Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2015, 09:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Few updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
I'm speaking with VW Palace cross who have agreed for dead pedal but denying to retrofit cruise control as its a different BCM etc. I'll be looking at outside options only after 6 months and if VW service centers are not able to do it.
Thanks. Please let me know if palace cross agrees to do it. I also want to do it, but not keen on looking at outside options unless there is no choice.
Old 13th August 2015, 13:26   #47
BHPian

Re: My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!

@Ventoman - I came across this thread today - excellent, rated 5 stars!

I too am in the market for a new car and the Vento is my favourite at this moment. Given that you moved from the TDI to the TSI DSG, how do you compare the NVH factor when moving from a 44km run TDI to a new TSI and now?

The TDI does seem very tempting but is it really that over time it would sound like a tractor ?
execve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 15:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
@Ventoman - I came across this thread today - excellent, rated 5 stars!

I too am in the market for a new car and the Vento is my favourite at this moment. Given that you moved from the TDI to the TSI DSG, how do you compare the NVH factor when moving from a 44km run TDI to a new TSI and now?

The TDI does seem very tempting but is it really that over time it would sound like a tractor ?
The NVH and refinement of TSI engine was the driving factor for me to go to TSI DSG instead of TDI DSG. However, the TSI is slightly louder (from outside) when compared to the likes of Honda City, but nowhere near that of my old TDI. My family seem to feel the NVH benefits more than me after switching to TSI.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 09:36   #49
BHPian

5k, 6 months update

It's almost 6 months since we brought home our TSI and has fully adapted to my driving style in these 5k kms. I've mostly been using triptronic on highways which I think has resulted in D mode matching my style now. I no longer get those D2-D3 jerks and whole drive is butter smooth. ***touchwood***

My car is going for 6 months checkup tomorrow, during when I'll be getting the dead pedal fitted as well. I've also procured a GTI steering wheel (with paddles) and will get them fitted post the service checkup.

A couple of minor cosmetic updates have been in the meanwhile, thanks to Alibhai again!

1. GTI Pedal covers for $10

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_10912.jpg

2. Auto dimming convex mirror with turn indicators for $60. (does have heating option too, but our Polo/Vento don't have the corresponding module)
Thanks to
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
..3. Anti glare ORVM with indicators..
for providing the pointers

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_10952.jpg

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_10982.jpg
ventoman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 21:41   #50
BHPian

Re: 5k, 6 months update

Quote:
My car is going for 6 months checkup tomorrow, during when I'll be getting the dead pedal fitted as well. I've also procured a GTI steering wheel (with paddles) and will get them fitted post the service checkup.
Hi,

Were you able to get steering wheel and dead pedal installed at the service center?

Regards.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:07   #51
BHPian

Re: 5k, 6 months update

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

Were you able to get steering wheel and dead pedal installed at the service center?

Regards.
Unfortunately not. Apparently dead pedal comprises of two parts and they had placed order for only one of it. So have to get it done some time later this week.

However, got the GTi Steering wheel (with paddles) fitted at Adigas Automotives, a Bosch service centre. I'll share more on this after few drives with paddles.
Old 4th September 2015, 11:50   #52
BHPian

@ventoman - Lovely review , agree with every observation.

I am also moving from my 1.6 TDI highline ( 2011) to 1.2 TSI comfortline so your review was very helpful. Expecting delivery by end of this month. I am not happy with the exchange price offered by the dealers so looking for other options.
newway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 13:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
@ventoman - Lovely review , agree with every observation.

I am also moving from my 1.6 TDI highline ( 2011) to 1.2 TSI comfortline so your review was very helpful. Expecting delivery by end of this month. I am not happy with the exchange price offered by the dealers so looking for other options.
Thanks newway!
Congratulations and wishing you all the very best for switching over to TSI. Please do not go to dealers for exchange offer as their quote is ridiculous. Do try our own classifieds and Olx, Quickr etc.
Old 6th September 2015, 19:03   #54
BHPian

6 months update

Time for an update -

6 months check up & Dead pedal fitment
The 6 months check up finished without much fuss excepting that I had to visit them again for Dead Pedal fitment despite placing an order for it, 2 weeks in advance. Dead Pedal comprises of 2 parts -Dead Pedal itself (6Q2864417) and its cover (6Q2864777 9B9) together costing about Rs.1650/-. Labor is another 350/-. They didn't know that the cover was a separate part and had to order it again. However, the whole fitment was done in less than an hour despite my vinyl flooring. Below is a pic and I hope you can make out the difference.

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-deadpedal2.jpg

Paddles - oh Yes!!!
This is by far the best upgrade and will continue to be so. Quite like very many TSI owners on this forum, I too swapped the OEM wheel to a GTI version with Paddles.

Purchase
Thanks to d_himan, devil5 who directed me to a spare set that was originally part of a group buy. And most of them from that group have successfully swapped to this wheel. So I was confident of its working and went ahead with the purchase. However, I decided to wait for the 1st checkup to be done before proceeding with this swap.

Fitment
I drove down to Adigas Automobiles (a Bosch authorized workshop frequented by our own kryptonite too) for the swap. Originally we thought it'll be plug and play. However, the new OEM flat bottom steering wheel has a very tiny groove for detaching the airbag and it took a while to dismantle OEM wheel. New wheel was fitted in a jiffy and paddles worked straightaway without any VCDS coding too!
Sounds like a gifted day for such mods, doesn't it? Well, well...trouble started with "ESP off" indicator glowing on the MFD, when we took the car out for a quick test drive. VCDS scan confirmed an error on Steering angle assist. Thanks to d_himan and devil5 yet again for assisting me with their experiences during this panic moment. Fortunately kryptonite also was around in the garage at that time and we were trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Finally it was found that the wheel spun slightly more on left than on right and hence the steering sensor (black ring on top of steering column) was rotated one more round towards left and the error went away.

Experience so far
I have driven about 1000 kms since the swap, thanks to a round trip to hometown. These paddles make a world of difference in those tight overtaking manures and helps to constantly stay in the turbo zone.

+ves of this swap
  • Paddles (or triptronic) can be enabled instantly in both D & S modes
  • Can be disabled by long pressing the + button to hand over control back to D or S mode.
  • Provides full control on the wheel whilst shifting gears in tight situations
  • OEM fitment with red stitches and white back light that gels with rest of interiors.
  • All steering wheel controls work as before with OEM. No VCDS changes required.
-ves of this swap
  • Those who got used to the new OEM wheel with extended horn pads will be in for a disappointment. (At least I felt that way. These pads are as good as the OEM ones prior to flat bottom upgrade)
  • -ve shifts (left hand) is in a bit of a squeeze, especially if you have to frequently use the lane shift indicators too. I once downshifted instead of turning on lane shift indicators.
Now time for some pictures

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_1099.jpg

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_1108.jpg

Next set of mods
  1. Cruise control - Yes, still in the list as I'm yet to receive the wiring harness from china.
  2. Paddle shift extenders.

Last edited by ventoman : 6th September 2015 at 19:12.
ventoman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 19:24   #55
BHPian

Re: 6 months update

Quote:
Fitment
I drove down to Adigas Automobiles (a Bosch authorized workshop frequented by our own kryptonite too) for the swap.
Hi ventoman,

Would change from GTI steering to Stock steering (and vice versa) be half an hour job. If this is the case then we can get this swap done before/after yearly service, till the extended warranty expires.

Regards.
Old 14th September 2015, 10:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi ventoman,

Would change from GTI steering to Stock steering (and vice versa) be half an hour job. If this is the case then we can get this swap done before/after yearly service, till the extended warranty expires.

Regards.
I heard it was much easier with pre-facelift steering as one could easily access the airbag lock. However, if you have one of these new ones - it could be more than an hour's job as the access to airbag is slightly complicated.

My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-img_0353.jpg

And every time you swap, you need to ensure that things like steering assist and ESP are not disturbed. That depends on the workmanship of your FNG.
Old 14th September 2015, 12:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b][*]Cruise control - Yes, still in the list as I'm yet to receive the wiring harness from china.[/list]

Please provide us with a link. I want to buy it too!
Old 15th September 2015, 09:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Please provide us with a link. I want to buy it too!
I bought it off ebay UK website for £60. However It didn't come with the wiring harness. From what I understand so far, the part number is 6R0953521B for newer Polo/Vento as the MFD display buttons are now integrated to steering wheel.
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-cruise-control-stalk.jpg

Pre-facelift Polo/Vento (prior to Q3 2014) had the MFD display buttons on the stalk and they need one as below for cruise control
My VW Vento Chronicles - From TDI to TSI!-cruise-control-dis.jpg

In Summary, my understanding of this retrofit is -
  • If your existing stalk has MFD display and if your stock BCM is 087 and above, it's merely a task of swapping the stalk
  • If your existing stalk does not have MFD display and if your stock BCM is 087 and above, then you need to route the wiring to BCM and ECU.
In my case it's the latter and I'm still awaiting the wiring harness ordered from Aliexpress. I'd rather post the link for wiring once it reaches me.
ventoman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 09:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

I am in Category II as well.

I think I will buy the package on AliExpress. It comes with the harness, but Gannu_1 had some reservations and asked to buy some bulbed out part of the harness... I am confused, waiting for him to reply.
Old 30th September 2015, 12:05   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Time for an update -

6 months check up & Dead pedal fitment
The 6 months check up finished without much fuss excepting that I had to visit them again for Dead Pedal fitment despite placing an order for it, 2 weeks in advance. Dead Pedal comprises of 2 parts -Dead Pedal itself (6Q2864417) and its cover (6Q2864777 9B9) together costing about Rs.1650/-. Labor is another 350/-. They didn't know that the cover was a separate part and had to order it again. However, the whole fitment was done in less than an hour despite my vinyl flooring. Below is a pic and I hope you can make out the difference.
Hi ventoman, Had a few questions.
  • Which service center did you do the 6 months check up from? Also, how did you place the order for the dead pedal?
  • Did you check with them about DSG Software updates that some members have reported doing?

My 2nd service is coming up and thinking about which service center to take the car to. Want to ensure that the DSG update and the dead pedal fitment can also be done. Hence the questions. Don't mind traveling to a center that has some clue of the above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks