07:30   #34
BHPian

Hey Ventoman, fantastic upgrades!

Please do shed more light on thenparts used for auto dimming mirror, about the adapter mainly, and if u canntell me which fuse position he took a new wire from? (A pic of the fusebox indicating the slot used would be very helpful!)

Thanks.
Old 27th April 2015, 21:25   #35
BHPian

hey Ventoman, I have recently picked up a tsi comfortline. Do you hear the whistle sound while accelerating? the max mileage which i have managed so far ~150 kms is 12.5 kmpl on D mode. How has it fared for you till date?
Old 28th April 2015, 09:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi nice upgrades. From where did you get your auto dimming mirrors ? Is it the gentex one. Need to know how do you fix it ? Is the oem irvm plastered to windshield and was it easy to remove and how was this fixed. Did you need the special adapter they sell for VW cars. Also how was your experience with aliexpress especially the customs part. I'm looking for the anti glare blue tinted ORVM also from aliexpress.
I bought the Gentex auto dimming mirror from Amazon UK for £70 during my business trip earlier this year (There are local options, but quite pricy). The OEM mirror is slotted into a groove plastered to the windshield. So, all that would be required is to twist OEM mirror clockwise to ~90 degrees and pull it off the slot. Gentex mirror fits nicely onto the OEM plastered slot. However this whole process will have to be done gently, else it could damage the windshield. Hence I got it done with a car accessory shop. Below are some images of the OEM mirror, which will help understand the setup.

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0373.jpg

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0374.jpg

Even the adaptor provided by Gentex (free along with the kit) was not required and now gathering dust.

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0375.jpg

On a different note, my experience with Aliexpress has been extremely positive (barring the postal delays) and everything ordered so far has worked perfectly. Btw, anti glare blue tinted ORVM is on my list too, especially after seeing IRVM auto-dimming nicely and ORVM reflecting like this -
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_20150423_220129.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hey Ventoman, fantastic upgrades!

Please do shed more light on thenparts used for auto dimming mirror, about the adapter mainly, and if u canntell me which fuse position he took a new wire from? (A pic of the fusebox indicating the slot used would be very helpful!)

Thanks.
Unfortunately the whole car was crowded with their staff to see the auto dimming mirror (this was their first experience) and hence I couldn't take a snap. There is a fuse right underneath the gear transmission for the ACC and that's where an additional line was pulled for both dash cam and auto dimming mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit-Dude View Post
hey Ventoman, I have recently picked up a tsi comfortline. Do you hear the whistle sound while accelerating? the max mileage which i have managed so far ~150 kms is 12.5 kmpl on D mode. How has it fared for you till date?
Congratulations on your purchase!
I'm only hearing the engine growl and not any whistle sound. Could you please elaborate on from where you are hearing this?
As with regards to the mileage, it's been hovering between 10-13 kmpl on D mode in the city and 13-15 on highways in S mode. Few drives on the triptronic took these figures beyond 15.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 21:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase!
I'm only hearing the engine growl and not any whistle sound. Could you please elaborate on from where you are hearing this?
As with regards to the mileage, it's been hovering between 10-13 kmpl on D mode in the city and 13-15 on highways in S mode. Few drives on the triptronic took these figures beyond 15.

Its a hissing sound from the engine during acceleration. When the pedal is released the sound is gone. There is also a slight vibration from the accelerator pedal. I am surprised that the S and tiptronic modes are giving such great numbers. Guess i need to try the tiptronic mode tomorrow..😉 I find the steering quite light compared to my 2011 polo which feels heavier. How is the steering feel at high speeds 100+? I am yet to go beyond 80
Old 30th April 2015, 14:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Its a hissing sound from the engine during acceleration. When the pedal is released the sound is gone. There is also a slight vibration from the accelerator pedal. I am surprised that the S and tiptronic modes are giving such great numbers. Guess i need to try the tiptronic mode tomorrow..😉 I find the steering quite light compared to my 2011 polo which feels heavier. How is the steering feel at high speeds 100+? I am yet to go beyond 80
I took my car for a quick drive today morning and can confirm that I don't have both the hissing sound and vibration from Acceleration pedal.
Yes the triptronic is loads of fun to drive around and has given the best FE for me so far.
Steering wheel is lighter than my old TDI but weighs up close when over 100+. However the grooves and the flat bottom makes one hold it with a wide grin for a long time.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I took my car for a quick drive today morning and can confirm that I don't have both the hissing sound and vibration from Acceleration pedal.
Yes the triptronic is loads of fun to drive around and has given the best FE for me so far.
Steering wheel is lighter than my old TDI but weighs up close when over 100+. However the grooves and the flat bottom makes one hold it with a wide grin for a long time.

I am expecting a dealer service rep this weekend to investigate the issues. Getting used to the new steering wheel amazing feel I must admit especially while cornering.
My only grouse is the soft suspension and the rear thud. Is there an aftermarket way to stiffen the suspension?
Old 7th May 2015, 12:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I am expecting a dealer service rep this weekend to investigate the issues. Getting used to the new steering wheel amazing feel I must admit especially while cornering.
My only grouse is the soft suspension and the rear thud. Is there an aftermarket way to stiffen the suspension?
Please do keep us posted on how it goes this weekend.
Regarding suspension, quite a few Polo TSI owners here have changed to Bilstein B6 suspensions and their feedback has been extremely positive. For eg, you can find it in Robin's thread here .
Old 7th May 2015, 14:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!

Quote:
I have installed TRW rear struts on my Vento and the rear ones are miles stiffer than OEM struts from VW. I do not even remember when i last heard that loud sickening thud from the rear suspension. The rear goes flat over undulations.

You can go through my thread in modifications section about it, costs 3600 for a pair of rear struts.

Or else if you can afford, spend those 70k and go for Bilstein B6, ride will be harsher than stock but they will totally transform the dynamics.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 23:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have installed TRW rear struts on my Vento and the rear ones are miles stiffer than OEM struts from VW. I do not even remember when i last heard that loud sickening thud from the rear suspension. The rear goes flat over undulations.

You can go through my thread in modifications section about it, costs 3600 for a pair of rear struts.

Or else if you can afford, spend those 70k and go for Bilstein B6, ride will be harsher than stock but they will totally transform the dynamics.

Thanks coolboy I have checked the details. Plan to run in the car for at least 1000 kms and then decide on the replacement. It seems too early.
Managing so far by driving slow over potholes and uneven roads to avoid the thuds.
Also planning to get this done from my dealer even if its an additional k for labour. Not sure if i can trust any outside garage in Mumbai for this modification. ABS setting and wheel balancong can become an issue I have been told.
The suspension warranty from VW will be void it seems if I modify within the first 2 years.

Quote:
Please do keep us posted on how it goes this weekend.

Regarding suspension, quite a few Polo TSI owners here have changed to Bilstein B6 suspensions and their feedback has been extremely positive. For eg, you can find it in Robin's thread here .

The serviceman visited today. The hiss noise according to him is normal during rapid acceleration. He noticed some door noise and applied some liquid spray on all door rubber linings. Otherwise the engine seems silent during cruising.
Guess things improve with more run in. Enjoying my black beauty otherwise.
Will take a call on the suspension post 1000kms.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th May 2015 at 00:14. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
Old 4th July 2015, 18:09   #43
BHPian

Few updates

Time for an update.
The car is now close to 4k and just keeps getting better after every ride. D mode is no longer sluggish as upshifts are more refined now. I believe this is due to me taking the car on triptronic mode most of the time.

Other than that, there are few minor costmetic updates as below.

1. Magnetic cell phone holder as shared here.
2. Replaced the front cabin lights to Jetta's as others.

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_20150704_145931.jpg
3. Changed all interior lights to white LED. Hopefully the below picture depicts the differences in lighting now - Front is white LED; rear had the OEM (just for this pic).
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0534.jpg
4. Fitted Auto headlights, courtesy Ali bhai for $55/-. It was a simple DIY and hardly took few mins.
Kit received was as below.

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0549.jpg
New Auto switch is slightly longer than the OEM, but still fits properly.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0545.jpg
Press and pull out the existing switch
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0550.jpg
Pull out the front side panel. Swap the main connector to the auto sensor unit
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0551.jpg
Secure the auto sensor unit with these fasteners provided in the package.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0554.jpg
Drag out the sensor lead to a visible area in windshield; slot in new Auto switch to the slot and put back the side panels. All done.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0552.jpg

Next in list -

1. Cruise control and dead pedal from the upgraded Vento. I'll be doing it along with the 6 month checkup due in August.
2. Auto dimming outer RVM. (order placed at Ali express).
ventoman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 18:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Few updates

Quote:
Next in list -

1. Cruise control and dead pedal from the upgraded Vento. I'll be doing it along with the 6 month checkup due in August.
2. Auto dimming outer RVM. (order placed at Ali express).
Thanks for the update. Nice list of enhancements.

Have you finalized where you are going to get the cruise control done from. Are the dealers now doing it since it is now a standard fitment in the new vento?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 08:47   #45
BHPian

Re: Few updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks for the update. Nice list of enhancements.

Have you finalized where you are going to get the cruise control done from. Are the dealers now doing it since it is now a standard fitment in the new vento?
I'm speaking with VW Palace cross who have agreed for dead pedal but denying to retrofit cruise control as its a different BCM etc. I'll be looking at outside options only after 6 months and if VW service centers are not able to do it.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks