Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 11:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L

Congratulations and Thanks for sharing such a detailed review!!

IMO S-Cross in Blue color is the best of all. You have taken a wise decision in buying S-Cross and that too fully loaded model.

While i believe that being a diesel engine, the FE would gradually increase.

All the best and hope to see a long term report from your side.
Happy Miles!!
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 17:02   #32
BHPian

Congratulations Sudeep on your new ride. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on your new car.

Were you inclined to change the alloys to the black ones that someone had fitted from the Nexa showroom ? Looking forward to a long term ownership thread from you.
Great review and great pictures.
Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 18:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Thanks again Sudeep. IIRC I came across about peted 1.3 MJD elsewhere which is kind of plug and play and you can remove the stuff when you take it to the service center. or am I wrong?
I have heard about this plug and play, but there is not a lot of information on how that works. I am a novice at remap and the options and only guided by Code6. They have pretty good reviews. I'll be exploring those options too when I really plan my remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Were you inclined to change the alloys to the black ones that someone had fitted from the Nexa showroom ?
Thanks!

Like everyone else, I wanted to change the alloys but not from Nexa. The choices at Nexa are very poor. I like the alloys that Volkman has on his granite gray S-Cross. The folks at Sai Iyengar tyres advised that I shouldn't really bother changing alloys but should consider replacing 4 tyres because that is one of the most important things between the car and the road surface. Further, no one is really offering a great buy back on the stock alloys. I realized that it's doesn't make much economic sense for me at this time to invest in alloys with the current options. So I have deferred the purchase for now.

Updates

The wiper blades were replaced under warranty. FYI - The cost for a set of blades on the bill is 903.92 - (572.05 + 331.87). The wipers are now cleaning properly and I am happy that the issue is resolved.

Next Up: Change of head rests at the back side.

Some Pictures of the car

Front

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-front2.jpg
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-front3quart.jpg
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-headlamp1.jpg

Notice the windshield has a slightly different shade due to the 3m CR-70 film

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-wp_20151004_11_48_52_pro.jpg
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-windshield.jpg

Side and Rear

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-sideprofile.jpg
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-rear3quarter.jpg
Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-back.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2016 at 17:41. Reason: Replacing images
sudeepg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:19   #34
BHPian

Congratulation sudeepg for owning the best and the most value for money cross available in the market. In my opinion this is the best shade for S-Cross which highlights all the design elements and helps in being exclusive in the crowd which is required because of its simplistic design.

Don't you think using sun-film will invite trouble from the local police as IIRC, adding any kind/transparency of film is illegal?
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 11:41   #35
BHPian

Congrats Sudeep on your new Car.

Great and detailed write up, complimented by nice pics.

Wishing you and family the very best in your new acquisition. Enjoy the ride.

Liked the way you started your write " The itch for the change in car.....". I too get this itch once a while.
MindOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 12:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Don't you think using sun-film will invite trouble from the local police as IIRC, adding any kind/transparency of film is illegal?
The film is applied only on the front windshield and has 70% VLT. It's difficult to detect and I am hoping that should be OK.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 13:10   #37
BHPian

Congratulations Sudeep!. Wish you many happy miles ahead
  • No ESP, EBD at this price point.
The above point confused me, I know there is no ESP but EBD comes with the ABS.

went straight to Sai Iyengar for change of tyres, but even after repeated calls to Ashwin in the morning to keep the Pirelli’s ready, there were no tyres in stock. So ditched the plan. By the time I wrote this review, the car had done about 150 KMs.

I had a similar experience with Sai Iyengar (Bannerghatta Road, Rep: Nithin / Praveen). Far worse actually. I went days ahead of buying the car and asked for the Michelin Primacy 3ST tires. They said they readily have the tires and I need to call before coming in. After the day of taking the delivery, I called and was asked to come in for the change. They took the car in as soon as I went and were in the process of taking the tires off but got a call and stopped for 15 minutes and asked me to wait. Then they tell me that they do not have the tires. Promised to get the tires for me the next day and despite repeated calls for the next two days they were still not able to get the tires for me. I had the new car parked at my home all this while. Finally went for the Conti's at a nearby dealer

a. Head rests. It clearly sinks into your neck and it's not at all comfortable. I was well aware of this problem and will find a resolution shortly. I'll share the details after the work is done

+1 to that. Please let me know how you intend to fix that.

T-BHP Folks: My sincerest thanks to S2!!, GTO and any other folks involved with the official reviews of S-Cross and Creta. The reviews greatly influenced our purchasing decisions. Team-BHPians who were lucky to lay their hands on S-Cross before me (SandyGordon/volkman,Satishtv) to name a few. Their feedback on these forums have immensely helped me execute a lot of things during the purchase process. I hope you enjoyed reading my ownership report as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I am glad that my posts were helpful. I too got a lot of help from the posts of S2, SandyGordon & Volkman.

a. Under Chassis Coating @ 4783 INR with 5 year warranty (S-Cross falls in medium SUV category)

I got it for the exact same amount

c. Paint Protection Films on door edges, mirrors and behind door handles @ ~12000 INR

I got this done for Rs. 4098. I also got it done for the area inside the door where we are most likely to scratch while getting in. Did you get the bumpers covered as well? Volkman paid 12000 including the bumpers.

Please keep us posted on your journey with your new machine. All the best!
Satishtv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 17:11   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulation sudeepg thats a good looking car. Drive safe and avoid the Bangalore road rage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Upon sale of my Honda through gozoomo.com
Can you elaborate a little on this? how does it work? How competitive are their rates? Do they really do all the checks they claim they do?
Quote:
The doors also lock as you start off – pretty good!
My 6 year old WagonR has this. Surprised to see that this is not a standard feature on most cars today.I thought this would be must a must for every "family" car
Quote:
See the plastic covering under the body? Really good!
Surprised to see this. Don’t remember seeing this in the TBHP review. Not sure if I missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
Quote:
The film is applied only on the front windshield and has 70% VLT. It's difficult to detect and I am hoping that should be OK.
Have been driving round for the last couple of years with CR70 on the wind shield and RE70 on the windows. Cops in KA/TN/KL/AP don’t realise that you have a film on the glass surface due to the VLT. But yes, I do agree that its illegal and we only have the beautiful judicial system in our country to blame.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 18:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can you elaborate a little on this? how does it work? How competitive are their rates? Do they really do all the checks they claim they do?
They are promoting their brand and site. I wasn't aware of them until they reached out to me and offered to list my car for free. They send one of their executives for inspection. They do a pretty thorough inspection of the car - the engine compartment, body, interiors, underside. They also drive the car to get a feel of the mechanicals. Once the inspection is completed, they take lots of pictures. The cost we ask for is also uploaded into the system. If a buyer likes you car, you will get a notification via email or SMS. Once the deal is fixed, they will help in vehicle transfer. The seller gets a 5k voucher which can be redeemed on a new car purchase (Invoice to be submitted). The buyer gets a 5K voucher for refurbishments.

What I like about them is that their presentation on the site is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Surprised to see this. Don’t remember seeing this in the TBHP review. Not sure if I missed it.
I guess this is standard and there doesn't need to have a special mention about it anymore. The good thing about S-Cross is that it shows you exactly which door is open. Once I washed the car and started driving without the boot being latched properly. This is what I got - NEAT!

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-bootopen.jpg

If you leave the car with the pilot lamps on, then you get the below warning on MID with an audible alarm.

Journey from a Honda City to the Maruti S-Cross 1.3L-lightsonwarn.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
  • No ESP, EBD at this price point.
The above point confused me, I know there is no ESP but EBD comes with the ABS.
I think EBD is a separate unit, although I am not 100% sure. I just checked the brochure of S-Cross and it doesn't say so. Usually, I find that they call it out as "ABS with EBD"
The other reason why I think so is because ABS prevents wheel lock up where as EBD automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of the brakes based on road conditions, speed and loading. So they are not functions in a single unit as far as I understand

Last edited by sudeepg : 8th October 2015 at 18:39.
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 09:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I think EBD is a separate unit, although I am not 100% sure. I just checked the brochure of S-Cross and it doesn't say so. Usually, I find that they call it out as "ABS with EBD"
The other reason why I think so is because ABS prevents wheel lock up where as EBD automatically varies the amount of force applied to each of the brakes based on road conditions, speed and loading. So they are not functions in a single unit as far as I understand
Sudeep, Congratulations on getting your new S-Cross. By the way, I had a chance to have a private chat with a person, Viju in this forum. He is involved in design and testing of ABS. He for sure says that EBD has to be there in all the cars with ABS these days (The manufacturers hence don't advertise this separately). The last car he knows of without EBD is perhaps Zen Estilo. This EBD seems to be a purely software manipulation. The physical actuators are exactly that of what ABS unit already provides.
roby.thomas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 09:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
Sudeep, Congratulations on getting your new S-Cross. By the way, I had a chance to have a private chat with a person, Viju in this forum. He is involved in design and testing of ABS. He for sure says that EBD has to be there in all the cars with ABS these days (The manufacturers hence don't advertise this separately). The last car he knows of without EBD is perhaps Zen Estilo. This EBD seems to be a purely software manipulation. The physical actuators are exactly that of what ABS unit already provides.
That is some excellent information. Thanks for sharing. Is there any information available on how all of this mechanism works?
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 10:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
That is some excellent information. Thanks for sharing. Is there any information available on how all of this mechanism works?
Well, I can only quote Viju here. He has explained it absolutely well . When you click on the below quote, hopefully it takes you to that ABS discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
That is all I can say with respect to basic functioning of ABS without getting too technical.
Old 9th October 2015, 10:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Notice the windshield has a slightly different shade due to the 3m CR-70 film
Congratulations on your acquisition. The SCross looks great on
this color and the brown one.

How is the night time visibility with the 3M CR-70 film?. Does it
reduce any glaring at all?. What is the cost involved?.

Thanks.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 14:54   #44
t0m
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Sudeep on choosing to go against the tide and opting for the most VFM ride available. When I purchased the S-Cross, the first question people asked me, why not Creta. None of them do anymore after having a drive in the car and seeing the comparative feature list. I believe most people still do not research about cars before buying and just go with the popular choices. Most people i talked to were not even aware of the features available in S-Cross.

You are going to be my engine tuning guru Sudeep as I am also planning to augment the engine performance. Although i am more tilted towards a race chip instead of remapping or a tuning box. Do update the thread about what you do on this.

One question for the fellow owners, the maps Suzuki claims are Here maps but i scoured the sd card and did not find any Here maps signature. They seem to be the Cryptnav maps available from Garmin and are a very old copy. Mine are dated Q2 2014. Cryptnav Q3 2015 maps are already out and my RM did not have a clue about the next update we would be getting. Of course i can go ahead and find a cracked copy of the latest update and copy it over to the sd card. Surprisingly the sd card is not hardware protected and can be written to. But I would prefer a legitimate update. Does anyone has information regarding this?

Last edited by t0m : 10th October 2015 at 15:00.
t0m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 15:25   #45
BHPian

Hi Sudeep, congratulations for your new set of wheels. Enjoyed reading your ownership report. Having came from a City, do you feel your 1.3 S Cross is an real upgrade other than the features & higher GC?
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks